Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Bust Rodd posted:

...I mean I got all these games for when I pre-ordered KH3, so i guess this is just that without also paying for the pre-order?

Pretty much. This just seems to be the equivalent of that deal for folks that prefer physical copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

I’ve been playing through all the games on my PS4 to get ready for KH3, and I’ve noticed there are always weird pauses when the voice actors say names.

“Thank you for saving us... Sora... Donald... Goofy...”

It’s like they recorded all the names separately, and just throw the sound clips in to other phrases.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Billzasilver posted:

Why is there so much flannel now?

Maybe he’s finally over zippers and has moved on to a new obsession.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Gologle posted:

I like to think that's the actor realizing anew what a dumb thing it is that they are saying, but based on what I've heard about the localization of these games and S-E in general, it's probably that they have no clue what any of their lines mean in general.

You can almost hear Jason Dohring roll his eyes on most of Terra’s dialogue.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

What’s the reason for Emblem Heartless being in Union? I thought Xehanort created them in between BBS and KH1.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

Sounds like I am just going to play normal and watch the cutscene on YT, thanks.

The secret cutscene isn’t even worth watching if you’re going to play BBS because it’s literally in the game. And I recommend playing BBS if you’re getting ready for KH3 because you’re going to be really confused if you don’t.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

I like CoM’s storyline, but Castle Oblivion is just about the most boring environment for a setting, and the retread of all the worlds from KH1 made it such a slog.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

KH2 exists so this is false

You monster!

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

It didn’t keep Cloud from being a sad boy.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Finally just finished working my way through all the things in the HD collections after starting in August and I’m pretty stoked that I have a couple months of non-KH time before III. DDD was alright while playing it, but I get the complaints after it was all over. There was about 5 minutes worth of actual plot in that game.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

With the bulk of the story coming from “side games”, why are they even keeping the numbering system at this point? People who have only played 1 and 2 only know “Ansem” and Xemnas as the villains. Now there’s 12 versions of some dude named Master Xehanort they have to somehow figure out.

I also may be underestimating how many fans didn’t play all/most the games in the series. Especially with the HD releases.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Larryb posted:

Ah, not really sure what those restrictions actually did anyway since I've seen plenty of people record the game fine (cutscenes and all) for Let's Plays and the like in the past.

You couldn’t record certain things with the console’s built in recording features. I’m sure all other recording methods have always worked fine.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

DanielCross posted:

I think at some point, Nomura said that unlike Final Fantasy's rotating cast, Kingdom Hearts will always be Sora's story.

When will the PTSD kick in from being forced to be a child soldier?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Dross posted:

Except for 358 and BBS?

Are you saying these two games don’t tell Sora’s story? They definitely do.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Gologle posted:

Something occurred to me. Is there going to be a third Sephiroth fight?

He’ll be the 13th vessel.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

Ramuxon, the true final boss

Jesus, it really is going to be this isn’t it?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Gologle posted:

I still don't know what birth by sleep means. I get DDD, I get coded, I get 358, but not that title. There's nothing in the game that the title refers to or signifies.

Sora’s strength/abilities “being born” coming from Ventus’s heart sleeping within his?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Also I hope with all the Marluxia screenshots that we’ll actually get some story on how Lauriam got a nobody despite being a Dandelion. Although they heavily implied that he stole the spot on the team.

I’m also guessing the reason he was much nicer to Roxas compared to the other XIII members was because he saw Ventus in Roxas.

Basically I’m tired of playing the dumb mobile game for snippets of storyline in between several mind numbing quests.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Oh. Sure enough.

:chloe:

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I thought Nomura said he wasn't planning on ever putting Marvel/Star Wars stuff into Kingdom Hearts - something about only wanting to use IPs that were always Disney or something?

Someone should probably tell him that Big Hero 6 was a Marvel comic before it was a Disney movie.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

I don't care if there are pre-order bonuses for games. But they should all be the same, no matter who you pre-order from.

They almost always come out as regular DLC once the hype is over.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

If Sora isn’t surrounded by a swarm of keyblades that magically fly all around him by the end of KH3 then what is the point of playing this dumb game?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

If my family doesn’t put

“Some feller named Ansem, who wasn't really Ansem, turned into a Heartless. Didn't a Nobody get created when that happened too? - Goofy”

on my tombstone when I die I will just lose it.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Gologle posted:

Is Larxene still such a sassy bitch in the mobile game? Her and Marluxia are the types that I bet were just always evil.

