Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Senerio posted:

To unlock that story you need all the Xehanort reports.
What you need to do is go back to Terra's Mirage Arena and kill the Iron Imprisoner II. Then go and beat the final boss again.

Oh, was that it? I forgot, as it's been an eternity since I played the bloody game.

I'm kind of excited for KH3D, after watching the secret ending from the last game, but I'm not gonna buy a 3DS for it. I guess I'll have to bum my friend's for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This series has the dumbest loving plots. The best way to describe it is "extremely internally consistent" and even that's a stretch with all the retcons.

I love the gameplay though. Chain of Memories is my favorite of the ones I've played (1, CoM, 3). I liked outfitting my deck with all kinds of cards and fancy moves and stuff.

Reive
May 21, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

This series has the dumbest loving plots. The best way to describe it is "extremely internally consistent" and even that's a stretch with all the retcons.

I've been wondering how far ahead they planned the story.
I mean sure they set up future games with the secret endings, but do they really already have that story planned or do they just toss in something like that and then expand upon what it actually is later?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Reive posted:

I mean sure they set up future games with the secret endings, but do they really already have that story planned or do they just toss in something like that and then expand upon what it actually is later?

To give you an idea of how far ahead they've planned it, (spoilers for KH2 and 358/2 Days and KH1's secret ending) there's a drawing by namine of Xion in KH2 and the ending boss fight is literally a playable version of the secret ending from KH1

So I'd say the plot has been planned out just far enough ahead to matter, but not enough that they write themselves into a corner.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I never play on Proud cause I like doing the sidequests and stuff, but can I get a quick list of exactly what I need to do to get Final story and then the secret cutscenes on BBS? I haven't played the game in months and if I'm gonna pick it up again I don't want to have to beat all the mega bosses cause I won't have a goddamn clue how to play the game any more beyond "press X to slap".

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

FirstAidKite posted:

To give you an idea of how far ahead they've planned it, (spoilers for KH2 and 358/2 Days and KH1's secret ending) there's a drawing by namine of Xion in KH2 and the ending boss fight is literally a playable version of the secret ending from KH1

So I'd say the plot has been planned out just far enough ahead to matter, but not enough that they write themselves into a corner.

Didn't Nomura say they made the secret endings first, without any context as to what they were, and then wrote the story around it? I know he definitely said that about the KH2 ending at least.

Reive
May 21, 2009

The Masked Boy fight is a bitch and a half on Proud, maybe I'm just doing something wrong, at least it's not punishing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Reive posted:

The Masked Boy fight is a bitch and a half on Proud, maybe I'm just doing something wrong, at least it's not punishing.

It just is. First you'll have to learn to avoid his combo attack, then look for the sparse openings. But this applies to like half of Terra's bosses on Proud. Just you wait till you get to the final boss.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah I played proud and did the typically recommended Terra->Ven->Aqua progression and I felt the difficulty of the game was nothing after Terra's finale. The other 2 finales were kind of disappointing by comparison.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Reive posted:

Pretty sure they didn't. I'm willing to bet it's only planned one game in advance, thus the secret movies making sense to tie to the next game, but on the whole it's sort of a mess.

Momomo posted:

Didn't Nomura say they made the secret endings first, without any context as to what they were, and then wrote the story around it? I know he definitely said that about the KH2 ending at least.

Hahah that explains the awful awful writing. Make it up as we go along!

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

LemonLimeTime posted:

Hahah that explains the awful awful writing. Make it up as we go along!

To be fair (And I actually posted about this in the PSP thread a few months back), I liked the twist of just what Xehanort wanted Terra for at the end. As someone else said, I should have recognized that hairstyle sooner.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I don't know how to feel about them retconning TWEWY into the KH continuum. On one hand, TWEWY owns and deserves a sequel and is my absolute favorite DS game bar none, so I'm ecstatic to see that SE hasn't forgotten about it. On the other hand, that game's story was already drat near incomprehensible, and though I haven't really kept up to date with KH (I stopped after CoM), I can't even imagine the clusterfuck that would result from them trying to explain that game within the frame of another game with an already established and convoluted as gently caress plot.

By the way, if you've played CoM or TWEWY but not the other, you should. The games were both developed by Jupiter, and if you've played both, you'll immediately recognize the core gameplay shared between the two. TWEWY is much better in my opinion, but that doesn't mean that CoM isn't good.

Jupiter also apparently developed the two Pokemon Pinball games, which both own. I love Jupiter.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I doubt they'll make a serious attempt at continuing TWEWY plot. Aren't all the pre-established disney and square characters considered alternate reality versions?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
don't really see what the big deal is, twewy is just kingdom hearts: good version

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Reive posted:

Yeah but at least then I'm using cool abilities to kill a million things with and not just my standard attack, which was most of KH2.

