Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Argue posted:

Imagine if it wasn't fake. Then, if they just put KH cameos in Wreck-It Ralph 2, then in KH3 Xehanort could double the number of Xehanorts he's got by visiting a Kingdom Hearts world within the Wreck-It Ralph world.

Sora already cameoed in Wreck-It Ralph. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well, I guess it could just be cowboy with similar color scheme. I'll just stick with my head-canon that Sora has already been in Wreck-It Ralph regardless.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, I don't think she gets added till you finish the game and maybe get the secret movie.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Don't think about it too hard. Lots of poo poo are in Sora's heart, including Kairi for most of KH1. Getting stabbed while Kairi and Ventus are in your heart leads to strange things happening.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Gologle posted:

Of those, you only really should play through BBS.

Hey, Re:Coded was a legitimately fun one, and 3D was just better overall despite the horribly convoluted story.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
You missed practically nothing from Re:Coded. It's just a fun game with barely any story to it, and what story there is practically of no importance overall, hence the very brief mention it got in 3D. Every other game is referenced in 3D quite a bit though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Snix posted:

I like Organization XIII:ssh:
Though I never actually played a whole lot of 358/2 days. It never really clicked for me. I hear it's depressing as hell.

Days is my least favorite game in the series, but at least the character arc it sets up with Axel is nice. Has decent payoff in KH3D anyways especially if you played them back to back like I did (well I technically played BBS in between, but Days will still fresh in my head when I reached 3D). Xion is a bit hit and miss but I wasn't dissatisfied by her arc. Mostly it feels like there's a lot of wasted potential in characterization of the rest of the organization since they're practically noise in the background while the story revolves around eating sea-salt ice cream.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I always liked CoM's plot personally, since Sora's gradual memory loss and his growing desperation was pretty interesting since it delved into his character a bit. There was something very cathartic about having Winnie the Pooh's world being one of the last worlds when Sora has lost about everything, and it being a reminder of what's truly important. Riku's plotline was also decent though it didn't really get its proper payoff til KH3D.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I just always bought the drop upgrade when switching characters since I assumed from the fact it didn't say temporary, it was permanent unlike the other buffs which did say temporary. Never had a big issue with time and dropping after that, even leading to periods where I had too much time since I had done everything I wanted to do on one character, but didn't want to force a switch since that wasted more points potential. Never even used drop-me-nots the entire game. Course, a large portion of the game, I didn't have any munny either since I wasn't converting it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The Nobodies one was already heavily implied by Axel's actions in KH2 though. It's just no one said it straight out till KH3D, so people just took the original definition at face value.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I always got a kick out of when Sora makes a big speech about how his power is friendship, and then the other guy literally goes "Duh!" in KH3D.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Fojar38 posted:

What I meant was that Sora requires constant support from friends in order to be as powerful as he is. If he doesn't have that he's actually pretty scrubby.

Ironically it's Sora's ability to weaponize friendship and win despite not being the chosen one is what leads Xehanort to try to grab his body after giving up on Riku. That and Sora was never instrospective in the first place and depended on his friends to protect him from the darkness.

Personally, KH3D is my favorite game in the series just because I think it has the best designed areas compared to previous games. They're just so much bigger and more interesting compared to the small rooms that previous games had, probably to compensate for flowmotion, which I feel is also pretty rad even if it makes a lot of your standard abilities redundant in early-game. Flowmotion also alleviated a lot of the more aggravating platforming from previous games as well. Also it's just pretty gratifying to use Riku's boss moves from KH1, and managing your pokemondream eater team was an interesting alternative compared to just equipping everything. Course the cons is figuring out how to raise your dream eaters in the first place and the drop mechanic, which I still feel is pretty negligible considering the game lets you buy permanent extenders every time you switch.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Honestly, I half expect Kairi to be your 1st character just so she can be your tutorial character at the beginning, and you get all the others later since they're all vastly more experienced and it would be weird to start them off at level 1 again. 3D and KH2 only managed it through story excuses of dream worlds/waking up from a coma. But yeah, supposedly with 7 chosen keyblade wielders (though there's actually 8, 10 if you want to count Roxas and Xion), you'd assume we'll either have multiple playable characters or we'll be able to manage our party more so instead of just switching out Donald/Goofy for a guest character.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Excels posted:

You know what would have made 3DDD better?

