Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tanner vs. Stig Prime yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

I don't think modified vehicles are in the spirit of Top Gear, but the US seems to be going with it.

I seem to recall Clarkson and the gang breaking out a van with crazy super powerful engine when they were racing the Top Gear: Australia cast. And a good chunk of the cars they review have been tuned up by somebody.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

nmfree posted:

There's possibly a Top Gear/Top Gear US crossover? :getin:

Tanner vs StigPrime :getin:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tanner! :neckbeard:

GutBomb posted:

I don't think so. This one had the sound clip that kicked off all the speculation.

I want to see Tanner vs Stig Prime :(

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

PT6A posted:

Is there a Canadian equivalent? I can't think of anyone, outside of actual politicians, who's so divisive.

Don Cherry?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

I don't see why I can't hold the position that I really enjoy Top Gear, but despise racism and have zero tolerance for workplace violence.

Yeah, I want to continue to watch the large, shouty Englishman with bad opinions on my television, but on the other hand, punching a guy at work is not cool and deserves some sort of consequences.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Which season had Tanner racing against himself in the Stingray? That was cool.

Top Gear US should just be Tanner drives really fast cars against the Stig. Rut and Adam commentary optional.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Wilman says: “There was Richard in Ross-on-Wye with no phone signal. Jeremy thought he was Richard Branson – it was like he’d swallowed a business book you buy at an airport. Then James would fixate on a point, saying, ‘I’m sorry to go back on this, but…’ It went on and on like this.”

This sounds exactly like something they'd film as a bit for the show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It took me way too long to get the joke about the Stig. "Why can't The Stig go to the Amazon? Will he rust or something?" :doh:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Keyser S0ze posted:

LeBlanc with the 'Merica Evel Knievel helmet and eskimo coat is perfect. :smugdog:

Looks more like Captain America's helmet from Easy Rider to me, but same difference. The Star-Spangled Reliant Robin(?) is also pretty great.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Didn't Tanner race The Stig at one point? It was that a time trial?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Getting caught up on the season to date. that koenigsegg :stare:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Car for Life episode of TG USA was pretty good. The acceleration of that Tesla :stare:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

japtor posted:

Then Tanner trying to drift it :laugh:

And then he did drift the Hellcat :supaburn:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tanner vs a goddamn tank is pretty loving :black101:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Things I enjoy about Top Gear: US. Constant exhortations to Adam not to die.

e: so Equus is the American Zonda?

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 25, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sabine making the Top Gun pilot car sick was fantastic. The Viper is pure :911: The cinematography is still great. Both guests were fun, but the two barrel setup is atrocious. I do not like the SIARPC rallycross.

Other than that, gently caress it, it's more Top Gear.

e: oh and my favorite line of the night was the Top Gun guy saying they fine everyone :10bux: for quoting the movie.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 30, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

CornHolio posted:

Between Clarkson, Hammond and May, Hammond was the shoutiest and he wasn't usually front-and-center. Clarkson and May's style was laid back

Jeremy "POWER!" Clarkson isn't shouty? :raise:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oh god, that star in a rally car segment went on for loving ever.

Mustache Ride posted:

I enjoyed seeing Jenson Button destroying a McLaren.

He hooned the the every loving gently caress out of that car. :stare:

Integrating the artists into the challenge was an interesting choice.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I do like having the other guest do the plug. It feels like something Craig Ferguson would do to mock the entire concept of guests coming on talk shows to plug poo poo.

The problem is that without the news they're extending the objectively worst segment in the history of the show so they keep the same amount of studio time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Huh, did Top Gear finally borrow a bit from Top Gear US with Sabine racing the driver's aids? Tanner did the same thing in a Corvette a couple years back.

Putting the photoshopped pictures of the celebrities in front of their car is just one of a litany crimes against the segment,

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

neckbeard posted:

Just got around to watching this week's Top Gear USA episode and I gotta say, it was one of their best episodes yet. Really captured the 'ambitious but rubbish' spirit.

