Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm sure this get's asked a million times, but I didn't see anything specifically about it in the OP.

I played KH1 & 2 at release. I was one of the many who was confused as gently caress at release of 2, having no idea what happened because I didn't play Chain of Memories.

I want my wife to be able to experience KH, as I feel she would really like the games. I'm thinking of getting that 1.5+2.5 PS4 release.

So a few questions -

I know a couple of the game are just movies. Are any of the non KH 1/2 games worth dumping a bunch of time into or can I find "movie" versions of those games out there somewhere?

Apparently there's a 2.8 something? How does that fit into this all? If I get this: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/kingdom-hearts-hd-15-25-remix-ps4/ - am I still missing out on some content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bust Rodd posted:

Unless your wife really likes watching incredibly stupid people do stupid things I recommend play 1, watch COM on youtube, play 2, then watch the rest.

DDD isn't fun and BBS is insanely overrated (caveat, I haven't played the remasters, but all the mechanics that make those games nowhere near as fun or action packed as 1/2 are still in place)

Yeah, I guess a lot just depends on how long these games are. If stuff like DDD and BBS are 8-10 hour experiences, then cool. However, if they are 40 hour games, no thanks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Larryb posted:

Wait, there was a planned Gargoyles world? For which game? I know there was going to be a Jungle Book world in BBS and a Pinocchio world in Days (assets from both have been found if you feel like looking them up) at any rate.

gently caress I loved Gargoyles as a kid.

I was thinking recently, it's really odd that Disney has never gone ahead with a live action Gargoyles film. A shame that Jonathan Frakes would be too old for the role now. But you could still get Keith David for Goliath.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So I just picked up the 1.5+2.5 Remix. My wife is going planning on playing through KH1. She has never played a KH game (I played 1 & 2 when I was a teenager). Is standard difficulty fine for a newcomer? Also, what was the best choice for the starting questions? (Sword/Shield/Staff) I can't remember what the benefits were. Does it even master if she's not going for any sort of completionist run?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

The Sword/Shield/Staff determine how each three major stat performs and what abilities are given in what order. Picking the shield gives a boost for defense, giving up the sword weakens attack and so on. I say ditch the staff because magic spells aside form Cure are completely loving worthless aside from two optional bosses anyway. Have her pick the shield and give up the staff. The game is extremely easy, so Standard should be fine.

Good idea. Upping her defense with shield will probably up the ease for her.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Goddamn the controls in KH1 are loving bad. Just put loving jump on X, attack on Square. gently caress man.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

All the KH games have O as jump and X as attack

And that sucks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Is Chain of Memories any fun to actually play or if I'm only in it for story, should I just go watch the 3 hour cutscene compilation?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Burkion posted:

Give it a shot, whichever version you have

If you have fun with it, cool. if not, just move on. Trust me, CoM doesn't have any good cut scenes.

I have the PS4 compilation.

My wife is starting KH1. I remember back when I played the first game, I did not play chain of memories and was really loving confused at the start of Kingdom Hearts 2. I told her that, if anything, I would play through Chain of Memories and then she could pick up again on the second game; otherwise, we can just watch the cut scenes for Chain of Memories.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So, luckily through the 1.5/2.5 remix, Days and Re:coded are just cinematics. How is Birth by Sleep to play?

Also - which order should I be playing these? Or just in release order?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So I’ve been watching my wife play through KH1, and I’ve come to a realization.

Although I loved it as a teenager... I think it might be kind of a bad game.

The controls are hot garbage and half of the worlds are straight trash as well. She just got through the 1-2 punch of Monstro and Atlantica and goddamn those two places are garbage.

She’s really bad with directions in games and KH1 is really bad about not telegraphing where you should be going and most of the worlds are filled with areas that are not visually diverse enough.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Shoren posted:

Atlantica isn't really any worse than the other worlds in KH1, but Monstro is hands down the worst world in the series. Every room looks basically the same and there's no telling where one door will lead. In fact, some doors drop you right back into the starting room with no way back to where you were without trudging through the path you just took. It's a whole lot of bullshit even for people with really good senses of direction.

