Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Chev posted:

It's been a while, but isn't it relatvely easy to off Vanitas with mines?
It's pretty easy, yeah, and mines are also the safest way to beat one of the post-game bosses. But there's a few ways to rip Vanitas apart with relative ease, so mines aren't especially notable.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

That's the exact boss I was thinking of. I never managed to get the timing right with the dash, so I ended up deciding Shotlocks were the best way to avoid him.
There's a good chance that the game wants you to use Shotlocks, considering that the game gives you Terra's gimped damage-dealing charge move right before the Zack fight, which has less invincibility frames and takes longer, so that Zack's first move will basically always hit you if you equip it.

And to be fair to the series, you can probably skip the DS games for now. Not so much Dream Drop Distance, apparently...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Picked up Kingdom Hearts Recoded, anything I should know before I start?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Not really. It's very straightforward.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Alteisen posted:

Nope. Any hidden tricks in the game should become apparent pretty quickly.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alteisen posted:

Just that you can go back to earlier worlds and find new System Sectors after beating them. And that this is a great idea.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any super duper hidden bosses around?

And thanks Bobman.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alteisen posted:

Is there any super duper hidden bosses around?

And thanks Bobman.

yeah there's one in-game at the end of a super hard System Sector, and one that you can only fight if you get 100 levels of the tag mode system sector and get all the way to the bottom. The latter isn't worth it at all.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Beat Xehanort at the end of Terra's story on accident after 2 hours of fighting him, and even more by accident I did it while I was recording it because I was going to show a friend how ridiculously hard this gets on Proud, it almost looks like I know what I'm doing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYXMM31SCbs

Going to start Aqua's story later, really love this game, I just wish it had the exploration/platforming from the first.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Reive posted:

Beat Xehanort at the end of Terra's story on accident after 2 hours of fighting him, and even more by accident I did it while I was recording it because I was going to show a friend how ridiculously hard this gets on Proud, it almost looks like I know what I'm doing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYXMM31SCbs

Going to start Aqua's story later, really love this game, I just wish it had the exploration/platforming from the first.

Is this game the reason Xenmas looks the way he does?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Is this game the reason Xenmas looks the way he does?

Seems that way, Xehanort is an old man earlier in the game and he steals Terra's body right before this battle, the hair, skin, and eye color changes to match Xehanort's.
Terra is just armor at that point, he doesn't make any sound/battle shouts in that battle which is a nice touch.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Reive your HP is extremely low, do you not have the three HP Plus skills? Did you do all the arena matches? I think you at least get one or two HP boosts that way.

Also I FINALLY leveled up Aqua to 75 to beat No Heart and uhh... Well I just can't seem to do it. Is there a good strategy anyone knows? What commands to use? I wanted to use seeker mines because they own but he just dashes over them. Most of my attacks barely do any damage, and he can avoid most hits from shotlocks.

EDIT: also Reive Recovery Block is your friend. Or whatever it's called, cure block? Heal block? Whatever.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Reive your HP is extremely low, do you not have the three HP Plus skills? Did you do all the arena matches? I think you at least get one or two HP boosts that way.

Also I FINALLY leveled up Aqua to 75 to beat No Heart and uhh... Well I just can't seem to do it. Is there a good strategy anyone knows? What commands to use? I wanted to use seeker mines because they own but he just dashes over them. Most of my attacks barely do any damage, and he can avoid most hits from shotlocks.

EDIT: also Reive Recovery Block is your friend. Or whatever it's called, cure block? Heal block? Whatever.

I didn't know the HP bonuses stacked... well I know what I'm doing for Aqua!
Also I never got around to the arena as Terra, I tried going there as Ven but the whole multiplayer interface threw me off, I wasn't sure how to 'unlock' more stages so I quit, I guess you just replay that first set of fights until your arena level increases?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is this of any help?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Reive posted:

Also I never got around to the arena as Terra,

You need to beat Iron Imprisoner II with Terra to get a Xehanort report for Final Story, so you have to beat MX again. Good luck. (You need to get the report and beat the game again)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Reive posted:

I didn't know the HP bonuses stacked... well I know what I'm doing for Aqua!
Also I never got around to the arena as Terra, I tried going there as Ven but the whole multiplayer interface threw me off, I wasn't sure how to 'unlock' more stages so I quit, I guess you just replay that first set of fights until your arena level increases?

you get an Arena level for each match you complete, each board you win a game of Command Board on, winning on each track in Rumble Racing (ugh) and also for reaching certain numbers of total medals earned. As your level increases, you can access more matches. It's great for leveling up and also you get some good bonuses.

