Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

They're finally doing a Germany/Australia style battle with TGUK and TGUSA? Awesome. I hope they have one of those fadeout gags where James and Rutledge are both monologuing about something simultaneously. I assume they will also pair up Richard ad Tanner, leaving Jeremy and Adam to do something stupid and destructive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The thing I thought was most interesting about this week was the braking test. I know the highway estimates are high on purpose and those were fancy performance cars but seeing them stop up at like 1/3 the distance was crazy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Ariza posted:

American interest in the ute died with the El Camino. Subaru made that awful looking thing a decade ago that always make me chuckle when I see them because of the terrible 90s color schemes.

The Subaru Baja was really cool, especially the purple ones.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

They don't have a season preview/schedule for TGUK anywhere do they? Basically I am wondering if we know if and when the UK vs US competition is happening.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I think my two favorite moments (among a ton of great ones) were Hammond shooting people out of cannons, and wailing "THE A-TEAM HAD ONE OF THEEEEEESE" as he got destroyed in the drag race.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Fo3 posted:

Many, many things, but that's beside the point.
SIARPC is often boring anyway, and no one is going to top are Dan of course.

Let me think of some good ones. jay-kay was alright because of his car history and the little fella tried so hard. Ellen MacArthur was because it came out of nowhere, same for Kevin McCloud. Maybe old Brian Johnson. James Blunt was funny too, also Helen Mirin and Philip Glenister. Besides all them, every other one sucked going by my memory and quick name check.
The rest have been boring except for F1 drivers (to watch their own egos being crushed)

e: K-naut is going to post "what about Bill Bailey" I expect...
Sucked.

I liked Mark Wahlberg because of his reaction to the V8 milkshake and his story about stealing the same car 4 times.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I hope that's true because Jeremy Clarkson throwing hands because some dude would not provide burgers late at night is humorous.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Maybe the producer hit himself and lied about it so the SJWs could have their final victory over top gear.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Tanner vs a goddamn tank is pretty loving :black101:

Yeah I thought this week's episode was pretty fun. That Polaris RZR thing is crazy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I can't believe Chris Evans's genitals are going to chase Matt LeBlanc around live on television, next Sunday.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Harris is most famous for his YouTube stuff, right? Maybe this is Evans and/or the BBC trying to prove that Traditional Media is still dominant. Maybe they will bring Matt Farah in to be a doorman and have Mr Regular park the cars.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I just want to see Chris Harris and Sabine Schmidt drive cool things in a cool way while Matt LeBlanc talks about how cool they are. It's the optimal use of resources.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

http://jalopnik.com/top-gear-off-to-great-start-with-host-yelling-at-random-1778311521

Big news out of the Top Gear tapings, even more evidence that they definitely for sure picked the right Chris to be the anchor and the right Chris to exile to the Internet. Chris Evans is out here screaming at the fans and abusing them emotionally:

Chris Evans posted:

The host, 50, snapped during recording of segments for the revamped show: “Don’t fold your arms, don’t wear black. Take it off – take everything off.

“Don’t fold your arms, don’t have your hands in your pockets. F***, f***, f***, f***, f***.”

“Don’t be quiet. Talk among yourselves. Jesus Christ! Can you all hear me?”

The weird foreigner who stole Captain America's name is ordering people to strip, and Chris Harris is hosting a chat show.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So what's the deal with the fifth host, this Rory Reid? From his Wikipedia page he seems to mostly do tech/gadget stuff? Does anyone know if he's bad or good

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I like how in this week's episode of TGUS, like sometimes happens, they were all very friendly and complimented each other's cars and such instead of sniping at each other pointlessly. It's nice when the tv people can be friends :)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It would be cool if TGUK was just Matt and Sabine and Harris and Rory having cool adventures and fun hijinx on Her Majesty's dime while Evans leaps around them, waving his arms, desperately begging anyone to notice or acknowledge him.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

spog posted:

It's not even reasonably-priced. How much does that Mini go for?

And what genius put a man with not one but two La Ferraris on the same couch as someone who own a bicycle and expect to get a decent joint interview out of them?

