Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

fromagex posted:

I have tried every incarnation of the PS2 games in hopes of getting hooked. Final Fantasy and all the Disney stuff interests me to no end. But the convoluted story, the poor use of Disney characters, and the gameplay just being hit X as fast as you can, over an over, really turned me off.

The Kingdom Hearts games really bummed me out.

What am I missing?

Play on a higher difficulty. You'll notice pretty quickly that "X as fast as you can" won't quite cut it.

Although if you were playing KH1 on normal and got through by mashing X, you must be some sort of savant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Reive posted:

Does KH2 pick up anytime soon?

I just finished the Pirates of the Caribbean world and what I've noticed is almost every world so far follows a very cookie-cutter layout and seems like they just tried to cram what the could of the characters and story into hour long segments which has made it pretty bland so far, except for the opening with Roxas which has been the highest point of the game.

It's like the opposite of KH1 in regard to it's level design and story integration, which is odd because I thought that's one of the things KH was praised for so I would of expected 2 to be more of the same.

Is there like a turning point where it starts to get better or is it all pretty much this?

Yeah, KH2's biggest fault is that they kind of forgot to tie the worlds you go to to the plot. They're mostly retreads of the original disney plots. On the second go-around you're actually chasing Organization members into the worlds and there's a sense of purpose to the whole thing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Reive posted:

The Masked Boy fight is a bitch and a half on Proud, maybe I'm just doing something wrong, at least it's not punishing.

It just is. First you'll have to learn to avoid his combo attack, then look for the sparse openings. But this applies to like half of Terra's bosses on Proud. Just you wait till you get to the final boss.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Edit: Billy Zane was awesome as Ansem. The way he delivers the line "Every light must fade. Every heart return to DARKNESS!" is so good

Which Ansem? Although judging by that line it's KH1

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, Vanitas was in one of the trailers...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nahxela posted:

I never figured out how to reliably dodge the meteor attack, so I just tried my best to get a max shotlock for all that invincibility.

Pick a spot, hope no meteors spawn above you, guard. Will work unless they come from odd angles, or from really far away, since your guard will have come down in that time.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

drat man what are all these names? Where's all the Disney characters :mad:

Mickey's still there and important! Donald and Goofy are probably still party members in KH3, but they never really mattered besides that. Maleficent and Pete like to pretend they're still important. Oh yeah, Yen Sid.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

LemonLimeTime posted:

I can make sense of new outfits, but is there a rational explanation as to why they look younger again? Is there ever? (it seems like every side game they're obsessed with having Riku and Sora look like they did in KH1 even if they takes place after the second game or something)

That is the explanation, the game takes place in a dream or other similar plot device so they can look whatever Nomura pleases.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

One day, we're going to get a KH where you play as Mickey. One day... :allears:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Those don't count :colbert: I meant as the protagonist. KH2 counts even less because unless you're really bad you'll never even see it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Great, the thing we needed more of in Kingdom Hearts was things that raise far more questions than they answer. :suicide:

Honestly, what did you expect? The ending of KH3 is going to be a six-hour video where Nomura painstakingly explains to you everything that's happened in the series and answers all of the unanswered questions. And after that you get the secret video which introduces 5 new characters and villains.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You pick the shield because then you get to whack shadows with it. And then you discard magic because who would want to lose attack power?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SereneCrimson posted:

Ventus.

I still feel like Ventus is a desperate attempt to explain why Roxas doesn't look like Sora. And then Vanitas is thrown in because hey, somebody has to look like Sora, right?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

here's the previous video, but with Subtitles

:aaa: :aaaaa: :aaa:

holy poo poo, fuuuuuuck

"Kingdom Hearts has always been there whenever I have felt that my friends or family have turned their backs on me. It's one of those games that keeps you from feeling sorry for yourself... like a really good book"

Oh, youtube :allears:

Also, they finally used My Sanctuary instead of Simple and Clean!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Reading that article reminded me: what the gently caress is a kingdom hearts? In KH2 it's the heart-shaped moon that they wanna use to turn into humans, but what is it exactly? And in KH it's just an... entity that is never explained beyond the villain wanting it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm now imagining the potential casual KH fan who played KH1, played KH2, waits 15 years for KH3, has absolutely no idea what's going on, and returns it after a day.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Can't you choose whoever you want?

Agreed though Terra was trash, the other characters are much more fun to play. I think Terra was the only one where I just beat the game and shelved him as fast as possible, with the others I WANTED to grind to experiment with their new spells and abilities.

