Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Artist's impression of a Top Gear special in the Australian outback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A ute challenge consisting of picking up girls on the beach, Bathurst racing, outback crossing and farm work.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

In this picture you see an anecdote forming which is going to trump the poo poo out of your puny Western "horrible camping with parents" story at some party in the future.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It was weird how an entire service sector was dedicated to shipping lunch. If you want to make some money, start selling tupperware and microwaves in India.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Aurune posted:

I don't know. Having a piping hot fresh curry delivered from home sounds way better than one reheated in a microwave.

Is it really piping hot after an hour in a tin? I'm guessing it's more about the time it takes to cook and the hours the man gets up and goes to work.

edit: Clarkson didn't say the "kill the strikers" on QI (but the BBC moved the QI episode because of it), it was on a morning chat show promoting one of his books for Christmas. That or the Top Gear special. And it wasn't that bad, it was a better joke than the Mexican bullshit. It does seem quite hypocritical for him to rail against public sector when the license payer has given him the grand lifestyle he has.

Ola fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 15, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The UK is a society shaped by class differences in many ways so their television shows have elements of it. It's a source for great jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpvOBxZdOYg

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Can we get over the idea of TV being scripted already? There are no television shows that spend time and money lugging lights, cameras, props and people to remote locations only to ask the presenters to shoot the poo poo and riff a bit for the camera.

Sure, maybe some of its best moments were perfect ad lib. But if they realized they had such a perfect moment but a poor shot of it, they are professional enough to shoot it again without you being able to tell.

For a challenge, the storyboard would obviously say "the three guys meet up at place X and each person says their car is good and the two others are crap". Knowing that, everyone directly involved would be trying to come up with good lines for that scene. Would it be written down word for word? Or maybe just the punchline? Or maybe it was changed two or three times while shooting? Who knows, that can change, same thing with movies.

It is a television show that can base most of its success on the concept of three weird old men being funny together. How much of it is an illusion and how much is real doesn't matter, because first and foremost it is a television show.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Top Gear 2013: James May, Brian Johnson and Oz Clarke. Less "phwoaar, ten new supercars out this week", more drinking. Jeremy Clarkson gets a Stig-ish role, he's wheeled out every now and then to be rude to eco-cars and foreigners.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Internet Meme posted:

Can someone explain to me why the Ferrari FF's AWD system is so much better than any other rear-biased AWD system (like ATTESA)? Because I'm not getting why people be jizzing over it.

It weighs less overall and allows the engine to sit lower in the chassis. I don't think people are jizzing over it...both Clarkson and the posters in this thread feel it's a bit of a miss.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You Am I posted:

Considering its design, I would hate to see the bills if it breaks

I have edited your post in order to make it applicable to every Ferrari ever made.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I think they only review the latest fast cars is so they can put impressive times on the board.

Of course they don't. Magnetic strips with sharpie marking isn't their primary motivation. Top Gear comes from the school of mainstream automotive magazine journalism and one of the big selling points of those magazines is going oooh and aaah at the latest Ferroni or Lamborati (lighter! stiffer! more power! and it's rubbish! by which I mean brilliant!).

Top Gear has changed the face of automotive journalism, but they're not pushing it. The ooohs and aaahs at the new Peroni Zamba makes up a lot of their viewers. I agree that it's a bit boring, but not terribly irrelevant. That's where car tech is being pushed, that's where good and bad ideas are tried out.

The most boring car I can think of is a new hot hatch. FUUUUCK it makes me sleepy to even type that. Impractical, yet slow, despite being expensive. But I realize a lot of people like them and I don't mind watching Top Gear review one.

So the cars that interest the car bores - grown men who cheer brands like sports teams and argue about which utterly unaffordable vehicle can go around a certain German track the quickest - brings a lot of ratings to the show which helps justify their budget and sell their franchise.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"Car vs thing that isn't car" is never the Stig is it? Usually Hammond, sometimes May, sometimes guest driver.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I had seen various Guardian commentators ridiculing Alex James for this cheese and didn't know anything about him other than he was in that band. He came across as a really cool guy and between the Cessna touring and the Mexico birthday party, I'll be checking out his book.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I've eaten Alex James' cheese, it's nice. He's still a bit of a bellend though. Why?

That's why. Also the festival he helped run, and where that photo was taken, screwed a local primary school out of £7000.

Haha when I've seen that picture I thought it was Brian Cox who had his back to the camera. Also, bloody hell, fair enough that Nick Clegg is smaller than Cameron but carrying him around like that is very patronizing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Evanauto posted:

My question is, if the Crossbow was so soft and forgiving, why were there so many pictures of Crossbows wrapped around a tree?

