Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Shimrod posted:

lol - the three guys seemed like loving whingers every time I heard from them. They even wrote an article in the Top Gear magazine in Australia talking about how they were going to promise to be better. I can't say I was ever much of a fan - they needed better hosts.

I kinda liked the last series lineup though, it is a shame that they got only like 5 episodes, with 3 full length segments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Well, David Hasselhoff got already talk show in Finland, so our MTV3 might try to create a british spinoff called "Ajoneuvos: Iso-Britannia" or something? (Ajoneuvos being the no-budget ripoff of Top Gear format.)

Edit: With one host and three Stigs, since god knows we do not like to talk but we have several WRC champs and F1 drivers just idling here.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The whole crew = May, Hammond and Clarkson. They've already said they won't do the studio sessions without him, and their contracts are all up. I'm pretty certain they would all follow him wherever he goes.

And yeah that would be amazing with Jay Leno's cars, they got along well on the show and I believe they are friends in real life.

I, for one, do really not care about Hammond's solo work since he is really boring beyond Top Gear, but really like May's shows and most of the time tolerate Clarkson's documentaries.

And actually I think that if Jay could find his stand-up persona and wit (lost since 1993) and couple that with the rough edges of Clarkson's style, it could work.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So basically Jeremy was an idiot for drinking himself pissfaced, behaving badly and having fistcuffs with an underling. The producers (especially the one that was beaten) was an idiot for not taking taking the money and shutting up, while BBC was an idiot for not burying the case with money, but sticking to a principle hastly set up after series of previous scandals, costing them the key talent (the hosts) and probably their best franchise, plus 50 M yearly profit. James and Richard were idiots for getting blackout drunk, not following the evening schedule and not intervening before Jeremy decided to forward with the boxing match, now getting kicked out BBC.

So. BBC is out of three talents and one 50 M paycheck, the Top Gear trio is kicked out of their most valuable gig and basically everyone involved with the Top Gear production got shafted because of principles at the BBC head office. And anyone taking over the show, which now are damaged goods, as a replacement host will be called a massive tool or at best, "not as good as the others", probably sinkingtheir career as the "host that tanked Top Gear".

And the sheltered people are idiots for thinking that everyone has to follow the same rules at the show business, or business in general. This just got too big to sweep under the rug because of BBC being loving muppets with the talent and publicity management. People who leave their houses once in a while tend to get drunk, do stupid stuff with or without being drunk and then make amends without going full-blown seppuku to preserve the honor of their family or company. One old rear end misbehaved badly, and now to preserve the honor and the new-found principles, everyone lost their jobs, and the parent company lost a fuckton of money. How does that help anyone?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cubey posted:

Please explain how they are supposed to sweep something under the rug when there's a hotel full of witnesses?

Also, speaking as a professional drunkard, alcohol is not a valid excuse for assault, ever.

Well, one immediate thought is that why are the talent management people from BBC allowing the stars of their biggest show to get pissfaced in public in the first place?

And of course it isn't, but poo poo happens, and now everyone lost.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ripoff posted:

I'm honestly struggling with this, maybe you can enlighten me - if I were to go into the office at work, completely drunk, and berate and attack a co-worker for making a mistake, I would be fired instantly.

I'm just guessing here but you probably aren't a key talent for a 50M/year profiting product in your company?

Completely detonating or even endangering a huge, huge asset over something this irrelevant (drunked brawl at a post-work pissoff) is not wise business decision, or something that companies would actually do unless they gently caress up badly. These things are something that PR and talent management should take care of, or even better, predict and intercept, neither of which happened here. Yes, it is unfair, but that is how poo poo tends to happen.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

I think this pretty much sums up all your points.

I'd like to say that I am not that heartless but ... :(

I just want to emphasize that I do not condone what Jeremy did, but in the long run this was the decision in which everyone involved lost and the punishment dished out to several parties is in no ratio to what actually happened. Suspend Clarkson from the rest of the series, withhold Salary, dictate worse terms for a followup contract, make him do stupid PR stunts for an eternity? And actually investigate why the production management allowed their talent to be ravingly drunk on work night, and in a public restaurant/pub with an audience, especially since one of the stars was known to be a "bit of knob"?

Had Jezza caused a manslaugter by being an rear end and disregarding safety requirements, then definitely suspend everyone, conduct full investigation and - basically - burn all bridges and close the show, while police does their own inquiries and make their own decisions.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Viper_3000 posted:

Except it isn't Clarkson's job to do that. When working on a shoot, I don't worry about when restaurants close, because I know it's someone's job to feed me/make sure there's food provided, and I trust that they are going to do that. Just like they trust that I'm going to have some mic cables if I'm running sound.

Again. I've never defended the punch. That's inexcusable. The 20 minute chewing out by Clarkson? That I have no problems with at all.

