Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ColHannibal posted:

They would never race a Ferrari in one of these long distance super races as it would lose every time to reliability and having to stop every 15 minutes to refuel.

They already did, 612 scaglietti to switzerland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This just in, the smart car, fiat 500, and scion IQ make terrible pick-up trucks. If you're in the market for a pick-up truck you can scratch those off the list right now. Also, small cars don't adequately make up for a small penis, if you have a small penis you definitely need a bigger vehicle.

Useful consumer advice, there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

neckbeard posted:

Finally got around to watching the new TGUS episodes, the format of the episodes is a definite step in the right direction. Just having all 3 of them together for the majority of the episode builds the dynamic of the hosts relationship and how we see it so much better.

Would have been kind of cool if they would have been able to get one of those Carbon Motors E7 police cars instead of the Caprice, but I guess it makes more sense to have just the big 3.

does an actual E7 exist yet? It took them over 4 years to build a model they could push around to car shows.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

These were posted on a russian forum, i'm not sure where they got them, but i'll link them in case anybody doesn't want the season spoiled.

http://imgur.com/KIfdE
http://imgur.com/5BzEH rally racing a bentley
http://imgur.com/Uwqa0 This is part of a race between the GT500 and a train from england to milan
http://imgur.com/GKUJa
http://imgur.com/65BxJ
http://imgur.com/AIqB6 africa special, finding the source of the nile river with internet bought station wagons
http://imgur.com/yajPw

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pik_d posted:

They came from topgear.com:
gently caress, i'm dumb. I blame the flu.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They seem to be making the show more about the personalities and less about the cars, the problem is the personalities are TEEEEEERRRIIIBBLLEEEE. Rather than the cars in the challenges being the cars, they are in every situation part of the terrible hosts character.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Absolutely loved the whole episode. "26 laps into our 5 lap race...."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Another "buy cars and WRECK EM YEE HA! AMERICA gently caress YEAH SHOOTIN GUNS!" episode, and considering the next one is about RVs, it's probably not going to be any different. This show is turning into a demolition derby documentary faster than the channel it's on turned into the alien channel.

The last segment also showed that the navy needed an hour, 4 helicopters and like 30 men to do what the top gear camera crew did 40 times in that hour.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CornHolio posted:

Are you complaining? The cheap car challenges are always the best (and most useful for regular folks like me). I am perfectly fine with having a show that does mostly just that.

Every second from beginning to end is scripted, how the gently caress is it useful?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'd rather the money and viewership that comes entirely off the name went to a show made by people who enjoy cars, and staring people who enjoy cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The BRZ is a coupe, it has a trunk, the back window isn't part of it. the 500 is a hatchback. the 500c is a tent with a trunk. Richard hammond brought this to a hatchback comparo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

Oh man that Toyota! Such a great car, and at Golf money, too!

The GT500 was pretty awesome too, also for Golf money*

*the golf R in the UK can be configured up to 33,710 gbp

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nmfree posted:

No, that's a multitool.

Also, I actually believe that while the support mechanic probably did a good bit of work, Hammond actually did at least some of the real work on the car himself. Both he and May have taken up restoring old vehicles as a hobby, so they both will know at least something about doing basic repairs, welding, etc.

Or maybe the mechanic did all of the work and this was just a beauty shot. v:shobon:v

In England, a multitool is considered a side-arm as it has a 2" blade on it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Daric posted:

And then you'll wonder where they got gas

All hammond cooked was beans, that one should be obvious.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The GT86 is nearly twice the price of the base model Cee'd, that doesn't really qualify as reasonably priced.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vindolanda posted:

Watching Wheeler Dealers teaches you minor repairs, and the fact that Mike is the least honest man in used cars.

You obviously haven't met many used car salesman, mike is probably the most honest man in used cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

coolskillrex remix posted:

Part of the problem also stems from hot hatches just being really boring cars to review in general.

I don't know, that review kinda made me want a fiesta ST, i just wish it was priced a little more reasonably here, i mean, for $400 more you can get a fusion with the same drivetrain.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wolrah posted:

Isn't that sort of the point of the ST? Sort of the muscle car logic, the motor from your bigger cars stuck in the small one for fun? The Fusion has more than an extra foot in between the axles and another 600 pounds, it's not exactly a peppy handling machine like the Fiesta.

I would say the simple physics problem of tires only having so much traction to give does make it at least somewhat inherent. As you note the drivetrain packaging contributes as well as the fact that FWD tends to be found on cheap cars, but even if you were to build a mid-engine FWD with perfect balance and low polar moment you'd still have traction as an understeer-causing factor when on power and turning.

There's no doubt that good engineering can tune out most of the problems and have done so to the point that in a good vehicle under normal driving conditions there's no reason to really care which wheels are doing the work, but in the end if you have more power than tire in a corner FWD understeers and RWD oversteers.