You're answering your own question. It's soft and forgiving to trees, not drivers. Hence the delicate wrap and a fairly intact tree.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ugly, expensive, slow. Seems it shares two traits with the KTM motorcycles. :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One problem with doing a Lemons bit is that it's already a feast of cocking about. It isn't them being idiots in a group of serious adenoid-y car bores, as with the Alfa Romeo concourse for instance or to some extent the BMW in the endurance race.

One of the funniest things about Lemons is the punishments, Grill of Damocles etc. When stuff like that happens, the Lemons hosts will be the stars of the show, the ones that come up with crazy ideas and say funny things and that might not work with how the producers want to do Top Gear. It would definitely be cool though and I hope they do it some time. Perhaps more suited for TG USA?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

pik_d posted:

They've been coming to America for years now, and I think Clarkson popped down to Australia for his low-budget review of the BMW X6.

I think they have filmed in Australia multiple times, but they haven't done a proper trek across it. In the X6 review he made a budget joke in that he spent all of the episode's money traveling all over to check minor details, but they actually shot those bits while filming something else. Or he was there for other projects, I might remember this wrong. But I do remember they kept continuity on the clothes, but not the exact car.

Antarctica, now that's a challenge.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

4:50

"When you really get going at this kind of speed, you expect to feel detached from the action like you're playing a video game depressing buttons, but it - incredibly - it feels mechanical, it feels analogue, it feels human.

If feels fan-bleeding-tastic!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXFSVoVqhYw

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mods, are there not rules in place to prevent posters using twitter screenshots as touchés when they themselves have favorited them?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ariza posted:

Can you explain this sentence to me?

No. It's one of those "if you get it you get it" things.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ooops.

quote:

In a statement, Wilman said: "When we used the word "slope" in the recent Top Gear Burma special it was a light-hearted wordplayIn a statement, Wilman said: "When we used the word "slope" in the recent Top Gear Burma special it was a light-hearted wordplay joke referencing both the build quality of the bridge and the local Asian man who was crossing it.

"We were not aware at the time, and it has subsequently been brought to our attention, that the word 'slope' is considered by some to be offensive and although it might not be widely recognised in the UK, we appreciate that it can be considered offensive to some here and overseas, for example in Australia and the USA.

He added: "If we had known that at the time we would not have broadcast the word in this context and regret any offence caused."

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/apr/23/top-gear-regrets-offensive-remark-jeremy-clarkson

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There is some degree of politics or celebrity power dynamics at play here. You don't see teams of lawyers gathered to strike at Italian football fans, even if they make monkey noises and throw bananas at black players. But if a celebrity is looking vulnerable, the wolves circle. If you become rich, globally famous and have a runny mouth, you're going to have some powerful enemies. They way they fraternize and backstab each other makes politics/media/showbiz seem like today's version of Machiavelli's princes and clergy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Powershift posted:

You're allowed to leave whenever you want, and there's nothing on the other side you would have to travel through it to get to.

I was expecting Anthony Hopkins and Rob Bryden Tom Jones.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Daric posted:

Was the special on today in the UK?

No, it airs tomorrow, 8:30. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04ww8hj

Part 2 on Sunday at 8.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Can we get a ruling from the powers that be on what counts as :filez: or not with regards to this programme?

Hypothetical crimes:

1. Downloading an episode via torrent/FTP/other means of transporting files
2. Tricking the BBC's country detector via a proxy network connection
3. Tricking the BBC's country detector via a browser proxy plugin
4. Accepting the wait until the episode available in your country, but whiling away that time with burglary
5. Watching mirror flipped youtube uploads until they get zappped
6. Wait for someone to buy the DVD, kill them, steal the DVD.

All are valid options for the morally corrupt, but are any one of them allowed to be mentioned in this forum? Speaking on behalf of my solicitor, who would normally speak on behalf of me but who will not let me engage in account sharing, I should stress that I condone nor admit participation to any of these activities, murder and burglary are terrible crimes.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm very glad that SA's mods have the integrity to clearly state which ways of copyright infringement are unacceptable in this arena and which are not. I disagree with all of them, they are terrible. Downloading by file is obviously theft, ZenMate for Chrome is also affected by some opinions, punching people in the face and then nipping off with their wallets is obviously unacceptable., You're a horrible rotter if you even look for such opportunities.. Hope everything goes well, pip pip, cheerio. Wait for it to appear before you, instead of prodding for it. Don't lean this way or that to make it appear before you, it will in the end anyway.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I really enjoyed this special. I'm kind of disappointed in the ending though. Clarkson said they'd have an even better ending than the one they planned. Unless that includes the scary exodus, I don't see it. They sat on some steps, stood up, ran away and then freeze frame. I was hoping for something better. I guess they can't really do much to discuss the situation since that would just further throw gas on the fire. There's really nothing they could do that wouldn't just further enrage Argentinians.

It's the ending from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=12090#.VKFDWF4D8w

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Numerology is always the idiot's favorite conspiracy. And the two other cars obviously have nothing to do with anything. But massive mental gymnastics?

