Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

melodicwaffle posted:

Hi thread, I've been un-bookmarked for a bit just because I'm being hyper-cautious about KH3 stuff now (I'm staying away from trailers because I want to be surprised, and I dunno who's using spoiler tags and who's not). So, sorry if this is retreading anything that's been discussed recently!

But anyway I have a friend who's been streaming the whole series via the PS4 remasters in the lead-up to KH3; he hasn't played any of them since KH1's initial release. So it's been quite a ride going through many years of gameplay changes, plot layers, and so on in the span of a couple months. The reactions and such from him and others have made me notice how desensitized I've become to all the weird quirks about these games.

It also got me thinking about the handheld titles in particular, specifically how everyone seems to have different thoughts on what makes them good or bad, what works and what doesn't, and how they stack up against each other overall. So I posted a couple polls on twitter and thought I'd share them here, too.

So... thoughts on the best of the bunch and which one's the worst?

No we won’t do your homework for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Raxivace posted:

Flowmotion even feels kind of fun to do for me now.

Flowmotion would be a lot better if it didn’t smear Vaseline across the entire screen. I can sort of imagine how that was a cool effect that gave the impression of fast movement in stereoscopic 3D, but on the PS4 it just gives me a headache.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
So there's a guy and his brother who's gotten KH3 and have been posting gameplay videos of it on twitter and reddit. He hasn't posted any story spoilers yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they come out soon. Y'all been warned, stay off the rest of the internet if you don't want to be spoiled

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I loving love how absurd this series is and how seriously it takes itself.

Mickey: Musketeers don’t ever run from danger!
Donald: Then it’s time for me to get a new job!

*Donald rapidly waddles off while dramatic sad violin music plays*

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dross posted:

I loving love how absurd this series is and how seriously it takes itself.

Mickey: Musketeers don’t ever run from danger!
Donald: Then it’s time for me to get a new job!

*Donald rapidly waddles off while dramatic sad violin music plays*
I'm like 80% certain that is straight-up how it happens in the movie.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm like 80% certain that is straight-up how it happens in the movie.

Music and all?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Dross posted:

Music and all?

at least per IMDB, this is how it goes:

Mickey Mouse: Lie? Well, lie or no lie. Musketeers don't run from danger, and as long as we wear these uniforms, neither do we?

Donald Duck: You said it!

[Rips uniform off

Donald Duck: It's every duck for himself!

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Has anyone else noted that Wakka's knees have the recusants Sigil?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I've been thinking about it more and more, and it really feels like Nomura changed his mind over time and wanted Riku to be the main character. Riku, as far as we know, has done something nobody else in the KH universe has done, accepting, harnessing, and using darkness while still remaining on and being able to use the powers of light. Terra came closest, but he eventually fell and Xehanort possessed him and hasn't managed to break free since, whereas Riku was able to break free thanks to Sora kicking SoD's rear end and Mickey helping him and has stayed free.

I feel like in most other works the main character who accepts and uses both sides is usually the primary protagonist after going through his character arc. Plus Riku is the one who is actually a keyblade master, which is a bunch of bullshit cus I don't see Riku saving the universe like three times.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gologle posted:

I don't see Riku saving the universe like three times.

he actually saved it over thirty times by now but it all happened off screen

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gologle posted:

I've been thinking about it more and more, and it really feels like Nomura changed his mind over time and wanted Riku to be the main character. Riku, as far as we know, has done something nobody else in the KH universe has done, accepting, harnessing, and using darkness while still remaining on and being able to use the powers of light. Terra came closest, but he eventually fell and Xehanort possessed him and hasn't managed to break free since, whereas Riku was able to break free thanks to Sora kicking SoD's rear end and Mickey helping him and has stayed free.

I feel like in most other works the main character who accepts and uses both sides is usually the primary protagonist after going through his character arc. Plus Riku is the one who is actually a keyblade master, which is a bunch of bullshit cus I don't see Riku saving the universe like three times.

Riku is the rightful owner of Sora's Keyblade, which is given to the five-year-old Riku by Terra in BBS. His reliance on the power of Darkness caused the Keyblade to reject Riku in favor of Sora.

So, yeah, Riku was originally intended to be the Hero. And in a way, he is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gologle posted:

Yeah even the few times Sora actually uses Darkness it seems to basically gimp him, between becoming a mere Shadow in KH1 and in KH2 Anti-Form has a ton of drawbacks (As much as the narrative of that game even acknowledges Anti-Form existing). Riku doesn't really have those problems.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also I finished KH3D again and oh boy, even though I kind of like Flowmotion now the rest of that game's combat is still pretty whatever.

I'm playing 0.2 again now and am trying to get No Damage on Phantom Aqua 3. I keep getting pretty close but keep screwing up and taking a hit. Not really sure how to deal with the Blizzaga spam either- right now I just kind of hope she doesn't use it and goes for the triple Spellweaver thing instead.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 1, 2019

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Riku being made a Keyblade Master when Sora isn't is 100% echoing Aqua being made one when Terra wasn't. It happened so Sora could react less stupidly than Terra did in a similar situation.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kantesu posted:

Riku being made a Keyblade Master when Sora isn't is 100% echoing Aqua being made one when Terra wasn't. It happened so Sora could react less stupidly than Terra did in a similar situation.

That is a big thing there

Terra, he wanted to be a Keyblade Master more than anything.