You can but the default character is Terra, and who are you to know which character plays best? Besides the "correct" order of the story is Terra, Ventus, Aqua because Aqua's story reveals a lot of the things that the other two leave you in the dark with.

You're totally wrong about Terra sucking though, his attacks are so... hefty, it just feels good mashing that x button. And it's a nice challenge to not have a spammable dodge for once; every boss with the other characters is made trivial by mashing the dodge button until an opportunity presents itself.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but Terra's attacks also seem to have obscene reach, and going to Ventus after him I was being kind of overwhelmed by enemy groups because my attacks suddenly didn't annihilate half of them in one combo. But then again I never liked using magic in KH games.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Why does he have to fight Sora

Because it's cool. Didn't you always want to kick him in that over-enthusiastic face of his?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This is what I did: set your partner to automatically pick up immediately if you're not doing anything with them, and then only do stuff with them when you feel confident you're not going to get hit on the bottom screen. Don't try to focus on both at once; the top screen can handle itself, but you'll probably do better damage with you in control.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's pretty amazing at that price. I could see them charging 20 for just that case.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The most amazing thing about re:coded is how they managed to reuse the already reused to hell and back 5 KH1 worlds three times in one game. It's like the cheapest game possible. First you go through the worlds. Then you go through them again, except this time it's full of cubes oooo. And then you go through not quite the worlds again, but this time you get to dick with the story!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

:siren:ATTN: KH3D demo now out in the 3DS eShop!:siren:

It's about twenty minutes long, there's a couple of mook encounters and a boss.

I enjoyed it, but god drat do they give you a lot of combat options, some of which felt clearly superior to others. You've got your BBS system of attacks and commands, but on top of that there's the new "flowmotion", which is essentially super parkour. You do wall jumps, rail grinds and the like. And from every one of those moves you can launch an attack that's A) extremely flashy (like endgame move flashy), B) extremely effective (huge range, huge AoE, huge damage, the like) and C) completely cost-free and cooldown-free. There is literally no reason to not be launching these constantly besides it getting boring. I'm worried in trying to escalate the combat system they've made you just too drat powerful.

Oh, and then there's the dream eater pokemon stuff and their assist moves but I dunno, I didn't pay much attention to them, I was too busy zooming all over the place and occasionally wiping half of the enemies in one strike.

I guess there's always higher difficulties but even then it could come down to "Never use anything except flowmotion".

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I guess I'm in the minority here but I wasn't bothered by the camera at all. This is probably because of playing through BBS, re:coded and before those KH1 and 2 on the setting where the second stick controls the command menu. Camera control, man, who needs it?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Basically be better at the game. He is a giant dick and a huge difficulty spike. Be better at timing your dodges and blocks, watch carefully for opportunities to attack, etc. Surge commands will probably help because they deal damage quickly (or really, most commands) while you will probably never have time for a full melee combo, let alone command styles.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah, the fact that every single one of the final bosses has an attack that will kill you no questions asked unless you have both once more and second chance is not very good game design, I think. The second ansem fight, though, has it easily dodgeable. Zantetsuken or dark splicer will insta-warp you to him, after which spam dodge until his attack barrages stop.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I was playing on proud, but Xemnas has his surrounding you with lasers that never failed to kill me, ansem 1 has the attack thing he does while changing phases, ansem 2 has the lasers he shoots after he's pushed you back, Xehanort has that weird thing he does where he just creates a net of lasers...

All of these are attacks that deal massive amounts of damage in multiple hits, and they're really hard to and/or impossible to block/dodge. I sometimes survived one of these from full health but it was so rare that I would call it stupid and unfair. Of course, maybe I kind of asked for it by going proud on a first playthrough.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Also no I never got any unique magic commands cause I never did any of that command board crap. I almost exclusively use Cure and Fire style spells.

You don't need command board for anything. If you just experiment a bit with the command fusions and/or read up on the best combinations you get some seriously amazing poo poo. If you didn't want to put in the effort to use basically the major gameplay system then your loss, I guess.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/19/4444394/kingdom-hearts-3-detailed-by-game-director-tetsuya-nomura

Assuming this didn't get posted, here's some early info. Most importantly, three-person parties (and presumably Donald and Goofy) make a return! Although I guess they were never really gone if you only count the numbered games.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

Since the 3D can't be turned off in this game

??:confused:??

This is not something you can disable.

