Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Hermansen posted:

wiki spoilers:
Travel

I wonder how hamster's guys have been doing being abroad so much. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Luke Skywalker Kick.gif

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I couldn't have agreed with May more. Momentum driving is awesome fun in slow cars - carry as much speed through corners to save from trying to accelerate.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Spotted something better than the Challenger.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Data Graham posted:

This way it's just "okay let's watch an indistinguishable lap being driven by someone we don't even know, all right now let's go inside and see who it is".

Sometimes they're a bit rough with the blending from feauture > star-car segment. It's like they just cut their "challenge" and spliced in the star-car part like no one would notice the abrupt halt to the challenge.

As you said, it would be a lot better with the interview first. TGUK is good for having a bit of a "we'll pick this up a bit later, but first a star..." spot while IN the studio, so it feels a bit more natural than randomly appearing at the side of the track with the "celebrity".

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Do we know how many more US episodes are left to air?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
TopGear US: The Big-O communication system had me in tears.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

CornHolio posted:

The super-long Vette actually doing the slalom had me in stitches, as did the ghetto popemobile. I think, overall, it was better than the TGUK limo episode.

For sure.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Maybe they'll use the time to take a month long adventure in Yugos to cross the former USSR. (they've been just about everywhere else).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

404GoonNotFound posted:

That or do Yet Another America Special for 24 Hours of LeMons.

US AND UK TEAMS!

Having both teams fight it out would be awesome over 24hrs.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Also, make it a two part special.

First hour is broken into two equal halves - the half is the UK team's vehicle selection, purchase, and subsequent build. The other half would be the US team's shot.

Of course for viewing purposes they'd be intertwined during editing. I just want equal time for each side to show some of the tom foolery involved in process.

The second special would be the race.

Simple and beautiful.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I scrolled through those and thought, "Clarkson, May, and Hammond" in that order for your first three pics.

It's like the three bears; large, medium, and retarded.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Think of the last Suzuki Swift/Aveo.

Those were absolute pieces of poo poo cars. Same characteristics of gutless and shockingly poo poo on the highway.

In winter, I was having the rear end end step out when going under overpasses on the highway. The wind would hit the side of the car and it would start dancing in an rear end pucker moment.

The Miata was a way better winter car.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

No one wants to load up an action movie and a bad guy is being chased in a boring Peugot.

*cop rides the diesel's torque band in Peugeot and catches crim in a Honda*

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Jeremy Clarkson (@jcrclarksonesq)
2012-09-17 3:00 PM

Tonight, when you are asleep, a pan European Top Gear race begins. Me in a car. Hammond and May on public transport. Wish them bad luck.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Rut said they are filming 10 more episodes. :dance:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

davebo posted:

I'm gonna say that while the original will always be best, in terms of loudest laugh I'd say that for me the mustang flying was second only to the first time Clarkson crashed the Robin. And even that was pretty close.

One of my favourite moments was the Clarkson "mobile home/tower". When they showed May's goose-laugh reaction to the swaying, I was in tears.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Don't worry, it's the 458 Spyder. This actually looks really good.

All the chemistry of James and Jeremy shooting the poo poo without hamster.

:dance:gently caress ya:dance:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Change that one to "Drink whenever Brewer is an insufferable cockney oval office" and you'll be hammered within seconds.

Let's swap Edd from Wheelers with Hamster from TopGear. TopGear challenges would be hilariously one-sided adventures of James and Jeremy trying to ruin Edd's poo poo (because it's good) rather than loving with Hammond because he's Hammond.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kenshin posted:

I will never understand the hate for Hammond.

When a presenter is doing a by-themselves segment, I feel Hammond's fall a bit short. :rimshot:

It's not really hate, but I disliked the recent roles they scripted for him.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Okan170 posted:

Also, I will always have this show to thank for making me watch James May's other various shows. I feel like I could listen to him talk about nearly anything.

This. :allears:

James May, can you provide a constant narration of my life directly streamed into my head? It'd certainly make a day of mundane tasks seem a whole world more interesting.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Viggen posted:

It's either one owned by uf, or sockington. We can get the play-by-play here at least 4 months sooner..

My wife's old 2004 Focus. I swear I replaced more on that piece of poo poo than any other car I've owned.

It went through an offroad rally at the hands of my wife. She left the road at 140km/h, slid down an angled berm on the outside of the corner, got airborne off the driveway which sloped up the other way, and then flew rear end backwards into a collection of small trees and brush.

$9,000 later and insurance had it back on the road.

But if course, that happened about a month after we got it back from this $7,000 body job from someone running a red light and smacking me on the passenger front wheel.

So that Focus never felt "right" again until I put the nail in the coffin one last time.

The airbags had never once deployed in this checkered history. Still got $5500 from insurance for it in 2011. :v:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Data Graham posted:

In S18 Hammond seemed to be going out of his way to show off how fit he was—lots of tight shirts, bare arms, funky hipster haircuts, etc.

To me it screamed :byodood: I SPENT THE PAST THREE MONTHS AT THE GYM YOU GUYS

It's like he became Cal, from "Undergrads".

"Hey guy! Should I wear my tight shirt, or my tight tight shirt?"

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I wish the GT86 was made the new SIARPC. It'd make laps a whole lot more entertaining.

Edit: Suppose it would be "moderately priced" by comparison of the Kia. :(

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

. They should have found people who had more automotive background.

Sorry, I wasn't home when they called. :v:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

nutnmunch posted:

To be honest, Adam Carolla isn't funny at all to me. Everyone always brings up his name, but I honestly don't understand how he'd fit at all. I mean, that other car show was pretty awful. Didn't he have full control over it?

One could argue the "Top Gear" name has weight when it comes to gaining initial viewership.

Also, he would be PART of the writing team so it wouldn't be such an echo chamber of so-so ideas.

Think if Hammond did all the writing for TG. :3:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I loved how quickly that Bugeye was changing direction while towing. Dance, Subie, dance! :dance:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Foehammer007 posted:

Some gifs I found of the latest episode.

This is every Subaru owner in winter.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

I'm just amazed Rutledge found an International Scout II. Sure, most if not all of the drivetrain was switched out, but for radical offroaders that's not rare. The fact that the body and frame was not a pile of rust is the impressive part.

Our resident Scout expert stated earlier in the thread that he suspected the body was a reproduction tub instead of the original steel body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Where's the gas tank in a mid-engined car?

The AW11 MR2 has a long thing one that goes under the center console between the seats. Roughly 12" tall, 8" wide, and 40" long