Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Looks like the next episode is gonna have them buying second hand maseratis. This should be fantastic.

A real challenge would be finding three running Biturbos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Humphreys posted:

I feel bad for liking the looks of the Biturbo

I always liked the Biturbo. Came drat close to buying one around 20 years ago but by that point I learned a few things in life in regards to the more rarer cars are money pits based on previous stupid purchases. Wish I could remember the price and the year. Was probably late 80's and $6K or so.

For the Maserati enthusiast, they are definitely looked down upon.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Waltzing Along posted:

I just watched the Namibia episodes. I'm not a hard core fan, but those two were amazing. Is that the best thing they have ever done?

They were good but the end some would say was disappointing. But yeah, the scenery and the sense of freedom you got watching them was incredible.

SUV one (last week) was great as well. I feel that was about the best well rounded one.

In short, I think they are real close to hitting their stride on what "works." The season finale trailer looks great.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's the same setup.

I was expecting the show to be somewhat ruined based on Edd's statements when he quit. But yeah, it's identical. Ant is good in the fabrication department as well.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

opengl128 posted:

Some of the mechanical bits do seem to be more glossed over now. In the latest episode (the Dodge van) they started off with "so I removed the engine" and didn't show a single bit of it. Still not bad though.

Heh, was going to mention that exact thing because I was curious on how they did it. Through the top or the bottom, but looks like through the top since that's how they put the new one in. Then you had the issue with probably driveshaft length to screw with. Probably due to lack of time.

The other thing that bugged me with the van was the front bumper and being welded. What the hell did the seam look like?

But all in all not bad like you said. I do get a chuckle how they do dollars first than pounds. But when when he measured for the crossmember he gave some exact metric measurement. Then 10 minutes later said it was exactly 30" (don't quote me). Yeah, I'm sure back in '65 the Dodge engineers specced the dimension in metric and coincidentally it came out to an exact imperial measurement.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

InitialDave posted:

That series preview clip included an XJ220 racing an EB110. :awesome:

Always had a soft spot for those two.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Nill posted:

Eh.... It's only technical in the most remedial way, eating into the time that should be devoted to the episode's car to instead laboriously explain basic concepts. Whole segments of the restoration are being skipped over in service of this.
I'd rather see the specific challenges presented by a vehicle than an exhibition of what water cooling is.

Yeah, I agree with you and the post above as somewhat of a compromise on how it could of ended up...it is hard to put a finger on. Is the whole intro thing with buying the car, fake negotiating longer than the original and they have to cut some parts out of the builds? Or is the scope of their builds too much for one show? Dunno.

It's not bad. Not great. But better than I anticipated given why Edd quit and how I thought the direction was going to go based on Edd's reasons.

What about the PowerTV (or whatever they call it now) block?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I had no clue who the bear guy was. Just this morning wife is watching a show. Next show comes on called "Finding Beasts" or something and the host of the show was the bear guy. That gave me a chuckle.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The show does seem to be careening around like a drunk Ted Kennedy on deciding where to go. They need more goofball stupid challenges. Hammond's accident probably screwed up things quite a bit this year. But it is obvious they listen to feedback given their comments on the american driver.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Falken posted:

F1 has had plenty of that over pretty much the entire course of it's existence.

In recent (some not so recent) years; Brawns double deck diffusers, McLarens f-ducts (named because the inlet duct was positioned next to the "F" in "VODAFONE" on the McLaren MP4-25), Red Bulls bendy front wing, Mercedes burning oil with the fuel to get around the fuel usage regs, Renaults mass dampers on the R25, the active suspension on the Williams FW15C to name a few.

e: This episode was amazing.

These are a few of my favorites:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrrell_P34
(6 wheels)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabham_BT46
(the fan car)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

As an american and car person I've come to terms with boot, bonnet, wings, lorries, lift, the tube, etc.

I gotta say, next time I take my growler to get filled up I'll never think of it the same way.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Loved the episode. Bugatti made a concept 4 door EB110:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_EB_112

That would have been a blast.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Is this the last one of the of season?

As for the electronic parking brake some cars have incline sensors that will hold the car in position on a hill at a stoplight.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Could be worse, could be that push pedal + pull handle combo Mercedes Benz used.

Push button now.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with parking brakes.

1) Periodic adjustment, lube, etc. not done.
2) They are somewhat complicated when doing a rear brake job.
3) Rust belt poo poo.
4) No one knows what they are for.

Add it all up, and yep...here's the current situation.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

KakerMix posted:

We all know that Toyota is the one that is decidedly not cool at any parties.

Unless you pull up in the 2000GT.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

James Bond wasn't bald.

edit (But I get your point)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

drat. Weren't they going to do something with that place?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, that was good. How anyone thought the bridge part was a good idea to go ahead is boggles my mind.

Twenty blocks of nothing but auto parts. Dang.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Problem is it is an impossible formula to solve. We all have our likes/dislikes that they try to balance to appease a greater audience for ratings.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Powershift posted:

laughed when hammond said the northstar was a good engine, laughed even harder when he (presumably) blew the head gasket.

Are there any functional Northstars still on the road?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I was quite happy to watch both of my Northstars go to the scrap yard.

When it first came out, amazing engine. If only GM spent...oh...let's say $20 more on it...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Mister Kingdom posted:

Call me weird, but I've always liked the X1/9.

Not at all. Bertone you know...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It was essentially a design study for the Lancia Stratos that followed shortly after. Both cars are cool.

Yes, they are.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Personal opinion, (and I know different strokes for different folks) but as long as they can intersperse some of the cheap car/stupid challenge stuff along the way I'll be content.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah going to make an off-topic post and state that was a good episode.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

opengl128 posted:

The Mondeo ST wagon made me really mad all we got was the Contour SVT. That thing looked rad.

The Contour SVT was at least...'passable'. I know faint praise.

Seeing one now would be like spotting a unicorn.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Was, show is done now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, and as a development mule it was probably beat to hell before it started the next phase in its life.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

I have no idea what Gerald says though.

I actually flipped on subtitles to see how it would handle him. It had them for most of what he said mixed in with some "indiscernible".

Show is better than I expected.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Just finished. Hard to top Gerald on the walkie talkie.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

Jeremy Clarkson is only 62 years old.

It's the mileage, not the years for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Naw, ending of Grease.