Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I agree with whoever thinks they are better at doing the road trips then the studio/siarpc/news segments and should just keep experimenting until they find the right balance. They definitely are playing off and ripping each other much more effectively like "good friends" - should although IRL they prob see each other only for tapings.

They need to do a challenge (maybe they have already) where Adam/Rut have new supercars and Tanner has a 10 year old M3/911 and still wipes the floor with them on a track or something. I have no idea of the value of it, I just want to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Why didn't lazy Clarkson just get steak n' chips at the pub he was getting blasted at? Lazy.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

I still insist on Top Gear: Black Adder

Hugh Laurie, Rowan Atkinson, and Stephen Fry

Baldrick as The Stig

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
BBC 'Murica better show this dammit.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
LeBlanc with the 'Merica Evel Knievel helmet and eskimo coat is perfect. :smugdog:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Tanner always flying into the scene sideways and blasting dust everywhere is never not hilarious.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Lol, this was the best one when he rips in with the Porsche 944.

Vid prob be gone soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgToMpu8o1I&t=188s

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I liked Rory over Evans 100 times better as the exuberant host type, but he's such a happy young pup (without a fleet of Ferrari's yet, sadly) so he won't get that top job for a while. I can't think of any aspect of hosting the show that Rory wouldn't have done better except maybe slobbering up to Gordon Ramsey.

LeBlanc is fine he just needs someone to talk smack back to him (like one Jeremy Clarkson.) He would fit right in to TGUSA, and he's a freaking hundred millionaire or something from all his Friends $$$$ so he has got to personally own some ridiculous cars (which I don't think was mentioned). Top and Extra I don't see as living separately for long and we know Harris can be a smartass with random Americans and do road trips like on Drive.

I want Sabine to make me barf.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 31, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
:getin:

:staredog:

.............they definitely were looking for more hot burning man chicks for the crowd.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 18, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm guessing they will use a new "driver" at each global location and post the board times together regardless.

The USA driver and his bits were dumb - was he actually a NASCAR driver?

The Air Force thing was (as already stated) too long and sort of dumb.

I didn't like the new track especially that rough section that was rather narrow.

The celeb bits were dumb but I bet they have canned interviews/drives to show later?

Overall I give a solid B and I bet it gets better from here.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
they could still do a celeb every once in a while but not in the studio.......just have them ride along at a track and chat for a bit and make them barf a'la Sabine.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
They could just set up a permanent base at Buttonwillow or somewhere else in SoCal and do the road shows in a few other locations (UK, SA, AUS, etc).

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

bringer posted:

No, because a permanent base is one of the things they've joked about being too similar to Top Gear.
http://jalopnik.com/the-grand-tour-had-to-take-tons-of-precautions-to-avoid-1788379688

That's why their racing car driver was in a suit covered in decals and talked all the time. The Stig wears white and doesn't talk.

Top Gear has presenters come on the show for an interview and a few laps. Grand Tour has celebrities dying by the handful.

They are making Bizarro-Top Gear.

Yeah but it sounds like they immediately hated the logistics and getting the tents set up. They could do 6 shows at the base and the rest at other locations and have the same freedom and anti-BBC vibe. A real track would be great for them to flog on as well.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Dress like 1970's James - paisley shirt/tweed blazer with elbow patches, faded bell bottom jeans, boots etc

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

I like the show. I don't like The American.

I think it would be better if they let him be himself (because some folks here have mentioned he is a great driver IRL and personable) and give some actual insights*
into the cars beyond lap times instead of just being a dumb American redneck parody :heritage:

*which we never got from the Stig, obviously, because he cannot communicate with humans.

Charlize looked very far away not sure it was her. I'd like to see her chat on the couch and show pics of her first 67 VW Beetle or something. :allears:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 28, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Jeremy sees himself as a decent enough interviewer and has fun bantering with the guests, that's why "celeb interviews" and their timed laps are back.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
the 2 new guys are shitheads, whoever the gently caress they are.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

pik_d posted:

They sort of are, but it's been working for the most part. It is by far the best series with a new set of hosts that Top Gear has ever had.

I get that "it is working" but treating Harris like a toddler the entire time is gonna get tiresome. It just makes the show 100% comedy road trips and underwear "look at my dick, bro" pranks and I don't see the two other guys ever doing anything else. Maybe that's the point at this stage of "comedy car shows?"

I'm also an old goon that liked watching James take apart model trains or brew beer. :chord:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 16, 2019

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, they are guests not hosts.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Might as well have Alex on Autos, Doug Mouro and Tony Stewart do the next version.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've only got the first episode so far on Philo TV and the Science channel...........the humungo VW plant was really cool.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 15, 2020

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I forgot what a good chuckle James May's Cars of the People was......full of original music too.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
You can watch clips of the dumb TGUSA version #5 or whatever on the Motortrend YouTube channel.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The Richard Hammond Shipwrecked show is absolutely awful.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've stopped and bailed on just the 1st ep 3 times so far over the last few nights........almost done and then no mas. :suicide:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Hamster's "BIG" show on (SCIENCE - Discovery ++++ or wherever the hell it is) last year was good enough. He toured the VW factory, giant planes, boats, buildings, tunnels etc.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
James ate some rotten fermented piss shark w/Gordon Ramsey and barely flinched. :barf:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Charlie is the hero of the show and Jeremy is a lazy dipshit chud who deserves to go bankrupt.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I like that Big Freddie's heartbeat only ranges between 50 and 78 while the other 2 are at hypertension levels after driving a car.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
yeah, Freddie looks like facing peak Pedro Martinez and Ken Griffey Jr at the same time. Let's hope the big doofus has a quick recovery!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
In 8th grade gym class back a million years ago I saw a dude get hit full on in the face by a thrown shotput (it was horrible and his nose was somewhere else and his jaw was sideways and he was convulsing on the ground freaking out :smith:) and when the poor guy came back to school a year later (with some serious TBI issues as well) he looked about like Freddie does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
May's cooking show is gross and he showers all the "food" with long gray hairs. He needs to have Nikki teach him some basic kitchen skills like using a knife as well, since he cuts carrots like a 4 year old. Maybe that is the point :newlol:

Maybe have Gordon Ramsey show up to yell at him as well.