Carefully, the mentality here is that you are a Ayn Rand libertarian nazi to even propose the possibility that BBC was to be blamed for bad talent management and shedule coordination in general, which finally lead to things escalating to the point of what just happened.

And I still do not condone what Clarkson did, if someone still fails to understand my point about planning and preventing things before they happen.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

lfield posted:

The producer committed the crime of not psychically anticipating which menu item his drunk baby coworker would start mewling for once he got back.

Yeah, being the piss-poor small scale operation called Top Gear they really couldn't afford for example, ask about their dinner preferences and rent the kitchen for a extra/extended shift? You know, the stuff the talent managers are supposed to do?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cubey posted:

But they had a plan. This was not a case of the film crew taking too long, this was not a shoot that went overtime, this was someone not doing what had been arranged ahead of time. How do you plan for someone who ignores what he was supposed to have done?

Well, in this particular case have someone arrange an extended shift for the kitchen staff, or take orders and arrange a private dinner, or even better, start by arranging a private place without audience for their stars to get pissfaced and get late dinner, especially since one of the guys is volatile and bit of a loving idiot. The operation that size should be able to foot the extra 5k bill for that sort of arrangement easily.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

They should film the rest of the series with three Stigs, appearing to give full interviews in mime, and have a loud-mouthed commentator do the hot laps.

EDIT: minimalistic mimicking and gestures, completely freezing when the guest of the week asks something.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

captainOrbital posted:

Vote for Juan Aramburu:
He really gave those English TV dogs what-for!

Yes.

"I singlehandedly confirmed the suspicions of the entire 200+ million TV audience, who were considering us to be knuckle-dragging hicks to be entirely true! Viva Islas Malvinas, Viva el Proceso!" is a sure-fire winner here.

I bet the New Orleans street militia was also awarded the "humanitarians of the year"-award along with the lawyer who came to complain about the free car being a different model than originally mentioned.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

hopterque posted:

Source your quotes.

I checked the numbers and 1 out of 3 is probable, 2 out of 3 is debatable but 3 out of 3 is statistically impossible, and I have an advanced degree so I must be right.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nill posted:

(1 freebee per series, subsequent punches result in forced caravanning segments)

"Have to make a 3 minute promo for the next Piers Morgan TV project"

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Having read the book by the Sniff Petrol guy, their script editor, it mostly seems like a miracle that it took 13 years for that iteration of Top Gear to implode. Head-stuck-in-rear end management by the BBC, badly managed PR, all this weird stuff about working conditions basically being "do first, ask permissions later, apologise if necessary" and who-gives-a-poo poo-attitude combined with confrontations back-and-forth between the Top Gear production and BBC. Realistically, the punching event was the first major internal event, which broke the production team hegemony and opened doors for all sorts of poo poo.

All things concerned, for most of the time it was a weird juggling show of flaming chainsaws with 50M+ pound IPR as a bet.

Edit: Interestingly, the book also hinted that off-camera May and Hammond had much more friendly relationship than with Clarkson, who more or less remained their "sort-of-a-boss" most of the time.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 28, 2016

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

"a source told The Sun." should be the red flag in that story.

Except, you know, a producer quit and the first season was cut short even before the first show hit the airwaves?

Not exactly a stellar merit even if the actual reason was overinflated.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

meatpimp posted:

And traditions must be upheld.

BBC or Top Gear traditions?

Are they expected to abuse minors or just the production crew?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Also (I'm not going to summarize the entire book here since it can be bought dirt cheap, these are like 5% of the content) the Sniff Petrol guy seemed to especially hate two of their features more than anything else, the art gallery exhibit and the entirety of their India special, since the first one was absolutely out of their element and the India special went nowhere. As in, it did not have any sane narrative story behind it and it devolved just to a slapstick comedy special featuring the Top Gear hosts.

He also said that Top Gear of the Pops and the Top Ground Gear Force -charity specials were more or less vanity projects insisted by the trio based on unusually supportive BBC management, and they later actually tried to make the Top Gear band a thing.

In addition, they had two feature-lenght sets that were never aired, one dubbed "unfunny bus" which souped up a twodecker which can be later seen on several track sections, and "Top Gear gas station", which both were considered rubbish and not even ambitious.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If I had money I'd fund an entire series based entirely on James May just dicking around on some weekend projects. The title would be James May Does Stuff.

Include Edd China from the Wheeler Dealer and make a show called "James and Edd Fix Things". Put everything on add-revenued Youtube channel and ask the bank manager to call when your bank account hits one billion.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

blunt posted:

And now that The Grand Tour has ended...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN_An7VaMDk

This piece of .... actually looks promising?