- add some loving npcs to explain poo poo or at least a couple people to TALK to

You say that like NPCs were ever relevant in this series. It was always one of those things that always bothered me about Kingdom Heart's worlds was how they were pretty barren other than maybe a handful of NPCs.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

alcharagia posted:

So I've been giving Kingdom Hearts 3D another try after not liking it the first time, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit more (partially because not playing on Proud Mode means the enemies don't take a year and a half to die and partially because after the point where I stopped the characters' worlds get a lot more distinct from each other- Traverse Town's content reuse was just DIRE.) Is Escarglow's Link attack as Sora as overpowered as it seems? Because I've torn off half of Rinzler's health in one shot with it and I took Lord Kyroo from like 9 and a half health bars to dead in one shot when I ran into him just now in Prankster's Paradise. poo poo's bananas.

Speaking of, where do I get Brilliant Fantasies to make Lord Kyroo? I want a sweet frog king dude.

Probably a link portal if I remember correctly from one of the endgame areas. That might take a while if I remember my farming correctly, since it has to be a specific link portal which isn't guaranteed to be the one that spawns, so then you end up having to drop to the other character, and dropping again to reset the portal spawns. You don't have to do the bonus though, it's just a random normal drop from those specific portals. There's faqs online that list which portals have which mats.

EDIT: Yep, you're not getting many brilliant Fantasies till near the end. They only pop up in Fantasia and the last world for Riku. Thankfully, all the portals in the final world have a chance of dropping it, while you only have a 1/6 chance of getting the portal you want in Fantasia. Course lions are a pain to fight, but you're not on Proud mode anymore so I assume it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 13, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Don't think about it too hard and just roll with it. It's just an excuse to have an Organization XIII that is all Xehanorts.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Considering both Chain of Memories, KH2, and DDD was basically Sora being manipulated into the Organization's plans, I wouldn't exactly call him competent. It just happened to work out in the first two cases before DDD finally rectified that.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Aren't hearts great? Steer us wrong every time.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
On the other hand, it's personally my favorite KH game just because it was the first one that had actual big worlds that didn't feel like rooms connecting to each other. Dream eaters were a decent effort at building a party, that also affected your skill build unlike previous games where you just stacked everything on till you were a god by the end of the game. Also flowmotion is rad and basically got rid of the aggravating platforming tendencies of previous games. The complaint about lack of NPCs always confuses me just because previous KH games never had big populated worlds, usually with a world usually being a bunch of combat zones, and then one area where around 5 Disney/Final Fantasy characters huddle around with filler dialogue if you talk to them. Like the most populated area I can recall was basically that Disney park in BBS since that was basically a theme park full of minigames. Basically, my opinion is that KH worlds have always been lifeless, it's just certain games like Chain of Memories, 358/2, Re:Coded, and 3D it's more pronounced since you don't talk to anyone outside of cutscenes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I just like to think that Kingdom Hearts was Destiny Islands all along just because DI had that weird barrier around it in BBS, and Xehanort just never realized it despite originally living there, and there's probably would be some lesson about hearts or light or friendship or whatever at the end of it all. But yeah, remember that the KH universe that has been literally recreated by children after the Keyblade war destroyed it, so Kingdom Hearts will probably end up being something innocuous.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I have to agree actually. Course, it was also the first KH game I ever played since I was one of those weird kids who never got a PS2, so it was the only KH game I could play. But really, I think it's probably has one of the more interesting story arcs that's not overly convoluted, and fairly decent character development for Sora and Riku. Course, all that character development was then ignored and put on hold for KH2 in favor of slashing skyscrapers and introducing Xehanorts, and didn't really get resolved till KH3D, so that's probably another reason I favor KH3D. I did like KH:ReCoded's take on CoM though, since it basically sped through how hosed up Sora got from losing all his memories.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I really hope KH3 has multiple playable characters since they've set it up to be 7 keyblade wielders vs 13 Xehanorts. It seems a waste if only Sora is playable considering they've been experimenting around with different styles in both BBS and 3D, and technically 358/2 Days, as much as I hate that game.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 10, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, you can get some comedy mileage if you throw Riku into a silly scenario. It just didn't happen that often in KH3D if at all, though him just rolling with it and just following the movie's plot without thinking about it too hard in Tron World amused me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

HGH posted:

Hearts darkness light 13 X 7 Xehanort

KH is what happened. Honestly you could probably make one of those dumb cryptic KH3 trailers using only the above words.

I kind of want to see a cryptic KH3 trailer, only all the words now revolve around ice cream.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The smart thing would be to just make Kairi the first character to play as for the first couple hours to justify having a low level. That's probably too reasonable to expect to actually happen though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Nah, it'll be a new villain whose name is Arumon who had been trying to construct Kingdom Hearts for years, only to have been cast off by Eraqus. He'll strike back with a burning anger from his heart.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I also like 3d over BBS because I like big rooms to bounce around in, and grinding around in Tron is rad.

I still think Re:coded was fun though. Unnecessary but really fun since it had BBS's combat improvements as well as its own little gimmicks.

