Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Goddamn it, EVERY time Top Gear gets mentioned...

This is a discussion thread for series 18. Nobody gives a drat if you don't like the show. These 'debates' have no value and never go anywhere. This stuff is completely subjective, anyway. Whinging about Top Gear every time it's mentioned is just tiresome, and in the context of this thread it's no different than waltzing into the Mustang thread to treat everyone to your big, awesome, veiny opinion about how "Mustangs suck!"

Talk about the show or, if you don't like it, don't read the thread. It's pretty straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

otaku69 posted:

Tell me who do you think I meant, when I said "they are dirty" And also gently caress you and the 12 year old child you rode in on you human being.

gently caress off

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
It's time for Richard Porter to go.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Thanks Andy Wilman for your well written thoughts I understand your budget is small I hope it gets bigger in the future also regarding the garden scene is to be but as much as they cannot so we instead had to use trains which was for the boys' safety and the government needed to see the script those lunches we real but it was all for fun well I should be off I have some more correspondence to write it should be fun so take care trains safety car doors being opened into other cars sincerely sigtrap

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

but the main theme of the show is actually exploring class differences, which is a big part of why it never took in in America.

What are you even basing any of this on?

It is absolutely not about "exploring class differences" and the reasons it doesn't work in America are many and have nothing to do with class.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

Crankit posted:

What doesn't work in America, Top Gear, or do you mean the dynamic of Top Gear USA?

I was referring to making a Top Gear USA that is more similar to the UK original. One difference right up front is the fact that the networks in the states are ad-revenue supported, so from what I understand a lot of your flexibility for saying "The new Chevrolet _____ is a complete pile of poo poo" goes out the window. Even though it's LEGAL to say that (within reason) GM still has their lawyers on the phone in nothing flat, threatening to pull all their advertising (and that of their corporate holdings). So, if you don't have complete freedom to 'tell it like it is' then you're stuck having to be positive about almost everything.

That said, I haven't seen much TG:USA. The point is, saying that the main theme to TG is "exploring class differences" is ridiculous. Some of the humor might indirectly spring from that, but suggesting that, in essence, they all sat around a board room table at the BBC and said "You know what we need? A show about class differences. We can use automobiles as a metaphor!" is silly.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

b0nes posted:

That accent is horrible.

Then so's yours, whatever it is.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
It was my understanding that all American cars are equipped with burger warmers, is true yes?

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
But isn't this Alfa a bit different than what they've done before? Here you have what looks like a more obvious attempt to make a cheap, light, plastic screamer. But, if it's just a more expensive Elise, then really what are you buying?

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
I hate apple pie as well. And baseball. And puppies. And blue skies. And not war (when there's not a war).

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
I have zero tolerance for anything other than zero tolerance as I find it intolerable

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

Mister Kingdom posted:

I know he can't help it, but I can't stand to hear Ross talk.

Woss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
I lack the brains, you lack the looks...