I’m actually pretty interested in how that’s going to play out since they were the ones who rebelled against the Organization in CoM. I’m guessing they’ve had their own agenda all this time. Not just after becoming Nobodies.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

All I know is good loving luck to everyone coming to this game straight from 2

Where’s the best place to witness the breakdowns? Reddit?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

I have a feeling that we aren’t really going to fully understand Xehanort’s endgame until Union X’s current storyline is complete. There has to be a reason that Xehanort inherited No Name, and since it has the Gazing Eye in it that the Master of Masters used to write the Book of Prophesies I would imagine he has access to some knowledge that we haven’t seen. I may be wrong, but I don’t believe we’ve heard a good reason for wanting to restart the war yet.

I keep hearing people talk about this ending the Kingdom Hearts saga, but keep in mind that Nomura has said that the only big mystery from Union X would be what was in Luxu’s box that the Master of Masters gave him. It may be the end of Sora’s story, but this franchise isn’t going away just yet.

The fact that this is all covered in a mobile game and yet seems just as important as everything else boggles the mind.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

chumbler posted:

Nomura can say it's only the end of one saga, but at the rate main line games come out it's basically the end of the series.

But as we’ve established main line numbering means nothing. When you see it that way KH game releases have been fairly steady.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

TheLoneStar posted:

I think the one thing that bothers me the most is after he's forced to steal Aurora's heart he's just like "Well that sucks, guess I better get going" and doesn't even attempt to fix the situation.

I don’t mind Jason Dohring as an actor, but his voice acting is so monotone that Terra always sounds apathetic about everything.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Isn’t Braig the only member that joined up with Xehanort himself instead of Xemnas? He knew what was up.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The first six Org members were all Ansem the Wise’s apprentices. They all knew Terra-Xehanort under the name Xehanort. Braig is the only one who knew him as Master Xehanort.

Ah that’s right. I skipped the unsplit Terra variation that was in between.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

It was going pretty well until Terra-Nort remembered who he was and ripped Braig's heart out.

Dude just wanted a keyblade.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

We played as Mickey in KH2 and it’ll happen again in KH 3.

I didn’t. :smug:

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

The official KH Twitter account got norted. It apparently got suspended, and now that it's back, darkness has taken over.

Is this the 13th Xehanort?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Yeah the part that is addressed in KH3 won't even make it to the US until after KH3 is released.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Yeah I really liked KH2’s system. Dive Mode from DDD can eat my rear end though.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

I think KH1 and KH2 were definitely planned together or they wouldn’t have come out 3 years apart despite being larger releases.

Even though KH2 had Birth by Sleep as the secret video, the game still took 5 more years to come out and it’s not even a long game. It just feels that way since you’re doing everything three times with mostly minor differences.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Well there’s the dark Kingdom Key that matches the light version that Sora uses, but that’s the only example of one being identical, at least physically.

I can’t think of a reason why Sora’s would be special. I’m still not clear though if the keyblade upgrades are canon or if Sora is technically always using Kindgom Key.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

melodicwaffle posted:

Hi thread, I've been un-bookmarked for a bit just because I'm being hyper-cautious about KH3 stuff now (I'm staying away from trailers because I want to be surprised, and I dunno who's using spoiler tags and who's not). So, sorry if this is retreading anything that's been discussed recently!

But anyway I have a friend who's been streaming the whole series via the PS4 remasters in the lead-up to KH3; he hasn't played any of them since KH1's initial release. So it's been quite a ride going through many years of gameplay changes, plot layers, and so on in the span of a couple months. The reactions and such from him and others have made me notice how desensitized I've become to all the weird quirks about these games.

It also got me thinking about the handheld titles in particular, specifically how everyone seems to have different thoughts on what makes them good or bad, what works and what doesn't, and how they stack up against each other overall. So I posted a couple polls on twitter and thought I'd share them here, too.

So... thoughts on the best of the bunch and which one's the worst?

No we won’t do your homework for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

TheLoneStar posted:

Like Eraqus was a Master, but lost to Terra.

I agree with your point, but all Terra did was distract Eraqus so Xehanort could backstab him.