E: Yeah I mean you can not disable disabling the 3D. You don't need a menu option for it.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 31, 2013

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Am I alone in not disliking KH2's extended Roxas prologue? Sure, it's basically a 2 hour tutorial (with 2 more hours of cutscene), but actually interesting things are happening. As opposed to, say, a Zelda game where you faff about about the starting village doing nothing in particular. And I guess I had played CoM beforehand so I actually had a vague idea what was going on. But still, it sets up a nice little mystery and then solves it. And then there's the extremely badass boss fight with Axel.

I admit I probably would have spit my drink if I had one when you finally get the "Kingdom Hearts II" at the end though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Almost Smart posted:

I feel like I'm the only doof who picked the sword. Are the differences really that apparent in Final Mix? Should I start over seeing as I only just made it to Traverse Town?

gently caress no, play however you like. To each their own. The game is designed to be able to be played with all the options, even if you might have an easier time with some setups.

E: For the record, here's information hastily grabbed from gamefaqs:

The first choice affects the levels you learn abilities at (but you will have all the abilities at lv100 regardless). What you give up doesn't affect abilities.
code:
        ------------------------ Ability Learned -----------------------
Level   Sword                 Rod                   Shield
  6     Slide Dash            Stun Impact           Slap Shot
  9     Scan                  Treasure Magnet 1     Berserk
 12     Slap Shot             Ripple Drive          Tech Plus 1
 15     Counterattack         Scan                  Guard
 18     Tech Plus 1           Hurricane Period      Stun Impact
 21     Combo Plus 1          MP Haste              Scan
 24     Guard                 Air Combo Plus 1      Lucky Strike
 27     Hurricane Period      Tech Plus 1           Leaf Veil
 30     -                     -                     Treasure Magnet 1
 33     Final Break           Guard                 -
 36     Treasure Magnet 1     Aerial Combo Plus 1   Second Chance
 39     Ripple Drive          Leaf Veil             Slide Dash
 42     -                     MP Rage 1             Jackpot
 45     MP Haste              Aerial Combo Plus 2   Counterattack
 48     Second Chance         Lucky Strike          Critical Plus 1
 51     Stun Impact           Slide Dash            Hurricane Period
 57     Vortex                Counterattack         Treasure Magnet 2
 60     Aerial Sweep          Berserk               Final Break
 63     MP Rage 1             Jackpot               Combo Plus 1
 66     Combo Plus 2          -                     -
 69     Leaf Veil             Slap Shot             Ripple Drive
 72     Aerial Combo Plus 1   Treasure Magnet 2     MP Haste
 75     Treasure Magnet 2     MP Rage 2             Critical Plus 2
 78     Berserk               Final Break           Vortex
 81     Tech Plus 2           Tech Plus 2           Tech Plus 2
 84     Critical Plus 1       Vortex                Aerial Sweep
 87     MP Rage 2             Combo Plus 1          Combo Plus 2
 90     Lucky Strike          Second Chance         MP Rage 1
 93     Combo Plus 3          Combo Plus 2          Aerial Combo Plus 1
 96     Aerial Combo Plus 2   Critical Plus 1       Combo Plus 3
 99     Critical Plus 2       Combo Plus 3          Aerial Combo Plus 2
100     Jackpot               Critical Plus 2       MP Rage 2
Both your choices affect your final stats. This is why Rod is chosen for minmaxing, there is no other way to get more MP but other stats can be grinded (ground?):
code:
Sora's Stats at Level 100 (Kingdom Hearts Final Mix)
Chosen Power     Sword   Sword   Rod     Rod     Shield  Shield
Unwanted Power   Rod     Shield  Sword   Shield  Sword   Rod
HP               87      87      87      87      87      87
MP               8       8       10      10      8       8
AP               49      51      51      51      51      49
Attack Power     49      49      46      48      47      48
Defence Power    46      45      48      46      49      49
Item Slots       7       7       6       6       8       8
Accessory Slots  3       3       3       3       3       3
SO basically unless you're going for the endgame bosses or whatever go for what you feel comfortable with.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 12, 2013

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

PonchAxis posted:

I honestly didn't enjoy Dream Drop Distance that much. The story wasn't paced or told well at all and there was a bunch of annoying stuff like the whole dream eater/tamagotchi thing which you had to do to get powerups. Honestly you should probably just get 1.5.

I remember KH1 very fondly but so many releases and the fans of this series put me off so much. Does KH1 still hold up?
For what it's worth I think KH is still the best game in the series. It's much less polished than the later games, but it's got this sense of adventure and discovery that the rest are missing. I can't really sum up why, but at least some of it comes from the much more coherent story, the actually relevant Disney characters, the worlds having significance beyond "you have to go here and experience a disney movie to unlock the next place". With Final Mix one of my main complaints, the lack of combat moves, is even remedied!

