Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
It was an ok episode, but listening to Clarkson rag on alternative energy for the thousandth time is getting really old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

thelightguy posted:

Because driving into NJ involves jersey drivers and driving out of NJ involves paying tolls.

As someone who grew up in Jersey, I actually don't know of a single way to leave that doesn't involve paying a toll. There are only a few border crossings to the west and south due to the Delaware and north or east is New York. They love letting you in for free but gently caress you if you want to leave.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Where 295 loops around Trenton and turns into 95 in PA is free. I think there might be a few single lane country roads elsewhere.

That would explain why I didn't know about it. I stayed away from Trenton like it had the plague. Which it may as well have.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

IceAgeComing posted:

its ok to like top gear as a dumb car show: but if you start taking the political views of jeremy clarkson seriously then you deserve to be mocked

While I agree with this for the most part, it's just as dumb as John Stewart claiming that because the Daily Show is on Comedy Central, it should just be viewed as comedy. Both of them, especially Clarkson due to how viewed his show is around the world, are on huge shows who are seen by more than just people who see them as comedy shows.

The BBC is technically governmentally sponsored programming, so when you have Jezza being a racist (and his schtick is, whether he is or not. Or gently caress, James the colonial and Hammond the modern yabbo hating the foreigners whoever they are, mexicans cough cough), it is obviously going to offend someone.

I still love TG but any of you denying the fact it's a bunch of middle aged, anti-modernization guys, jerking off about super cars; are out of your mind. They poo poo on anything that isn't made by a white person from the EU and even if they give props to an Asian car, there's always some snide comment.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
The SIAC would have been as boring as usual but Kevin Hart is loving hilarious.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
The Jag racing to Geneva section was the only amusing part of tonight's episode and it wasn't near as good as any of the other races they've done before.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Two Finger posted:

Think it says a lot that this thread has fallen off the first page of AI

I watch the new Top Gear out of hate now and am using it to pass the time until the Grand Tour comes out.

e; That and I'm rewatching all the old seasons.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Tonight's episode perfectly explains why the rally stage for star in a car sucks balls.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

GutBomb posted:

then says "we" when he had absolutely no connection to Top Gear when Jeremy did that Eagle segment.

Yeah that quote probably annoyed me more than anything else in the show tonight. What a pretentious yob.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Does this make the new Top Gear better or worse?

It can only go up from here.

wombat74 posted:

Let's take a moment to reflect on the fact that the last shot of Chris Evans on "his" tenure of Top Gear was him wearing a giant plastic poncho with "LOSER" written on it.

Legacy

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I actually hollered "gently caress yeah" when they actually accomplished what they set out to do in the recent Roadkill. I wasn't expecting that at all.

e; speaking of youtube car shows, Project Binky has a new episode out today/tomorrow depending on when you read this.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Two things. First does anyone else feel like Hammond just finished playing a pirate in some play right before this picture was taken? And second someone should probably make a Grand Tour thread soon.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

We Know Catheters posted:

James looks so weird with short hair

Yeah the rest of the episode was quite good but James is bugging me out. We had like 15 years of him with long hair damnit, it's like when Metallica cut off all their hair.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I've done New York to San Francisco in 3 days with an Alzheimer's patient on a stretcher in a minivan wearing diapers.
My mom and I had to transport her mother from one side of the coast to the other when we moved because grandma was in a lovely home and mom wanted to be close to her in her final years.

It was a coffee and cigarette fueled adventure that involved my mom having to hose out the inside of the van due to a diaper blowout.

I was 18 and I don't think I'll ever forget the experience.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
The SIARPC sections are better than they were on old TG but they're still loving terrible. Before they would at least bring out known celebrities rather than whoever the gently caress they have on now.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
On a positive note, I really like this year's theme song compared to last year's.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

How could you possibly know that?

