Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It's hilarious what the British will call a mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

SIARPC is definitely worse than it was before, especially having one guest plug another's latest book/movie/album. Before at least Clarkson was funny. Evans is just annoying.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Rolls are only about letting the plebs know you got "gently caress you" kind of money.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

You know, I rather liked the color of Clarkson's DB11. Calling it "brown" was a rather uncharitable dramatization.

They called the Kia brown, too. I don't really understand it, either.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

InitialDave posted:

There was an old episode where he had the opportunity to drive a GT40, but really it was just to demonstrate his head stickign several inches above the roofline while attempting to close the door, and Noel Edmonds did the actual segment (because he owns one).

There's a GT40, where the roof is modified slightly so the tall driver could fit inside (Dan Gurney, as mentioned). Clarkson definitely drove this. I cannot find the video on YouTube. It may have been for one of his DVDs separate from Top Gear.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I am guessing they are going to make better use of the locations in the second series. Wasn't the whole grand tour and traveling studio theme thought up sometime after most of the filming had been completed?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

The segment of Sabine bombing around the track was pretty cool in isolation, it just had nothing to do with anything they'd said about the GTI to that point. Everything about the car was terrible, but because Sabine could drive like a bat out of hell in it suddenly it was awesome.

It was also rather incongruous how they had praised every car in the show for having a turbo engine to that point (twin turbos in the AMG), then dinged the FIAT specifically because it had one. I don't really understand that one.

I think they criticized the Fiat specifically because the Miata has a small enough engine already. Downsizing from 6.2L to 5L and adding turbos seems reasonable, while going from 2L to 1.4L seems pointless. That's just inference on my part, maybe I'm wrong.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jehde posted:

If we were to pigeonhole them into the old trio, Joey would be the Jeremy, Chris would be the James, and Reid would be Richard.

Yeah definitely agree with this. Rory feels a little forced though, between his "every man" persona and enthusiasm for electric. Nothing wrong with electric cars necessarily but the Model X is so uninteresting, and casually mentioning the Rimac seemed pretty pointless. They could have easily done a film about it. It seems like it's more there to reenforce his persona and also for BBC to tick their electric/enviro boxes.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don't think I've ever noticed or cared about the music in a Top Gear episode and am surprised how big of a deal you all make of it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Did you watch it on BBC or what?

For series 19 and onward, probably. When they did the Interceptors film or the Enzo review, then the music plays into the humor, but otherwise, kind of drawing a blank. I am thinking of when they go to a workshop and "cue the music." I can't think of a single time where that was ever remarkable, or even any other time they would have played music.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I can't stand people who endlessly bitch about something not being the same. Top Gear posted a video on facebook about the new season and it's full of people saying "I won't watch because of Joey" or "This isn't the same, I will never watch this." Then loving unfollow Top Gear on facebook then. Why do people feel the need to endlessly poo poo on everything?

It really is OK to negative feedback. This is a discussion forum after all, unless you want the thread to read like someone’s eBay feedback.

Cacafuego posted:

Aside from the fact that none of that stuff Jeremy tried would work, it was beyond unbelievable too because JetBlue doesn’t have any classes, there’s only economy. At least pick one of the other airlines that has a domestic first class

I don’t even understand how this is good advertising for JetBlue. The take away is JetBlue has no security in place whatsoever.

I don’t understand why they feel the need to constantly “explain” things for Americans. I wonder how much of that is from Amazon producers versus their own insecurity. They really seem to stress that they are “still British.”

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah, but I don’t really see anyone here doing that. I wasn’t necessarily responding directly to you, just the general idea brought up by cornholio. Anyway as has been mentioned before, I think the problem is they ran out of ideas about 3 seasons ago in old new top gear, so we may just be expecting too much for this to be any better. I think the first season of Joey Top Gear (after Evans was gone) was better than TGT for the most part.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

pigdog posted:

Richard's first car was amazing. And enormous. I had no idea Jaguar made anything noteworthy other than F-type back then.

