Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
They should stop "recreating" the Disney movies (badly) and just make you fight the Disney characters. Beating up Peter Pan was the high-light of BBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Primoman posted:

Funny you say that, considering how Aqua was permanently jiggling the entire game. Even on the main menu.

Are you serious? I played that game until my eyes bled and I never noticed. I'm going to be pretty bummed if it's true, I hate that demeaning poo poo, and to put it in a KH game of all things is just :psyduck:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just wanted to gather all the TWEWY remixes in one post since they are so good.

Twister.

Calling.

And of course,

SOMEDAY

I'd rather have a TWEWY sequel than a new KH, to be honest.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 10, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Wait, is 358 going to be included in KH 1.5? That's pretty awesome if that's the case.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I haven't played the original since I beat it when it first came out, and I haven't really felt the urge. This re-release is calling to me, though... Exactly what is included with the Final Mix?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks! Are there any note-worthy new battle abilities or are they just buffs?

EDIT: Cheers! Is the limited edition worth the extra cash?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 12, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I generally dislike the Disney portions of the games since they just feel like soulless versions of the original movies and characters. Goofy, Donald and Mickey är fine, though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Donald's nephews are the worst. Those lifeless stares are TERRIFYING!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I haven't played DDD. How are the TWEWY characters handled?

EDIT: Beauty and the Beast worked nicely since they made the premise really simple and game-serving. "Beast is looking for Belle" = TEAM UP!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dr Pepper posted:

The plot of TWEWY seems to have happened before DDD, so they're after the character development they got. This mainly means that Neku isn't a hilarious jerk to Sora 24/7. They feel in character, overall.

Amusingly enough, some stuff only makes sense if you've played TWEWY, like when Joshua just sprouts angel wings and flies away. :v:

That didn't make much sense in that game either, though :v:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
There are better looking movies and only half of the songs are all that great. The bad guy's motivation and the ending feel rushed and half baked. But the story and characters strikes a chord with a lot of people, myself included, that elevates it into a great family movie. I've probably listened to some of the songs hundreds of times in a dozen different languages.

Basically I think it's greater than the sum of its parts.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 3, 2014

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just told them all I want from KH3 is enemies that explode into green and blue orbs when hit.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm thinking of going through the games again - has S-E said anything about releasing the HD-versions on PS4, or are they PS3 only?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Since KH3 comes out in December I ordered the two PS3 HD-releases to play through the series again (I played KH, KH2 and BBS) when they first came out.) Is there anything I should know about the HD-versions or the other games that come with the collection? Or is everything in the OP?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 12, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

HGH posted:

When using Drive forms in KH2 and D-Links in BBS, pause the game, because the HD remakes made it so the game has to actively load for several seconds whenever you use them. By pausing you can let them buffer so that enemies and attacks won't be moving around you while you're waiting for it to load.
Also it's just KH2.8 in December, KH3 seems like it's gonna be far into 2017.

Thanks - that gives me more time to complete the games! I don't play a lot these days. I remember not using Drive forms a lot at all - are there any particularly useful forms?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks for the tips! I might try critical mode but I'm pretty sure the later bosses would push my poo poo in. I remember having some real trouble defeating the Org XIII members.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

HGH posted:

Here's that Shadow tornado boss fight, although it's more like a worm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQjf8d0yptg

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6H7ViAdmRU

Terra looks creepy as heck in that graphical style.
I can't wait to see Master Xehanort's wrinkly plastic face.

The Heartless have evolved it seems!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

UberJumper posted:

Alright so is unchained memories and 358 worth playing? Or should i just skip the two other games on the disk and go straight to Kingdom Hearts 2?

I'd say play through the prologue of KH2 and then play Unchained Memories to (sort of) make sense of it all.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
On the topic of KH Final Mix. I'm playing on Proud difficulty and the first Cerberus fight is pushing my face in. Any tips for how I should handle the fight? It seems like even if I wait for him to stop attacking I can barely get a single attack in before he attacks me again.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Oxxidation posted:

I just cleared that at level 18 or so. Honestly, Cloud gave me more trouble.