358/2 days can still go burn in a fire though. The funny thing is going into BBS after 100 percenting days on proud, you will feel like an overpowered God because Days will have built up habits that make you decent at KH combat because Roxas feels really weak in his own game.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 20, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Excels posted:

even Days was kind of pointless plotwise, since Xion's existence was tied to people remembering that she existed at all, so once she died everyone just forgot the whole thing
To be fair, she did pop up a few times in 3D, since everything and everyone is jammed into Sora's heart. She might show up again as they're figuring out how to get Ventus/Roxas out.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Augus posted:

Not only is it pointless though, the setup is completely stupid and nothing of interest actually happens besides recycling KH1 plot lines

I thought the abridged version of Chain of Memories in reCoded was neat, especially considering that CoM was already technically recycling KH1. Though to be fair, you can have Data Sora screw things up and get alternate endings in that segment and it obviously fucks with his head, which was an interesting way of retelling Sora's head getting screwed with.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Use the dream eaters from the AR cards that come with the game. You can also Google the cards online and get them that way. Those particular dream eaters have a pretty decent set of abilities until you figure out how to make better ones. Also buy extenders after every drop. They are not temporary buffs so it'll add up over time so you won't be switching characters too often.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What he is saying is, either drop before a boss fight and then fight the boss later with a full drop meter, or use a drop-me-not or drop-me-never right before bosses.

I think that only happened to me once, and it happened at the start of a boss battle so it wasn't a big issue other than me being momentarily confused about what I was doing when I switched back. Seriously, buy extenders. By end-game, there was a point where I was just waiting for the drop to happen with nothing to do because my time limit had gone up pretty high, and I didn't want to progress the story yet, so it was either drop right away and lose out on getting drop points or wait it out.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

John Lee posted:

whoa whoa whoa hold the loving phone

Can anyone else confirm this? This sounds like HUUUUUGE information.

Actually, since it's been ages since I played it, it might be misinformation on my part. Checking my copy, they're actually called link decelerators which slow down the gauge. The text doesn't say they're temporary though so I always bought them. I just never had issues with having too little time to do things by mid-game.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, I just found that too since I was curious if someone did look into that. It was just one of those little things I wondered about because it's the only one that doesn't say the effects disappear when you drop, while all the other buffs do say they last till you drop. So maybe I just let placebo effect fill in the rest of the time since I don't recall ever actually using Drop-me-nots.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Pureauthor posted:

Will Terra find some way to screw up in KH3?

I joked with my friend that they should grab Terra's Armor and just use it as a Xehanort detector, since it thought Sora was Xehanort, and just drop it into worlds and let it wreak havoc until it was done. Really hope they do something with the 7 keyblade wielders thing they have set up though, since it seems a waste to say that, only to have Sora be the only playable character.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Gologle posted:

It will turn out that, through some nefarious plot involving Xehanorting, Sora's body now contains the hearts of 7 keyblade wielders, and Yen Sid's magic allows him to transform into each of them with their own abilities. Boom. Mind blown.

And yet still very plausible by Kingdom Heart standards.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Fojar38 posted:

It attacked Xehanort because Sora is using Terra's keyblade, which he left to Riku.

Yeah, and since Sora was not Riku, its first assumption was that Sora was Xehanort who somehow got that keyblade. Look, it's a silly thought, but I just like the idea that Terra's armor always goes berserk at the smallest sign of Xehanort.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Thumbtacks posted:

I feel like I missed all the games that "explain" the "plot"

Theoretically aren't there also heartless versions of the organization? Do we ever deal with those somehow?

personally I just want to see yen sid appear out of nowhere like yoda and bust out some ridiculous moves to save sora and Mickey in kh3

He can be to Mickey what Mickey is to sora

Theoretically there should be heartless versions, but it doesn't really matter anymore since they all got revived which is only possible if both their heartless and nobody die, so I guess their heartless were just random mooks other than Ansem.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Gologle posted:

Namine is a gaping plot hole big enough to sustain at least one more game after KH3. Suffice to say, she is a ghost in every possible sense of the word.

You need to let that go already and just go with the simplest explanation of her just being Kairi's Nobody who exists through overly convoluted bullshit.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Kh 3d spoilers which I probably should have spoiler tagged. People were mentioning Lea in KH3 though so I dunno. It's a Disney game, no pretty people are gonna die other than maybe Gaston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

bobjr posted:

Didn't 2 even mention when you kill a heartless then a nobody the original comes back? Or was that a later game/final mix addition?

It was a KH3D addition since it became an actual plot point in 3D. Basically, just like Chain of Memories, a bunch of story progression happens in 3D so jumping from KH2 straight to KH3 will probably be confusing, especially with all the BBS backstory going on.