Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah last night's episode was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I like the usage of the bar song from Fire Walk With Me and some new Mogwai during the track building scene.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Scenery was gorgeous though, genuinely bummed out I'll never get to drive there.

Yup, Argentina is added to the "beautiful place but likely won't visit because of the people" list along with Greece.

Clarkson's story about his father hit a bit close to home for me, as I had to rush my dad to emergency last week. Not nearly as cool of a car as it was a beat up Corolla and not as time sensitive since my dad is now receiving care, but you could hear the familiar emotion in Clarkson's voice.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 30, 2014

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Marathoning TGUK before the new series has been worth it, apparently they did a 1949 challenge that I completely missed.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah even as someone who hasn't biked for years, my first instinct would be to hop the front wheel over the gap.

I thought the opening episode was okay, nothing too spectacular, but it was very Top Gear, and to have that back I am glad. Shame that their commentary on the new GT was basically "I didn't like the old one."

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I felt this episode was better than last weeks. It had it all: a three car challenge, something grandiose, tongue in cheek political humour, May being a smart rear end. :allears:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B38RcT5bCao

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly I'm fine with Top Gear undergoing another reformatting with new hosts. It's just a shame that it had to happen right in the middle of what was a good season. Hammond can go back to hosting morning shows and radio and May can continue doing interesting one-off documentary series.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Is there a way to filter this thread so it's only gifs and videos?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

New cooking video starts with May having a schooner full of ale. :allears:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

A lot of Top Gear fans seem to not care for the news segment, but some of the funniest stuff has come out of that segment. Every Christmas news segment is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPrg_ccBsRM

Jehde fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 24, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-oqdNtF_sE

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Extra Gear is surprisingly good. They really just need to replace new Top Gear with Extra Gear.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

There was one episode of Top Gear that had Chris Evans as the SIARPC. He talked about how he doesn't care much about cars, just likes the aesthetics of them. He specifically said he doesn't consider himself to be a "petrolhead".

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

shadow puppet of a posted:

The slap-hand hi fivery needs to be reigned in.

And the hugging. Needs more swearing and calling eachother names.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I enjoyed last night's episode. At this rate the show will be fine.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think Sabine does well in minor roles that involve driving fast, anything more than that and it's a bit grating. I see her as the team racing driver that should do the racing stuff not related to power laps, which the Stig covers.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's still worth watching new Top Gear for Harris and Reid's films.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

howe_sam posted:

That's my favorite part of the new format :shobon: I think it works well as a mild satire of the inanity of celebrities going on talk shows and plugging their latest work.

It's actually ridiculously bad. Like I never cared much for SIARPC but I didn't think they could make it worse in every way, but they did. I love rally/cross stuff but the rallycross track is just bad. I think the way the handle celebrity interviews in Extra Gear isn't too bad, getting their opinions on news items can be good. Either way they should just stick to one celebrity, or two if they're doing the same thing.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

sean10mm posted:

It was really puzzling. You just had to watch is previous appearance on Top Gear where he reluctantly lets James drive his old Ferrari California to realize the guy had no business being within 1,000 miles of the show.

Or his appearance before that as the SIARPC when he said himself that he is not a petrolhead.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

He would be great at commentating SIARPC laps.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hell there's enough good ones that I don't have time to watch them all. I think the current state of automative media is pretty good, especially now that Evans has been booted out of it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Except it is.

No, it's not.

We'll have two Top Gears now, and they're not airing at the same time. Having separate threads would be pointless and just mean alternating threads to post in based on whichever Top Gear is currently airing. Maybe renaming the thread would make sense, but not making redundant threads.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

If you really want you can rename the thread, but I have a feeling people will still just be calling it Top Gear for awhile.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

nthing that Grand Tour hasn't really lived up to the hype so far. Between the air forces bit from episode 1, American not-Stig, the military segment from this episode, and even Celebrity Brain Crash, they seem to be relying a bit much on repetitive jokes that get old fast, and everything feels a lot more scripted than it ever used to be. Also nthing that cheap car challenges really need to make a return. This thread is pretty biased towards CHM, so it seems to be colouring a lot of goons' opinions of Grand Tour, and this was also especially noticable with new new BBC Top Gear, again nthing that the trio probably needed the BBC more than the BBC needed them.