In a way it is the point, But this particular car is more expensive in canada than it is in the UK, including the VAT in the uk price, and adding 500gbp for the 3-door/5-door difference. A $5,300 difference US to canada on a $22,000 car is massive, especially considering the difference US to canada on the fusion is about $800. It puts it into an entirely different price class of cars including the mustang, camaro, and challenger.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The hammond and may parts were terrible. Hammonds in particular seemed to have been edited by a 3 year old with the crown vic jumping around so much it almost looked like there were 8 of them out there. Clarkson has balls jumping a ferrari in the rain.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Data Graham posted:

I'm not as up on my geography of England as I should be, but what part of Hertfordshire was he showing off in the F12 segment? I've been combing over it in Google Earth for twenty minutes now and it all looks like virtually flat farmland. Where were those shots of lonely desolate winding roads through snow-flecked mountains taken?

The town he drives through is Pitlochry scotland, so the far far northern part of Hertfordshire, far northern part, like really far.

People seem not to have gotten the joke, but there is a big red "Pitlochry" van that drives between the camera and clarkson, and clarkson drives by a whole bunch of signs that say "Pitlochry", to give away the fact that he's not in Hertfordshire.

e: Found the road here because i'm REALLY good at google. You can match up that road off to the right with the frame when clarkson says "it's motoring nirvana." http://goo.gl/maps/cYzyr

So yeah, far nothern Hertfordshire

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 8, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Well technically the American car is a used-to-be-British car as well, if you read your history book. :haw:

Actually, the crown vic was made in canada, which is still part of the british commonwealth.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That was a good episode, the 3 have such great chemistry together, like they're lifelong friends. I couldn't make it very far into the Bandicoot Cabbagepatch interview, something about that guy creeps me out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

So nobody is looking for cheap as poo poo property in Spain then?

Just because it's empty/abandoned doesn't mean it's cheap. There have been commercial lots in Red Deer that have been sitting empty for 10 years and are overgrown with vegetation, and they are still asking $330,000 an acre.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

OptimusMatrix posted:

Yeah to hell with range I'd rather have it than the black series.

It would be seriously hard to choose. The instant torque vs the black series madness.

The first launch of the hovervan was hilarious, but kind of telegraphed with the wetsuits.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

US top gear had a bunch of terrible shows with terrible hosts and obviously nobody gives a poo poo.

The new real top gear perfect road trip DVD is already out and it is pretty awesome. Tons of great cars in beautiful environments. I'm surprised the Mclaren P1 didn't make an appearance.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It didn't seem scripted to me, at all. Now that some of you have pointed it out, i'll go back and see if i can spot any subtle hints, but i really think it was all real and legit.

Clarkson and may were so unscathed by the explosions because they've been in so many. It's like poison, you build up a tolerance.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

inklesspen posted:

When Clarkson drove into the lake, I was figuring he was doing the usual cocking about.

I was not expecting what happened.

I think that was scripted, it wasn't an accident at all!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm surprised how they didn't showcase how even on the larger highways, the speed limit slows down to 70kph every 3 fuckin miles just for gas stations.

Or maybe that's just normal to them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm assuming that the manufacturers give new cars to the show to use. What happens to them afterward?

Press cars, and they get crushed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Alighieri posted:

I want that alfa, the disco volante. I will give up everything to have it. Also enjoyed the new outside camera angle that faces in from the windscreen.

The top gear team has been watching /tuned and /bigmuscle.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Clarkson has lost his edge.

blah blah blah economy blah blah blah insurance blah blah blah boot space.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

echomadman posted:

Haha, nice Piers Morgan superslam from Clarkson there.

And another, And another.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jusupov posted:

Next two episodes are apparently the burma specials, and that's it for this season. Did they say when they are racing the two?

Some time in june or july when they can get them on the track together.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah easily one of my favorite specials. Loved the party with the locals, and all the trucks breaking down.

And may losing his poo poo over the breakdowns. It's awesome when the real james comes out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

friend of the family
friend of the family
friend of the family

I'm not racist, but

somebody sue this guy!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm surprised the BBC hasn't mandated that they need a female host yet, anyways.

Coming soon: Top gear series 23 with hosts, richard hammond, james may, and jo brand.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I guess there was a new episode of top gear usa tonight. Judging by this beehive of activity, everybody watched it?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The big problem with top gear US is they try to make it about the personalities, which the hosts completely lack. They just blandly recite poorly written lines.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tonights episode involves a 1000hp minivan.

The hosts are still cunts, but that minivan, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

If you hate Top Gear US to the point that you are literally shaking with sperg rage, you are just being a whiny baby. It's a good show. It's not as great as TGUK, but it's still a good show. Stop being a baby and watch the drat show or don't watch it. Seeing posts of "Wow, these hosts sure suck. Top Gear US sure does suck, right guys?" every week is getting annoying.

Found rutledge!