1982 Falklands
H982 FKL

Consider also that Clarkson is the most jingoistic person on UK television whose face is not pixelated and he loves spotting suggestive detail, such as a man filling car from behind appears to be having sex with it. (Or Peniston Oil etc etc)

It is a bit too good to be random. The plate is real and has been on the car since it was new, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if they came across the car with the plate first, then designed the challenge to fit it. Only noticed the problem once they had arrived? Then had UK plates saying BE11 END printed in South America or whatever? No way José de San Martín.

Still...649 to 258? Evita, your boys took one hell of a beating...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Logikv9 posted:

Clarkson's plate is the most convincingly insulting one. I actually didn't believe it wasn't staged until I saw somebody's screenshot of the car registration and how it has belonged to that car since its construction. But once you take offense to one thing, everything else just becomes insulting just by being there.

The plates could have read ABC123 and somebody would have commented on how it's a snide commentary on Argentinian education.

This is true. And I believe if that plate didn't say what it did, the Patagonia special would have ended with some boring car football match (which Argentina would win on penalties anyway). But as I said, if the plate didn't say what it did, they wouldn't have come up with it. It was a troll gone wrong.

Chiwie posted:

If they are going to get that butthurt over a number plate then maybe they shouldn't of started the war.

They shouldn't have, no. And if they do it again the loss will be worse.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

My favorite part of the Falklands war was when the Argentinians didn't realize the range of there missiles were significantly less then the British. Resulting in the British parking their ships just out of range and blasting the hell out of them.

Where did you here this? I'm afraid the Exocet missiles had pretty good range and caused a significant amount of the total causalities suffered by the British. Two ships sunk, a third damaged. What part of this is your most favorite?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CornHolio posted:

If they picked that challenge just so they could use that Porsche with that number plate, I think they would have been a lot more obvious about the insult.

Maybe they were in the script, but not in the edit. If you have the camera, you get to tell the story.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

It was second hand information. No need to go Argentinian on me.

I didn't. I was being British about it. Even if I'm not British.

CornHolio posted:

You're making an assumption there.

"Oh yeah, they were probably running around naked yelling "gently caress YOU, ARGENTINA!" but of course they'd never show that on camera!"

Unless you have something to back that up other than mere speculation, it's not even part of an argument you can have about it.

You are right, it was a total assumption. My post began with "maybe". Your post began with "if". And here we are, speculating on the internet. Just a few more posts now and the truth will come.

edit: as I seem to be the current Argie-apologist, I will end this sequence with this:

spog posted:

And no doubt the Argentine mob will be releasing some edits of their footage that don't show them as being violent, knuckle-dragging retards.

Any time now....

They were absolutely loving knuckle-draggers and they will never admit to anything but stupid "viva la patria" honor poo poo that belongs to some certain pointy-helmeted central Europeans pre-1914.

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 29, 2014

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just a PS, this, not carrying on at all...

Data Graham posted:

I'll say this, if they had intended to stir up poo poo I doubt James would have cracked off that throwaway one-liner about "I hereby claim this land in the name of Norfolk" when they got off the landing craft. They would have saved such jibes for the main event.

In front of nobody but Hammond, Clarkson and their own production crew? Many months before the program aired? Why would that be dramatic in any way?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

spog posted:

Jesus Christ, why don't you gently caress off to an uninhabited island in the South Pacific and wait for an invasion?

See, this is what an Argie would say.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

You should spend less time shitposting here and more time crying over the fact that a handful of limeys were blown up by a third world country 30 years ago.

What? Are you British? I don't understand from your jumbled words and broken logic if you are ridiculing Brits or trying to defend them somehow. I am happy to shitpost now and then, but I am not sending up anyone who died in an actual war. If you are British, please remember that a stupid "shitposting" Norwegian taught you something about your own country's military efforts today. I will happily celebrate the British efforts in the Falklands and mourn their losses in what was a just and true war - and I will not bat an eyelid at ridiculing morons who don't know what they're talking about, particularly the ones that struggle with their mother tongue at the same time. Go to school.

All right that is definitely it though, posting over.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's only the usual hour. And is that a Chilean lapel pin I see?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

T1g4h posted:

So, how did he have it going backwards in a few shots? That seems like one of those things that shouldn't be possible but he was somehow managing to do pull off these slow 360s while maintaining forward momentum.

Push a shopping trolley down an aisle, it'll do the same.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

saucepanman posted:

What did they fake during the tesla review? Honest question, not being snarky.

They pretended it ran out of power when it still had power left. Their explanation was that they wanted to illustrate what it was like to run out of power, which is utter bullshit of course. They want to be taken seriously but say "we're not meant to be taken seriously" when they get in trouble. I think I share Sean Lock's opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbno-ogK5dk

"Everyone likes Top Gear, even me, and I hate it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Best challenge in years. I could watch Hammond's patient delivery system all day.