Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I've been to the UK a few times and it's a lovely place with great people but holy poo poo they have a) undergone a ton of changes in the last few decades and b) turned into what appears to be a nation of Nancy Graces. I don't get it.

I mean, of course Clarkson is racist in that old-man way. This is not news. Getting angry at him for being old-man racist is though, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It's not an excuse. It's just that it's not surprising when old people are racist. Because they are from an era that was [more] racist. I'm not waving it away by saying he's old (though he's not that old), I'm just saying that if you didn't expect someone from his generation to be - on average - more racist than someone born in the 1990s, you're missing the big picture of how society changes.

This is all beside the point though, because it's pretty obvious he didn't try to be racist and just let something that he was clearly raised with slip out. People were literally taught that nursery rhyme as babies and young children, so of course it sticks around - that's just the era he was raised in.

I didn't even know that that line was originally that word. I was raised with "catch a tiger by the toe" but hell it kinda makes sense now that I think about it. In fact, I hadn't thought about that nursery rhyme since I was about 10 until this thing blew up, and yet I still remember it word for word - just like Clarkson.

Isn't there a BBC radio DJ that just got fired for playing a classic song from like 60+ years ago with the same word in it? The UK can be so loving reactionary over poo poo like that, it's crazy. One of the stories I read about it mentioned that clarkson might as well have "given two fingers" to the African community, and I couldn't help but laugh because that statement in and of itself just shows how different words or gestures can be depending on where in the world you are. Giving the American "peace" sign means "gently caress you" in the UK, which is as good an illustration as any of why people that do or say things that might be considered offensive in their region/social circle/era should not be labeled as hateful simply for what they said or gestured. It's about the intent, which I kinda assumed most adults could understand but apparently that's asking too much of a lot of people.

So in conclusion: excuse? No. Explanation? Yes. He slipped up, he made sure it didn't air, what more do people want from him?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Iraq/Afghanistan, a la UK top gear? Though that's pretty huge budget for the history channel.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Data Graham posted:

May wouldn't even deign to talk to someone as excessively American as Rutledge.

Honestly they would hit it off quite splendidly I imagine. Game recognize gameGeek recognize geek.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

tobu posted:

Never seen it but I did see when they crashed a AH1 Cobra helicopter during a race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EsoWpTO2qg

I gotta say I love pretty much everything topgear does but whenever they bust out the "racing a helicopter" schtick it rubs me the wrong way for whatever reason.

So I kinda cheered a little bit when that cobra hit the dirt.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
A top gear special could have given them some advertisement for tourism, too. Isn't their economy in the shitter right now? Seems like they are pulling a Greece here...

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You know, TG is the most watched TV show in the world. That means that in most parts of the world darn near everyone that watches TV regularly probably already knows their schtick. OK, they will make some jokes about our country and its people - that is a given. The question is, how do you act while the show is in your neck of the woods? Do you act like an ignorant asswipe, as in the Alabama episode? Or do you act as gracious as possible? Because however you act, you are an ambassador for your country on the world's most watched TV show.

I mean, it IS a ski town, right? So presumably some non-zero amount of their income in that town comes from tourism.... and they just antagonized a sizable chunk of the world's wealthy skiing population.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I actually like Tanner but they really let him play up the "I'm a racecar driver" thing a little too much.

Rutledge is my favorite though. Love his understated southern charm, and he really is the coolest of the three.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 8, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Well that was a nice TG US episode, but they filled up their own vehicles in New Jersey... way to ruin the fourth wall there. I was hoping for some biting UK-style commentary about not being allowed to fill up your own drat car.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You mean you don't love the scenic teck smelter?

But in all seriousness that's pretty cool, the roads up there will make for some sweet TG action. Wonder if the episode will be snow related, or just them ripping up the roads? Bad time of year for driving up there...

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Is 31 "open" (if you can pass it) in the winter? That could be a sweet snow challenge.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
drat, a BC episode would be sweet.