I've watched all the "celeb" interviews this season, they're just boring as hell. I'd rather watch the stunt men get blown up last season, at least it takes half of the time. At least before they showed us a list of all the "celebs" doing their laps so we could see who was the fastest, now we just get two of them and I don't know and/or couldn't give a gently caress of who they were.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 29, 2017

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
A non lovely celebrity interview was nice this time.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
PETA and all the other animal rights activists would be up in a loving storm if any of that segment was real.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
The Lucas Refrigerator joke was pretty good too.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

I like how nothing actually went wrong with their beater jaaaaaaaaaaags so they engineered their own failures (ok the brake fade on the ski hill is pretty drat plausible but why did the other heavier cars with similar brakes do ok?)

Very much enjoyed this episode though, even celebrity gently caress off was watchable.

Hammond's Jag projectile vomiting coolant was pretty funny.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Powershift posted:

What sucks is it was only sold as the Daimler Sovereign in 1969, so you can't have a 69 420

Not nice. :(

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Yeah, I've loved these last couple of history based episodes. What I would like from either TGUK season 25 or the Grand Tour is another Cheap Car challenge, the cheaper the better. Still one of my favorite segments in Top Gear history was them trying to buy cars in Miami for a thousand dollars.

Yeah the cheap car challenges are some of my favorite episodes.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

I honestly can figure out if that’s real or not as it could be for sure.

Sometimes the script comes out as unscripted, but thats cause it really was. I want to believe that this time it was for real, mostly cause I've been caught having sexy time in the fog in a car before.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Really liked that Pond Bug.

With some slight mods, that might be the first project they've built that I would drive.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Rory McIlroy and Paris Hilton as surprisingly engaging guests, who knew.

I think this might be the first time Paris Hilton has been on anything in the past 4 years. Why the gently caress they would bring her on as a guest surprises me.

I still skipped it because I can't stand her.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Is this the last one of the of season?

As for the electronic parking brake some cars have incline sensors that will hold the car in position on a hill at a stoplight.

Nah. I know I've seen footage of at least 1 episode they haven't shown, the one with Hammond on the motorcycle.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

eyebeem posted:

Hamster laughing the first time May was getting drenched is one of the most real reactions I’ve ever seen from him. He was clearly unable to contain his amusement and I loved it.

Yeah his and Clarkson's reaction to it was one of the best parts of the season.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I wanna go chain car racing, that looks fun as hell. Harris getting slung around was hilarious.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

nmfree posted:

"...you're an rear end in a top hat."

This week's Top Gear was pretty good.

I dunno, I lost interest in the episode like a 1/4 of the way through. These 3 guys don't have nearly the charm the original 3 did and you can tell they're acting the whole time and there are no improv moments.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I think the Japanese like to play it safe.

Also, why are they still excluding Rory from the challenges?

We're on season 3 right? Rory has been the sideshow from the beginning, which I think is them trying to break from the old series trend of having the 3 of them all at once.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
This week's episode was pretty good, I only had to skip the star in a car spot like I do every time.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I wonder if they know how much people hate the star in a car bit. If I actually watched it on TV I would change the channel during it, it's so bad.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Only 6 episodes this season and the last one was a stinker. I couldn't give a poo poo about SUVs and the testing was boring anyway. The Alpine part was decent but not enough to make up for the rest of the episode.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Expect like 6 commercial breaks per episode of Roadkill unless you pay them too.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Frankly, it is worth the money.

No it isn't. They're expecting you to pay for something that is already totally covered by sponsorships and was previously free. Motortrend got on the bandwagon of creating their own streaming service that only has like 3 good shows that only update once a month.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Websites like Giant Bomb and Tested seem to do well by having free videos to get people watching their content, and then they offer premium subscriptions to access more content.

Thats basically what motortrend was doing, now they have everything exclusively on their website, which is a steaming pile of poo poo.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well that's what the show is about, Mopars. If you love mopars like I do it's a great show.

Yeah the owner is weird (not really a dick) but he's a walking encyclopedia of mopar information and I wish I had his job.

Yeah I don't really see the hate in only working on one brand of car. My uncle's old place was called All Ford and Chrysler and he only worked on those because he had worked at both of those dealerships over the years and was super familiar with all their poo poo.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Seik posted:

James May's teeth are pretty hard to look at this season.

At least he has his hair back, that was throwing me off all last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
"Back in 1997 I had a gun put to my head in downtown Detroit, now it's all hipsters. If you want to start a tech business bugger off to San Francisco."