IMHO LeBlanc's "really don't give a gently caress"-approach works amazingly for the Top Gear clip shows we "the International audience" keep getting.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Humphreys posted:

I would LOVE a dedicated series or lengthy documentary on that sort of information. It was very very interesting. Partly because I grew up watching old rally events on tape and also enjoy how teams cheat to success in dastardly ways for some reason.

Also Lancia. I've heard of the 037 recreations from this place: http://www.carteroni.co.nz/ before and that segment just changed my midlife crisis car back to anything Lancia.

Its because older Finnish rally drivers besides Ari Vatanen are completely useless in a English-speaking environment. :)

JJ Lehto (F1 guy) used to be quite loud about how his Benetton simply did not have the same boot up-sequence or settings system than Michael Schumacher had, in the year when everyone was certain that they did have some active grip system going on.

And obviously going against any England-based teams, the libel laws are so twisted against people being the whistle blowers that it simply will not be possible, against any still-operating team or car company, or persons managing the (now dead) teams who still are in any position of power.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

sean10mm posted:

I think LeBlanc was the new guy who most fully understood what made people want to watch Clarkson-era Top Gear in the first place. His main problem was that the writers sometimes seemed to slip into writing his stuff as if he wasn't in fact an American.

Not sure where they even go from here that makes anybody give a poo poo?

If not for anything else, it will probably become one of those publicly funded system zombie shows, where it just keeps on going forever on a shoestring budget because the IPR and public recognition of the brand is worth more than just canning it and selling forwards. Especially as long as the Grand Tour is made, because Amazon Prime buying and handing it back to Clarkson team would be the ultimate humiliation for the BBC.

Because they once were able to reinvent the show with then-new talent of Clarkson-era guys and made it a big cash cow, they just sit on the franchise and try out new talent until something stick to the wall.

EDIT: Also because the brand is huge, and the show itself is relatively cheap to produce, if they want to penny pinch until something promising surfaces. The high-end cars are loaners, no costumes or real sets are needed besides one studio, and the show itself is basically a talk show with funny bits taking the majority of air time. And you can always buy clunkers at laughably low production costs and do stupid(ly funny) poo poo with those. It really only needs the right mindset to write, and the right chemistry for the hosts, to succeed.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 1, 2018

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Grakkus posted:

I disagree, I think they've been improving steadily over the last couple of seasons and were great in the latest episode. The thing about onscreen chemistry of this kind is that it takes time to develop and find its tone. Which you can't do if you're changing presenters every 12 episodes

I agree with this, even the "So Called Top Gear" took several seasons to become The Top Gear, the handful of first seasons were only "mostly unusually not-boring car show".

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

pik_d posted:

Yeah, Paddy seems to have gotten the Clarkson role of "things go right for this one usually" without having "earned" it, if that makes sense.

"The things go right for this one usually" got a bit old when it was always rules-lawyering or technicalities. Towards the end of the old new so-called Top Gear Clarkson got too many "hosed up but did not in fact gently caress up"-writeouts. It was usually funnier to see him fail his grand scheme.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Besides the US Top Gear crew becoming watchable, I actually also liked the last iteration of the Top Gear Australia crew, the one which did the UK vs. Australia special.

But according to Internet this means that I have no taste and/or brain worms.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The new noveau nu-Top Gear gets good when they start to do the "grand tours" again. They did one, so at least they are trying.

With the actual hosts of Top Gearish, its amazing to see that Clarkson found a time machine to make himself 40 years older in just 15 years. Our cable is showing reruns from ~2006 and it is astonishing how badly Clarkson has aged for the Amazon series.

IMHO the decision to do only grand tours is a smart one, but the glacial timetable is annoying. I hope that they do the "Russian cars across Russia" at some point, I understood that it was the one that was cut short by the COVID-19?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I really wanted to see the "Soviet Cars across the Soviet Union" they probably were making. Unfortunately COVID-19 and the current Putin shenanigans in Ukraine will postpone it indefinitely.

And I personally cannot see Clarkson making it in 4-5 year timescale. Jeremy found a time machine that made him 40 years older in 20 year timescale.

And yeah, Grand Tour has too much money. Its funnier when they have to shoot with an (alleged) budget.

And where is the "Scotland travel episode"? It was shot something like 1 year ago?

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 21, 2021

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Data Graham posted:

"I'm just turning 60" in that promo

Christ, he looks 85

Yeah, Clarkson will not make it from Vladivostok to Finnish border outside St. Peterbourg, or Berlin in any car at this rate. Let alone something that was made by the soviets before 1992.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 21, 2021

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I also found it funny that he got kicked into knads twice, when he tried to do some sheering.

But yeah, very entertaining akin to "May does something" tv-series. Basically a season of Top Gear: Farm, but *actually* trying to do the farming stuff, not just playing farmer.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

I’m fairly confident May and Hammond stuck a whole year with Clarkson would end up with casualties with the increased risk due to access to agricultural equipment to maim each other with. You could see that in the last specials that weren’t random fun times in places where there are fancy hotels, they would getting quickly pissed at each other, they are old and much easy to get their tempers hot.

