Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

blk posted:

PS: motoring journalists, for gently caress's sake, when talking about cultures you don't understand, please stop trying to make cute analogies. You don't need to talk about tortillas when reviewing a Mexican car. You don't need to talk about sushi, sumo, geisha or giant robots when talking about a Japanese car. Stop.

You realize the tortilla thing was a gag, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

angryhampster posted:

Top Gear had integrity?

Maybe he thinks this about the old top gear? The more I read it the less I understand that post.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Like Fry posted right above you, it's a two parter with the first part airing on the 3rd of March and the 2nd part on the 10th.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
That was pretty grand I must say.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

jeff8472 posted:

He also claims to have smoked 1/2 a million cigarettes. That has to do some damage

Did he mean this year?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Oh god I'm so excited new top gear tonight!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Here in Germany it's Pew-joe, with a soft j.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Ecstatic posted:

Has Tom Chilton always been in there? I only recognize the name now because of his brother being so terrible at F1.

Yeah he's been in every single one of the "touring car guys come and smash poo poo up" races I think.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Sedgr posted:

Can Clarkson cross Poland without making a joke?

Clarkson can't even think of Poland without making a joke.

It's a great idea though.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Fucknag posted:

So the Moon is U.S. territory then?

Duh, that's basically the whole reason why Russia lost the cold war, they got outflanked via moon.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Pretty much the entire hover van parts had me giggling like a mad man, pretty great.

Hovercrafts are a blast.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

beedeebee posted:

It was hilarious, even the SIARPC segement was good.

Hah, yeah, Hugh Jackman talking about walking around a japanese spa or whatever with his junk hanging out was pretty funny.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

sincx posted:

I think both the caravan losing its wheel and the caravan tipping over are staged.

You can see the right wheel of the lost-wheel caravan wobble the entire run; it's clearly been loosened ahead of time.

For the caravan that tipped over, you can see smoke coming from the left wheel; they probably locked up its brakes ahead of time to make it unbalanced.

He was braking for the corner, you can see the brakes on the caravan lock as he slows to make the turn.

Also the wheel gets loose after the first couple corners because what they're doing is so far outside the boundary of what a caravan and its wheels have to go through that it just gets completely hosed right away.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Slo-Tek posted:

You'd maybe rather watch a boring car drive a caravan around a track on all 6 wheels in 2:10 seconds....twice?

What? I was trying to explain to the dude who was crying "Staged!" why maybe it wasn't that staged?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I think the unofficial date is January 26th, but we'll see I guess.

I hope so, I need some new Top Gear.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

You Am I posted:

It's Captain Slow not Mr Slowly :mad:

Not according to the Italians.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Djarum posted:

The strawberries thing is very much a LA high end thing. For whatever reason in LA they love putting strawberries are decor. You check into a high end hotel and there are strawberries, get you cleaning with strawberries.

It is a odd thing and I have never seen it anywhere else. Also strawberries and very common in the US where in much of the rest of the world it isn't, especially the UK. It is like peanut butter or maple syrup, you won't see it anywhere but the US.

The cheese thing is probably a better joke and less inside baseball. I can't believe what Americans will put cheese on.

Can you take another stab at this because holy poo poo is it hard to read.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm an American and i read it just fine.

Oh wait are you from the south? :ohdear:

Maybe I'm overreacting but it's like trying to parse a Rirse post.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Negromancer posted:

I know its a thing in lots of places, but that is one of the few things I can not get behind putting cheese on.

That's way overdone but a nice piece of cheddar with apple pie is nice.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Alighieri posted:

All US petrol stations are run by hicks like when Top Gear visited Alabama and had Hillary is great spray painted onto their cars. Then you get chased for a few miles by shirtless sweaty men in the back of an old pickup truck. Also we all have guns.

These things are all true.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

StarcraftM posted:

I knew I wasn't crazy!

That Chernobyl segment was -awesome-.

It was actually pretty tense too, with the background chatter of the geiger counter slowly getting more insistent.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I think this might be the best special they've done, man. Awesome stuff, funny jokes, the truck modifications are awesome, etc.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Tommychu posted:

Can I sue TG/Jezza too? Any time the subject of North America comes up he's always on about how it's a continent whose entire population consists of fat, stupid sister-fuckers. He's written entire columns about how daft the Americans are (and frequently groups Canada with the US). It's not even remotely subtle.

I don't think you can sue someone for writing things that are true.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

West SAAB Story posted:

shut up you are all niggers with no jobs

Well I mean you're half right but geez man.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Boy this is getting extremely racist.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
James May IS a pretty lady.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Ok, cool.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
That's worth it just to hear him yell at the end.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Because it's loving gorgeous and incredibly interesting and it's a great place to do an adventure roadtrip and that's the southernmost city in the world and the capital of the province?

No, I'm sure they did it because they wanted to make some falkland jokes.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 5, 2014

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Wow don't talk like that about the Dacia Sandero.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
They poo poo on everything not specifically made in the UK for being foreign and then they poo poo on everything made in the UK because it's garbage.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Oh man the loving bridge joke was amazing.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Jeremy asks if they think the bridge is straight and Hammond practically shouts, YES. STRAIGHTEST BRIDGE EVER, YES.

Because of the "our bridge has a slope on it" controversy from the river kwai special.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
He's transformed into his final form. American Redneck Trucker.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Don't forget the followup pictures (He was shaving):

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Cat Hatter posted:

The way read it, it was an insurance mandated, dealer installed aftermarket alarm (and he bitched about it a bit in this episode too).

Didn't Jeremy already have his Ford GT when they made that road trip? I could see him being a bit more unforgiving of the poor fuel consumption if he's used to it not being the BBC's money pouring into the tank.

As far as I know that france road trip was literally in HIS Ford GT.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Jehde posted:

I felt this episode was better than last weeks. It had it all: a three car challenge, something grandiose, tongue in cheek political humour, May being a smart rear end. :allears:

Yeah the first ep was pretty solid but this was a really, really good one.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Fo3 posted:

That's a SIARPC segment I can skip.

What is wrong with you.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Fo3 posted:

How could you be so wrong?
Have you heard of acting?

Are you implying that the friendship of the hosts is only scripted, because they're all pretty clearly, to my eyes, friends in a genuine sense, and that is a huge reason why the show works.

Anyway, I like cars and stuff, but the reason I personally watch the show is because of the hosts. There's a reason why many or most of the big specials are considered the best episodes, and it's because they're focused on the interactions of the guys instead of them doing thing seperately. If they brought in someone to replace Clarkson, I would still give it a shot but I suspect that the show would lose a lot of what makes it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

D C posted:

The show dies with Clarkson.

It almost certainly will, yes.

Hopefully it doesn't (that is to say, hopefully he doesn't get canned and the whole thing goes down the drain).

I'll miss Top Gear a lot.