Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Real talk: Birth by Sleep is the best game in the series, and it's not even close :colbert:

Kingdom Hearts had a sense of charm and fun, replayability, exploration, a coherent story and bearable dialogue but the gameplay was not that great and poo poo like the Gummi Ships the camera and certain bosses was annoying as hell. KH2 made gameplay more fun but lacked the charm the first game had, with the Disney worlds being completely pointless to the main story and a story itself that just fell apart at the end. I never played 358/2 Days but I heard it was pointless too so whatever. Birth by Sleep has the best gameplay in the series thus far with the Deck Command system, more interesting protagonists than Sora some badass villains and a story that makes sense. We'll see how "Dream Drop Distance" (seriously Square Enix?) goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
I never played standard :colbert: but at least in Proud it is a flat difficulty throughout for regular Unversed. Where are you at right now and who are you playing with? I'd say the early game can be really difficult if you dont play cautiously but it gets easier after 2-3 worlds after you get more HP/Curagas/stronger commands. If youre getting killed by bosses a ton of Proud thats no biggie just level up more but if its regular monsters well that's no good. Some of the bosses on Proud are really goddamned hard so if you're having trouble beating random enemies than I might go with Standard.

Keep in mind its very hard to unlock the secret ending on Standard mode if you care about that.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Like everyone else I didn't play Kingdom Hearts: Recoded so I missed this secret ending which is supposedly the prelude to this Dream Drop Distance poo poo. Basically Sora and Riku must become legit Keyblade masters. Slight spoilers if you didn't play Birth by Sleep, but nothing that would ruin the game for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ynCYkJc10I

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Liku posted:

I can't get this to load, it's giving me some bandwidth message.

Same here..guess it's a problem on the uploader's end. Didn't know Google Docs had a bandwidth limit.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
D-Links are generally a lot more useful in the early game (Aqua D-Link has Cure!) when you don't have that many special commands of your own. Once you get to the end game and start Megaflaring and Raging Storming then D-Links are kinda useless

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
I love how everyone here has just embraced the madness and nonsensicality of Kingdom Hearts. I think people had too high of expectations after the original game and were let down by KH2. Now all the Norts and blatant fan service and retcons are approaching critical anime mass but everyones just rolling wit it

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

randombattle posted:

What are you talking about Kairi is probably like the most said word outside of darkness in all of Kingdom Hearts. Seems like every drat game the universe is like WE GOTTA SAVE KAIRI!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd5QZrJDV2U

edit: I really think unless there is a change of plans hoping for worlds like Treasure Planet/Atlantis/The Black Cauldron/The Emperor's New Groove is a pipe dream, because popularity is a huge factor in how they choose the worlds. Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Tarzan, Lilo & Stitch, Cinderella, Peter Pan, etc...are all iconic and/or box office successes. Then there are the iconic films that are unfeasible as worlds (Bambi, Dumbo). Out of the remaining Disney films I think Pocahontas, The Jungle Book, and Robin Hood stand the best chance of making it into future Kingdom Hearts games, given that they are probably the most well known un-used Disney films remaining that could actually work as worlds. However they are running out of worlds, so they could:
1) Tap into Pixar films
2) Tap into unpopular/not as well known Disney films like the ones above
3) Keep using the same goddamn worlds as before like Agrabah and Halloween Town, but with original storylines
4) Use the same goddamn worlds with the same goddamn movie plot retreads.

Or they could do something more drastic like introduce a lot more original worlds or more Square Enix-property worlds. I don't see that happening though.

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 3, 2012

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
As it stands I don't think any of the run of early 2000's Disney box office bombs (I'm talking to you, Treasure Planet, Atlantis: The Lost Empire and The Emperor's New Groove are making it in the Kingdom Hearts series, although they are running out of worlds. I have a feeling they would rather regurgitate poo poo like Halloween Town and Agrabah or start using Pixar worlds before they go for the flops. It's a shame, all 3 of those movies would make pretty cool and aesthetically unique worlds

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Hitler is the 13th Master Xehanort clone

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 5, 2012

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
The Mark of Mastery is an arbitrary qualification exam designed to limit the amount of keyblade masters and enhance the current masters' prestiges. It's a keyblade cartel

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Nomura says you should play Terra/Ven/Aqua. Most people here tend to agree because Terra's story is generally first and once you use Ven & Aqua it's very hard to go back to Terra.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
If Goofy had not spent all of Birth by Sleep being forced to guard Yensid's Tower he would have called out all of Xehanort's shenanigans immediately

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Spergatory posted:

I have never understood this. Literally all you do is meddle. Sora is all up in everybody's business.

