Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Qmass posted:

sounds like the sort of poo poo that happens to normal people every day in airports and nobody gives a gently caress about. people that work in airports can be loving cunts and take power trips because you can't react without "poo poo going down". I am ignoring this story on principle.

Seems much more likely that Clarkson was the actual rear end in a top hat, as usual.

quote:

A Reutlingen police spokesman said it was "not comprehensible" to link the furore with Clarkson's inability to board a plane at Stuttgart Airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grakkus posted:

The impression I got from the American's bit was that his canned terrible southern opinions were meant to be the equivalent of the Stig's terrible music choices; just a bit of silly flavour to keep the lap video from being too dry.

Seconding this. He was intended to be a caricature of an American redneck. There was nothing spontaneous about his performance.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The whole "Grand Tour" thing seems rather pointless. They started in the US so they could spend most of the show on a video shot in Portugal. Next they were in South Africa and spent most of the show on a film shot in Jordan. I'm not getting why they need to move their tent around the world. The shows wouldn't be any different if they were all shot in the same location.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense thus far. The creative exhaustion that marked their last few Top Gear series is already starting to show.

It's OK, but not awesome, I guess.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

djdanno13 posted:

I think the most telling comparison is that after two episodes most people are still willing to watch more grand tour to see where it's going and if it'll get better. How many said that after two episodes of new new top gear?

Matt LeBlanc was a happy surprise and got me tuning in for more episodes. Evans sucked but the rest of the cast was and is pretty good.

The last few seasons of TG were pretty lame and creatively vacuous. The first couple episodes of GT have been similar. I'll probably give them one more episode and then drop it if it's not better.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

They need like a aerial view or a minimap on the track parts because to me it's always been just a series of unconnected shots and I have no idea what turns into what or anything

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-where-the-grand-tours-brand-new-test-track-is-l-1789134294

I spent some time studying it and comparing it to Clarkson's lap in the first episode to figure out just where he was and what it all looked like. It helped a bunch.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

That was pretty good.

Much better than the first two.

The stuff with Hammond in the Charger was rather overdone, but that seems to be a general trend with everything in the series. Subtlety is not on the agenda.

At least we didn't have to put up with Ricky Bobby this time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

I really liked this one too.

That Hellcat getting just 6.6 MPG was pretty crazy though.

That was probably a "dramatization" though. A Hellcat SRT is rated 13C/21H by the EPA, so Hammond was either doing lots of donuts off camera or they fudged it a bit.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I feel like the show started out wanting to be more of a season-long narrative than just a "format" show. Like, from the framing scenes in Episode 1 (and the epicness of the trailer) I thought there would be this whole story about how they're traveling the world and seeking out interesting cars and car stories, and half the show would be about their real-time travels and the poo poo they get into.

I really wasn't expecting it to be this much of a "Top Gear with the numbers filed off".

I'm generally with you in that GT could have been so much more than it actually is. What it is is OK, but disappointing. Too many parts are just teeth-gratingly bad, interspersed with very good stuff that keeps me watching (but barely).

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

I had no idea people vehemently hated the celeb bits in Top Gear. It was good when you knew who the person was, great if they were a megastar or you particularly liked them, and if not hey now you know one more person. Do you also skip the interview segments on any talk show ever?

The actual interview parts were usually pretty dull and boring - celebrity on a publicity tour to promote his/her latest project. Not any different from any other talk show. I enjoyed seeing them drive, though, as it was something different with often amusing results.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jehde posted:

This episode was better than last week's, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. Other than the brief house demolition, there was really only one film in this episode, their rather lacklustre grand tour. Throughout that whole film there was only one joke repeated ad nauseam, Hammond is annoying. No challenges, other than a race between two of them, and no taking turns pulling pranks on eachother.

:regd08: is the general theme of the show so far.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

drgitlin posted:

That's exactly my point. Technically you can get double digit efficiency, but if you only have a car like that to drive for a few days? Expect to get Hammond-level mpg.

And I was actually trying to suggest that if they didn't just make it up, Hammond had to be deliberately driving it to burn as much gas as possible just for the yuks. Which was entirely possible, but either way they were going out of their way to make the car look like it drank more gas than it actually would IRL. They never quoted actual MPG for the other two, just the optimal values at a peak moment on the highway. Those would probably get in low double figures.

That's all fine as far it goes, it's an entertainment show. It just grated on me because it was all part of the gee-haw redneck American muscle car thing they beat into the ground for the whole segment.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

InitialDave posted:

James does say when his MPG is measured from, thereby showing he means average consumption.

Besides, it doesn't matter. Assume everything on the show is subject to hyperbole or the rules of cool/funny/convenient as per TV in general.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. That's why all this dogpiling is so dumb. My very first comment on it was that it was a "dramatization".