Sora doesn't give a hot poo poo if he's a Keyblade Master or not. That doesn't matter. Protecting his friends and stopping the bad guys is what's important

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sora will be given a seat on the Keyblade Council but will not be elevated to the position of Master.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I mean it's not like being a Keyblade Master really seems to mean anything. Like Eraqus was a Master, but lost to Terra. Aqua is a Master but she's as useless as Ventus and Terra. Sora's NOT a Master, but he's probably the strongest Keyblade wielder currently alive.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aqua and Terra's Mark of Mastery was a bullshit test anyway.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So was Sora and Riku's. Since it got interrupted by several Xehanorts and all.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

I mean it's not like being a Keyblade Master really seems to mean anything. Like Eraqus was a Master, but lost to Terra. Aqua is a Master but she's as useless as Ventus and Terra. Sora's NOT a Master, but he's probably the strongest Keyblade wielder currently alive.

I mean, minus having lost his powers for the Xth time

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's part of why he's the strongest

Fucker keeps tossing his entire powerset away and STILL wrecks everyone

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kantesu posted:

let us contemplate the thermodynamic denseness of somebody who ends up being "the stupid one" when compared to sora

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hey, hasn't stopped him from being literally the only competent protagonist in the series.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Jokes on the people who replied because I know X is the Kingdom Hearts power number

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Aqua and Terra's Mark of Mastery was a bullshit test anyway.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So was Sora and Riku's. Since it got interrupted by several Xehanorts and all.
Master of Masters = MoM
+ X = MoMX
= Mark of Mastery EXam

Clearly the Mark of Mastery Exam is some bullshit meaningless concept that the Master of Masters invented and passed down. The actual purpose is to just be prime time for Xehanort, the holder of his Gazing Eye, to prank other keyblade wielders.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheLoneStar posted:

Hey, hasn't stopped him from being literally the only competent protagonist in the series.

Riku is competent when he is playable and Aqua does alright once BBS hits its final act.

Hard to compare to Sora though. That guy just has his priorities straight. He doesn't sweat the small stuff and is out there helping people and beating up bad guys, it's the right mindset to have.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Riku is competent when he is playable and Aqua does alright once BBS hits its final act.

Hard to compare to Sora though. That guy just has his priorities straight. He doesn't sweat the small stuff and is out there helping people and beating up bad guys, it's the right mindset to have.
I can't ever ignore that Riku and Mickey spent an entire year dicking about and failing take out literally one single Organization member while Sora can clear out half a dozen of them in an afternoon. As for Aqua, well...she's the only one Master Xehanort didn't have to manipulate, she just wandered into his trap all by herself.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Riku and Aqua actually have tragic flaws. Riku struggled to overcome his negative emotions and Aqua was self sacrificing to a fault. Sora just has a pure hearted love of beating the poo poo out of people with a glorified metal pipe. His only negative is being untroubled by complicating factors.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 1, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

Riku and Aqua actually have tragic flaws. Riku struggled to overcome his negative emotions and Aqua was self sacrificing to a fault. Sora just has a pure hearted love of beating the poo poo out of people with a glorified metal pipe. His only negative is being untroubled by complicating factors.

Hey man, that's Sora's greatest strength!

And if we're talking about self-sacrificing, Sora just straight up kills himself to save someone. He was luckier than Aqua though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Sora isn't above rebuilding himself and I respect the hell out of it.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

There's something to be said for the moment in Chain of Memories when Sora discovers his memories of Namine are false and he's lost his real memories, and he kicks Marluxia's butt to save Namine anyway.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Also I finished KH3D again and oh boy, even though I kind of like Flowmotion now the rest of that game's combat is still pretty whatever.

I'm playing 0.2 again now and am trying to get No Damage on Phantom Aqua 3. I keep getting pretty close but keep screwing up and taking a hit. Not really sure how to deal with the Blizzaga spam either- right now I just kind of hope she doesn't use it and goes for the triple Spellweaver thing instead.

Thundaga can interrupt the boss if you cast as soon as she's in the air starting up Blizzaga. It's a tight window but possible. Alternatively, exploit Shotlock invincibility.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

chumbler posted:

The final battle trailer seems to suggest that Sora is in a position in KH3 where he'll be without his friends. Let's see how he copes doing everything solo and having his friends taken away from him, because you would think Sora would really struggle coping with that in a way that Riku would definitely not

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

JesusSinfulHands posted:

The final battle trailer seems to suggest that Sora is in a position in KH3 where he'll be without his friends. Let's see how he copes doing everything solo and having his friends taken away from him, because you would think Sora would really struggle coping with that in a way that Riku would definitely not

He'll be fine. His entire philosophy is that a good offense is the best defense. Kill everything and they can't hurt your friends.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Shoren posted:

He'll be fine. His entire philosophy is that a good offense is the best defense. Kill everything and they can't hurt your friends.

Kill 'em all, and let the Light sort them out.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Xigbar: The only power you've got is the stuff other people keep giving you! You're worthless otherwise!
Sora: YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT MY FRIENDS ARE MY POWER.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
God it must suck so badly to be a wizard or Mickey or basically any of the cast and see that not only does every plan hang on to this utterly dim-witted murder hobo, but that over the last two years this murder hobo has systematically wrecked house and done more damage than an entire army of Jedi-wizards have done over potentially hundreds of years.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can't wait for Master Xeh to start having a meltdown when Sora is still resolved to murder the poo poo out of him even after having his spirit broken.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

TheLoneStar posted:

Like Eraqus was a Master, but lost to Terra.

I agree with your point, but all Terra did was distract Eraqus so Xehanort could backstab him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Thanks to everybody who posted in this thread over the past seven years. Now that KHIII is coming out, I made a new one!!!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878550