The Monroe Doctrine of the Kingdom Hearts world. Sora is Theodore Roosevelt.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
I want a videogame of Young Xehanort traveling through time and recruiting the other 12 Xehanorts

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Grump posted:

Sora's cool because he's so classic Disney. Just a dopey kid that is extremely friendly with no ulterior motives. He just makes you feel good. That also made the scene right before the 1000 heartless fight in KHII so much better and actually made you feel bad for this kid.

This is a reason I don't like Roxas. He's too realistic and acts like an actual person instead of a innocent Disney character. It's really jarring to play as him, coming from Sora.

Warning: spoiler for DDD ahead

I'm sure gamefaqs speculation is not looked upon too highly here but I thought this theory that Sora was going to turn Young Xehanort good through The Power of Friendship would be cool for the characterization as well as the irony of Master Xehanort's grand schemes being foiled by a younger version of himself:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/718920-kingdom-hearts-iii/69387222

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

The Unholy Ghost posted:

How is Frozen and Toy Story levels a "nice to have" feature, they're more like a "put these in and make buckobucks" feature, something they're guaranteed to want to put some effort into.

Personally, I was a bit intrigued by the statement in the article that Kingdom Hearts Chi or whatever would be closely tied to KH3. Makes me actually want to learn a bit more about some crappy mobile game.

Well it's more like a "put the world in and people will buy it regardless of how good the world is" kind of thing, so they don't really have too much of an incentive to make the world that great. I'm sure Pirates of the Caribbean in KHII brought in a lot of fans, and that world sucked

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Well on the one hand Ice Titan imo is the easiest optional boss in the entire series. On the other hand you are older and wiser?

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

On the other hand that is in fact cooler and I always felt that the Vanitas concept should've been used for Sora's heartless (like Xehanort's heartless) instead of the wimpy shadow.

Read a theory a few years back that Vanitas is responsible for Sora's anti-form. No idea why but it sounds cool in my head canon.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
More NPC's really should be in Kingdom Hearts III as to make the worlds not seem so lifeless. Maybe not somewhere like Pride Lands, but in places like Radiant Garden and Twilight Town they should be walking around, even in combat areas. What's been their excuse for not having them before? Hardware limitations?

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
KH2 in general seems to have been rushed to production. Other things that come to mind include the lack of a Roxas boss fight and everything about Pride Lands

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

What about Pride Lands seems rushed?

Stuff like Mufasa and Rafiki's voices just being stock dialogue from the movie and Scar's ghost being an incredibly half-assed recolor suggest the world wasn't very polished, even more so than the other Disney worlds in the game

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Maybe also Chip, Dale, Minnie, and Daisy. If Timeless River became Disney Town, which in turn became Disney Castle, then they never left their world, but still know about other worlds...

Well I'm guessing Mickey told 'em a thing or two, so that's pretty easy to explain away.

edit: Is Country of the Musketeers part of the timeline?

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Allarion posted:

Which again would be a shame considering 3D ended with saying that they would need 7 keyblade wielders and giving Lea and Kairi keyblades. Kairi would even make sense as the tutorial character for KH3.

This was a popular theory after 3D came out, but given the trailers we've seen, I'm leaning towards Teenage Master Eraqus and Xehanort being the playable characters in the beginning.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Would be cool if we had a Marvel or Star Wars optional boss (assuming none of those properties will make it in KH3). Darth Vader megaboss ftw

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

majormonotone posted:

I think one was planned for BBS but was cut

Judging from the code left in the game, development into the Jungle Book world went really far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKGO8-_mPZ4

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
David Gallagher as Riku seems fine, but Haley Joel Osment and Hayden Panettiere's voices have changed...a lot

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
I thought they were getting rid of the command deck for KH3 and the menu is gonna be like KH2

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Re-playing DDD recently made me check out some of the movies on Youtube, and Pinocchio is far more disturbing than I remembered :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgmfV5VLHvs

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

quote:

1) Development is thought of as split into three parts – beginning, middle and end. Part one is 90% complete. Part two is about 60-70%. Part 3 did not get a percentage. Nomura confirms that he is working on “something incredible” for that final world, something he has always wanted to do ever since his Final Fantasy days.

2) 100 people from the Tokyo office are helping out the Osaka team development. They compared developing one whole new world with developing one of the older games.

3) When developing the game, they start with a story board then write the scripts and then they do the animation, which Hollie says is backwards when compared to other game development procedures.

4) They have a dedicated lighting team and dedicated facial animation team.

5) This is the biggest ever Background Music Team that Square has ever had.

6) Rapunzel was kept out of trailers for so long as the team struggled to work with her long hair. There are lots of different ways her hair will be used in battle, and the D23 exclusive “making of” video showed the problems Rapunzel’s hair has brought, such as clipping through the environment.

7) The town from Tangled was shown, and Hollie B speaks highly of the volume of NPC’s that were shown in that area.