You can only realistically attack him when he lowers his heads and starts trying to chomp you - when that happens, disable lock-on and just start spamming jump attacks at medium distance (not so close that the momentum of your attacks will carry you onto his back). The hitbox on his bites is huge, so you'll be constantly parrying and disorienting him, allowing you to get more hits in. Thunder does okay damage as well, but you should probably save for MP for Cure.

Alright, thanks. I don't have cure yet but I'll give it a shot.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
^^^Thanks! Now I remember the one thing that annoyed the poo poo out of me during my playthrough of KH back in the day. Going back to the town to restock i a PAIN due to not having warp yet.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I had to beat the jungle level first for the cure magic but I beat Cerebus. It's amazing how much more fun the game becomes once you've got access to all types of magic, a summon, and some special moves.

The jungle level was pretty tedious since they expect you to run through the whole thing like three times, but it's worth it for the :wtf: boss fight. I wish they had played around more with how they could combine the Disney baddies with the heartless because most if time they just look like normal without utilizing the KH setting so to speak.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Agrabah Lion Cave Entrance thing on Proud difficulty was an annoying rear end in a top hat. Both Jafar fights were much easier!

Is there any reason to bother with the gummy stuff at all beyond traveling to the next stage and then just warp everywhere?

The Winnie the Pooh segments are some of the highlights of the game IMHO since the characters actually sound like themselves and aren't caught up in Nomura's bullshit. Why on earth is TARZAN of all people talking about the concept of light and darkness?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 21, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I understand your point and agree somewhat. Sometimes it's just too painful to enjoy though.

My favorite is the scene in 2 where they try to make you believe Goofy would die from blunt trauma. It's great, and Mickey's angry "They will pay!" is beautiful. But the best part is fans admitting they cried during that scene. I suppose it might work if the player doesn't know anything about Goofy outside of KH...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I though "Proud" Ursula was annoying...

THIS IS GONNA GET UGLY THIS IS GONNA GET UGLY THIS IS GONNA GET UGLY THIS IS GONNA GET UGLY
THIS IS GONNA GET UGLY THIS IS GONNA GET UGLY THIS IS GONNA GET UGLY THIS IS GONNA GET UGLY

But Antisora is giving me far more trouble. Are there any good strategies against it?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep at it.

All I remember from BbS is annihilating everything with Aqua's magic attacks.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Still working on my Proud playthrough of KHFM. I finally defeated Antisora but had to abuse strike raid to stop Hook from turning Sora into paste. Next up is Riku and I'm a little afraid...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It's dumb that you find a bunch of good shields in chests but the only rods you find reduce magic.

Also you can get Aerora from the Yellow Trinity in Neverland which you should definitely get before Hollow Bastion. Otherwise the Hercules Cup becomes super difficult.

I had to defeat Hercules to get the yellow trinity. Did you mean the Hades cup?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 29, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Oxxidation posted:

Hook is vulnerable to Stop and that's the only way I managed to beat him down. Dapper son of a bitch gave me more trouble than Ursula.

Riku sucks as badly as you remember, especially if you don't have Slapshot because he's fast enough to bounce out of the way of your normal swings most of the time and his teleport-stab spamming will rapidly wear you down in the final phase. Just pack a full suite of Elixirs and equip Ars Arcanum if you're an idiot like me who went Staff, because you'll need it to actually get any solid hits in.

Thanks - I'll try Ars Arcanum or just spam strike raid which got me through the Hercules cup (Cloud is really boring to fight). I went with staff since I went with sword last time around. I've never gotten Stop to work well. It seems like bosses wake up the second you strike them. I read the time frozen depends on you max HP but it doesn't seem to make any difference in this case.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

All the heartless become more powerful after your first trip to Hollow Bastion, including those in the earlier tournaments.

Ah, didn't know about the tournaments! Thanks, perhaps I should try to solo them before HB.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I beat Proud Riku on my first try, even if he was pretty annoying during his last life bar.

