Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Was waiting for the new Top Gear thread. Looking forward to the India special as well. Seeing as it's the most dangerous place to drive in the world I think it'll be pretty interesting.

Edit: What has to be posted in every Top Gear thread.

pt.1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgABbHPdwH4
pt.2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0i0RXMvzMs&feature=related

djdanno13 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I love Top Gear and I love Stewart Lee.

Although I find Stewart Lee having more grating irritating times with me than Clarkson.

Also, if you can't laugh about why someone hates the show you love, or why linking video of such in a thread dedicated to said show is funny, then you don't have a good sense of humor.

My favorite and first episode I ever got to watch and made me fall in love was the first amphibious car challenge.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

reddeathdrinker posted:

It's car-themed entertainment - if you don't like it/him/whatever, go watch something else...

Anyway, Clarkson evolved from this...

Holy shite that's the youngest Clarkson I've ever seen. I especially like how you timed it when we meet a young inspired Marina owner. I wonder if this Clarkson was one of the first of the breed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMuO-8S_0Wg

wolrah posted:

post silly GIFs and speculation about challenges.

I wonder if the boys are brave enough to attempt a ghost pepper eating challenge.

djdanno13 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 21, 2011

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

I enjoyed it for what it was, albeit I also watched it with a healthy glass of scotch that is now mostly gone. Favorite parts were the expression on Richard's face after they read the letter from the PM, and the yarbra tins still in the back of the Mini (though I didn't like the deliberate shot of them at the end, that was a bit too American comedy there). The other specials were better though, you could almost tell that they had a discussion that this episode didn't have enough anguish and decided they needed a camping trip, but even that was cut short. The biggest difference between this special and the others was the lack of personal tragedy and the teams triumph at the end over insurmountable odds. The hardest challenge they faced was the deadly roads of India, and that was only for a very short segment of the show. Even still, I did get some laughs, and even though I know the Mini segment was completely staged, I still laughed at Richards reaction and the other two's tormenting him afterward.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Seriously though, not one loving car breakdown besides the time a truck ran into Jeremy. Even after they ruined their cars they still ran fine. All of the previous specials where equal parts enjoying the beautiful scenery and trying to get their vehicle of choice moving again while sprinkling in some cocking about at night after a few pints which may have been scripted at first but then the locals catch on or things progress that make them feel spontaneous. This one involved probably the least amount of driving, a 30 second bit of one car being broken, and too much scripted cocking about.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Djarum posted:

I wonder if they were under some sort of rules about not driving in certain areas or something. For a Top Gear Special there was very little driving. I think that is what hurt it the most was a utter lack of them in the cars.

Well, India really is the most dangerous place to drive in the world, so I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC didn't want to risk killing one of their top stars.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Jut posted:

Sigh as more and more of there 'lies' are revealed, the more I lose interest in their stunts. Unfortunately they seem to play the same tricks over and over to the point where it's bloody obvious they are just following a play book. The first time I noticed the obviously staged thing was the caravan fire several years ago.

Uh maybe it's just me, but the obviously staged caravan fire was supposed to be obviously staged. It was their "gently caress you caravans" moment. Just like how Clarkson's homemade motor home fell off a cliff.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

InitialDave posted:

One thing I am surprised about : We haven't heard a peep from anyone about them venting AC refrigerant to atmosphere. You'd have thought at least someone would have got on their high horse about it.

I'm pretty sure that was a scripted event too. I mean, it had to be balls hot in India and you're going to just toddle along with your window down if your AC works? I doubt it.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

I got a laugh when they introduced Hammond as the pace car driver to... a couple claps. I keep forgetting that outside of our little community on the internet and their 6 min segment on 60 minutes almost two years ago they are virtually unknown over here.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

I didn't like it better than the UK version, but this latest episode of TGUSA is loads better than any episode from the last two seasons (except the alaska special).

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Americans are stupid and would probably complain wondering how the star got from the track to the studio.

I don't get why they have to start the BsSc segment with the star at the track and doing the lap first? It just all seems so oddly timed. Especially since they then mention about their time with stig.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Speaking of the Morgan. I don't know if my mind was blown more when Hammond did donuts with it, or May actually doing donuts.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Sprat Sandwich posted:

He has done them before, hasn't he?

I only remember him trying to do a burnout (elevenses) with a Cadillac STS and almost crashing in the ditch.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

I only got to see the last 15min with the ugh Donald Trump scene. My dad hasn't watched the show except for that short part and said they all look like geeks.

I ended up watching some season 2 last night that I missed before though and thoroughly enjoyed the $500 cheap car challenge.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

In the back of my head I was almost expecting May to pull the car back into the garage, place it on stands and put it into reverse.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Yeah, it's definitely clunky, even down to having a shot of the car driving into the studio. It just begs the question, why?

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

Oh. I wonder what episode I was confusing it with.