Also the little board game you can use to upgrade and gain new abilities is addicting.

I wonder how di/similar the battles system for 3D will be, that's supposed to become the precursor to Versus 13 in battle right?

Command Board is pretty fun, yeah.

You should probably play Terra's story first, but it doesn't really matter. The game will be kinda tough at first at any difficulty, but once you figure out the ability and command systems you will become a whirlwind of destruction. Just make sure you don't rush through the game, and take some time to look up how to make the best abilities asap.

EDIT:

Momomo posted:

He did that for Another Side, Another Story, and when it got popular he added Deep Dive with more stuff and planned out CoM and KHII, and then he planned everything else right after 2 iirc, although if there really is a drawing of Xion in KHII that's crazy. Find me a clip plz

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 25, 2011

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Behonkiss posted:

To be fair (And I actually posted about this in the PSP thread a few months back), I liked the twist of just what Xehanort wanted Terra for at the end. As someone else said, I should have recognized that hairstyle sooner.

I did also like how The Land of Departure became Castle Oblivion, but when it comes to the whole Sora/Roxas/Ventus/Vanitas and Ansem/Xehanort/Xemnas clusterfuck, it's just like, unnecessarily complicated.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

darealkooky posted:

don't really see what the big deal is, twewy is just kingdom hearts: good version

I agree completely, but it was still extremely convoluted on its own. Seeing the characters all there and apparently having story-important dialogue makes me believe they're gonna be important characters in the game, and how the gently caress are you gonna explain why TWEWY characters are there?

Also not to spoil TWEWY for anyone who hasn't played it (excellent game, you should), but there's a part at like 2:40ish? that makes it look like Joshua shoots Sora, so it looks like playing the Reapers' Game in KH is an important part of the story.

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 26, 2011

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Philip Rivers posted:

I agree completely, but it was still extremely convoluted on its own. Seeing the characters all there and apparently having story-important dialogue makes me believe they're gonna be important characters in the game, and how the gently caress are you gonna explain why TWEWY characters are there?

Their world got taken over by heartless, and since they've got strong hearts, they were brought to Traverse Town? The TWEWY world being in the KH universe isn't really that unfitting.

On another note, what the hell happened to Sora's mother? She gets a voiced line, so she obviously existed, but after that one scene she's never mentioned again. Did she die?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Momomo posted:

Their world got taken over by heartless, and since they've got strong hearts, they were brought to Traverse Town? The TWEWY world being in the KH universe isn't really that unfitting.

On another note, what the hell happened to Sora's mother? She gets a voiced line, so she obviously existed, but after that one scene she's never mentioned again. Did she die?

the entire island was destroyed, and then once it was put together Kairi ended up back on it, so I assume she told his mom he was ok? Then again everyone forgot about Sora for almost a whole year :v:

Reive
May 21, 2009

Man, I really hate the bullshit of Final Mix releases, it's pretty drat unfair to the fans, at least there are translation patches available for 2 and BBS.

The weirdest change I've read is that all the Unversed in BBS are recolored purple instead of blue, what's even up with that?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Reive posted:

Man, I really hate the bullshit of Final Mix releases, it's pretty drat unfair to the fans, at least there are translation patches available for 2 and BBS.

The weirdest change I've read is that all the Unversed in BBS are recolored purple instead of blue, what's even up with that?

I think the most annoying one, was when they mentioned BBS final mix, on the same day the US version came out. That's bullshit.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Like everyone else I didn't play Kingdom Hearts: Recoded so I missed this secret ending which is supposedly the prelude to this Dream Drop Distance poo poo. Basically Sora and Riku must become legit Keyblade masters. Slight spoilers if you didn't play Birth by Sleep, but nothing that would ruin the game for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ynCYkJc10I

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Like everyone else I didn't play Kingdom Hearts: Recoded so I missed this secret ending which is supposedly the prelude to this Dream Drop Distance poo poo. Basically Sora and Riku must become legit Keyblade masters. Slight spoilers if you didn't play Birth by Sleep, but nothing that would ruin the game for you:

I thought it was in the OP that they must take the Mark Of Mastery exam, just like Aqua and Terra had to do in Birth By Sleep.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Haquer posted:

I thought it was in the OP that they must take the Mark Of Mastery exam, just like Aqua and Terra had to do in Birth By Sleep.

yeah, but the first half of the video contains a bunch of spoilers. Mark of Mastery Exam is the short version.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Woah, when did the secret endings start making sense instead of being 10 guys in cloaks all saying cryptic BS?

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think the most annoying one, was when they mentioned BBS final mix, on the same day the US version came out. That's bullshit.