In my hubris I immediately tried fighting Zisa and was beaten in a single hit. So... what's the best way of relatively painlessly grinding levels? I went for the staff and dropped the sword.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Augus posted:

Man, KH2FM Roxas is like the best boss fight ever.
This game is still awesome but I'm noticing a lot more flaws this time around, poor level design aside. The main game bosses are a pretty mixed bag and a lot of them are trivial as gently caress.
The Organization fights are as good as KH gameplay gets though, hope we get more great boss design in KH3 now that the series is back to a major big-budget console format.
Also I literally just noticed for the first time that when Mulan is dressed as Ping, she has completely separate attack animations where she trips over herself and stuff. That's really going the extra mile.

Which difficulty are you playing on? I remember having tons of problems with the Org XIII fights on Normal, but I'm thinking of playing the game on Proud when I'm done with the first HD-collection.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Augus posted:

Critical. I pretty much always play KH games on the highest difficulty available.
The Organization fights can be very tough for people accustomed to the low difficulty levels (and the general low difficulty of KH2) because they make way more use of actual game mechanics than the normal bosses by far. Demyx and Xaldin are huge roadblocks for a lot of players because Demyx has harsh counter attacks for people who don't back off after a combo or two and Xaldin has a shield around him that you're supposed to bypass using a Reaction Command that becomes available when you block his attacks, and a lot of people will get that far in the game without ever touching the guard ability. The big problem with KH2 is that it has a really good combat system but does an absolutely terrible job at teaching you how to use it.

Cool, thanks! I'm playing Proud mode in KHFM and right now the Hades cup is kicking my rear end. I've making slow progress though so hopefully I'll be done with the game this sommer.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Ice Titan was surprisingly simple, but annoying. With MP Rage he literally couldn't kill me as long as I remembered to heal. Trying to block the icicles was extremely frustrating though. The camera made it at times almost impossible to see the icicles at all, so I had to time it by sound most of the time. I can't imagine grinding experience that way unless there's a sweet spot in the arena where you can actually see what you're doing. I had no memory of the camera being so bad so I was quite surprised.

Sephiroth is as hard as I remember him, though!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Nah, you can definitely block them. I just did! The camera just looooooves to make Sora block your view, though!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's been a while since I've been really mad at a game but the clock tower boss gets really frustrating if you've whittled down its health to green only to realize both you and Goofy/Donald are out of MP and the fight is now unwinnable. Twice.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks, I already tried that which is how I got that far in the first place. He sure helped during the colloseum fights, even if I still can't finish the Hades cup time trial. I'll bring a couple more elixirs to finish the fight, even if they hurt to use.

Also, who came up with the synthesis requirements? I'd rather pull put my own teeth than defeat all the new FM enemies, not to mention doing it multiple times.

Edit: Finally took it down. Now on to the desert boss.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 6, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Don't feel bad using Elixirs on those fights. That's what they are meant for. Just don't ever give them to Donald or goofy because they are idiots

For some reason Donald doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as Goofy, though. Perhaps because he usually goes down before he has a chance to use anything. But, yeah I never give them anything but potions and only during early boss fights.

BTW, turns out that standing by the colosseum entrance makes it much easier to hit the projectiles the Ice Titan throws at you, and I'm making 2 lvls a fight at the moment. Pretty decent, even if It's really annoying to have to grind to lvl 90 to unlock 2nd chance to stand a chance against Sephiroth.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I grinded the Ice Titan until I got to level 90 - it took much less time than I thought it would - and then I proceeded to beat Sephiroth without getting hit by his instant death attack (the reason I needed second chance) even once haha. Oh well.

Beat the game and I have to say it's still a really good game. I think I even enjoyed it more than back when it was first released. It's just a shame the plot takes a jump off a cliff after you beat Malificent. It's a sign off what's to come, I suppose.

I started up the Chain of Memories remake directly afterwards and Sora turning +20 years old overnight is the funniest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Oxxidation posted:

Heartless Angel isn't a 1-hit kill, it just knocks you down to 1 HP and 0 MP every time. I blew him out around level 80 and got hit with it a lot in his final phase.

Huh that's what I get for reading online guides I guess! Thanks.

Also, the last phase of the Ansem fight is more Final Fantasy in a 3D action game than even Dissidia. It's awesome.