Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Terper posted:

H-huh? :psyduck: Vanitas is literally a blob of darkness, isn't he? When was he not insane?

Basically three things:

Vanitas is permanently connected to Ventus, so he gets to feel all the love and friendship Eraqus, Terra and Aqua are showering on him while his 'Master' is basically putting him through training from hell.

Vanitas cannot control the creation of his Unversed. They spawn from him whenever he feels strong emotion, so Xehanort basically ensured he would be feeling resentment and anger 24/7 to spawn more Unversed. Furthermore, whenever any Unversed are destroyed, he feels their pain and anger.

Like the Nobodies, Vanitas is constantly feeling the ache of being an incomplete being. Hence why he really wants to recombine with Ventus.

That aside, I assume the standard way of grinding Fantasies is to keep doing Link Portals? Brilliant and Prickly Fantasies included?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Hi. I haven't played any KH games. Draw me a roadmap?

My rough plan right now is KH1 to KH2 to BBS to 3D. I hear those are the best ones.

KH1 has aged pretty badly, KH2 is just aggressively mediocre in terms of gameplay.

BbS has fantastic gameplay, 3DS isn't quite as good but still up there.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The methods for using Magic and special attacks were/are clunky and unintuitive. And also the bad platforming tends to be a pretty big deal in the game since they emphasized it so much.

It's still overall a good game, but... eh, wouldn't say great.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It gets a little better in the second set of worlds, but, uh, mostly Dream Eaters.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Xaldin. Everyone loving hates Xaldin, with good reason. They don't spam reflect enough :v:

Also, the bosses get slightly better in 3D; Sora's boss in the Grid is loving fantastic. His boss in Country of the Muskateers is good, too. And so is his boss in Symphony of Sorcery... Riku gets completely shafted on bosses until the very end. Although, I kinda like his version of Wargoyle better. Hockomonkey Mage can suck it, though.

Ask me how disappointed I was when I got to his Symphony of Sorcery boss.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

173 x 2 = 346

You're not even halfway in, buddy. :colbert:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I think it's stupid design to have to design mandatory boss fights around those optional Abilities myself.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

My strategy for boss fights is to spam Balloonga.

Balloonga is awesome. Best spell series to have been added to Kingdom Hearts.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

CloseFriend posted:

Days feels to me like the biggest gap between concept and execution in any game I've ever played. "Play as Organization XIII?! Sign my rear end up!" A few days later: "Oh dear God, make this loving dull, repetitive game end now!" Every time I play it, putting it down and perusing that LP sounds better and better. In fact, I just might, because I want to play the other games instead. I haven't played Re: Coded, BBS, or KH3D yet, but those are all at least more fun, varied, and better looking than Days, right?

Re:Coded has a better battle system at the cost of a worse everything else, BbS is the best KH game to date, the KH3D like BbS except not quite as good.

So yeah.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I liked Deep Jungle's music.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Terra has the lamest dodge 'upgrade'.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It's a shame that they got rid of the fusion system in favour of the Dream Eaters for KH3D. I don't actually mind the Dream Eaters and getting commands from them, but it's nowhere near as good as how BBS did it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Thunder Dash or whatever it was called. So good.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I feel like I'm missing something regarding the Dream Eaters. Right now I'm on my third world and I'm still using the Bow Meow and Yogi Ram I made during the tutorial segments, and I've unlocked a bunch of stuff and the game isn't particularly hard, but I feel like I'm still not using them to their full potential. Are there any particularly powerful or interesting Dream Eaters I could create? If I remove a DE from my party, can I still use the commands it taught me?

Active commands can be used once you unlocked them. And new Dream Eaters are the primary way to get new Commands. So yeah, get to fusing.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

If you have food items those also boost LP when you feed your Spirits.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Sora has the better Links by a long shot, but Riku has better exclusive Commands.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I've never played any of the other KH games so I don't know how involved he is in their plots, but it feels like DDD's protagonist is Riku, through and through. Ending spoilers He's the guy who goes through the most challenges, the most growth, and in the end, he's the one who saves the day and becomes an official Keyblade Master

Well the plot in KH1, 2, CoM and 358/2 took big steamy shits on his character development time and time again so I guess it's only fair he gets it here.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I wonder if they'll release a remix OSt or anything along those lines.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

If I had a throne, a fancy crown, and an awesome supowerpower-granting magic weapon, I'd be smug too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

You should play the Japanese version where the fact that he is pink (which is sorta like red) allows him to go 2 times faster.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I got every ability from every Dream Eater. I suck.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Wonder if they'll release an OST in that case.

Probably not, but welp.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also Flowmotion snaps the game in two like a brittle twig.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I'm pretty sure the Xion fight would have held more weight if her taunts during the fight weren't absolutely terrible.

Actually she should just have been silent for the whole thing.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Seriously, long combos suck in Kingdom Hearts - it just delays you getting to the important finishing blow.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ActionZero posted:

I have a PSP and a copy of Birth by Sleep in the mail to me as I type. Anything not spoilery I should bear in mind going into it?

Recommended play order is Terra -> Ventus -> Aqua.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Yes, yes! Let the Darkness within you fester!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ActionZero posted:

Terra continues to listen to bad guys way too much

Well, they saved the best for last.

quote:

, off to Neverland.

Like this, and what comes after.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Does anyone have a link to this trailer? Google is bringing me a trailer from February that I didn't know existed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-PkKDD5RHE

E: ^^^ Thanks!

EE: Why does the new trailer say "now in development" and the old trailer say Q4 2013?

Becuse SE have realized their production practices suck rear end.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

darealkooky posted:

KH3 is going to be the end of this series finally, right?

Guess I should find some way to play all those portable games so I know what the gently caress is happening, hopefully they'll make a second compilation

It's the end of Sora's story, for what it's worth.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Because if there's one thing Aqua has a good track record with, it's solving Xehanort related issues.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Her competition in BbS is Terra, who spends his time falling for the most glaringly obvious bad guy plots ever, and Ventus, who just wanders around being confused and spouting about Friendship for the majority of the game.

Aqua wins pretty much by default, and it sure doesn't hurt that she's the one who Gets poo poo Done, both in the Disney worlds and the overall plot.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

No, Heartless were pretty stupid from the start once they 'clarified' that the Heartless are hearts and Nobodies are... um, bodies.

At least Dream Eaters is an accurate descriptor of the species. They inhabit and feed on people's dreams.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Or maybe if you hate trying to do platforming with KH's floaty as hell jumps.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

To be absolutely fair about 358/2 Days, the people you spend the most time with (Roxas and Xion) actually do have emotions because they different and special from the rest of the gang so them moping is probably actually happening.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think you need second chance to survive Sephiroth's send heartless angel move or whatever it's called?

Or you can just hit him and knock him out of his cast.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I don't see how gameplay is a valid argument given that BbS and DDD all have better gameplay than KH1 or 2. Also they have plenty of new worlds too so :confused:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Neku's world got eaten by the heartless. Joshua survived, grabbed the sou/hearts/whatever of Neku and co., and escaped to the dream worlds to hang out until his own world got restored.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

How else would we have Master Xehanort giving us an impromptu lesson on how to pronounce the Greek alphabet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Thus far we have established that Everyone = Sora.

Furthermore, we have established that Everyone = Ansem = Xehanort.

Therefore, logic dictates that the reveal of KH3 is that Sora = Xehanort.