And in real life Hammond is supposedly fairly good at this, and May is the nerdy guy who might find that stuff interesting if it weren't "for a show".

Interestingly, most "Top Gearish" stuff comes when Clarkson tries to do something, and it is nice change of pace that A) it seems he is really enjoying himself and B) he is truly trying to get this poo poo done properly.

EDIT: Clarkson also riffs a couple of times on his Top Gear persona, and seems much more genuine "Jeremy Clarkson the person" than the "Jeremy Clarkson the Top Gear over the top motorhead"

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 12, 2021

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

I think the only way it'd be more enjoyable is if Hammond or May was there as a foil instead of Kaleb. Like I could imagine May going "you pillock!" Every time he fucks something up

Kaleb and the other actual professionals are there to show that farming with the modern equipment, regulations, soil management, and scheduling information is actually not a trivial thing to do, because it is not.

If Kaleb is not a production insert, it is a small miracle that Kaleb is actually *that* camera friendly because I know the type being raised in a small city around rural communities. He is very outspoken and literate compared against the stereotype of 21 yo. farmer in my head.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Which we find out later was completely faked, another Clarkson gimmick. (Clarkson's melancholy, that is, not the sheep going to the slaughterhouse, as he delights in the mutton from them.)

Are you really detached from the reality enough that you think this is intentional and not just one thing on the road for a sheep farmer? It is one thing to deliver (and separate) them yourself, than sending the main herd off when they are up to be sold.

It is two different things to deliver something to be killed, and hearing that your lifestock, which was sent to a processing facility, is done with.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I hate myself for saying this, but the trailer isn't very impressive.

I'd say it looks like a bit of a filler (what it is) and plays on the tired TG/GT stereotypes of Clarkson being the old shithead, May being the intelligent but inept and Hammond being the America-head.

We know that Clarkson isn't that person, May isn't that person, and Hammond, well, might be that person.

It lacks the honesty that May in Japan had, or Clakson's farm had. It is a nice trailer, but I am afraid that it resets back to the "Top gear people", who are not who these people are and since I have seen them elsewhere is getting pretty tiresome. Let Clarkson have some intelligence beyond the "POWER" and give May a place to be competent.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

BuckyDoneGun posted:

He’s anti-brexit given his job heavily relied on being able to freely work across the continent.

The Grand Tour character Jeremy Clarkson is also anti-Brexit, and commented so several times, so I can expect that Clarkson privately also is at least to some degree.

What I did not buy at all was that The Grand Tour-version of James May was anti-monarchist. The guy basically embodies the 50's and 60's in his other shows. To me its just unclear are we talking about 1860's or 1960's.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Just watched it; entertaining bit, although not their best work.

But as for a last-minute rear end pull because COVID-19 cancelled everything they were actually planning to do, it was better than I was expecting although it was showing that they had filler bits that didn't blend into the episode that seamlessly.

EDIT: My take on the ending was that in the 60's, 70's and 80's the stuff made in USA was made for the US markets and everything was made on their terms; now everything moves towards "made in China" or designed so that it will sell in Chinese markets, including and especially car designs.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 30, 2021

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

By "made for the US markets and everything was made on their terms," you mean they had an attitude of "Brand loyalty is king. Our customers will buy what we give them at the quality our accountants will pay for and what our drunk employees will build. No, I haven't heard of the Japanese. Who are they?"

Well, yes.

And that everything is becoming Chinese these days, either because they were made there, or are made to attract the Chinese (and(or global) markets. They commented several times on the fact that those ridiculously long and low-power American street cruisers never "made it" outside very specific niche outside USA.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Thinking back, they also had a really narrow windows to shoot that thing, did they? I had a holiday in Scotland once, and the place is absolutely gorgeous. In this they mention it at start, but there really aren't that many prestige shots of the surroundings or the landscape.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So is there any news on the next Grand Tour episode, or are we now just waiting for the Clarkson's Farm S2 and the next Our man in to drop? And whatever Hammond is doing.

The automotive aspect of this team is declining rapidly.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Drakkel posted:

The weirdest part of the special to me was using the Aventine as an example of a weird/stupid French car when they had a whole segment on Top Gear in 2008 about how much all three of them like it

The entire episode was about why they like French cars and the French mentality of making cars. Even the stupid ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Murgos posted:

I'm of the opinion that they are spending a ton of time and pre-production prep under the assumption that they will get to travel to other countries and do their gags. Which keeps not happening and so they are stuck at the last minute modifying everything to work with what they got even though the jokes don't work any more.

Yeah, that is what Brexit and COVID-19 does.