Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
New OP, courtesy of bennyfactor!

Top Gear Series 21! Now almost as old as old Top Gear! New episodes of the series began airing February 2nd on BBC2, and in an unheard of feat of transatlantic content delivery, will air just 8 days later on BBC America (beginning February 10th).

Upcoming episodes will contain a review of the Golf Mk VII, the Dacia Sandero (Good News!), a mess of new supercars, Jeremy racing a hydrofoil on a jetski, a trip to SE Asia, Chernobyl, and the requisite threadshitting about scripted bits and too many fakey explosions..

For those who have been dead for the past 10 years or so, Top Gear is a car-related entertainment show on BBC2 which, for the most part consists of a car review, the hosts cocking about amidst a series of challenges and a celeb interview

Starring:
Jezza Clackson

Mister Slowly

The Hamster

and Stigadict Cumberbatch

PS don't be an idiot and talk about :filez:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Ziploc posted:

More gifs please.

Reaction to seeing a frostbitten penis in the Polar Special, which is my favorite of the specials. Although, any of them can be used as an introduction to the show, you really get their personalities coming out moreso than in the regular episodes.

After I posted this thread I went out to finish my Christmas shopping and picked up the December issue of Top Gear magazine, which is awesome, but pricey over here in Canada ($12.95) However, if you've got someone you still need to buy something for who likes cars and/or Top Gear you can't go wrong with a copy of the magazine.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Merry Christmas from Austria India from the Top Gear blokes.

India special is going to be 90 minutes??? Thank you baby jesus!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Mad Dragon posted:

15? Jesus. I just started S3 on Netflix, since I've never watched more than YouTube clips. I'll eventually watch them all, but are there any recommendations on absolute must-see episodes?

the Top Gear Polar Special is what I use to introduce people to the show :canada:. The Vietnam Special is also fantastic.

For regular episodes
S08E03 - Amphibious cars challenge
S10E07 - £1200 British Leyland cheap-car challenge
S10E09 - Top Gear enters the Britcar 24 Hour Endurance Race
S12E06 - Did the communists ever make a good car? • A not-so-ordinary road test of the Ford Fiesta with the Royal Marines.
S13E02 - What is the perfect car for 17 year olds for £2,500?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

the series where they had two stars in every episode :ughh:

series 11, yeah, the SIARPC segments were hurting there, but that series did have a solid amount of challenges/trips/everything else

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

I enjoyed it once they got to the mountains, but before that it was predictable and boring

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

I really hope IAMAUTO never actually reaches production

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

I HATE CARS posted:

Man, I supposed I shouldn't surprised about racism after that mustang thread from a few years back, but that latest SIARPC sure seems to have brought you all out again.

gently caress off. No one has posted anything even remotely close to racist. He was boring, that's why no one liked it.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

echoplex posted:

Getting Hollywood A-listers and Wil.i.am is a bit mind boggling though.

Next week as per wikipedia: Matt "I'm no longer Joey from Friends" LeBlanc

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Sedgr posted:

I'd really like to see a cheap car challenge episode sometime where they are all forced to buy $1000 VW Beetles and do something with them. I think it was maybe the Africa special where they were talking about how its one of the few cars all three of them absolutely hate. The guys are great when they have things they either really love or really really hate, and I can imagine the ranting about the Beetle being hugely entertaining.

That idea has some good potential; but increase the budget a bit and tell them to use whatever leftover money they have to prep their vehicle for a race. Keeping the details of the race vague until after they've modified them, since one (or all) of them will modify it to be specialized for a different type of race than they've been entered in.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Craig Ferguson would be a phenomenal SIARPC.

This needs to happen.

James, Richard, or Jeremy on Craig Ferguson would be even better.