NIV3K posted:

The only two choices that can be limited are MP and Item Slots. This is why picking the Sword is typically seen as sub-optimal because you give up both of those in exchange for a couple extra points of strength. However, it's not a huge spike in difficulty or anything.

I think it's wayyy more important to think of what playstyle you like because 90% of your game time is going to be spent Not On Level 100 and thus your abilities will be limited to your choice.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Thanks! Are there any note-worthy new battle abilities or are they just buffs?

EDIT: Cheers! Is the limited edition worth the extra cash?

Essentially there's more KH2-style combat abilities now, like finishers and context-sensitive moves.

Like, the original KH had Blitz and... nothing? Was/is blitz even that good?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Spiffo posted:

They put the goddamn camera controls on the right stick and won't let me go back to the shoulders. That is miserable because in Original Flavor the right stick USED to be for the menu. That meant I could move and use the menu at the same time. Now I can't. In proud mode if you stop moving you're dead.

You actually can't do this anymore? What the gently caress, Nomura, don't you know how to play your own game? Camera control is never an issue outside of platforming because of lock on, and in platforming you can easily take the time to move the camera with the shoulders. But menu management aint easy with the dpad. What do you even do with all of those shoulder buttons besides lock on if they don't control the camera anyway? It's not like you can get more shortcuts either (which would be a great idea btw).

You could still do this in KH2 even if it stupidly defaulted to the new style, and every game since has lacked a second stick, but now I'm worried for KH3.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What is hilarious about re:Coded is that it is the absolute master of reusing content. First of all, all of the worlds are from KH1, and thus reused in a ton of other games already. Then, after you beat hollow bastion, what awaits you? Why you get to go through truncated versions of all the worlds, this time with some blocks hastily thrown about. And after you beat that? You go through through all of the worlds again, this time in plot form (it's complicated, but I'm not going to spoil).

And to top it all off, all of the virus dimensions or whatever, including the bonus dungeon, are identically textured rooms consisting of basic geometry. Man, they knew what they were doing with their budget.

Note that this doesn't really detract from the fun of the game at all.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Check out KH1, where the amount of movie recreations is a big ol' zero. Then they stopped giving a poo poo about the disney worlds as anything else but a place where the gameplay happens. And Nomura went wild with his fanfiction.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I like the drop system V:shobon:V

Use a drop-me-not before bosses if you really have to/that's the problem you're having. I only dropped in a boss fight once, in the first boss, and I didn't use a single drop-me-not the entire game. I dunno if it was a lucky accident or whatever, but so it was. I also really like how you can "earn" more time by playing well (If you do combos, don't get hurt etc. the drop rate goes down, it goes up if you're inflicted with status or get damaged), how you get points to use for boosting the other guy, and how these points are multiplied during the last minute before dropping so you go into a frenzy searching for groups of enemies to beat up. The drop bonuses were also a clever in another way: if you just can't get past something, drop, do something else for a while, then when you come back you can get boosts to relevant stats to make whatever situation you're in easier.

In summation, I guess it's just not for everybody, but I think they had some really clever things going on with it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I got a PS3, I got 1.5, and I'm getting into Chain of Memories. Send help

How do I do this game? I kind of got it by the Axel fight, and I at least beat him which felt pretty good. But it feels like I'm in way over my head here, and the battle system feels pretty busted. For example:

Sleights (the two I've gotten) suck. Sliding dash seems to be there to waste your time when you accidentally make it, and I can't even get a stun impact going most of the time.

Magic, on the other hand, rocks. Except when it doesn't. Blizzara kills everything it hits, but is super awkward to aim because of the fixed distance of the spread, and often you can't actually get far away enough to really nail anything with it.

And in general, the cards seem like a really awkward mechanic. I have a hard time doing anything more complicated than lining up the next three cards or just mashing X in the heat of battle, without stopping and getting hit. And should I even be using sleights? Because I seems to be running out of cards real fast, and then I only get half of the back. But if I don't, my combos get card broken in the middle.

I'm going to stick with it though, it's the only KH game I haven't played yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Whoa thanks for the huge effortpost! I'll try to remember all of this stuff tomorrow. I think I've got a pretty good strategy going for sticking with it, if the cards overwhelm me I switch to wrecking face in regular ol' KH Final Mix.