For what it's worth the three biggest additions to the BBS Final Mix are three new boss battles in the Mirage Arena.(Monstro, Xehanort in armor and Eraqus in armor) As compared to like, the fuckload of stuff KH2 Final Mix got. (which I'm still partially sour over) Also if it bugs you that much, PSP games are region free.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

A new trailer from the Nintendo Direct conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zuE7ZHzdgQ

A little bit of new footage, nothing too exciting. Annoying Gargoyle friends from Hunchback confirmed, though!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Momomo posted:

Indded he did say it several times, and the first was in relation to the KH1 secret vid. They just make cool sequences and add random sentences, then the writer tries to fit was many sentences and things as he can in the next game, so most of the things that seem foreshadowed really are improvising on present elements. The ur-example is the KH moon. The writer described Kingdom hearts as a sort of "dream moon" in his KH2 draft, and then someone else realized the heart-shaped moon on the KH cover art was a perfect fit. I suspect if any Xion-like drawing exists in KH2 it's the same kind of process.

It's also why the normal game/final mix secret video pairs aren't consistent with each other. Note for example the three keys taken by the knights in the KH2 secret video, which are gone in the KH2FM+ video: when the second was made they had a clear idea of what BBS was gonna be, while the normal version's video was all improvisation.

Chev fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 27, 2011

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I absolutely LOVE Disney, so even though these games have ridiculous stories I don't mind cause I get to go to all these awesome Disney worlds. Going into the 100 Acre Woods just filled me with such :3:

That being said I hate how much I've missed out on because I haven't had a chance to play the DS and gba games, and don't own a psp or 3DS. I just want KH3 already :(

I'm hoping for a Tangled world at some point.

Edit: Billy Zane was awesome as Ansem. The way he delivers the line "Every light must fade. Every heart return to DARKNESS!" is so good

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 27, 2011

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Edit: Billy Zane was awesome as Ansem. The way he delivers the line "Every light must fade. Every heart return to DARKNESS!" is so good

Which Ansem? Although judging by that line it's KH1

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

A new trailer from the Nintendo Direct conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zuE7ZHzdgQ

A little bit of new footage, nothing too exciting. Annoying Gargoyle friends from Hunchback confirmed, though!

I was excited upon seeing the word Gargoyle, but then I read further.

I want kill Heartless with Goliath. :(

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Amppelix posted:

Billy Zane played Ansem/Xehanort's Heartless in KH1 and never again. Richard Epcot's decent, but he just can't fill Zane's shoes. Shame.

"Darkness conquers ALL WORLDS!"

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Billy Zane played Ansem/Xehanort's Heartless in KH1 and never again. Richard Epcot's decent, but he just can't fill Zane's shoes. Shame.

"Darkness conquers ALL WORLDS!"

Richard Epcar, not Epcot. You're letting that Disney vibe influence your recollection of actor's names.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Amppelix posted:

I played through KH2 without playing the Chain of Memories game, so by the time I got into the clusterfuck of there being like, Ansem from the first game, and he wasn't the real Ansem, and the real Ansem was this other guy, and so on, I pretty much just gave up on trying to understand the plot (The guy voiced by Christopher Lee was the 'real' OG Ansem, and the Billy Zane Ansem was like his assistant that took over his digs or something, right?).

The first game was pretty straightforward, plot wise. These things are consuming worlds, you got a key to stop them, go to town, and learn a thing or two about friendship while talking to David Boreanz. All later entries left me kind of scratching my head because I wasn't really paying close enough attention, I guess. Stop eating ice cream and get back to Tron you assholes! (and why the Little Mermaid became a rhythm music level in #2, I'll never understand).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I noticed something when going back to level a bit in BBSFM: The Unversed symbol looks almost identical to the Dream Eater/Nightmare symbols (and yes, those two are slightly different)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, Vanitas was in one of the trailers...

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's a face with an open mouth, actually (eater, gettit? Hohoho). Dream version's kinda like the scream painting while the nightmare version has fangs. I think the resemblance with the unversed symbol just comes from the heart shape that's recurring in the monster symbols.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hmm I suppose you're right. Although seeing them together is like looking at a rorschach test

Reive
May 21, 2009

drat you guys for telling me to play proud, gently caress proud, gently caress Vanitas, gently caress!

Ugh.

What's the recommended level/abilities/weapon for this rear end in a top hat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Reive posted:

drat you guys for telling me to play proud, gently caress proud, gently caress Vanitas, gently caress!

Ugh.

What's the recommended level/abilities/weapon for this rear end in a top hat?

Vanitas is horribly weak to Tornado, although I don't think you have that yet. Did you pick up the Tornado Strike from Enchanted Dominion? It's in a chest you can only get to if you do a Sliding Dash (or Fire Dash) in the air, in the Dungeon room. That helps. Mostly just dodge roll a lot.

According to the OFFICIAL GUIDE, use Zero Gravity and Magnet commands, and of course Shotlocks, the most ridiculously overpowered thing ever.

PS if you think Proud is bad, on Critical your HP is halved :v: