Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Schlegel Mach posted:

I have no idea if they've been deaged or if the art's just gone screwy, but 3D is supposed to take place after KH2 and both Riku and Sora look significantly younger than they do at the end of KH2. I remember reading something that said they're in the bodies of their younger selves, though.

I try not to think about it too hard.

They are in Dream Worlds or something so I think that's the rationale for their new outfits or something.

EDIT: KH2 takes place just under a year after the first game. If you want to be specific, exactly 358 days after Sora became a heartless in Hollow Bastion :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

darealkooky posted:

Main japanese fanbase is comprised almost entirely of shut-in japanese women that loves gay anime dudes and hates women, the guy in charge of this series is gay, and square-enix loves pandering to it's fans.

I recall reading somewhere that they we worried about Aqua bring "too proactive" as a female character, and thought it might not go over too well in some places.

Is Nomura gay? I mean, I know he has a hardon for Gackt, but...

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Momomo posted:

They don't seem to like the KH2 designs, either, since they've never been used in another game since. I kind of agree, since they were pretty terrible looking.

No game has taken place after KH2 since. 358/2 days, Re:coded, Birth by Sleep, all prequels. Technically Re:coded is a sequel but you aren't using the actual Sora in that one.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
Aqua's a loving awesome character.

Oh, and yeah, Kingdom Hearts is one of those series where the more information you're given, the less you feel like you know.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Alteisen posted:

No game has taken place after KH2 since. 358/2 days, Re:coded, Birth by Sleep, all prequels. Technically Re:coded is a sequel but you aren't using the actual Sora in that one.

Well that's what I mean, every game we've gotten has been pre KH2. It seems like they just don't want to continue with the story and want to remake the first game over and over.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well, DDD is the one to continue the story, and before that BBS was pretty much a prequel and entirely it's own thing.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alteisen posted:

Re:coded takes place immediately after KHII, 3D takes place immediately after Re:coded

EDIT: momomo I've seen you say that before, about remaking the first game, but I don't really agree; while a lot of games revisit things about the first game, they're never really like the first game at all. Re:Chain revisits parts of the first game such as worlds, but the plots on the worlds are all different from those in the original since they're all about memory. Plus the whole card system thing. 358/2 is nothing like the first game, it's more like KHII, and BBS is basically its own thing. That leaves Re:coded, which again revisits some elements of the first game but approaches them in an entirely different way (they are all full of bugs and glitches which you have to eradicate)

The first game is really unlike anything else in the series, except maybe KHII which is kinda similar but then has a completely different feel to it.

EDIT:

RagnarokAngel posted:

3D is supposedly the last game before they finally release a proper KH3.
...Until BBS:FM had a trailer for BBS2 so thanks square.

I hope they release 1+2+CoM in HD on PS3. It seems rather absurd that the first games of the series are now almost inaccessible to a modern audience, since PS3s now can't play PS2 games anymore. Especially since the series still sells a lot to kids, I'm assuming anyway, the fact that the first game in the series is now older than some of the people playing it is nuts.

This, but with the Final Mixes. I feel like they would be doing a disservice to the West by not doing that, and they sure as hell wouldn't release the Vanilla ones again in Japan since they can already get the Final Mixes.

Also I am really, really hoping for a BBS Vol 2 because it looks awesome and (BBS endgame spoilers) Aqua loving owns bones and I will play as her forever

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 11, 2012

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I hope they release 1+2+CoM in HD on PS3. It seems rather absurd that the first games of the series are now almost inaccessible to a modern audience, since PS3s now can't play PS2 games anymore. Especially since the series still sells a lot to kids, I'm assuming anyway, the fact that the first game in the series is now older than some of the people playing it is nuts.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Nomura's not going to even touch KH3 until FFXIII VS comes out, and that game is never coming out, so we'll have to settle for sequels to prequels. I don't know if they'll be allowed to do the proper KH sequel without him.

