Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Amppelix posted:

Which Ansem? Although judging by that line it's KH1

Billy Zane played Ansem/Xehanort's Heartless in KH1 and never again. Richard Epcot's decent, but he just can't fill Zane's shoes. Shame.

"Darkness conquers ALL WORLDS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I played one round of it and it was a confusing board-gamey mess where I wasn't sure of the end goal whatsoever. BBS was a great game but it had way too many terrible minigames, almost as bad as KH2.

I'm pretty sure the objective of 'Gather enough CP then return to the goal' is not a very difficult objective to understand.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

They're broken for most of the storyline bosses because you're invincible while actually firing.

Most/all postgame bosses know how to counter it.

quote:

Don't some bosses have attacks that are literally impossible to avoid without using a well-timed Shotlock, or am I just lovely and guarding and dodging?

The only boss that might fit the bill is Terra vs. Zack, and even then it's doable with proper use of the dash.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well, depending on how dirty you want to fight there's an AI exploit where if you stand behind a rock VLS basically forgets the concept of going around things and attacks you futilely through the the stone.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well, DDD is the one to continue the story, and before that BBS was pretty much a prequel and entirely it's own thing.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Just a heads up - the next Jump features a 'Symphony of Sorcery' world for KH3DS, which is a Sorcerer's Apprentice world. Riku is seen interacting with Yen Sid's book and with Apprentice Mickey commanding brooms.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Chernabog!

Hopefully they get a better remix of Night on Bald Mountain this time.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The best members of the Org. are the ones nobody pays any attention to.

Luxord is all class.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well the traps he sets for you are timing based, so... kind of? Not really.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

In her case I think it's more the corset than anything.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Trauma Tank posted:

I remember giving the first Kingdom Hearts game a go sometime after it first came out and not getting very far with it, but I have just ordered a copy off Amazon(and a new PS2 video cable:argh:) and am gonna try again.

I've looked at a couple of LPs and they always seem to start by choosing the shield and sacrificing magic, is this a massive advantage for some reason? I usually like to throw magic around like it's going out of style in any game that I can, so I'd choose the staff and sacrifice the sword.

Any combination is viable (and in fact choosing the Wand in KH1 is the only way to get maximum everything in stats), it's just an arranging of stats (and in KH2, the order in which you learn Abilities from levelling).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I was really hoping that the "super-hard optional boss that's a cameo from FF" in KH2 was going to be Kefka but no, we got lame-rear end Sephiroth again.
The Kingdom Hearts games need more appearances from FF 1-6 but I guess they aren't anime enough to make the cut. In fact, if there is NOT a character/reference to FF13 in KH3 I'll be shocked.

Nomura has gone on record to say that he does not feel comfortable redesigning characters that were never designed by him in the first place, especially Amano's stuff. Dude is a massive Amano fan.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Primoman posted:

Even though he did this anyway in Dissidia.

So I guess he's comfortable enough now?

Nomura bent over backwards to ensure that original designs were almost 100% adhered to in Dissidia. Compare, say, Amano's Kefka to Dissidia Kefka.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

kthegreat posted:

Okay, so I started Re:CoM today and despite playing every other KH game I have never played Chain of Memories in either of it's forms.

Is there anything I should know about playing this game? I can tell the battle system will take a little time to get used to.

Stacks 0s on the other end of your deck so you can break any Sleights if/when they show up.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

ummm you cannot choose the keyblade, the keyblade chooses you.

Oh please. Just a little bit of HEART POWER and they'll have thet sorted out in no time.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Liku posted:

Ha, this is the lamest poo poo. A secret boss which probably references the most minor of Disney shorts. Wonderful.

A secret boss that is not a reheated FF villain or a preview for their increasingly stupid and nonsense plot, and is in fact a Disney cameo, and you call it lame.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I think he just recovers 2 bars of health. The cutscene is just a fakeout.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I think you mean playing some BbS.

Also I heard DDD's framerate gets back in Pinocchio's world due to it being a carnival setting. No firsthand experience yet, of course.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

LemonLimeTime posted:

Would anybody wanna start a TWEWY thread? I'm actually curious if anybody has had as frustratingly hard of a time finishing the after game side missions as I have/want to still finish them.

I'm pretty sure there is actually a TWEWY thread.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I like Marluxia. He totally rocks that pink scythe.

Luxord is cool too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

SnakesRevenge posted:

Can someone spoil for me why these scenes can not possibly be presented on a single screen? I really don't understand why there is no way to do these particular scenes in a comic panel style/other cinematography trickery, yet everyone is chiming in that it would be ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE.

So, uh, what does 'comic panel style' mean?

Transparent overlay might work like one guy earlier suggested, but there's one of the dual-screen cutscenes that's almost identical top and bottom except for one element that is, of course, crucial.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

Is there a reason why Sora looks so young again? I wouldn't mind his voice sounding different if he actually looked older.