Have any of the TG US guys been on The Late Late Show?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Jeremy Clarkson and Andy Williams talking about the reaction to the first episode and petrol head/casual viewers of the show

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2012/02/04/video-more-from-jeremy-and-andy-wilman-on-series-18/

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

the slow-mo shots in the Ferrari/Bentley segment were just fantastic. Would have like to have seen how well the FF would have done on studded tires though

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Sweevo posted:

I don't understand why the engine in the Fister wasn't diesel? They're much better suited to generators - more efficient generally, plus all the torque at lower revs. And they can be incredibly powerful if you only have to tune them to run in a very narrow rev band.

America hates diesel - that's why. Shame though, for the reasons you mentioned.

For over $100K it's not hard to see why they're running into problems financially. If that type of car/system could be deployed for somewhere in the $50-80K range, that'd be great, though it would mean they'd probably have to comprimise on all the organic materials and/or do some platform sharing and parts bin materials.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

The race at the beginning was fluff, wish they would have used that time for the Saab segment, that was gold.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Wish this episode was a track day special and they spent the whole episode with those cars, though I would have settled for a front row audience special based on tonight as well.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Deceptor101 posted:

The trackday thing was great, but I was amazed at how incredibly slow the KTM was. How is it so expensive an only a 1:27?

I found the slow track time a bit odd too. I thought it was going to do a sub 1:25 time.It's expensive because they used a lot of carbon fiber in it. The power:weight ratio of the KTM is a little bit better than the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR FQ-400 which did it in 1:24.8 So I guess Stig was having an off-day or the car just has lovely handling characteristics?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Instead of those terrible Top Gear related DVDs they put out around Christmas time they really need to put out a "James May checks out someone's amazing car collection" special instead.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Poor MR2 :smith: Although I wonder if it had the 5sfe or the 3sge in it.

5sfe was the USDM engine, so would not have been using that

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

3 more TGUS episodes for this season

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, let's see the guys get across the Darien Gap.

(Without it turning into a rehash of the Bolivia special.)

Totally love to see them do the Alaska Highway, though. Probably not the Dalton just because it ends very anticlimactically (oil rigs woo), plus we've all seen it on Ice Road Truckers. Dempster would be neat... but the Alcan itself probably has the best variety of terrain/scenery and opportunities for drama both along the way and at the end.

I did Alaska Highway/Dempster Highway last year from Edmonton to Rock River Campground (like 50Km into the Arctic Circle) Would be a great concept; start them out in Dawson Creek (start of the Alaska Highway) and have them go to the Arctic Circle - about 2300Km. Northern BC has amazing driving roads that are scary as poo poo at dusk/night when all the wildlife comes out. Dempster was a bit surreal, it was rainy and foggy when we first got on it, and then there's just an endless expanse.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Finally got around to watching the new TGUS episodes, the format of the episodes is a definite step in the right direction. Just having all 3 of them together for the majority of the episode builds the dynamic of the hosts relationship and how we see it so much better.

Would have been kind of cool if they would have been able to get one of those Carbon Motors E7 police cars instead of the Caprice, but I guess it makes more sense to have just the big 3.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Powershift posted:

does an actual E7 exist yet? It took them over 4 years to build a model they could push around to car shows.

There's prototypes, but that's it. Company was denied a $310 million loan from the government earlier in the year, so they're still trying to raise funds apparently
http://www.govtech.com/technology/Next-Gen-Police-Car-Takes-Shot-from-Uncle-Sam.html
http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20120814/NEWS06/120814009

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

opengl128 posted:

I was really expecting a diesel when I saw Tanner show up in the 528i. Looked it up and it appears you can only get them in SUVs now. Stupid.

I was really expecting a diesel when Adam showed up. Last summer some friends and I went 750 miles without refueling in a 2005 Ram 3500 diesel, and the fuel tanks on the new ones are bigger, over 50 gallons.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Imp Boy posted:

I think TGUS is really starting to find its stride, I was laughing my rear end off for most of the last two episodes. I'm even warming up to Adam as the representation of American automotive stupidity, although he's still the weakest part of it.

the only thing that I find restricting is how it's edited now for commercials. they toss in a preview of what's coming up later then do a recap of what has happened. beyond that, this season has been fantastic

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

davebo posted:

Out of curiosity since it's a car-related tv show, does anyone else here watch Canada's Worst Driver?

