Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Play on Critical Mode. It's way more fun than Proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

And ultimately KH2's secret ending is a trailer for a game that came out in 2010 (jesus where has the time gone), so you're not really missing much.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Shadow225 posted:

I am starting KH2 for the first time to prep for 3.

I gather that there is a hidden ending that is either acquired by 100 percenting the game in normal mode or just beating every world in Proud mode. Is Proud mode that much more difficult, or is this a thing that I should just watch on YouTube after I beat the game?

Normal is a easier than proud, but getting 100% for the secret ending is a lot more annoying than just beating all worlds on Proud. And as said before, the secret ending doesn't matter much these days, so if you don't really care about the gameplay then just watch the ending on YT.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ventana posted:

Normal is a easier than proud, but getting 100% for the secret ending is a lot more annoying than just beating all worlds on Proud. And as said before, the secret ending doesn't matter much these days, so if you don't really care about the gameplay then just watch the ending on YT.

That 'putting up posters' side mission in Twilight Town was quite possibly the most grueling mission for 100%.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

LadyPictureShow posted:

That 'putting up posters' side mission in Twilight Town was quite possibly the most grueling mission for 100%.

Yeah I think I remember that one being a lot more annoying than I thought it'd be. Hades Paradox Cup probably was the most frustrating but that's sorta understandable.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
grinding out all materials to 100% synth was way more irritating than the paradox cup imo

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I tried to synth everything for the Ultima blade on my recent KH1 replay.

gently caress that poo poo. It takes way too long. It's insufferable. That was with all the perks to help, too.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Sounds like I am just going to play normal and watch the cutscene on YT, thanks.

Well, first I need to decide if I want to plow through Chain of Memories (I know to play this on easy mode) because I don't remember the synopsis I read about it years ago.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

Sounds like I am just going to play normal and watch the cutscene on YT, thanks.

Well, first I need to decide if I want to plow through Chain of Memories (I know to play this on easy mode) because I don't remember the synopsis I read about it years ago.

I seem to remember Chain of Memories being kind of a slog even on Beginner Mode. In this case it might be better to just watch the cutscenes on YT or something.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Shadow225 posted:

The secret cutscene isn’t even worth watching if you’re going to play BBS because it’s literally in the game. And I recommend playing BBS if you’re getting ready for KH3 because you’re going to be really confused if you don’t.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pug Rodeo posted:

The secret cutscene isn’t even worth watching if you’re going to play BBS because it’s literally in the game. And I recommend playing BBS if you’re getting ready for KH3 because you’re going to be really confused if you don’t.

And probably Dream Drop Distance as well

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

There are only two good kingdom hearts games

358/2 and original Coded

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Thumbtacks posted:

grinding out all materials to 100% synth was way more irritating than the paradox cup imo

The thing with grinding is that it's just mindlessly tedious, but not really difficult. Synthing is more annoying than irritating. Hades Paradox Cups final 10 rounds on critical can kill you extremely fast, making you have to repeat everything over again, which definitely is irritating. Less time consuming than grinding overall probably, but more irritating as a whole.

Maybe on the other difficulties it's less irritating, but most runs I do nowadays of KH2 are on crit so that's most of what I remember offhand.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Do not play Chain of Memories ever, please.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nah do play it but look up some pro strategies online first.

Spoilers: they mostly involve putting all your levels into CP unless a sleight is available.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Everytime I look at your avatar I'm reminded of the "Basically Kingdom Hearts" video again and I can't stop laughing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ventana posted:

The thing with grinding is that it's just mindlessly tedious, but not really difficult. Synthing is more annoying than irritating. Hades Paradox Cups final 10 rounds on critical can kill you extremely fast, making you have to repeat everything over again, which definitely is irritating. Less time consuming than grinding overall probably, but more irritating as a whole.

Maybe on the other difficulties it's less irritating, but most runs I do nowadays of KH2 are on crit so that's most of what I remember offhand.

Critical gives you pretty much permanent +50% drop rates out of the gate so it’s probably more tedious to grind out materials on the other difficulties

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Re: Chain of Memories is fun and good and it is my friend.
The trick is to enjoy card games as well as Kingdom Hearts. If you don't like building decks in strategic card games, skip it. If you don't like building decks, the rest of the gameplay is just Kingdom Hearts but less interesting.
Boy I wish that Re:CoM had added new game+ and optional bosses or a boss gauntlet, that game could've really used it.

The plot is: Half of the Organization tried to brainwash Sora, failed, and made a copy of Riku that apparently is never going to be relevant again even though everyone and their grandmother is coming back for KH3. Also the real Riku met Mickey and stuff I guess.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I’ve been powering through a full series playthrough on PS4 for the past several months, having never played any of the games before except the first when it was new, which I did not finish at the time. I’m currently a few worlds into DDD.