After The Great Fracas, everyone predicted that BBC Top Gear would just deteriate into nothing, and the Grand Tour would swoop in and make Top Gear greater than it ever was, but that's not really how it worked out. New BBC Top Gear started weak, but ended up getting better as they realized no one liked Evans and that Harris and Reid were where it was really at. Meanwhile Grand Tour started strong, but it's already starting to get stagnant just 2 episodes in.

But this is all just impressions from 2 episodes in, they still got 10 episodes to go and who knows what will happen in those. I just know that where I currently stand, I used to have one great motoring programme, now I have two pretty good ones and that's A-okay.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This episode was better than last week's, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. Other than the brief house demolition, there was really only one film in this episode, their rather lacklustre grand tour. Throughout that whole film there was only one joke repeated ad nauseam, Hammond is annoying. No challenges, other than a race between two of them, and no taking turns pulling pranks on eachother.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Cod and halibut are alright, I can understand not particularly liking them, but calling salmon disgusting? :psyduck:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The music has definitely been lacking overall but I was happy to hear some Maserati during an early segment of the special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X03uNTLlPLM

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This is very different from the previous ones.

It's not red.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I didn't get the love for rory last season, i felt like he needed a few years in the writers room to really develop as a presenter.

The point is that Reid has potential. Even Harris is a bit rough around the edges still. The rest of the crew from season 1 were dead ends, so good riddance to them. Also a reminder that it took a couple seasons of old new Top Gear before they got in their stride.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Snackula posted:

Why does he have to talk in the middle of a hot lap at all? I get that they didn't just want to do the Stig again but just give him 10 seconds before and after his timed run to do the shtick and then gently caress off.

It might be one of those things where "a silent team racing driver" is a copyright of BBC's Top Gear.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

KakerMix posted:

I think I liked this episode of Top Gear more than most of the episodes of Grand Tour. It felt way less forced and much more natural. Owns we get two rad car shows to watch.

Yup. I hope the rest of this series maintains a similar quality, then I can't wait for Grand Tour to up their game to match it. Competition leads to improvements.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I haven't bothered with Extra Gear this series because it's not really needed anymore. Last series Extra Gear was actually better than the main show at times.

And yeah I understand CHM love, but this new trio works better than GT's on screen chemistry so far.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

She can drive and has a funny accent. So put her in a car so she can say funny things in a funny accent while driving fast. Anything more than that and she becomes more annoying than anything.

Eddie on the other hand had no redeeming qualities at all.

EDIT: Having Sabine instead of Harris as the driving instructor would've worked, but Harris worked out well too so. :shrug:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 7, 2017

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

davebo posted:

I could stand for Harris to be a little less indignant about how bad the celebrities drive though. Clarkson would often poke fun, showing repeated clips a celebrity that accidentally 180'd or went on the grass on the frequently wet track, and that's fine. Chris though, seemed like he was way too personally offended that someone who's not an avid car fan kept driving poorly on a wet track in a RWD car with skinny tires? That's gonna happen a lot so get used to it.

Harris plays a small angry bald man for comedic effect. It works.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Did Rory even do anything besides be one the side lines of Harris' segment? I hope they don't just have him drive the hatchbacks and mom cars and he gets to get out there with the other two.

He wasn't part of the convertible roadtrip which was a majority of the episode. I had my concerns too, but honestly having a roadtip between just two of them still works out pretty good. My biggest problem is that the films are so drat long now, not like old new Top Gear where you'd get a handful of films per episode.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I enjoyed this episode. A good car-focused installment of Top Gear.

The use of Sabine was perfect.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 20, 2017

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I especially like that we got more than 2 films this week.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Season 1 isn't worth watching at all is it?

It has some alright parts but overall it's pretty bad. Probably best to skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

My hope is that Top Gear having a homerun series will make Grand Tour up the competition, but something tells me they won't think that's necessary.