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

You know, I rather liked the color of Clarkson's DB11. Calling it "brown" was a rather uncharitable dramatization.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

InitialDave posted:

I think we need to steer this back on the educational track.

Hands up everyone who understands you're meant to eat a nice bit of cheese with fruit cake?

Trick question. Everyone understands you're not meant to eat fruit cake. Ever.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I assume next episode will feature Clarkson doing dumb things while May and Hammond drink beer in a pub.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

hillo posted:

They should have quite the stupid celberity thing. But as someone said before it should be like "oh he loving died" "next up---

Yeah, if it's going to be a regular thing they could at least put some effort into making the deaths weird or unexpected. They're so telegraphed and obvious thus far it's not really worth much.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I know they're getting started in the new format, but something I really miss from the old show was a lot of the banter when they did the news.

I also preferred the challenges that were of the "cue the music" type, rather than just extended slapstick.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

I was hoping Moroccan challenge would have been a cheap car challenge with an NA but knew it wouldn't be :(

Yeah, there wasn't really any "challenge" or any real reason to be there. They drove some laps around an old movie set, which could have been anywhere.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I'll give them credit for playing Battleship with G-Wiz bombs. That was classic silly but entertaining stuff.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I thought it was good until I got to the end and wondered what the point was. Most of the old specials were "take this amount of money, buy a car, prove that it's better than the expensive alternative built for that situation." That or it's a comparison between using a car to get somewhere or the more traditional method. This special was just "spend lots of money to make wacky cars and then drive them across a country while spending even more money." They didn't even accomplish anything. At least when they built that bridge, they pretended to make it out of bamboo even though it ended up being a professionally constructed metal bridge with wood attached on it. Even then, it was a reference to something, in that case Bridge over the River Kwai. In this one they drive to the ending location, build a big cable car thing, send two cars over and it's done. Even the Patagonia special still ended with the Butch Cassidy thing.

Yeah, it's far too scripted at this point. It's more of a movie about three guys pretending to have fun together rather than a documentary about three guys actually having fun together.

I really wanted to like the Namibia special, but it just didn't come off as spontaneous silliness. Part 2 was particularly bad that way.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Requesting a GIF of that dong toss. Because that was impressive.

I wonder how many takes they needed for him to get it right.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

At this point, the show isn't so bad I refuse to watch it, but isn't good enough for me to care much about new episodes. I watch them when I have an hour to kill, not the moment they're released.

Watching James reassemble stuff is far more enjoyable.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Screw y'all.

New ep was goodish but dragged in places.

FCA must be paying big sponsorship bucks, with all the Chrysler, Alfa and FIAT (next week) products they're featuring. Still liked the Giulia segment, the rest of the show was rather hackneyed.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

fyodor posted:

What was that Fiat segment? "Faster" than a miata with a 0-60 of 6.8s and lower top speed? That made a huge boner!

Sorry to break it to you, but the Fiat really is the better car. I drove them both and own the Fiat.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm sure I've even seen that same stunt before on Top Gear. Jeremy wanted to get a ferry, it was obviously not gonna work, he POWERRRRRed towards the edge anyway, cut to car flying in the harbor. That ring a bell with anyone else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEf8Jas7ZqQ

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KakerMix posted:

To add to this the Vietnam special is my most favorite one.

Yeah, that and the North Pole in the Toyota Hilux.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jehde posted:

It might be one of those things where "a silent team racing driver" is a copyright of BBC's Top Gear.

And Clarkson's ego won't let him make any serious commentary about it. Hence all he can say is dumb stuff.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

Sabine is a good guest star, so I look forward to seeing her on the show again, she's just didn't fit in as one of the lead hosts.

Sabine's gift was humiliating Clarkson. With him gone, her raison d'être has faded some. I've enjoyed her bits generally, they just need to find another role for her.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

davebo posted:

Yeah the BBC has some rule where they can steal any copyright music as long as it's only for showing within the U.K. or something like that. It's nice, I loved hearing Atlas by Battles in the show, but frankly I'd rather they just edit things to the music they're eventually going to use for worldwide tv/streaming distribution . Maybe it's that I'm a video editor but I hate knowing the version I'll eventually see in the future is just carefully chosen buyout music that's shoehorned into segments they edited to the pace of some song I can't remember but was probably better.

I never really understood the point of a news segment on a show that only airs a few weeks out of the year. I didn't miss it at all.

Definitely liking this new Top Gear.

IIRC, the news segment was there to fit some BBC rule about consumer information, because they wouldn't fund a show that was just guys driving cars.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chris Harris as driving instructor still sucks.

What they did to that Giulia was criminal.

Blasting though the snow was cool.

