Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Data Graham posted:

The back better be the line about that bridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I just noticed Top Gear is back with Season 29, did anyone watch last weeks episode?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah I enjoyed it

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

How/where do people watch this in the US without BBC America? I have used iTunes in the past, but for some they seem to be about 6 months behind on releasing these episodes. They are just about it finish with season 28 (episode 6 should be released tonight). I tried BritBox but it didn't have Top Gear, which I thought was very odd.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
A VPN that tells the BBC website you're in England is one method.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Toe Rag posted:

They are just about it finish with season 28 (episode 6 should be released tonight).

Because that's where the US airings are right now. Season 28 Episode 6 airs tonight on BBC America. Who knows when season 29 will come, but it's not going to be legally viewable to anyone in the US until BBC America airs it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Pretty solid ep yesterday. The F40/XJ220 segment was great. Paddy's off with the Diablo was painful though, but at least of the three that was probably the least valuable? Wonder who lent them that car and how that phone call went.

I was also cringing along with Chris when that RS was getting beat up, but I was super glad he got it fixed up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mmmm mmmm mmmm, mmmm mmmm mmmm, merchandise is kind of getting me excited!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Great ep. The guys have great chemistry and I thought the challenge was great. Not going too far into whacky stuff (now turn your car into a food truck) but going all out with the impressive wall of death finale.

Did anyone else notice the horrible rattles in the 220 on the top speed run though? Jesus. Like, of course a 30yo Jag rattles, but that seemed bad enough that no way am I keeping it buried for 200mph :magical:

Also enjoyed Freddie’s sheer excitement, comparing it to his cricket days x100 or whatever, impressive given the guy bowled easily two of the greatest overs in test cricket history. Demolishing Kallis in 2008 is textbook perfect, perfectly distilling the chess-like strategy of test cricket down to one perfect over. Do not want to face 150kmh bouncers from someone that tall.
https://youtu.be/NziCH4Tx3CQ

Bonus vid running out Ponting because loving off smug wanker Ponting is always a good time.
https://youtu.be/xHzL-TIF_Bc

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Because that's where the US airings are right now. Season 28 Episode 6 airs tonight on BBC America. Who knows when season 29 will come, but it's not going to be legally viewable to anyone in the US until BBC America airs it.

:negative:

I don't really understand why they would delay the broadcast over here by so much. I guess I'll have to do something else, then.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah both so far were good. Bringing something new to the cheap car challenge is always fun.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Seconding that the chemistry between this trio is great and feels way more like Old Top Gear (seasons 2-17 or so) than the last 3 or 4 seasons of Clarkson/May/Hammond did, where you can tell they're all just sick of the same couple of jokes/pranks (and each other) and are basically just going through the motions.

Grand Tour has improved a lot over the course of the show though, by midway through season 3 it is starting to regain the stride.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Toe Rag posted:

:negative:

I don't really understand why they would delay the broadcast over here by so much. I guess I'll have to do something else, then.
It's because the cut of the show they broadcast on BBC2 and make available via iPlayer contains licensed music that they can only afford to use thanks to a special set of rules that apply only to BBC content being broadcast to the UK and a few other countries. They legally can't make that cut available to anyone else (though due to the nature of the BBC they obviously are a lot less concerned about international piracy of their content than most broadcasters would be).

The version shown on BBCA and made available for home purchase replaces most of that with stock music and IIRC at least some seasons they cut out segments like The News to make room for commercials.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And it's awful, the music is such a huge part of some specials like the Bolivia one

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Whoa the US/world get different soundtracks too? But that's some of the best parts! I used to love watching it and noting that whoever picked the soundtrack in certain episodes had similar taste to me.

If you have a VPN just make a fake account and throw in a UK postcode, gently caress waiting 6+ months for it. You have my blessing as someone who pays the license fee.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The music doesn't explain the delays because they were releasing them the same day for awhile there.