If BBS2 isn't just Aqua's adventures of fixing things everyone else screwed up I am going to be disappointed.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I liked the art style of World Ends With You, so I should like these games. But after 1, 2, and 358 I feel worn out. And I'm one of those Disney nerds who can sing all of the songs from the movies without looking online for lyrics, so my lack of interest always hurts.

How critical is it that I play Birth By Sleep? I played it once, but couldn't understand the new gameplay gimmicks to beat the first boss. Throw in my apathy about the PSP for many of the same reason as many Americans, and you can get why I mostly ignored it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

How critical is it that I play Birth By Sleep? I played it once, but couldn't understand the new gameplay gimmicks to beat the first boss. Throw in my apathy about the PSP for many of the same reason as many Americans, and you can get why I mostly ignored it.

BBS is pretty much Kingdom Hearts 3. If you want to even attempt to have some idea of what the hell is going on, it's going to be required.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

BBS is pretty much Kingdom Hearts 3. If you want to even attempt to have some idea of what the hell is going on, it's going to be required.

Plus the amount of retcons are so goddamn ridiculous in the best way possible it must be seen to be believed.

But yeah BBS was the game that KH2 was hinting at with its teaser video many years ago so it's more or less KH3.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

EDIT: momomo I've seen you say that before, about remaking the first game, but I don't really agree; while a lot of games revisit things about the first game, they're never really like the first game at all. Re:Chain revisits parts of the first game such as worlds, but the plots on the worlds are all different from those in the original since they're all about memory. Plus the whole card system thing. 358/2 is nothing like the first game, it's more like KHII, and BBS is basically its own thing. That leaves Re:coded, which again revisits some elements of the first game but approaches them in an entirely different way (they are all full of bugs and glitches which you have to eradicate)

I mostly meant the worlds they used and how they were just done slightly differently. After four times with him, I'm really not interested in what Aladdin is up to, and seeing them justify the same events happening again (like say, Riku becoming evil because of darkness viruses, and Malificent and Pete are the annoying villains again) just makes it feel like they can't get over how great KH1 was.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Wait, the things that happen in BBS are actually important? I've finished it and all of the questions it answers aren't things I was ever curious about. I guess the Keyblade master stuff is kind of important but not so much that it would require playing the game to understand the series.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Schlegel Mach posted:

Nomura's not going to even touch KH3 until FFXIII VS comes out, and that game is never coming out, so we'll have to settle for sequels to prequels. I don't know if they'll be allowed to do the proper KH sequel without him.

Final Fantasy is stupid screw final fantasy XIII give me KH3 already :qq:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

Wait, the things that happen in BBS are actually important? I've finished it and all of the questions it answers aren't things I was ever curious about. I guess the Keyblade master stuff is kind of important but not so much that it would require playing the game to understand the series.

The main villain in it is set to be the main villain of KH3, and it's pretty strongly implied that KH3 is going to be about tracking down the protagonists of BBS. Re:Coded ends with Data Sora finding out about the trio from BBS and Dream Drop Distance is about Sora and Riku taking the Mastery Exam so they're prepared to fight Xehanort and find Terra, Aqua and Ven.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So that hidden boss in KH2 Final mix. The super duper hard one.

Is that supposed to be Terra?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The main villain in it is set to be the main villain of KH3, and it's pretty strongly implied that KH3 is going to be about tracking down the protagonists of BBS. Re:Coded ends with Data Sora finding out about the trio from BBS and Dream Drop Distance is about Sora and Riku taking the Mastery Exam so they're prepared to fight Xehanort and find Terra, Aqua and Ven.

drat man what are all these names? Where's all the Disney characters :mad:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Kingdom Hearts vanished up its own multicolored anime butthole a long time ago, friend

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
There are Disney characters but they've become increasingly irrelevant.

Alteisen posted:

So that hidden boss in KH2 Final mix. The super duper hard one.

