Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
About the fake Andy Wilman -- I've read some notes from him in the past, I think regarding their ever-shrinking budget. And he did have trouble with run-on sentences. Though not as bad as that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lusso posted:

and a desire for almost total control over their cars.

I'm assuming that's why TG ran it with the tires it had on -- because the agreement with Ferrari was to use those and only those tires.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

In the Pony Express challenge, I would have begged the producers to let me drive the Stang on the grass and dirt route. It'd pretty much be the best part of Vanishing Point :black101:

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 26, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Those cars (with the exception of the smart car, I suppose) are all perfectly fine on the highway.

They're ok, but they're also on the low end of what a buyer would be comfortable with. The aspersions about noise and floatiness are grounded in reality.

I hope non-Americans watching this don't get the wrong ideas about those Cajuns and do get the right ideas about how delicious crawdads are.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pilsner posted:

I call it nonsense, almost as if they say it out of habit when reviewing a small car. Half of Europe does fine on the motorways in small cars without complaining.

Yeah, but it doesn't mean Americans aren't used to something different. I found the 500 much more stable at speed than a Yaris, but both are more darty than a bigger car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

You guys are piquing my curiosity.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Edit : And also add the fact most motoring journalists are really bad drivers! Chris Harris is a very rare exception.
What would be far more interesting that Ring times for different cars would be Ring times for different journos in a spec car, or Top Gear lap times.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Doug Demuro just put this out: http://jalopnik.com/what-happens-to-press-cars-when-the-press-is-done-with-1747509578
With not much to back his claim up, he says most cars get sold to retail customers.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Lol at Sabine standing on tiptoes. New Hammond.

I think her boots just have heels?

With this many hosts, they should do Reasonable Car laps to see who's the real deal.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Scottw330 posted:

Speaking of really old things, I wish they would do more with really old cars, especially steam/electric cars.

The older cars get, the fewer there are, and the more restrictions on what you can do with them. I've no need to see the crew driving an old car sedately around a parking lot. May could do that stuff on YouTube.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

You guys are making it real hard for white Ferrari owners.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Anyway, only annoying part imo was the stupid Air Force 'fight' that plain went on too long.

That must have been kind of a drag for the crowd to play along with to shoot.

Tricky Ed posted:

And the cinematography somehow got better.

It was great but I thought they really overdid vignetting in a lot of places. Like I need to get 4K to still experience 1080p in the middle of the screen that isn't blacked out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

It only exists because the law requires their entire range to have an average fuel economy. So if they want their DB11 to get 15mpg, they need another vehicle that gets 60mpg or whatever to bring the average up.

Which country had the law? And is it weighted average of distance/fuel or fuel/distance (which conceivably makes more sense)?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Data Graham posted:

That's my point, it doesn't. But people probably think it does because they're misinterpreting the term.

It's been misused like that long enough that it's accepted. Some people say jet blonde to mean platinum blonde.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is anyone watching in HDR-10? I wonder if that helps with the apparent overvignetting in the normal HD signal.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Does anyone know what the camper van carrying huge tents in Namibia pt 2 were?
I can see lots of camper van hires, but nothing with that specific setup.
Also, do any of those rentals come fully guided? Or otherwise provide a guide/butler to set up camp for you?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

I was expecting the show to be somewhat ruined based on Edd's statements when he quit. But yeah, it's identical. Ant is good in the fabrication department as well.

I thought Jalopnik said the first episode went into a ton of detail about the mechanical stuff? Wouldn't be surprised if they just laid the groundwork for streamlining it for the rest of the season though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I watch with the subtitles on, and it's a bit annoying that whoever transcribes it is not a car person.
This last episode, Clarkson talks about the turn-in on the Aston, and it's subtitled as "turning."
It's a quality issue for Amazon, imo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

jamal posted:

I doubt they actually raced those cars head to head flat out. And I don't think the gt2 would have a chance if they did.

Yeah, it felt almost like a sellout for May to make it seem like 1000kg is something that modern technology might be able to overcome.
What kind of rubber would the 917 be on, period stuff? If it's not brand new, I could see them not wanting to run for long if they heated up weirdly.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Who's the production crew who did Our Man in Japan? Wonder if the production drama was manufactured at all, and if not, if James ever did that in TG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

And him wanting to perfect his piano tuning while the rest of the production crew left.