8) The Gummi Ship has been split into two parts. There will be an open world style of exploration when flying between worlds, but there will also be battles and combat. There are more enemies to fight when flying the Gummi Ship than ever before.

9) There is a mini-game based on ‘Game and Watch’.

10) Square Enix discussed how they developed each Keyblade, and the challenges each one brought. The Monsters Inc Keyblade, for example, had to feel so true to this world. They made several designs and worked down to two designs, and Nomura chose the final design.

https://www.khinsider.com/news/Playstation-Access-10-New-Things-We-ve-Had-Confirmed-11288

edit: Tangled npc's hereeee

https://twitter.com/khinsider/status/962250424697827328

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
From what I understand Frozen is insanely popular in Japan (google frozen japan for more), I'm not sure you need Disney's insistence as Square Enix would probably want to put it in the game anyways

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_Japan

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Squallege posted:

I'm glad to see that Sora and Riku realized that maybe they should make sure they don't have any straps making an x shape anymore. What if it's another mark of the recusant? :tinfoil:

I just imagine the mark of the recusant being a key plot point, Mickey losing his shirt in the climax of 0.2, and the cape returning in BBS final mix all being the brainchild of Nomura making sure that clothes are closely integrated with the overarching storyline and cutscenes

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
News:
https://twitter.com/SkywardWing/status/997539148482232321

Views:

quote:

“If I had to pick, I am a person more on the dark side like Xehanort and co., I harness the burning anger in my heart into what I create,” the developer wrote, according to SqEx.info‘s translation.

“Kingdom Hearts 3 current development explodes very much in this sense.”

Nomura went on to say that every Kingdom Hearts game is full of challenges; it’s not clear if he meant for himself or for the characters – or both.

“In Kingdom Hearts 3 as well, I am scheming many challenges that Sora and his friends must overcome, because I myself cannot lose either,” he added.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Well the lazy way would to have it be like DDD, you get a bunch of lines of text to read on your own time. BBL time to read 20 paragraphs about what happened in KH Recoded

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Do you think we've seen all they're gonna show of Kingdom Hearts 3 yesterday or are we gonna get more footage during Square's conference?

I want Moana and Zootopia damnit. And Powerline

I think I remember reading somewhere that Nomura said Big Hero 6 was the last movie chosen, which fans have taken to imply that movies like Moana and Zootopia which came out 2 years later won't be in

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06...3c50c0336000101

quote:

Nomura emphasized Kingdom Hearts 3 will deliver some shocking scenes.

"There are going to be a lot of shocking scenes, especially toward the end of the game," he said. "So I think you would definitely need to brace yourselves for them."

One thing fans may hope Kingdom Hearts 3 can deliver on is offering a satisfying wrap-up to the friendships that began the franchise — the trio of Sora, Riku, and Kairi. All will obviously feature in the game, Nomura hopes its depiction of their bonds can offer a realistic sense of how friendships evolve and change over time.

"{Kingdom Hearts is] not too realistic, but I do want my players to grasp a sense of reality from it as well," Nomura said. "For example, I'm sure you had friends when you were young, a good group of friends, but as you grow older things change and it doesn't always stay the same. I think all I can say is please play to the very end and see what happens. But I think [Kingdom Hearts 3] does depict how each character feels about each other in this new storyline."

:ohdear: What does this mean

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

I'm looking forward to this because usually when you see the kh story recap videos posted, it's done in a joking or even mocking manner about how convoluted it is. The official video is going to take itself seriously, can't wait for some narrator to seriously say 'Braig willingly chose to become half-Xehanort'

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Argue posted:

Aladdin and Hercules are on separate planets/worlds/dimensions despite it being established in the Hercules TV series that Aladdin took place before Herc grew up, Mulan explicitly says China, and Beast's Castle is a separate world from City of Bells despite both being in France and Belle being in the crowd in the latter's film.

Disney please fix this I promise you you are not cross contaminating your brands people are going to eat this poo poo up I mean don't you own the loving Avengers

This is probably the best way of doing a reboot after KH3, and making properties like The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and the Nightmare Before Christmas fresh in a KH context.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

In fact, I'm pretty sure the only time he's appeared in the KH series so far was in the mobile game.

lmao never saw this before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd9-z53VVJQ

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

Someone post the quote where Nomura thinks of Sora as his personal enemy.

“I actually don’t sympathize or empathize with Sora at all,” Nomura says. Instead, he relates to the game’s mysterious villains, Xehanort or likely Ansem, anyone who’s fallen prey to their dark natures. “I think I’m closer to those characters, so Sora is like my enemy,” he says. “How I always think of him is I would unleash my attacks on him, and then I draw him in a way that I think he will be able to make a comeback at me. In that sense, I really think that Sora is just like an opposite personality character to who I am.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
nomura is the 13th xehanort