Is that supposed to be Terra?

Yes and no. Terra's heart is still inside his body with Xehanort's. The armor's supposed to be Terra's mind or someshit.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Momomo posted:

They really don't seem to like Kairi. In the main storyline of Re:Coded, I kept track of how many times she was mentioned... I'm pretty sure it was only once, and it was a throwaway sentence. Any pretense of her being Sora's all important love interest has all but dried up, and I thought it was bad in KH2 when he started crying when he finally found Riku.
FANGIRLS :argh:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Mickey's still there and important! Donald and Goofy are probably still party members in KH3, but they never really mattered besides that. Maleficent and Pete like to pretend they're still important. Oh yeah, Yen Sid.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This is starting to sound like I should just go buy Epic Mickey if I want to enjoy virtual recreations of classic family movies.

Supposedly Disney owns the 'unique' KH characters (Sora showed up as a cast-performed character one year at Disney World) and they're famous for being tight and cranky about how their characters are presented. Somehow, they continue to let Square write a story that nobody this side of Ulllulululia could understand with their corporate mascots.

At this point, I'll put up with one more installment of their Japanese Time Cube manifesto just to see who replaces Tony Jay as the voice of Frollo.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

This is starting to sound like I should just go buy Epic Mickey if I want to enjoy virtual recreations of classic family movies.

Supposedly Disney owns the 'unique' KH characters (Sora showed up as a cast-performed character one year at Disney World) and they're famous for being tight and cranky about how their characters are presented. Somehow, they continue to let Square write a story that nobody this side of Ulllulululia could understand with their corporate mascots.

At this point, I'll put up with one more installment of their Japanese Time Cube manifesto just to see who replaces Tony Jay as the voice of Frollo.

Yeah, don't come to KH for the Disney stuff, it'd be better without it anyway.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's... to be expected I guess. The series is going to become a huge convoluted mess of spinoffs until they can literally release KH1 with absolutely no changes as a sequel to KH4

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sora and Kairi were 14, Riku was 15.

KH2 takes place 2 years later and Sora aged despite being in stasis so yeah, that sets them up to be 16 and 17.

When I first played KH1 I was Sora's age. I'm 24 now. Why do I even follow this dumb poo poo when it's obvious it's gonna stay a kid's game :I

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 11, 2012

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They are in Dream Worlds or something so I think that's the rationale for their new outfits or something.

EDIT: KH2 takes place just under a year after the first game. If you want to be specific, exactly 358 days after Sora became a heartless in Hollow Bastion :v:

I can make sense of new outfits, but is there a rational explanation as to why they look younger again? Is there ever? (it seems like every side game they're obsessed with having Riku and Sora look like they did in KH1 even if they takes place after the second game or something)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

I'm not exaggerating when I say that Epic Mickey was one of the worst and most disappointing games I've ever played. I never even finished it.

Reive posted:

Without the Disney stuff KH would be completely pointless.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

LemonLimeTime posted:

I can make sense of new outfits, but is there a rational explanation as to why they look younger again? Is there ever? (it seems like every side game they're obsessed with having Riku and Sora look like they did in KH1 even if they takes place after the second game or something)

That is the explanation, the game takes place in a dream or other similar plot device so they can look whatever Nomura pleases.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Momomo posted:

I mostly meant the worlds they used and how they were just done slightly differently. After four times with him, I'm really not interested in what Aladdin is up to, and seeing them justify the same events happening again (like say, Riku becoming evil because of darkness viruses, and Malificent and Pete are the annoying villains again) just makes it feel like they can't get over how great KH1 was.

I could see this for Re:chain and re:coded but eh, 358 completely ignores the plots of the Disney worlds for the most part and are basically all original little side stories. While there have been a couple remakey things and a bunch of worlds repeated several times I think you're blowing it a bit out of proportion. Also Aladdin is awesome and there are three Aladdin films for them to draw plots from, so they could still technically do Prince of Thieves!