Thoughts on each one so far:

KH1 feels more like a proof of concept in retrospect, with its clunky platforming and much more vertical level geometry than other entries. It has the most familiar worlds to me, but the combat is unrefined and simplistic.

Re:CoM took me a few hours to really “get” but once it clicked it was a blast. Setting up my deck to do auto sleights was really fun, and being able to insta clear most trash battles near the end felt like a nice rewarding power curve. The actual navigating through the worlds was incredibly tedious, though, and ultimately the break system became aggravating on lategame bosses. Navigating complex menus amidst real time combat rarely feels good in video games.

358 Abridged was touching during the cutscenes, but text dumps between them in place of gameplay was annoying.

KH2 is probably one of the best action RPGs I’ve ever played. It improves on the original in every conceivable way, from combat feel to level design to bonus content to art direction. It’s highly likely that I’ll replay this at some point.

BBS left me with mixed feelings. I took a 6 week break between Terra’s and Ventus’s campaigns because the prospect of starting over from level 1 two more times after all the work I’d done left a sour taste in my mouth. The weak low-level beginning is usually one of the least compelling parts of a game for me and it took some serious willpower to make myself pick it back up. The level design belies its portable origins, but the removal of the mana bar in favor of individual skill cooldowns and the command melding system were fantastic. Even the board game wasn’t that bad and was a great time efficient way to farm commands.

Re:Coded I started to watch and got bored really fast, but I will probably play the DS version at some point because I hear the gameplay is really fun.

DDD did one thing very right so far, which is giving me fun ways to get around right off the bat. Will update when I finish it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Last Celebration posted:

Critical gives you pretty much permanent +50% drop rates out of the gate so it’s probably more tedious to grind out materials on the other difficulties

Tbh this just even more tells me that you should only play on critical, since it's not really that hard for most of it and the cool stuff you get is really good (another finisher helps a lot, the lucky lucky's as you mentioned).

Zonko_T.M. posted:

The trick is to enjoy card games as well as Kingdom Hearts. If you don't like building decks in strategic card games, skip it. If you don't like building decks, the rest of the gameplay is just Kingdom Hearts but less interesting.

As someone who used to like card games a lot and still kinda does, I never did and still don't enjoy Re:Com's gameplay. I do like the story a lot though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Re:CoM's story is really neat on it's own when you cut the literal poo poo ton of filler in the actual levels. The combat though is just dire and if you're not using sleights you just kind of get stunlocked to hell and back and at that point why even bother.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Original CoM was a lot better about that because it let you throw cards while you were getting hit. Re did a couple of things better than the original, but a lot of things worse.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just read Mistaya's Chain Of Memories LP.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

I like CoM’s storyline, but Castle Oblivion is just about the most boring environment for a setting, and the retread of all the worlds from KH1 made it such a slog.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

CoM has the only tolerable incarnation of Atlantica so it has that going for it.

Also some pretty great sprite work.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
100 acre wood being the world Sora goes to after losing most of his memories was still a neat story-telling decision imo

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

CoM has the only tolerable incarnation of Atlantica so it has that going for it.

KH2 exists so this is false

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

KH2 exists so this is false

You monster!

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i'm probably alone here but i actually really enjoyed KH1's atlantica

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I didn't have problems with the underwater controls but the world was just so bland! All rocks everywhere and everything looked the same!

I want more musical minigames but instead of entire worlds that are just musicals, have just one or two setpiece songs per world. And for the X of Nort please use songs from the actual movies.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Thumbtacks posted:

i'm probably alone here but i actually really enjoyed KH1's atlantica

You're not alone, I liked KH1 atlantica and I can't stand KH2's

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't have a problem with the swimming in KH1 Atlantica, though even playing the game a million times I still get lost sometimes, forget where to go if I'm skipping cutscenes etc.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have a problem with the terrible bosses

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Giant Ursula is one of the bosses that is a huge jump in difficulty and that tends to frustrate new players. See also Riku 2.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Riku 2 is at least an actual test of skills built up throughout the game, whereas Ursula you don't really have access to most of your best abilities, along with having to deal with the swimming controls.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ursula’s easy

she’s just boring and lame and you have to rely on the crappy dolphin kick move

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i was emulating the final mixes and had to briefly switch over to a JPN ISO because the english-translated one made ursula invincible

was all "hmm, i don't remember her being this awful"

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

DanielCross posted:

Riku 2 is at least an actual test of skills built up throughout the game, whereas Ursula you don't really have access to most of your best abilities, along with having to deal with the swimming controls.

I had never really used the Aero spell, and I was in for a rude awakening when I hit Riku 2. Yikes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you didn’t learn how to dodge or block, boy you’re in for a surprise when you get to Riku 2.

I had problems with him my first time through, I remember playing it on a Saturday morning and having to sit through that drat cutscene over and over until my dad said from the next room “Boy that sure sounds familiar!”

I wasn’t even a kid I was 16 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I remember back in the day it took me the better part of a year to finally beat Riku 2