This is truth. And to expand on that a little further. I think the current true successor of the former So-Called Top Gear is Top Gear USA. Harris and Reid were great, but could select alternate vehicles for the mail truck? And make me laugh myself silly in the process?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It also made me unironically curious about what the next gen mail van is going to look like

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

If nothing else the guy putting the soundtrack together remains on point. Fury Road and Man from U.N.C.L.E. were both excellent choices.

The Vulcan bit was :dogbutton: Mythbusters and Alton Brown did a better job cooking food with a car. The challenges still, on the whole, feel a little off compared to old Top Gear (or Top Gear USA), but presumably that will come with time. Harris and Rory are both real good at talking about cars.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

davebo posted:

My favorite was the CHiPS theme song for the Goldwing's appearance.

That's what that was! I knew I should've recognized the song, but couldn't quite place it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So far, they haven't really driven any cars where you'd expect a lot of break downs.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It retrospect it was pretty obvious Tanner was taking a dive because he's the only one of the three who could ride a bike that far and not die. I do wish they could've spent more time on the race across LA

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Man, bummer about TG:USA :smith:

I think Harris is better at doing the test laps than any of the old crew.

The old Jag test driver was a bad rear end, and Rory recreating his drive to Geneva was vintage Top Gear.

Reid and Harris really should just be trusted with hosting the show in its more classic format.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Man, I hope this isn't the last we see of Adam, Rut, and Tanner loving around in cars. :smith:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

neckbeard posted:

The cinematography for the Mustang review was spectacularly beautiful. I'd put that on there on par (or even better) than the V12 Vantage review

I think all of the review films this week were great, and Patrick Dempsey deserves a shot around the traditional track in the Liana.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tricky Ed posted:

Format-wise, ... take out the stupid 'read what the other one is doing' part.

That's my favorite part of the new format :shobon: I think it works well as a mild satire of the inanity of celebrities going on talk shows and plugging their latest work.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Jesus, the celebrity bit is just loving dragging

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It was flabby and a little too full of itself. Pretty much exactly what you'd think would happen if you give those three unlimited money.

Which isn't to say it was bad, just indulgent.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Keyser S0ze posted:

The USA driver and his bits were dumb - was he actually a NASCAR driver?

Not only was he a NASCAR driver, but he won the (truck) series!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

FiftySeven posted:

In regards to your bit in the spoilers:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/09/jeremy-clarkson-angers-neighbours-by-blowing-up-his-4m-farmhouse-during-local-village-funeral-6118802/ I am willing to bet that this might be somewhat related...

This is why I knew what the result of final timed laps would be, or at least had a pretty good idea.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Un-l337-Pork posted:

The producers of Top Gear should just give up now, or completely reinvent their show, because this is better in every way.

I feel like Chris Harris did a better review of the M2, but it's been a while since I've seen that episode so I could be wrong,

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

Hasn't US Top Gear been canceled?

Kind of yeah, they're amenable to finding a new home for it, but at the moment it's dead

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The military but started out as good having fun at how incompetent the three of them are, but devolved into a trio of over the hill white dudes living out their action movie fantasies.

It really shouldn't be a surprise The Grand Tour is over indulgent considering Amazon gave them infinity dollars.

Still, it's better than a Chris Evans segment:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Hellcat Charger is pure insanity, modern Rolls look like goddamn bricks. And why the gently caress didn't they let The American drive a Hellcat around the Eboladrome? 700hp MOPAR, he would've felt right at home, ignoring the fact that I guess he primarily drove Chevys in NASCAR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

JBark posted:

Whenever they made the switch from a TGUK copy to just doing "3 guys driving around in cars" is when it got pretty decent.

To some extent they never got away from being a TGUK copy because even after they dropped the studio audience, siarpc, etc, they still culled a good chunk of their challenges from Top GearUK.

Still though I'll always have a soft spot for TGUS because they filmed the semi challenge ten miles from my home town, and that was neat.