Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

OptimusMatrix posted:

Please test the Venom Gt. I just want to see it in action.

No, the less attention we give to John Hennessey the better. As long as he's still getting the spotlight, the less likely he is to do the right thing and just go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

You Am I posted:

I was hoping the flag that Hammond was going to get painted on his Mini was the Pakistani one.

I don't think you understand the mentality of India very well. Doing that would literally get them torn to pieces by an angry mob, depending on where they are.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Ak Gara posted:

I agree that it's an engineering work of art. But the speed and performance can be brought for 1/8th of the cost makes the Veyron seem expensive just for being expensive. Like a Mac.

How many miles do you think a 1000 hp Gallardo can go before it blows the gently caress up or burns to a crisp? I doubt it would be as many as a Veyron. Yes, it's possible to make that much power, but that doesn't mean it won't seriously compromise the car's usability or reliability enough that you could still daily drive it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Crustashio posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't know PAX still existed. I thought it was a massive failure, I remember seeing design drawings for old PAX equipment a couple years ago.

From an engineering perspective, PAX works. The problem lay in the fact that in order to service PAX wheels and tires, a tire shop would need to buy tens of thousands of dollars of new equipment for one specific task. Getting enough shops on board with the idea proved to be impossible.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I don't know, I was underwhelmed by this episode. Probably didn't help that I watched the latest Archer episode right before Top Gear, but it just seemed rather forced to me.

The Bentley rally was pretty awesome, though.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

SpannerX posted:

Well, yes, I do want more reviews of cars that normal people might buy. Sure, the super/sports cars are all well and good, but there is now way in hell I'll ever own a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

If you want sensible reviews of normal cars go watch MotorWeek.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Well I have to say after a decidedly mediocre first episode, the last two have been properly good, with last Sunday's being one of my favourite episodes so far.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Jut posted:

Go back and watch the cheap supercar challenge or the cheap Porsche one and you will see what I mean.

I love the cheap Porsche challenge. The part where Jeremy starts laughing in the narration when James' 944 spewed oil all over its pristine engine bay is always funny for me.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

You've got to be pretty dead inside to look at a limousine making lurid, semi-controlled drifts and think it's all so very terrible :qq:. Yeah that might not have been the best segment of Top Gear ever, but the limo had me howling with laughter.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I find it funny that Americans (or at least people I assume are Americans) are complaining about how jingoistic that British segment was.

I mean, have you watched any of your own TV or movies before? You've all become so accustomed to your own brand of chest-thumping patriotism that it just seems normal now.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

SpannerX posted:

Not an official confirmation, but This site says the 26th of this month on BBC 2. Who knows if that is correct though.

It's a week later than that, February 2nd. They film the studio segments on the Wednesday before the air date; the Applause Store (who distributes tickets for Top Gear filming) have their first date for Top Gear filming as the 29th of January.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

It was a good episode, apart from THAT ONE GUY IN THE AUDIENCE :cry:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

If that was merely "okay" in Clarkson's words, I can't wait to see next week.

My favourite line was Hammond's response to Jeremy buying "heroin"..."what, are you going to cut it with peas?"

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I just realised we had a whole page of discussion on the Burma Special and not one, NOT EVEN ONE mention of Hammond's jorts.

What the gently caress AI?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Has anyone heard any rumors for why the new series hasn't started yet?

When the World Cup/Euro tournaments are on, the BBC skips the summer season of Top Gear. Expect the first new episode sometime the end of January next year.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Viggen posted:

Wait.. he has a pilots' license, and he is afraid of heights? :what:

Not as uncommon as you think. I have a commercial pilot license and I am very afraid of heights; I can hardly even climb a ladder without getting freaked the hell out. In fact anecdotal evidence (asking around to my other pilot buddies) would indicate that a disproportionate number of pilots are afraid of heights.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know. Maybe the Castlegar airport was snowed in and they were told to head south to Trail but that also ended up getting weather delayed. All I know is they were in Trail and they had those trucks with them.

Yeah, the thing about Castlegar Airport is that if it's a day that ends in a "y", chances are pretty good the airlines are cancelling their flights. It has one of the most challenging instrument approaches of any airport in North America, and the minimums are very, very high.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

Trail doesn't even have a precision approach, and according to Wikipedia, Castlegar is actually used as an alternate for when you can't land in Trail.

Believe me, I've been on the plane when we all cheer because we can see the ground in Castlegar and we won't have to take the bus from Penticton or wherever Air Canada's alternate is, as well as the one time when we did have to bus it in from Penticton (or maybe it was Kelowna, who knows?), I'm quite familiar with the hell that is flying in and out of the West Kootenays.

Eventually, pretty much everyone in my family just said, "gently caress it, might as well just drive to Calgary rather than take the chance."

Wikipedia is wrong. Castlegar has no precision approach either and is the very last airport in the world I would use as an IFR alternate under any circumstances. At our company, standard procedure going into either Trail or Castlegar is to use Kelowna as an alternate.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

When Hammond was reviewing the new MX5, was he driving on a 1 way road? He was in a RHD car but kept driving in the right lane.

They were in Spain.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Top Gear is over, there's only one logical thing to do now.

Mr. Calculus, TEAR DOWN THIS THREAD

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, he's great, I'd happily see him on board. Or replacing Mike Brewer in anything he's involved in.

Same for Chris Barrie, too. He tends to end up playing characters who are kind of knobs, but he's a pretty cool guy. In fact, having the Red Dwarf guys do Top Gear as a group would work rather well...

Well Craig Charles did take over from Jeremy Clarkson presenting Robot Wars, so it isn't like there isn't precedent for that.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

New Top Gear is bad. I mean a fitting metaphor was the Venice challenge....Old Top Gear would have beat the train.

Also I am going to go against the current and say that Sabine is a terrible presenter. Sure she is a hugely talented driver, but she is so loving stereotypically German on screen it's almost painful to watch.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

InitialDave posted:

The Untied Kingdom

Nice.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Matt LeBlanc seriously needs to stop pointing at the camera.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe she's better in German. She's not a very good presenter in English.

I've seen enough D-Motor (her old German show) to tell you she isn't much better in her native language either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

It was real good, mostly because it had a lot less of the usual tired pratfalls that usually accompany a TG/TGT road trip.