Probably the one where they bought bargain supercars that were not a porsche.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

I'm in agreement with others that the cars were better than the UK versions and really if they had rewrote the script and just had Adam make it there late or something instead of getting "upset" and driving the wrong way it would have been better. That was the only big :rolleyes: moment for me. Also that Dancing with the Stars judge had the best lines. You could tell they weren't scripted.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Just saw this link posted on facebook by topgear.com I would totally want a new MG.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/mg-le50-first-drive-2012-07-13

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

I think it's more, 2 weeks prep (as in story boards, script writing, script rehearsal, blocking, site selection, car selection, getting cars) , 5 days of shooting, then 2 weeks of editing. It's not 2 weeks to prepare (finish) the whole segment, it's 4 weeks 5 days.

djdanno13 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 26, 2012

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

He looked more happy when he was driving the Peel. Although, he was driving it through an office complex at the time.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Loved it! I was laughing out loud several times. Especially when Hammond said bottoms up. Also loved hearing the music from kelly's heroes.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Like what? That all the locals weren't wearing hard hats or vests while they stood in the river? I doubt there was a hard hat within 100 miles let alone trying to convince them to wear one.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Don't tell anyone but I think the crane might have been staged. Particularly since they focused on the beam itself and don't show the truck itself. Plus Jezzas pretty relaxed expression after just tipping over.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

For that we'll need our team racing driver..... some say that if he hollers you should let him go. ......

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

I would legally change my name to Jennifer Clarkson if it meant I got to be on top gear.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

That's the thing, some are acting as if Jeremy was walking around the office terrorizing people during the day. Sounds more like this was an after hours drinking party that got out of hand ended in a fracas. I mean they were in Newcastle, one can imagine many brown ales were probably downed. Is there any other reason to be in Newcastle?

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

tijag posted:

Yeah, if I grab dinner with my boss and he has a few too many drinks it's totally ok for him to punch me in the face....

:eyeroll:

If the reverse happened the producer would absolutely have been fired as a result, so I don't understand why people are acting as though this should just be no big deal and the media is making a big deal out of it.

Well, it seems clear that the media is making a big deal about it, but I don't feel it's unjustified. I don't see the rationale where it's OK for JC to just punch someone because 'aw shucks he had a few too many beers'. I mean like, OK so he has no responsibility for his actions after that?

I love the show, and I'll be sad to see it go, but I sorta feel like this is over the line and maybe it's time for a new cast, ala Doctor Who. Get a new triumvirate in, and strike out in a new direction.

You can be irreverent without punching people.

Who said it was okay? I think the point being made is that there is a huge gap between a violent boss at some company meeting throwing the table over because he didn't get his mocha latte and a bunch of blokes after work piss drunk. In the latter it's usually acceptable that the other guy hits him back or everybody steps in to break it up and they walk it off and apologize the next day. Is it right it happened? No. Is it worth someone getting fired for? Well I would say there's plenty of blue collar and military types that would disagree.

But I think what it really boils down to is that none of us were there and don't know what the hell happened except a one second account of an event. Did oisin call JC's mother a whore? Or was he simply walking by as JC was on a drunken rampage murdering any passerby he saw? We have no idea.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

To be honest he is just sarcastic in this context and he is only try to auction the lap.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

CornHolio posted:

If Top Gear isn't cancelled and it isn't his 'last lap around the track,' that 100,000 ride is suddenly kind of a false advertisement, is it not?

Not really as you could just say it's the last time he would take a guest around the track with him. Plus you know, you're talking about a charity ball auction, who sues over a charity ball?

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Meh, it's all scripted anyways.

:suicide:

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Cole posted:

Clarkson wasn't doing an office job. Do you rage against the machine anytime an NFL,NBA,MLB,NHL,MLS,NCAA, "reality show" player doesn't get kicked out of the league for a fight?

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

Your argument is essentially that Clarkson should've been given a free pass to be an rear end in a top hat because he brings in money. Which Ayn Rand book is your favorite?

Please quote people who said he should get a free pass in the past 3 pages? I think thought it was pretty clear that no one thinks he wasn't a cock, just that maybe canceling a popular very profitable show might not have been the best resolution.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Since the show as we know it is dead, this thread should be our memoriam where we post our favorite .gifs or our first time seeing the show, or just reminisce.

I remember the first time I saw Top Gear. I was in Iraq for 8 months when we finally got AFN and they broadcast the amphibious car special. I remember laughing my rear end off and it really made me smile at a time when there wasn't much smiling going on. Thanks top gear.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

djdanno13 posted:

Since the show as we know it is dead, this thread should be our memoriam where we post our favorite .gifs or our first time seeing the show, or just reminisce.

I remember the first time I saw Top Gear. I was in Iraq for 8 months when we finally got AFN and they broadcast the amphibious car special. I remember laughing my rear end off and it really made me smile at a time when there wasn't much smiling going on. Thanks top gear.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Scherloch posted:

Where I live, if my boss spent 20 minutes hurling insults at me and threatening to have me fired for what was at most a minor gently caress-up, he would get canned. If an NCO or an officer had done it in the military, they'd get canned too.

Truly, the words of a man who has been in the military. Thank you for your service.

MrChips posted:

Top Gear is over, there's only one logical thing to do now.

Mr. Calculus, TEAR DOWN THIS THREAD

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

Unless you personally fired Jeremy Clarkson, nobody cares what you think about workplace abuse.

This goes for people on both sides of the argument.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

nmfree posted:

Have you ever wanted a car that scored a '6'? Have you ever wanted to drive across Germany in a deathtrap? Well, here's your chance!

Lol! Wasn't that car so worn out and held together by baling wire that it didn't technically pass inspection for German licensing?

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Oh Jesus stop bitching about Lee. The bit about may being the alpha male in the group was hilarious. If you can't laugh at someone tearing down your idols then you probably can't take someone making fun of you which probably makes you a bit of a douche. I'm not saying you have to enjoy the act but to get upset about it is as stupid as, well Lee is about top gear, which is part of the charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

Hey his family ran the salable glass jar industry for many years, tycooning is literally in his blood.

I thought that was his mom's family. Weren't his father's ancestors basically just a long line of farmers?