In raptor-related news, I saw one of these yesterday in Tucson.

Glad those dudes get to hoon about on ARE TAX DOLLARS! Talk about a dream job, between that and the dirt bikes they ride along the border.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
That's pretty interesting. I wonder if they have satnav and premium sound.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
A coworker recently paid 12k for a 150k mile 2000 WRX with the normal rust holes above the rear wheel wells big enough to stick most of your fist through. And then he bragged to me about the "great deal" he got.

WTF is with those wheel well rust holes, anyway? Pretty much every subaru from 1994 onwards rusts right there, even if the rest of the body is straight.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

8ender posted:

I think its something to do with the way the rear wheels throw water and snow. I had a friend cut and weld new sheet metal in that spot, coat with POR15, prime, two stage paint, and it was back within two years.

That was actually something I was considering doing - good to know it won't really help at all, I think I'll just keep POR-15ing it every year instead.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
If I ever have the money I'd totally buy a Porsche over any other super high end sports car. But it'd only be a 911 variant of some kind or a 918.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

gently caress it, if Clarkson's really gone, why not shoot for the moon and pitch the job to Idris Elba? He's a big loud petrolhead with plenty of screen presence, and they only make ~8 episodes a year so it wouldn't exactly decimate his film schedule.

Plus having a (relatively - he'd be the youngest of the three) young black guy doing the Clarkson shtick would hopefully keep the hemp enthusiasts at bay for a year or two. Replace the Stig with Sabine Schmitz at the same time and they'd probably go until May retires.

Hey now - us hemp enthusiasts love top gear!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
A new top gear on HBO would be sweet. You could call it "Overdrive" if that name isn't already taken.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
If it moves to HBO, you could appeal to the wider American audience and just call it "Drive".

It's pretty funny (though I am devastated Top Gear is done before I got to see the SUV challenge) that the UK is freaking out about this so much. I mean yeah I get it, he makes racist comments, but compared to the poo poo that "legitimate" newscasters say and do on live tv in the US (think Fox News), this is just a serious non-issue.

Remember, Cheney shot somebody and then the guy he shot apologized. I mean sure, that's a politician, and it's hosed up, but still.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 20, 2015

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Featuring the former hosts of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," it's TLC's hot new show "Queer Ear for the Straight-Cut Gear."

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Nill posted:

If the bit about Clarkson 'getting in front of the problem' only after half the staff were seriously uncomfortable with the situation and were about to report him then I doubt you'd be able to convince the whole crew to quit their BBC jobs en masse and follow Clarkson to an uncertain future.

That would be an amazing trainwreck since you know Jay would insist on riding with him.

The whole crew = May, Hammond and Clarkson. They've already said they won't do the studio sessions without him, and their contracts are all up. I'm pretty certain they would all follow him wherever he goes.

And yeah that would be amazing with Jay Leno's cars, they got along well on the show and I believe they are friends in real life.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah what I don't get is his spokesperson is like "Oisin loves his job and would never want to leave it, he says it is a great honor to be working on Top Gear" when it's painfully obvious that this is in fact going to kill the show.

I am not saying that clarkson should get a pass if he really did hit the dude but come on, coming out the gate with a statement like that is pretty silly.

I do also wonder why they can't just fix this in the courts. Settle with a nice fat sum, they both keep their job, or maybe even neither keeps their job, but at least they show the last few episodes.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

lt_kennedy posted:

I'd love to see him do a Toy Stories esque mega project with Rube Goldberg Machines/Mouse Trap.

It's funny because on tumblr there's also a large contingency of female fans who are devastated - quite a few of them had gone to tapping or participated in James May's Toy Stories projects or gotten into it through bonding with dads/partners. One girl I know she's just a teenager who managed to brave up and take a long bus trip to meet them when they touched down.... in Argentina.