:420: everyday

XK120? I'm pretty sure they featured one in Top Gear way back. Mark 2s are also cool.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

wolrah posted:

The primary purpose of the parking brake is to hold the vehicle in place when parked, thus the name. The idea of an "emergency brake" hasn't really been a meaningful thing since dual-circuit brake systems became standard (seems to be the '60s-70s depending on manufacturer and region). Total brake failure pretty much can't happen on anything less than half a century old.

If you've ever tried to stop a vehicle from a meaningful speed with the handbrake you know how futile that idea is anyways. Most people would either get no braking force or put themselves in to a spin.

Electric parking brakes offer three major advantages over mechanical parking brakes:

1. They're automatically engaged and disengaged, so they don't get ignored in to failure on pretty much every single car with an automatic transmission.
2. The controls can be placed anywhere with no concern about routing a physical cable.
3. They're self-adjusting.

The only real downside is exactly as demonstrated, they're not friendly to hooning.

Hill starts and parallel parking (on a hill) too. I get that a car with an electronic parking brake would likely have some sort of hill-start assist, but those have timers, which could cause problems in traffic. The HSA on my car is pretty lovely, but my car is also not nice, so that might be part of it. My previous car was a manual, and parking without the handbrake was impossible.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It looks like it doesn't come out until tomorrow. It's not even posted on iTunes, which I thought would have an option to buy the "season pass" before the show actually started. Is there somewhere else you can watch it?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The first episode was pretty meh (I am struggling to remember what happened, and I watched it only 2 days ago), but the second episode was a decent enough. A lot of it still feels forced and scripted, especially LeBlanc. It feels super awkward whenever they congratulate each other and shake hands.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Humphreys posted:

Probably the first show I enjoyed watching Matt in something (wasn't a fan of Friends/Joey)

Episodes is all right.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

woops, wrong thread!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

California rules

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Bajaha posted:

The price of that 'red flag' at the beginning is astounding though, it just seems really underwhelming for the cost.

The cost is the point with something like that, though, right? If you charge enough for something, someone will buy it. Vertu is a good example.

nmfree posted:

I suspect that one decently strong earthquake will reduce most of if to rubble.

The elevated motorway at the one hour mark definitely filled me with anxiety. I'm not an engineer, but it looked pretty dicey. Like, it doesn't seem like it could withstand any lateral load.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah that episode was great. I thought it might be a little trite to do caravanning yet again but I was gladly mistaken.

RE: Top Gear, is this streamable somewhere? I think last season the iTunes releases were delayed a week, but I don’t even see it posted.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

What was going on with the drivetrain causing the hop?

I’m not an engineer, but I’d say not enough weight over the front axel combined with four-wheel drive and the knobby tires.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is this on BBC America or something? Or I guess you guys could be British/not American. I stopped looking on iTunes because it never showed up. I see the previous series is there now, but the release dates are 2 months past what Wikipedia shows.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Dodoman posted:

I'm not sure I watched the same episode as y'all, I thought it was pretty terrible and not just because of the Corbyn :airquote: "joke" :airquote:.

I thought the Corbyn joke was somewhat funny in light of the election results. I’m not British so I have some distance from the slow-motion train wreck that is Brexit/the Tories.

The episode was OK. It was a little repetitive and anticlimactic. I mostly want to rewatch the Vietnam special. Curious to see what the others are like.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

How/where do people watch this in the US without BBC America? I have used iTunes in the past, but for some they seem to be about 6 months behind on releasing these episodes. They are just about it finish with season 28 (episode 6 should be released tonight). I tried BritBox but it didn't have Top Gear, which I thought was very odd.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Because that's where the US airings are right now. Season 28 Episode 6 airs tonight on BBC America. Who knows when season 29 will come, but it's not going to be legally viewable to anyone in the US until BBC America airs it.

:negative:

I don't really understand why they would delay the broadcast over here by so much. I guess I'll have to do something else, then.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That was a good one. Probably the best Grand Tour episode that I can think of. I guessed completely wrong who would have which cars: I assumed Hammond in the Caterham, May in the Bentley, and Clarkson in the RS. Rally Bentley is rad. If I were a rich man I would totally have a modern rally 911.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Bob Saget was 65 and died

:wth:

Yeah the first thing I thought seeing that crash was holy poo poo why don’t they have helmets.

Hammond trying to get onto the “lift” had me lollin irl