Because it's a dream. Also HEART POWER.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Black Feather posted:

Is it just me or is Critical Mode on KH3D far more brutal that on other games? Critical on BBS was so easy, and I didn't expect it on KH3D to be different. Oh, how wrong I was...

Critical in KHBbS was annoying because ultimately it just made the boss fights longer without proportionately increasing risk or anything. What are the changes from Proud to Critical in KH3D?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Black Feather posted:

I actually thought that sounded pretty lame.

Riku's putdown of Ansem in CoM is still my favourite.

"I took all the power you had to give and still lost to Sora. I'm not impressed."

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Good lord, how do I beat the final boss of Tera's story in BBS (I'm assuming it's the final one anyway, you fight him in Tera's armor)? I can get him down to about half health by staying away and playing conservatively, but then he just starts healing constantly. If I get up close he does a bunch of combos that can't be interrupted and my block doesn't last through the entirety of. 90% of the time when I initiate an attack he just blocks and counters it.

Equip the Counter Hammer skill and abuse it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think it's clear at this point Square doesn't care about the Disney side anymore and only uses new worlds when its hand is forced.

Saying this immediately after the release of KH 3DS seems an odd choice.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I had to look this up, and now I want to rewatch that movie (it owns)

That's the 40 Thieves one, right? Yeah, awesome movie.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Regardless of how easy/difficult it is to work around, the Drop mechanic appears to be a fundamentally stupid one. What would be wrong with simply having Sora finish one world, then switching to Riku, or whenever the plot mandates instead of at arbitrary times during gameplay?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Is someone here hating on Maleficent? She's pretty much the only Disney villain who had the chops to be downright scary.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The best part of Sleeping Beauty is how it is the story of three magic grandma fairies against a hell-witch and the girl and the prince are basically there to pad screen time.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

What's going to happen is this:

They mentioned 7 of Light, 13 of Darkness and then mentioned a Keyblade (or blades?) of Heart. The 7 Lights are going to be Riku, Kairi, Lea, Terra, Aqua, Ven and Mickey and then Sora is going to have the Keyblade of Heart to justify why he is the protagonist despite being entirely inept and everyone having to save his rear end constantly.

Let's be fair now. Every single protagonist character in this series has hosed up and has been in need of saving at one point or another.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Christopher Lee is old. He is really, really, really old and his health isn't the greatest. To my understanding he's been during down pretty much any acting role which can't actually come to him. He's playing Saruman again in The Hobbit only because Peter Jackson specifically went out of his way to accommodate him.

Being reminded of how old and frail Christopher Lee is is always a :smith: moment.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Liar Lyre posted:

Hey, is BbS good enough to justify the purchase of a psp? I might get a few other games and load all of my PSOne games on it, but mostly I want it for BbS.

It's a good game if that's what you're asking. But I don't think it justifies a system all on its own.

The PSP has plenty of awesome games though!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

I was under the impression that you're invincible during a lot of them? They might not be particularly powerful, but they're quick and generally easy to use.

No, no, no, no, NO.

Flowmotion is a terribly implemented mechanic.

Easy to activate by accident (aka whenever you dodge roll into a wall)
No way to quickly cancel it (either fly through the air until the charge lets out or land on the ground and wait a second)
No invincibility AND you don't get staggered
Attacks have ridiculous windup times (except for the one for fighting big Dream Eaters)
And you cannot use Commands while in Flowmotion.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ShadeofDante posted:

Ugh. I'm playing only Proud mode on BBS and I'm getting my rear end kicked on Terra's story.

I tried going to Mount Olympus at level 18 but DARK Zack's loving opening move destroys me in one hit. I go to Deep Space to try that out instead and notPikachu is a little more bearable but I'm doing almost no damage to him. Do I really just have to go grind for a while? :sigh:

Make sure you don't have Sonic Impact or whatever that double-dodge move is on Terra. It does nothing but screw him over.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I want to say that they really hit out of the park with 3DS' soundtrack. The battle musics in particular are fantastic.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Billy Zane was so awesome. The part where he goes "every light must fade. Every heart return to DARKNESS!!!" is delivered so awesome. Was there any explanation why he wasn't Ansem in future games?

Not a big enough role to be worth paying Zane for, I guess.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Stack your high level cards at the front end, put 3 or so 0 cards at the back for quick breaking.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Terper posted:

That's his first boss, right? Just jump on the railings so you Flowmo, then attack. It does ridiculous amounts of damage.

Nah, the first boss is the Hockomonkey thing. Wargoyle is the Hunchback world boss.

For Riku's case, hop onto the air. The boss' attacks all become laughably easy to dodge once you're airborne. A few ranged commands (Strike Raid, Fire, whatever) will set you on your way to killing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I just got the significance behind Riku's taunt when he faces the Anti-Black Coat Nightmare near the end of the game.

He's Sora's Spirit Dream Eater, of course he's literally what nightmares fear. (Or in Japanese version, he actually says 'I'll swallow you whole')