Overall chemistry is still lacking and feels forced, but it's enjoyable.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

neckbeard posted:

I get that they wanted the Aston to come off sounding better than the Merc, but felt like cheating to use the S63 instead of the turbo V12 powered S65 AMG coupe

All of their reviews seemed really dumb this time. The VW GTI is awesome because it has a turbocharged engine and a professional driving like a maniac can pass cars driven by amateurs on the Nurburgring in it. The FIAT Spider sucks because it has a turbocharged engine and the interior looks like a Miata.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

shadow puppet of a posted:

Yeah I don't quite get how that "pass a million pounds worth of cars" was supposed to come across as anything other than them looking like both assholes and idiots.

The segment of Sabine bombing around the track was pretty cool in isolation, it just had nothing to do with anything they'd said about the GTI to that point. Everything about the car was terrible, but because Sabine could drive like a bat out of hell in it suddenly it was awesome.

It was also rather incongruous how they had praised every car in the show for having a turbo engine to that point (twin turbos in the AMG), then dinged the FIAT specifically because it had one. I don't really understand that one.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Measly Twerp posted:

They ended the road review bit with basically "it's too expensive and impractical" and then took it to a track with a lot of other expensive and impractical cars and had an absolute blast.

Maybe putting a turbo in an ugly FIAT that costs 9k more than an MX-5 made it a little hard to recommend?

It doesn't bother me that they didn't like it. Their reasons for disliking it were dumb.

Regarding price, that's the other thing that pissed me off. I also have no idea what they were comparing on price because the FIATs cost almost the same as the Miatas. They both come with different option packages, so they had to have been speccing out the Abarth with everything possible and the Miata with nothing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ApathyGifted posted:

Your profile says Tennessee, and when I tried to check the prices myself I kept getting redirected to the U.S. websites for both Mazda and Fiat. The story might be different in the UK.

I think that's the difference. The Euro spec on the Spider is only 140 HP, and FIAT charges a large premium for the Abarth version with 164 HP. In the US, the base Spider gets 160 HP and the Abarth is only a couple grand more, which mostly gets you a limited slip differential and a freer-flowing exhaust for another 4 HP.

So the story is different in the US and Europe, and seems to create a lot of confusion.

ETA: The point is that he was in the US and quoted it as $9000 more, which simply isn't true. The Euro Abarth may indeed be €9000 or £ more, I have no idea. Leblanc was mixing countries and currencies with specs that didn't match.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 20, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

wargames posted:

Fiat from what I gathered took an engine they already had in the 500 and put a turbo on it then put that into the 124. I am a strange beast but I like the way the 124 looks over the mx5, but booth are cool and the hard top mx5 is super cool. the best 124 is of course one with an ls3 from flying miata. Also doesn't the mx5 have electric steering but the 124 is plain jane hydraulic?
I own a Spider and it's fantastic. I was genuinely curious as to what they would have to say about it and was really pissed that they simply dismissed it out of hand without even considering it, while spouting a bunch of bullshit that wasn't even true.

The 1.4L Multi-air Turbo has been around for several years in the 500. There is no "turbo lag" in it, there's just lack of boost if you let the RPMs drop too low. If you want instant throttle response, stay in a lower gear to keep the revs up. The 124 also has electric assist steering. They're both too numb IMO, although FIAT worked it over to be a bit better in their version. I will refrain from a full comparative review, though.

No, it's not identical to a Miata and it's not supposed to be. They're surprisingly different cars for how much hardware they share. Harris complaining that "it clings to the road too well" was the cherry on top that they were being idiots about it.

And I'm done complaining about it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

neckbeard posted:

So there's turbo lag then.

No, "turbo lag" generally refers to the time it takes the turbo to spool up when the load changes due to inertia in the turbine. It was a significant problem with early turbo designs. It's not a problem with this one. When it's on boost, it's been measured to respond to throttle changes in less than 0.1 seconds.

No turbo engine is going to give you full power instantly if you tromp on it in 6th gear at 1500 RPM. Downshift to third and get the revs up first. Once you're on boost there's no lag at all.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Is there a weird cultural thing in Britain that made Evans seem not terrible at everything forever when they gave him the job?

He's had a good career on BBC radio. Being in front of a camera is not a strength for him, although he did OK on The One Show.

His main problem with Top Gear was trying to outdo Clarkson by being angry and shouty all the the time. If he'd just relaxed and been himself he would have been a lot better (how much better is debatable, though). It was a bad fit.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBy6XRHPODQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

wolrah posted:

Agreed, IMO the main feature was up there in the top 10% of what those three have done together and otherwise the changes to the format work. I'd be a little bit disappointed to not see some kind of racing driver hot lap return, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't.

Hammond crashing a supercar every week is going to get a bit expensive, though.