Probably the vile enemy Chris Evans, who is also the reason that we will have a bad harvest this year.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

They should get with the times and capture the hottest current YouTube memes by crushing his ferraris with a hydraulic press.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I hope next week's show features a new recurring segment where Matt LeBlanc pushes Chris Evans to the ground and makes him eat a bug.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So better show this week it sounds like? Less people openly calling for the death of a tv man anyway.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The vile enemy Chris Evans has decided that if he can't have a good Top Gear show then no country gets a good Top Gear show.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I really liked this week's TGUS episode. The ingenuity and improvisation they do to keep those old cars running in Cuba is astounding. Plus a race prepped Lada is fun.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I liked it. Seeing the hybrid hypercars was cool, I like the weird racetrack, i didn't really dislike anything.

Both the celebrity and RAF bits did that thing where they go from funny to unfunny and back again because of how long they were.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

nmfree posted:

So is he going to be the permanent professional racing driver every week, or are they going to use someone from their host country every week? And if it's going to be the same driver every week, that's who they're going to go with?

He's in the credits, so probably?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

davebo posted:

It made sense when they started Top Gear USA to draw ideas from the decade and a half of British Top Gear for inspiration, but it doesn't seem to work the other way around. The USA guys did that whole take cars through a military simulation village and get shot at by soldiers and it was fine, but it didn't work to rehash it with Clarkson & Co. Also slow motion expensive explosions are a gimmick that lose their appeal the more often you see them.

Another thing that made me at least like the TGUSA version more is that they had soldiers with them in the cars and on the course the whole time which makes the contrast more noticeable and funny. With them being alone (except for the bad guys) and talking a lot about Edge of Tomorrow beforehand, it seemed less like a military test and more like action movie cosplay.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I mean I thought the segment was pretty funny with James's sudden assassination of the Queen being the peak for me (is he on record against the monarchy irl?) but I feel it could have lost several minutes of dead weight. Not sure what else on the episode I'd have given them to though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I really liked this one too.

That Hellcat getting just 6.6 MPG was pretty crazy though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Personally I hope they do a cheap car (or just a pick-a-car) challenge soon. Those were always my favorite parts of both their generation of TGUK and TGUS. Hopefully its not considered Top Gear IP like the concept of a masked racing driver. We did get my favorite part of them though this week, with everyone pulling up and explaining why they picked their car and mocking each other's. But I love when they have to do that without an unlimited budget. Buying the $1000 cars in Miami was one of my favorite scenes in the show.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It would have been good as the first ep, I agree, especially as an introduction too everyone's personalities/"characters", but I can kinda see why they led with the 918/P1/LaFerrari battle to open because that was kinda the Big Thing they had been going for on Top Gear and now they could do it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It kinda reminds me of the time they had the original Tesla on and said it had a 50 mile range and broke down immediately, then Tesla sued them and they admitted it was an "exaggeration".

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I am glad that the guys explained what "jet" was, since I'm pretty sure most people who use the term "jet black" think it just means "extremely black", and are wondering when they can buy a "jet white" iPhone

I knew it was a very black rock/mineral, but didn't know it was just polished coal. It was a very interesting segment!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

boy I hope the next episode of the grand tour is all about fish and beer locations

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I liked it. It was like the old build a thing contests with the ambulance and police car and such.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

James's tiny porthole in his hay car reminded me of those people who, when it snows and their cars ice over, scrape a tiny little square right in front of the steering wheel and call it good. Then hit a tree that snuck up on them.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Rewatching, one of my favorite parts was when James arrives and Jeremy is quizzing him on his car.

"Well, it is a bit heavy."
"How heavy?"
"What units would you like?"
"Tons?"
"Five."
"Ah".

It was just so casual and friendly despite being about a giant adobe suv. Just kinda showed how used to stupid things they had been from their day job for the last couple decades.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I liked it. I hope they complete the trifecta next week and Jeremy and Richard are doing something and James shows up and ruins it. Its the only combination they haven't done. I guess the episode 1 thing kinda counts?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

http://jalopnik.com/top-gears-famous-test-track-is-about-to-turn-into-a-hou-1790228886

The local government has decided to improve the Dunsfold Aerodrome area, building 1800 new houses. If you hurry, maybe you too can buy a house on the track.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The only real "local car culture" segment they've done is the South African drifting thing they sent James on, right?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Personally, I'm glad my coworkers never threw me in a car while I was sleeping and then dragged me around with a helicopter.

I liked the special. Namibia is really pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWqtqPX3If0

Trailer for this week's show. They visit Stuttgart, James tests the NSX, Richard builds a survivalist van, and Jeremy makes a lifted Jag (I think?) as an alternative to luxury SUVs. Looks pretty fun.