I don't normally watch it, but one of the guys on this season, Azim, works for the same company as I do, and has a desk about 30 feet away from me. Everyone that was on this season hates Klyne.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Saw the new 'Worst Car in the History of the World' video today. Pretty good, a lot less fluff than their usual direct-to-dvd specials. Needed more Pontiak Aztek though, but I'm happy with their selection of worst car all things considered Lexus SC 430

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

angryhampster posted:

I enjoyed the DVD. Seemed put together well and the commentary was pretty funny. I also laughed my rear end off when I saw an SC430 Neiman Marcus edition in my friends' parents garage over the weekend.

Looked it up - those things were $70,000 when they were new...

CornHolio posted:

I'm sorry, when I think 'worst car in the world' I don't think of Ferraris, so no matter how much they try, I can't be convinced it's even remotely in contention. The SC430 at least still has 300 horsepower, despite being terrible in every other way.

I don't think it would have been a good marketable title; but "The Worst Vehicles Made by Company X" would have been more appropriate.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Great episode, I was never really sold on the look of the Huayra, but it looked amazing in the green paint in the studio.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

meme posted:

personally I'd jump motorbikes off piers but rallying supercars is good too

I've always thought a Countach in a rally would be the best stupid idea if I had too much money

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Haven't watched the new TGUS yet, is it like last season where they abandon the studio and there's just a central challenge for the whole episode and the winner does a little review in some new supercar?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

cinematography-wise, that was one of their best looking episodes ever.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

That doesn't seem too terrible when you look at this crash pic:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

grover posted:

While Top Gear certainly can't resist certain exaggerations, pre-planned "spontaneity" and literary license, there are real ghost cities in Spain and the airport was a real airport that was closed 3 years after it opened; all victims to the great recession and bursting of the housing bubble.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/16/spain-ghost-towns-real-estate-crash_n_1281032.html

China's even worse. When I was in Beijing last summer I saw massive areas of 30+ story highrise condos completely deserted and as you procede out of the city you drive by this creepy place: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/12/chinas-abandoned-wonderland/100207/

The HBO show Vice did an episode about a couple of China's ghost cities earlier this year.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

I was worried that they weren't going to give as much time to the HoverVan. I was thinking they were going to try to slip in another little segment as well. Glad to be wrong, that episode was fantastic.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Next week looks pretty solid Jeremy and James test different crossover SUVs and their caravan towing capabilities • Richard is in Italy testing two Lamborghinis • James is on the track testing a modern recreation of the classic Porsche 911

Can't imagine James testing something besides the Singer 911
SIARPC is Steven Tyler, hoping they talk about his Venom GT a bit

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Episode was really good. They need to start tacking on the long segments at the end like that. When they segment them throughout the show it really ruins the flow of things.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/top-gear-series-21-preview-gallery-pictures-2014-1-24

quote:

Retro hot hatches

Because the Top Gear presenters are middle-aged, they have very fond memories of the Eighties and, in particular, what they believe was the ‘golden age’ of hot hatchbacks. With this in mind, the producers decided to set the silly old fools a challenge. “You three go out and buy an old hot hatch each,” they said, “then meet up for some challenges where we, white-coated swines that 
we are, will attempt to prove you’re talking out of your increasingly arthritic arses…”

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

a primate posted:

I wish they wouldn't ham it up with clearly scripted explosions so much. What happened to good old-fashioned careless driving to damage their vehicles?

Bumping into James' car, no matter how scripted or repetitive will never not be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

a primate posted:

Also, parking so that the other person has to climb into the passenger seat to exit is a favourite of mine.

Sometimes me and a guy from work will take that a step further and make our co-worker with a Dodge Stealth R/T go through the back to get in, I'll block him in on the driver's side and the other guy gets in real close with his RHD Subaru WRX