Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Raxivace posted:

You start with KH1.

Sounds great, I'll do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Airspace posted:

Hi, Kingdom Hearts thread.

One of my earliest purchases for my new PS4 was the mess of Kingdom Hearts re-releases, giving me access to KH, KH2, Chains, and Birth By Sleep.

My question is: Should I start with Kingdom Hearts (first game released) or Birth By Sleep (apparently first game chronologically?)?

Play release order. Not chronological order. Always.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Airspace posted:

One of my earliest purchases for my new PS4 was the mess of Kingdom Hearts re-releases, giving me access to KH, KH2, Chains, and Birth By Sleep.

My question is: Should I start with Kingdom Hearts (first game released) or Birth By Sleep (apparently first game chronologically?)?

Memento that poo poo, start with KH2

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Ventana posted:

To clarify how his Doom counter works, it decreases by 1 every time you get hit by his scythe attacks, not really because of anything from the timing of reflects or stitch. You can guard most of his scythe attacks in just the same way and the counter will not go down.

That said, this all falls under how the fight falls normally (use guard or reflect or aerial dodge on his attacks), just a difference of how you want to refill your MP. You have plenty of time to use ethers, so while you could use stitch, there's barely any need given your ample opportunities to refill and lack of huge use of MP that would specifically benefit stitch here, which is why I was confused. I'd still disagree with this method but hey, at least you're using the summons (since most people don't try)

That is true. I guess I just worded it poorly.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Memento that poo poo, start with KH2

Don't start with KH2 since every other game has worse gameplay. I'd even say that if you want to get a better gameplay experience, do this one last.

If you're just asking release or chronological order, I'd say play them in release order.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Just play them straight down the line the PS4 gives you. That's the best way to do it.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Airspace posted:

always do kh1 first. the secret ending movie usually gives hints at the next game in release order anyways.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

1234567890num posted:

Don't start with KH2 since every other game has worse gameplay. I'd even say that if you want to get a better gameplay experience, do this one last.

On the other hand, I kinda wonder what would happen if someone went through the KH series in order of worst gameplay (ultimately ending in Re:Com or days or something) and what they would think at the end of it

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SonicRulez posted:

Just play them straight down the line the PS4 gives you. That's the best way to do it.

Except that puts Days before KH2 which kind of spoils parts of KH2.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's easily solved by completely skipping the movies since they're boring as sin

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I am proposing you play all of the games and then watch all of the movies. Cause I don't think you really get anything out of Days that matters in BBS.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Days movie doesn't have Xigbar's goldfish line so it's trash.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It also doesn't have Roxas kicking the poo poo out of Saix, which was goddamn cathartic.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah the lack of some kind of animation representing the boss battles (apart from Final Xion which they patched in) was the most disappointing part of the Days movie.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Yeah the lack of some kind of animation representing the boss battles (apart from Final Xion which they patched in) was the most disappointing part of the Days movie.

A solid quarter of the movie would just be Roxas fighting Leechgrave.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

A solid quarter of the movie would just be Roxas hiding behind rocks fighting Ruler of the Sky.
Not an empty quote.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Well I found my least favorite AS. It's Vexen. Vexen is stupid.

Funky Valentine posted:

A solid quarter of the movie would just be Roxas fighting Infernal Engine.

I get it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finished all of KH1's super bosses and wound up getting 100% journal in that game without realizing it. Neat!

Also going back to it was absolute murder! Like I enjoy the *system* in 1 more but I'd almost rather play DDD then it due to how Sora has literally no reach on anything and feels like his big clown shoes are glued to the floor. Oof.

Alls that's left is
*Data Fights in 2
*Julius in DDD
*Finishing Critical in 0.2

I am *terrified* of the data fights mainly because Larxene pisses me right the gently caress off and I think she's poorly designed and I don't know how to deal with her when she was just a normal shadow fight thing. That and uh... rock... hammer? guy? I never got the power level gimmick and just brute forced him down originally and I doubt that'll slide here.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

iirc reflect melts larxene once she splits

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Tron hugs Sora and says "Isn't this what users do when they're sorry to say goodbye?" and Sora says "It's a first for me." What? Has nobody ever hugged Sora? How sad.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

iirc reflect melts larxene once she splits

Reflect melts everything, but you have to be careful of revenge values. Attacking both of Larxene's clones was a dangerous game in her AS fight for me. I thought it was a pretty well-programmed fight when I last played it. It's the only AS fight that I was very driven to keep challenging because it felt very well-tuned. Like it pushed me to the limit as far as reactions and MP management and deciding when to guard or when to Reflect.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SonicRulez posted:

Tron hugs Sora and says "Isn't this what users do when they're sorry to say goodbye?" and Sora says "It's a first for me." What? Has nobody ever hugged Sora? How sad.