Swimming controls are never good in video games. Swimming + combat is a bad time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

sout posted:

That goofy "look out!" is giving me some wonderful "get up on the hydra's back" vibes

Holy gently caress. I haven’t played Kingdom Hearts 2 since launch and I just got the most vivid PTSD flashbacks from 13 years ago.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Maybe he's the plot of Phase 2 of Kingdom Hearts.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

ive been super bored with my PS4 lately and my only Platinum is Bloodborne so im pre-ordering KH3 and Platinuming every game in a row.

don't try to talk me out of it...

please...

Dude. DUDE. I have KH1.5+2.5 ReMIX (my wife is just playing through KH 1 & 2 with me filling in story gaps) and I'm contemplating doing the same thing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

And play in release order! Not disc order. On the disc, they want you to see 358/2 days before KH2 which is baffling.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

It's amazing how much better KH2 is to KH1 though.

I'll take Atlantica 2: The Musicial to Atlantica 1: Swimming Controls for Combat Suck and the Camera is Terrible.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Well that's too bad, because swimming and underwater combat are back for KH3.

Yeah and I bet it won’t play like poo poo like KH1 does. KH1 is just all around kinda a bad game that plays like poo poo in all possible ways.

The gap in playability between KH1 and KH2 is like the grand loving canyon.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

platforming is worse by a huge margin, and as for character design it's disqualified by the presence of Org XIII alone

the improvements in combat weren't enough to make up for how stodgy and lifeless everything else felt

Org XIII are cool and my friends.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Having never played a KH game I'm going to watch kingdom hearts lore videos. I think there was on in particular that came out after the e3 announcement that was long as gently caress

on a scale of Pong to Dark Souls how obtuse is this poo poo going to be

Watch the pcp university lecture.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Finished Birth By Sleep. Melding is kinda weird and I hate that enemies were just immune to hitstun at times but still came away liking it well enough. Just gonna look up the secret ending tho.

Was told that I could pass up Re: Coded entirely and save myself 3 hours so just wanted to double check on that.

Also on the next disc should I do 0.2 first or DDD? I figure 2.8 is going to be last.

Just go to wikipedia. Look up the Kingdom Hearts release order. Do things in that order. This isn't rocket science.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Airspace posted:

Hi, Kingdom Hearts thread.

One of my earliest purchases for my new PS4 was the mess of Kingdom Hearts re-releases, giving me access to KH, KH2, Chains, and Birth By Sleep.

My question is: Should I start with Kingdom Hearts (first game released) or Birth By Sleep (apparently first game chronologically?)?

Play release order. Not chronological order. Always.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Just play them straight down the line the PS4 gives you. That's the best way to do it.

Except that puts Days before KH2 which kind of spoils parts of KH2.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Someone write up a Union Cross tutorial so I can get deeper into this poo poo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/kingdomhearts/status/1039167145794523137?s=21

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Um what part of it isn't accurate because I had to rewind and make sure I heard it right that one of the games is a dream sequence that TIGGER is having?? Is that true??

I've literally only ever played 1 and 2. I've never played any of the side games

Also :lol: at that loving x-keyblade or whatever

You should watch the PCP University lecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bo6Cbeq18k

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The keyblade and the x-blade are two different things both pronounced keyblade.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

I watched this.

I watched this...

Simple and clean is the way that you're making me feel tonight.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Gologle posted:

Odds of us fighting Darth Vader?

I thought Nomura said he wasn't planning on ever putting Marvel/Star Wars stuff into Kingdom Hearts - something about only wanting to use IPs that were always Disney or something?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

who is xehanort

Watch the PCP University lecture.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I mean I played it 13 years ago so :shrug:

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bo6Cbeq18k&t=2s

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I’m of the mind that 75% of the way through the game, we’re going to purify Xehanort’s heart and take the fight to the Master of Masters.

Xehanort will become Nathore.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Nomura did say that Sora is going to save everyone.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sounds like the new 14 expansion.

Yeah. That literally is the plot of the new FFXIV expansion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46EGTZzYSVw

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Nomura has said that KH3 is the end of the "Dark Seeker Saga." And that more stories can come after. Also, he has said that so long as there are Kingdom Hearts games, Sora will be the protagonist.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1070748749998235649

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Fuuuuuuuck.

I'm ready to get Norted.