Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's really a shame that final form is so obtuse to unlock. By the time you can get it it's pointless and the chances of discovering it are so small, though perhaps that was the idea. Japanese game design seems to love "bonuses for the extremely lucky".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah I played proud and did the typically recommended Terra->Ven->Aqua progression and I felt the difficulty of the game was nothing after Terra's finale. The other 2 finales were kind of disappointing by comparison.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I doubt they'll make a serious attempt at continuing TWEWY plot. Aren't all the pre-established disney and square characters considered alternate reality versions?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Sora is 14 in the first game.

Sora and Kairi were 14, Riku was 15.

KH2 takes place 2 years later and Sora aged despite being in stasis so yeah, that sets them up to be 16 and 17.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

3D is supposedly the last game before they finally release a proper KH3.
...Until BBS:FM had a trailer for BBS2 so thanks square.

I hope they release 1+2+CoM in HD on PS3. It seems rather absurd that the first games of the series are now almost inaccessible to a modern audience, since PS3s now can't play PS2 games anymore. Especially since the series still sells a lot to kids, I'm assuming anyway, the fact that the first game in the series is now older than some of the people playing it is nuts.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

BBS is pretty much Kingdom Hearts 3. If you want to even attempt to have some idea of what the hell is going on, it's going to be required.

Plus the amount of retcons are so goddamn ridiculous in the best way possible it must be seen to be believed.

But yeah BBS was the game that KH2 was hinting at with its teaser video many years ago so it's more or less KH3.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

When I first played KH1 I was Sora's age. I'm 24 now. Why do I even follow this dumb poo poo when it's obvious it's gonna stay a kid's game :I

I personally do because I enjoy watching the trainwreck of a plot move in super slow motion. Once the "Xehanort Arc" is over I may call it quits but I'm enjoying it for its craziness for now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

358/2 days really bored me. It suffers from the lazy way out a lot of action RPGs are handled on handhelds (Crisis Core, Valkyria Chronicles 2, FFTA1 and 2 etc.) in that it pads out its length with a lot of really samey missions in the same areas in order to get on with the plot, and as someone said nothing new or exciting honestly happens you didn't already know, unlike say, BBS.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

I would suggest cutting off his head, but knowing this series, it'd just spawn a race of things called 'the headless' or something.

Which will ironically have heads but no bodies or something.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

:laffo: at the end of Tangled I shouted "She died the quintessential Disney death!"

And everbody stood up and clapped.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Why was that fight even timed goddamnit it made no sense.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Sometimes it is not always good to try to translate an art style directly.

That is goddamn terrifying.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

couldcareless posted:

That set is awfully expensive for what you get.

Games in Japan already cost a lot more than in the US, add some fancy crap to it and that happens I guess.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

LemonLimeTime posted:

This pretty much confirms once and for all the KH series is the worst piece of writing to ever grace any kind of media.

If by worst you mean brilliant then yes.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Liku posted:

Are you... being serious?

And by brilliant I mean pure insanity in the best way possible.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It's a macguffin.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

His name is Sora, generic anime kid hero who saves the world

I like Sora. He may not be the deepest character ever, but I like his enthusiasm compared to the mopey heroes Square usually uses. Stuff like him getting excited to meet Santa in KH2 reminded me of being a kid.

Serene Crimson posted:

I always thought Kingdom Hearts was like "The heart of all hearts"

Whatever the powers of the heart are, Kingdom Hearts is like that x infinity.

How do you get to it? hell if I know.
Yeah but in the first game it was implied to be the door to a place of "pure Darkness" which notAnsem wanted to control all the worlds. In 2 it's said to be where hearts return after a heartless is killed (goddamnit I seriously hate that loving naming scheme.) and by collecting enough the Nobodies (Who are the ones who are actually heartless seriously what the gently caress Square) can have their hearts back.

It just does whatever is convenient for the game at the time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

I thought notAnsem was wrong because he got his face seared off by light.

I forgot about that part.

But you look at it after and it's just hordes of heartless so unless it blew its load at that moment, it just goes back to "Kingdom Hearts is whatever plot convenience deems it to be".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

It'd be lovely if they would stop releasing these games for systems I don't want. I don't want a 3DS. Nomura! :argh:

Portable development is likely a lot cheaper than console development. The problem I'm seeing is a lot of people are glossing over birth by sleep and 3D because they think they're just yet another side story instead of actual extensions to the story.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Right but this problem is caused by Square themselves. Take a look at this list:

Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep

and tell me how anyone would play the first two then think a game with a weird subtitle is an important part of the series, especially from a company that titles their games FINAL FANTASY 14.

I never denied it was anyone but square's fault. I see a lot of people doing the same thing with Assassin's Creed. I think it's logical to assume that subtitled entries are filler when everything else has been numbered, but game devs are afraid of passing the 3 mark. So they pad it out with super confusing subtitles until "We're sure this is actually 3 you guys".

Amppelix posted:

I'm now imagining the potential casual KH fan who played KH1, played KH2, waits 15 years for KH3, has absolutely no idea what's going on, and returns it after a day.
This is what I'm expecting yes.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It's funny that Disney is famous for their musical numbers and Kingdom Hearts has a really lovely track record of them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Can't you choose whoever you want?

You can but the list goes Terra, Ventis and then Aqua, so your average person is likely going to go in that order. That's also the order that Nomura recommends in terms of making the most sense.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

I didn't really get that order because:
Terra's game has a ton of spoilers for Ventus and Vanitas. Fortunately, I played Ventus first before Terra, but I would have been annoyed at getting the identity of the masked boy spoiled before playing Ventus.

All the plots "spoil" another in one way or another I think, that's just going to be your perception based on the order you played. I felt playing Terra first makes the most sense because the plot is the most "about" him. Ventus has a huge role but he's more of a plot device than the main character. So you see the overarching story, and then Ventus and Aqua fill in the details, and since you play Aqua in the epilogue, it's an easy transition to play her last.

But that's probably just my perceptions based on the order I played.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Behonkiss posted:

This almost feels like a given. It and Princess and the Frog (Which I'm betting on appearing in some way as well) are the most "traditional" Disney films of the past decade, and I read it was their most successful animated film since The Lion King. They'd be nuts not to include it.

I think it's clear at this point Square doesn't care about the Disney side anymore and only uses new worlds when its hand is forced.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

So is there a way to get crystals or whatever for free? Ffrk is fairly generous with its currency which is what kept me playing that for so long.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I'm in Ursine, can someone invite me to their party?

Alice, 226733

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

First pull since starting this game and...

That'll uh...that'll do.