His mom's a disembodied voice, how could she hug him?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I am *terrified* of the data fights mainly because Larxene pisses me right the gently caress off and I think she's poorly designed and I don't know how to deal with her when she was just a normal shadow fight thing. That and uh... rock... hammer? guy? I never got the power level gimmick and just brute forced him down originally and I doubt that'll slide here.

Larxene has tells on most/all of her attacks so you'll know when and usually which one, but there's a bunch of them and she has 3 phases of different attacks so it can be tricky to learn it all at first. As always, reflect usually helps out, though you might need to use something else for her 3rd DM. Watch out for the Data Larxene opening, it's different and kinda tricky if you aren't ready for it.

There's nothing that special to Lexaeus's power levels, just think of them like HP gates to when he gets a new attack, and you use an RC sometimes to break through them and get a combo while he's weakened. The Data fight should be mostly similar as the AS one.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lexaus is honestly the easiest absent silhouette. His attacks are super telegraphed, the hardest part is getting the timing down for the third rock pillar he punches down because of the delay.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

this was the strat i was thinking of lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh0wZXju4Mw

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

SonicRulez posted:

usually when people say goodbye to sora they're fading into a darkness portal

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Lessail posted:

usually when people say goodbye to sora they're fading into a darkness portal

donald and goofy usually just land right on top of sora

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Finished all of KH1's super bosses and wound up getting 100% journal in that game without realizing it. Neat!

Also going back to it was absolute murder! Like I enjoy the *system* in 1 more but I'd almost rather play DDD then it due to how Sora has literally no reach on anything and feels like his big clown shoes are glued to the floor. Oof.

Alls that's left is
*Data Fights in 2
*Julius in DDD

https://youtu.be/3M_lcWqm8HE

This is a really good guide for dealing with all of the data fights. Bizkit explains the strategies for each fight including what equipment and skills you should use, and how to handle the attacks you'll face. You should also check out his video about bad skills in KH2 because there are some (like dodge slash) that are actually detrimental to dealing consistent damage.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Good evening to everyone except Mushrooms #3 and #8. Those guys are a pain in the rear end. Clearly one more than the other.

If anyone has a tip for 10, I'll take it. Not as far as guessing which one is the right one. Dealing enough damage to him to meet the time.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 17, 2018

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Alls that's left is
*Data Fights in 2
*Julius in DDD

The data fights are easier than both Julius and the figure in BBS. They're the only ones I've never beaten on Critical.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I did it, friends. No more Mushroom shenanigans. 8 was RNG hell, but at least it's done. I don't know what they were thinking.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is 8 the one you juggle? there's several methods you can do where you don't just have to hope it flies off in a direction that's convenient

The easiest one is to use wisdom form and trap it in a corner. Then it's just timing your shots when it's coming down.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Amppelix posted:

Is 8 the one you juggle? there's several methods you can do where you don't just have to hope it flies off in a direction that's convenient

The easiest one is to use wisdom form and trap it in a corner. Then it's just timing your shots when it's coming down.

I posted several methods earlier in the thread, but I never got the Wisdom one to work tbh. Maybe with a bunch of trial and error to apply when he pops up where you know how to wait it out, but I didn't find it as easy as other methods. The easiest one for me was the Master form strat even if it's slightly random, but it's whatever works for the player since there are several methods that make it pretty straightforward.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok dudes, I just beat KHIIFM Critical, unlocked Final Form, and parked it.

Perusing Jiminy’s Journal, it looks like I have tons to do for the Platinum, I’m wondering what order you would recommend I tackle this stuff. Which endgame stuff/quests off their rewards that will make the rest of what I’m doing easier?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Bust Rodd posted:

Perusing Jiminy’s Journal, it looks like I have tons to do for the Platinum, I’m wondering what order you would recommend I tackle this stuff. Which endgame stuff/quests off their rewards that will make the rest of what I’m doing easier?

level up your forms and Get Better At Game

once you have the Halloween Town keyblade, the Beauty and the Beast keyblade, and the Auron keyblade, the only thing that'll really make a measurable difference is leveling up your forms and increasing your form gauge (beating sephiroth increases it by one, i forget what the rest are)

also i guess grinding for elixirs and megalixirs to use during Org fights

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

BrightWing posted:

KH2 on Critical is the best game in the series.

While the combat in the KH3 trailers looks good I have very low expectations for it.

Something or someone changed in the KH development team somewhere along the line of KH2.

