Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Very hard to criticise an episode with Eric Clapton and car rugby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Loved the Top Gear Police motto:

Ambitiose sed ineptum

Ambitious but rubbish.

I laughed the hardest when Hammond's car had a knackered engine but he still had a ridiculously optimistic facial expression.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

inklesspen posted:

When Clarkson drove into the lake, I was figuring he was doing the usual cocking about.

I was not expecting what happened.

That was beautiful. So was the P1.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Larrymer posted:

Better than their view of American cars at least.

"This bodywork is made of the same plastic they use to make newsreaders over here."

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Get a Yugo and pretend it's the Ferrari.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
"I decided to ignite my collapsed sun"

This season has been phenomenal; easily up there with the best.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Chris Knight posted:

"The Greatest Raid Of All" was pretty fantastic. Follow it up with "Guy Martin's Spitfire" for a truly :britain: evening.

His recent one on Arctic Convoys is also brilliant.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Sadi posted:

Adam is the useless on, he can't drive, he only likes boring land barges which is good for a gimmick or two but it gets really old. He's just unfunny.

He did have a fantastic line about the Aztek though:

"This personifies everything that was wrong with GM in the late 90s: Design by Committee. You know the committee that designed this wasn't fired? They were executed."

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

MattD1zzl3 posted:

My point is the show would switch back and fourth. (And he still did smokey powerslides in the cheaper cars, not boring commuting or consumer advice. lovely strawman.

I'm not begrudging top gear for chasing an audience, but after 10 years of that weren't you getting sick of it? The thread sure was full of complaints.

My problem was that there weren't enough wacky adventures. The last season was a return to form and I was looking forward to more seasons in the same vein. I have absolutely no interest in seeing them compare hatchbacks.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Argentina have spent the last 50 years demanding islands 200 miles from their coast and who the natives don't want anything to do with them belong to them because a Dutch man sailed past 200 years ago in the pay of the Spanish.

A curious situation where Britain is completely in the right.

I don't know how many Argentinians actually care about those islands though, it's mainly a way for the government to distract them from the terrible economy.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Cat Hatter posted:

Any two of them always have good chemistry and they complain about the odd man out. If its all three of them then they arbitrarily pick one to make fun of.

Which is the reason the show was so good; three very good presenters with phenomenal chemistry in any configuration.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Keyser S0ze posted:

Tanner always flying into the scene sideways and blasting dust everywhere is never not hilarious.

I loved the Tire Burn in a Truck challenge. The other two do impressive burns, then Tanner does this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h88LgsH5fu0&t=360s

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

sean10mm posted:

Chris Evans is a serial sex offender with an insufferable human garbage personality and a face made for radio telegraph, but at least he's not a pedo, so sure why not. :haw:

He really does feel like Clarkson, if Clarkson had zero self-awareness and no capacity for humour. Evans isn't even funny in the 'haha, what an idiot' way; he's just a comedic black hole.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Residency Evil posted:

I think the most telling thing about New New Top Gear (or is it New Old Top Gear?)

So Called Top Gear.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Olympic Mathlete posted:

...except that it features James Corden who is just a black hole of humour.

No, Chris Evans is a black hole of humour. Corden doesn't compare.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I always liked how they dealt with car companies jerking them around:

"Challenger has refused because we're mean about them cars. Well Britain is not a rock in the North Atlantic, and we won't be messed around by a two-bit car company."

......"This is a Challenger that I've just bought."

Also the Yugo Bentley Mulsanne.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

KozmoNaut posted:

I just want the cheap car challenges to return.

The sub-£10,000 mid-engined Italian supercar challenge is one of the best segments they've ever filmed.

Definitely.

How can it be so hard to drive from Bristol to Slough?!

The battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol, but the clock is correct.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
What a closing line from Clarkson.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I want a "Kaleb visits the world's mega-cities" TV show.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I would have said Hammond was most obviously playing a character. It seems in later Top Gear episodes his character morphed into 'the stupid one'.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Data Graham posted:

Seconded.

The car stuff was always just a platform. I watched for the collaborative comedy panel routine
Once I was at my grandparents' house, watching the Argentina special. My Gran was reading the newspaper, but about 20 minutes in she was watching it as well. Near the end of the episode she said: "Oh I see. It's not really about the cars, it's about the three of them fooling around!"

I think if anything, this becomes more obvious looking at the behind the scenes sections. Or listening to the drivetime radio show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhgqPJ5R9hM

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Ether Frenzy posted:

That show is surprisingly good, but the farm store and whatever cafe he's dreamt up here must be an astounding pain in the balls for anyone who lives within about 20 miles of it, these tiny country lanes that are the only way to get to some places aren't supposed to have 2 hour parking tailbacks on them.
Also people with impractical cars and/or who don’t know the width of their vehicle. One nervous driver on those lanes can cause problems for miles.

It was great driving through those lanes with a family member from London.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I didn't see the council make the point that I would have done, which is that the farm shop repeatedly broke the terms set out in the planning permission. For example the T-shirts from Vietnam. I'd have no confidence that the restaurant would have stuck to the planning permission either.

Councils acting terribly is a British pastime, which is why they need to be glad-handed (and bribed). Clarkson only seemed to deal with the locals when he wanted something out of them. I don't have much sympathy with him, though I'm sure other more worthy farmers have had similar experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I can't help but wonder how bad Flintoff would have looked just after the accident.