Also all abilities stack if you can get more than one of them, otherwise why would you be able to get more than one of them? HP Plus is good, although the most important abilities are definitely Leaf Bracer, Once More, and Second Chance. Also if you can get EXP Walker early you start gaining levels insanely fast.

EDIT:

Senerio posted:

You need to beat Iron Imprisoner II with Terra to get a Xehanort report for Final Story, so you have to beat MX again. Good luck. (You need to get the report and beat the game again)

actually you can beat the game as anyone after collecting all the reports and it will prompt you for the Final Chapter.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

actually you can beat the game as anyone after collecting all the reports and it will prompt you for the Final Chapter.

Did not know that one. I thought if you missed that one you had to beat Xehanort again for it to "count."

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
You increase your arena level for doing the stuff listed in the reports, ie. beat each battle once, win on each command board, get x number of medals in total, finish each Rumble Racing track with the given number of laps in x amount of time (beat them in Disney Town to unlock more).

If you want a good way to get medals, get 3 Megaflares, 1 Zero Graviga, and a Group Cure from the Arena. Get your arena level to 8 so you can do Risky Riches, cast Megaflare to finish off rounds 1 and 2 right away, cast it again to kill off the first group, move closer to the center and cast Graviga, follow with Group Cure and check that all the enemies are caught in it. Now just use the Command Style finisher you'll already have available at this point to finish off round 3.

The above can still fail if one of the Floods in the first round decides to be an rear end in a top hat and turn into a puddle before the Megaflare connects: if that happens, you need to fight the next wave manually or cast another Megaflare to get rid of it and wait until they recharge. There'll also be a Spiderchest or 2 that refuse to be sucked into the Graviga, but usually they're the last enemies you need to kill.

The reason for the Group Cura is that if you use it at some point during the battle, it fools the game into thinking you're playing with more than 1 person and gives you an extra 16% or so more medals: optimally you can do this in a bit over 30 seconds and get 122 medals out of it every time.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

AnotherGamer posted:

You increase your arena level for doing the stuff listed in the reports, ie. beat each battle once, win on each command board, get x number of medals in total, finish each Rumble Racing track with the given number of laps in x amount of time (beat them in Disney Town to unlock more).

If you want a good way to get medals, get 3 Megaflares, 1 Zero Graviga, and a Group Cure from the Arena. Get your arena level to 8 so you can do Risky Riches, cast Megaflare to finish off rounds 1 and 2 right away, cast it again to kill off the first group, move closer to the center and cast Graviga, follow with Group Cure and check that all the enemies are caught in it. Now just use the Command Style finisher you'll already have available at this point to finish off round 3.

The above can still fail if one of the Floods in the first round decides to be an rear end in a top hat and turn into a puddle before the Megaflare connects: if that happens, you need to fight the next wave manually or cast another Megaflare to get rid of it and wait until they recharge. There'll also be a Spiderchest or 2 that refuse to be sucked into the Graviga, but usually they're the last enemies you need to kill.

The reason for the Group Cura is that if you use it at some point during the battle, it fools the game into thinking you're playing with more than 1 person and gives you an extra 16% or so more medals: optimally you can do this in a bit over 30 seconds and get 122 medals out of it every time.

This is absolutely correct but keep in mind that if you want to grind medals do it after completing all the other things you can, obviously. Also if you finish the final arena match, Villains' Vendetta, which requires Arena level 30, you are rewarded with the Ultima Weapon.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Man that arena stuff, looks like I have a long trek ahead of me... that's fine, the game is enjoyable enough.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Grinding for medals is still useful earlier on if you wanna save up for Unison Rush, which is pretty drat useful against enemies like the higher-leveled Imprisoners that seem to be a pain in the rear end to get any hits on and keep track of when they spaz the hell out with their damned fire spin.

Dunno what the hell is up with Trinity Limit doing next to no damage, that thing must be bugged.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Iron Imprisoner III is actually the hardest iteration IMO, he's extremely aggressive.

However, they have one massive flaw: a crippling weakness to Firaga, which stuns them every time. This makes fighting them as Aqua hilarious because she gets Triple Firaga, one of the most broken spells in the game.