KH1-Chain of Memories-KH2 rewarded you for learning boss patterns and tells and how to counter them, while also having the option to just be a little bitch and spam Reflega if you were somehow in this just for the story (you poor poor bastard)

Starting BBS bosses started operating on "flashy is cool" mode and just kept spamming poo poo over and over at you, resulting in the worst offender of Mysterious Figure where I have yet to find a video where the strategy didn't rely on "spam dodge roll till an opening, hit 1-2 times, keep spamming dodge roll". People say this is a very hard boss. I call it uninteresting.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Bust Rodd posted:

After completing all the worlds including 100 Acre Wood and Atlantica, probably like this: Forms/Summon leveling -> Cavern of Rememberance up till the Data org if you haven't already -> Cups till the Goddess of Fate cup for the Orichalcum + and Fatal Crest -> Puzzle Pieces + Chests -> Mushrooms (you'll find most alongside the Puzzle Pieces) -> Sephiroth -> Terra (earlier for easier synth grinding) -> Synthing (using the grinding w/ Terra and Lexaeus for needed materials) -> Data org -> Hades Cups.

Anything else for filling the journal from the missions or the gummi ship stuff you can do whenever you want in there. To explain the order, you want the forms for movement options to make puzzle pieces easier and to get through CoR, the first half of the cups since the 2nd half don't give rewards and you might need the Orichalcum+ and Fatal Crest in the following steps, Puzzle Pieces for the Draw Ring recipe which you can upgrade to get Lucky Rings for synthing, then you can start synthing everything. Anything of the other fights like Sephiroth or the Paradox cups can also be done whenever you want too though it's probably easier after the grinding.

Some notes: you don't have to farm terra if you don't want to for the Manifest Illusions since you can synth those, but if you use the strats to cheese terra then it's much faster than the alternative. You will have to fight data org members if you need any more Lost Illusions though. There's also a mission in Twilight town that has a pretty simple strat if you use the fenrir keyblade from Sephiroth, so you can maybe wait till beating him before doing the missions there if you want.

There's too much to say about synthing and gummi ships specifically so I'll just throw you to the Biz videos on them which can help you figure out how to do those sections best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inviaYMGftQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xomkjhCzUaM

I might be forgetting other stuff in there too for plat, but I think that's mostly fine. You can also grind to level 99 whenever you want for any of this.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Amppelix posted:

There are many strategies and none of them work 100% of the time cause the physics just are not perfect. I tried Wisdom, Master, Stitch. I finally got it after failing Master, falling out of the drive, getting frustrated, and just doing one last pull of the Mushroom with regular Berserk + Horizontal Slash. I can imagine mashing X in Master Form is probably the easiest with Berserk after spamming Thundaga, but I kept getting a lot of high 60s - low 70s before Sora would just whiff a hit or do too many spins.

8 wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't the only one, but all of the other guys are pretty straight forward and easy to do in a handful of tries.

Bust Rodd posted:

Level all your drives and the summon bar. Get Second Chance and Once More through leveling. With that in addition to the stuff you got on the way to beating the game, you're ready. The optional fights are just strategy and execution once you have those tools.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

While the combat in the KH3 trailers looks good I have very low expectations for it.

Something or someone changed in the KH development team somewhere along the line of KH2.

KH1-Chain of Memories-KH2 rewarded you for learning boss patterns and tells and how to counter them, while also having the option to just be a little bitch and spam Reflega if you were somehow in this just for the story (you poor poor bastard)

Starting BBS bosses started operating on "flashy is cool" mode and just kept spamming poo poo over and over at you, resulting in the worst offender of Mysterious Figure where I have yet to find a video where the strategy didn't rely on "spam dodge roll till an opening, hit 1-2 times, keep spamming dodge roll". People say this is a very hard boss. I call it uninteresting.

Kingdom Hearts games after 2 are handled by some team in Osaka apparently.

Unfortunately I think they’re doing 3 as well, hopefully they’ve learned a bit since then?

E: They also did the Phantom Aqua fight in 0.2 though and that’s probably a decent reference for what the new one will be like

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

trying to judge how good KH3 will be based on "which team is working on it" is a waste of time. KH3 is a big-budget console game, not a handheld title. The dev team is gonna be much bigger, the development environment vastly different, and staff gets moved around between different projects and different development teams all the time.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 18, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

KH3 is going to be fine. I actually have been looking into it out of curiosity and they're apparently listening to KH2 speedrunners and hardcore players for advice on how to handle physics and the like.

The team from what I understand even namedropped Bizkit as a key helper for feedback and patched 0.2 based on some of his critique.

At E3 people were saying the demo felt floaty still and while it was on the right track there needed to be more gravity. They showed off the demo with a slight update at some con and there's some webms floating around of Sora now having KH2 gravity from swings and being able to transition from air combos to ground combos seemlessly.

I have faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The team from what I understand even namedropped Bizkit as a key helper for feedback and patched 0.2 based on some of his critique.

Is there a real source for this? Biz joked about it when it happened during his streams earlier in the year when the patches dropped but no one was floating any specific namedrops about the feedback for real. I haven't read every KH3 interview but I haven't seen anything in those either