I got into it cuz I was so suicidal I was looking for anything to take my mind off it, all day I'd think about throwing myself under a car's wheels. For years it had been my go to idelation method - and one day I crossed a clip on youtube I couldn't stop laughing, I hadn't actually laughed that hard is years I'd forgotten how good it felt. Then I went and watched more and more - and soon, I realized I didn't want to throw myself under traffic because the thought of being snuffed out by something like a brown Nissan or an ugly Holden, I started to just sit on my back step and car watch looking for nice cars. Not to off myself with, just to look at it for the pleasure of looking at it from a design nerd angle.

I hadn't laughed so hard in years and even though it's all over, well I'm here reading these poo poo posts to tell about it :gbsmith:

gently caress yeah. May is the best.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

mrking posted:

I personally hope nobody offers him a job right away and Top Gear continues as usual with no mention of it and just replace him. Hammond and May could carry the show through scripted challenges and absurd races with a new presenter. Yea Clarkson's been doing it forever but plenty of people can talk about expensive cars and drop pianos on old cars.

Not going to happen as they have stated that they are one unit.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Rupert Murdoch as well, the guy is one tantrum away from turning back into an infant.

And also he controls a large fraction of the world's media. So unfortunately acting like that appears to be an effective way of doing business (and my own personal experience in business backs this up.)

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Holy cow dude I was not even talking about Jeremy at all, just responding to the comment about Murdoch.

You seriously need to take a chill pill. Go outside or something. It's for your own health.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I wouldn't say I don't like him, just that he's not as charming as May.

I think I'd much rather hang out with Hammond or May than Clarkson.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

T1g4h posted:

The fact that Goons despise Rutledge when he is undoubtedly the gooniest motherfucker on TV never ceases to amuse me :allears:

Rut owns. Not only did he pick a drat donk for the landbarge challenge, but the dude has some pretty sweet cars of his own.

You're drat right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPGNmVqF0c4

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
That was a pretty cool episode but really those hellcats just don't interest me. The viper, though... yes please.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

What the hell kind of opinion is this? :frogout:

I mean I'd take the Viper over the barges every time too but they're basically the classic muscle cars that are actually fast and good. A great choice if I had 1.2 kids or whatever to drive around.

Dodge. The viper is handbuilt, but the others are just dodges. Fast dodges with lots of expensive stuff to break and terrible sightlines.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

That cat is like "What the gently caress?"

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Honestly I find Chris Harris super loving dry and boring. I'm not sure why.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah that's one of the all-time coolest top gear moments so the BBC can gently caress riiiiight off if they have issues with it.

Goddamned whiny rear end super-PC dingleberries.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I've heard that XJs are deadly cheap over there because spare parts are super hard to find and must be ordered at huge markups from the US. Thus you get really nice XJs with some minor issues that are sold for peanuts even compared to what they would cost you here (where they are already cheap as poo poo.)

Also holy poo poo the "elephant in the room" was pretty loving funny!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
IDK what you guys are on about but they made it very clear in the last season that one of the bin Ladens had all three cars and that he had offered to lend them to the boys for the head to head. It is exceedingly likely that that is where these cars came from and in my opinion makes the whole matchup that much cooler.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
If you want to talk about bad taste, I think Argentina has shown themselves to be just as ridiculous as Top Gear - except one is a humorous car show and one is, you know, an actual country.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Pay for medical costs? It's the UK, they have single payer healthcare.

There's also a separate system of private doctors which most people with money probably utilize.

The NHS is often seen as healthcare for poors.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
One of my younger coworkers saw me on sa and referred to me as an internet grandpa. So yeah.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Maybe if he wasn't such a whiny oval office people wouldn't find his actions and behavior so goddamnd grating? Serves that fucker right. Let's get a new top gear with Leblanc, Harris and Sabine! Preferably where in future seasons they can refer to a certain red haired Ferrari driving malcontent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
They should just restrict Evans to the star in a reasonably priced car segment and let the others do the rest of the show.