EDIT: oh yeah, if you use Bio Barrage or other magic bullet type shotlocks, they stun him as well. Iron Imprisoner isn't really that hard once you know this. PS You can make Bio Barrage by combining Poison Edge and Block, although it's only like a 15% chance so you have to savescum. For Aqua substitute Prism Rain for Bio Barrage.

Oh and Reive, Ventus gets a Command Style through the Arena, Sky Climber. It's kinda cool I guess. Oh and you can't finish the arena with all three characters until you've beaten the game with all three, since two of the matches won't appear until you play as Aqua, and I'm sure there's one that won't appear until you play as Terra or some poo poo.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 9, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh hey someone subbed the Dream Drop Distance trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlex8ja2eNI

I still don't know what the gently caress is going on.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Alteisen posted:

"Captions are not available"

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Senerio posted:

Did not know that one. I thought if you missed that one you had to beat Xehanort again for it to "count."

I thought that too, but no, the game prompts you to save clear data as soon as you save after collecting the last report. It really annoyed me too since everyone online said you had to rebeat Terra's final boss if you missed the report in the arena, which I did, so I said "gently caress it, not beating that rear end in a top hat again" and ignored the last report (and thus the final story) when I played.

Like a year later I was bored and only had my PSP with me and figured, hey, why not do some arena stuff to pass the time. Unlocked the final report, final story, and immediately got murdered after starting it since I completely forgot how to play Aqua. Great!

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Sorta surprised after messing with Aqua they *still* haven't put in Kairi as a playable character in some capacity before calling in another crossover.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They really don't seem to like Kairi. In the main storyline of Re:Coded, I kept track of how many times she was mentioned... I'm pretty sure it was only once, and it was a throwaway sentence. Any pretense of her being Sora's all important love interest has all but dried up, and I thought it was bad in KH2 when he started crying when he finally found Riku.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Momomo posted:

Any pretense of her being Sora's all important love interest has all but dried up, and I thought it was bad in KH2 when he started crying when he finally found Riku.

:qq: "RIKU! I've found you at long last!

:geno: Oh. Hi Kairi or whatever.

:qq: "RIKU!"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea I think its pretty firmly established that Riku is Sora's all important love interest.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Aren't the characters, like, 10 years old? How can they even have romance?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Main japanese fanbase is comprised almost entirely of shut-in japanese women that loves gay anime dudes and hates women, the guy in charge of this series is gay, and square-enix loves pandering to it's fans.

That's why we get stuff like an entire game about roxas and axel having "ice cream" and where his girlfriend turns into a man

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Justice posted:

Aren't the characters, like, 10 years old? How can they even have romance?

IIRC they were 16 or so in KH2.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sora is 14 in the first game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alteisen posted:

No one ever will.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Regy Rusty posted:

Sora is 14 in the first game.

Sora and Kairi were 14, Riku was 15.

KH2 takes place 2 years later and Sora aged despite being in stasis so yeah, that sets them up to be 16 and 17.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
But Riku and Sora are being deaged in Dream Drop Distance.

So yeah.

darealkooky posted:

Main japanese fanbase is comprised almost entirely of shut-in japanese women that loves gay anime dudes and hates women, the guy in charge of this series is gay, and square-enix loves pandering to it's fans.

That's why we get stuff like an entire game about roxas and axel having "ice cream" and where his girlfriend turns into a man

If Square was pandering to the part of the fanbase that hates women they wouldn't have created Aqua, who is the best Kingdom Hearts character.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea I was wondering about that, why do Sora and Riku look younger in Dream Drop Distance.

Laziness on Square's part?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They don't seem to like the KH2 designs, either, since they've never been used in another game since. I kind of agree, since they were pretty terrible looking.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Schlegel Mach posted:

But Riku and Sora are being deaged in Dream Drop Distance.

So yeah.

Seriously? Are you just joking or does this actually happen?

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Veev posted:

Seriously? Are you just joking or does this actually happen?

I have no idea if they've been deaged or if the art's just gone screwy, but 3D is supposed to take place after KH2 and both Riku and Sora look significantly younger than they do at the end of KH2. I remember reading something that said they're in the bodies of their younger selves, though.

I try not to think about it too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

In that trailer, I did see both proper FMV clips and in-game stuff of them as they were in KH2, so I don't really know what they're doing. Maybe it has something to do with them being in a dream world or whatever?