The real reason is Top Gear isn't as popular as it used to be so it's not a priority for them anymore.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Did anyone else notice the horrible rattles in the 220 on the top speed run though? Jesus. Like, of course a 30yo Jag rattles, but that seemed bad enough that no way am I keeping it buried for 200mph :magical:

It really did sound like that thing was ready to pop as the speeds were going up. The turbo sounds though :discourse:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, all that said, I just looked at BBC-A schedule and Sunday at 8pm they have S29 E1 one listed, so it looks like maybe they are just going right into it?

That may have been the delay for the prior season, they wanted more than 6 weeks of programming.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Whoa the US/world get different soundtracks too? But that's some of the best parts! I used to love watching it and noting that whoever picked the soundtrack in certain episodes had similar taste to me.

If you have a VPN just make a fake account and throw in a UK postcode, gently caress waiting 6+ months for it. You have my blessing as someone who pays the license fee.

Just curious, does this allow you to watch old episodes as well?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-glN3ReMrw

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hell drat yes

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Residency Evil posted:

Just curious, does this allow you to watch old episodes as well?

Seems it only goes back to season 24. I mean they obviously own the rights to all of them so ideally they should put them all on because it's such as well-watched show.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Is The News still a thing that I’ve been missing the last few series due to only getting BBCA/Motortrend cuts/archives? I always liked that part and frankly could do without the guest segment

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, The News seems like an odd segment to cut when no one in the US usually has any idea who the guest is.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's probably the easiest thing to cut since it's so UK specific.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
And now let's welcome Jimmy Slippyslop from Slippyslop's Grand Parade, a show that aired once on BBC2 on June 17th 1965. What was your first car, Jimmy?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Chris Knight posted:

It's probably the easiest thing to cut since it's so UK specific.

And the guest segment isn't?

Maybe, maybe there's like one guest per season that I've heard of and there's like 1 guest every 3 seasons that I'm familiar with their work.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I thought the guest was the easiest thing to cut lol

Ya the news is way more interesting to me than whatever random guest and the lap stuff that's all usually real forced.

I mostly watch for the presenters and hearing them just semi freeform bitch about things is great in that little 8 minutes or so.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would much rather hear about whatever lame traffic laws there are in London than listen to someone I've never heard of talk about how they had a Peugot 204 as a teenager.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The guest segment in the original Top Gear was always almost precisely ten minutes long. Which was great because it made skipping it a breeze.

Over all the years, all the guests, there are maybe half a dozen I would ever sit through on a re-watch.

The news segments, on the other hand, were always some of the top moments of the show. All three of them together, shooting the poo poo about whatever came across their desk that week. All the incredible chemistry the hosts had was never highlighted more than when they were doing the news.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The guest segment in the original Top Gear was always almost precisely ten minutes long. Which was great because it made skipping it a breeze.

Over all the years, all the guests, there are maybe half a dozen I would ever sit through on a re-watch.

The news segments, on the other hand, were always some of the top moments of the show. All three of them together, shooting the poo poo about whatever came across their desk that week. All the incredible chemistry the hosts had was never highlighted more than when they were doing the news.

It was basically a prop comedy / observational humor segment. Any "news" content was purely incidental. When they tried bringing it to TGUSA they totally forgot to make it funny so it was like "....what the gently caress, I'd rather see a SIARPC than this"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ross Noble's tank story is a classic for the ages.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
A meetup in Portmeirion? Be seeing you...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The bangers & mash 99 was loving genius.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
:toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYrY4_9R_0

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I can't wait :allears:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Seems it only goes back to season 24. I mean they obviously own the rights to all of them so ideally they should put them all on because it's such as well-watched show.

So there's no way for someone in the UK to watch Top Gear the way it was originally broadcast?

December 18th for those of us that are lazy.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
James' "Oh Cook" cooking show is on Prime and it's and good as you'd expect.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

One episode a year. Must be nice.

Also, can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One episode a year. Must be nice.

Also, can't wait.

Probably the last one they do, to be honest. They aren't getting any younger.