WrightOfWay posted:

Um it connects the plots of every other game and sets up for the finale, how could it not be important?

Craptacular! posted:

Um you won't enjoy Epic Mickey, it's pretty tough to actually enjoy playing that game.

Reive posted:

no, it would just be a stupid anime game no one cares about. Kinda like the Tales series (which I love)

Keep in mind that Birth By Sleep included a bunch of new Disney Worlds (Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Lilo & Stitch, DISNEYTOWN), and 3D is going to be all new worlds as well (Mickey Donald Goofy 3 Musketeers, Hunchback, TRON LEGACY, and a real Pinocchio world revealed so far) so there's still plenty of new Disney to experience in the coming games. I wouldn't be surprised if KHIII is almost all new worlds too, and they learned from their mistake of KHII (that just redoing the plots of Disney movies lost its novelty after the first game)

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Macaluso posted:

I'm not exaggerating when I say that Epic Mickey was one of the worst and most disappointing games I've ever played. I never even finished it.

Without the Disney stuff KH would be completely pointless.

Well, without the Disney stuff it'd just be another Final Fantasy, really.

On the note of Epic Mickey...my old roommate and I picked it up as one of our first Wii games and like presentation aside, good god did that game have terrible rear end controls. We sold it the next day. It's practically unplayable. Makes me wonder how they're going to handle those problems with the second one.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

no, it would just be a stupid anime game no one cares about. Kinda like the Tales series (which I love)

Now if were filled with Tales stuff in place of Disney however...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Reive posted:

Now if were filled with Tales stuff in place of Disney however...

TalesxFinalFantasy

I would play that, holy moly

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'd play DisneyxTales, just to see a party of Jade, Yuri, and Mickey Mouse.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Just a heads up - the next Jump features a 'Symphony of Sorcery' world for KH3DS, which is a Sorcerer's Apprentice world. Riku is seen interacting with Yen Sid's book and with Apprentice Mickey commanding brooms.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

LemonLimeTime posted:

On the note of Epic Mickey...my old roommate and I picked it up as one of our first Wii games and like presentation aside, good god did that game have terrible rear end controls. We sold it the next day. It's practically unplayable. Makes me wonder how they're going to handle those problems with the second one.

I think the second one's not going to be Wii-exclusive this time around, so maybe they'll focus on giving the 360 and PS3 versions better control and camera schemes.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
They should stop "recreating" the Disney movies (badly) and just make you fight the Disney characters. Beating up Peter Pan was the high-light of BBS.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Pureauthor posted:

Just a heads up - the next Jump features a 'Symphony of Sorcery' world for KH3DS, which is a Sorcerer's Apprentice world. Riku is seen interacting with Yen Sid's book and with Apprentice Mickey commanding brooms.

Please tell me it's not the Nic Cage version.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Please tell me it's not the Nic Cage version.

Nope. The Fantasia version!

Also like to add that Kingdom Hearts Ultimania is a really good fansite if you're looking for up-to-date info on the upcoming games.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

burntpork posted:

Nope. The Fantasia version!

Also like to add that Kingdom Hearts Ultimania is a really good fansite if you're looking for up-to-date info on the upcoming games.

I didn't even know there was another version of that. I only know the Fantasia version...

Well, this game is looking more and more like a for sure purchase to me. Not day 1, probably, but I wanna get it!

How can I get caught up on the pot of the other games (especially BBS) assuming I haven't played a KH game since II and haven't owned any Sony systems since the PS2 (which ain't gonna change, either)?

Have any of the KH games been LP'ed? That would be ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

When I first played KH1 I was Sora's age. I'm 24 now. Why do I even follow this dumb poo poo when it's obvious it's gonna stay a kid's game :I

I personally do because I enjoy watching the trainwreck of a plot move in super slow motion. Once the "Xehanort Arc" is over I may call it quits but I'm enjoying it for its craziness for now.