Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Hopefully by the time I beat 1 and Re:CoM they'll have gotten around to patching it(I'm guessing it's a relatively complex problem if they haven't fixed it already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

:same: Square knows exactly what kind of garbo nerds they're targeting.

"Ok I won't buy this, I have literally all these games, mostly in 2 forms already."

"Yea but now you can have them in one place...With no changes but in one place because finding your old playstation poo poo is hard."

"Ah drat there goes my money"

I got it because I didn't have a PS3 so I couldn't experience the PS3 versions

Hopefully they'll figure out the Save Crash bug for KH2 soon though, it's the only one that really seems like a big problem

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So far my first playthrough of Kingdom Hearts 1 in at least 5-6 years(and first time doing Final Mix) has been going pretty well(just beat Ansem Possessed Riku in one try, which feels really gratifying when compared to the several dozen times it took to beat him back in my first playthrough more than a decade ago on the PS2), only real issues have been the relative lack of items or money I've been finding(which has led to me not giving Donald & Goofy items unless it's a boss fight, as well as seriously hampering any efforts at synthesis or building a better Gummy Ship), and the changes Final Mix does sometimes lead to confusion(although I definitely appreciate them changing things so Monstro remains accessible after you beat it)

Also I had forgotten how annoying the layouts of certain worlds are

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 5, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ventana posted:

Save crashing has been reported by several people not doing speed run things. Save crashing doesn't appear to be related to if anyone is speedrunning or is just playing casually. Save crashing just seems random; you could be lucky and not have it happen at all, you could be one of the people that have it happen 4 times in 1 casual run.

This was in the original as well, otherwise there'd be a set of dalmatians that would be missable. I think you're confused in that Monstro could sometimes not appear again if you traveled to him apparently, but he's definitely still accessible after you clear that world.

Well in the original version at the very least he'd disappear from the map after clearing him instead of being able to easily warp to him like in Final Mix(and since only a masochist does the Gummy Ship routes when they don't have to it's easy to think that Monstro becomes inaccessible after beating it in the original version)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ventana posted:

No, you could still warp to him, and he's still on the map. It's just a bit random if he's there and may take a couple of tries if it happens to miss.

Well I guess I'm in the wrong then, but to be fair it's been years since I last played the original version

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Wow Wonderland felt kind of like a chore, but maybe that's my inability to travel through mazes.

Monstro, Atlantica, and Hollow Bastion have similar issues, as does the Cave of Wonders section of Agrabah

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Olympus Colosseum is the best KH1 level because its just an excuse to have the Tenkaichi Budokai.

I remember not getting anywhere on that world till very late in the game my first playthrough because I couldn't get past that barrel smashing trial

Also I just realized that the reason why we stopped having those Villain Council scenes after Agrabah(or Malificent interacting with any of it's members or commenting on their fates) is because hypothetically you could end up not clearing one of either Atlantica or Halloween Town till after Hollow Bastion(which happened to me with Atlantica cause I kept getting lost), since you only need to clear one of them and Monstro* to unlock Neverland(which has to be the most misleading world names since you never actually go to Neverland proper) and thus Hollow Bastion afterwards

*now I'm wondering how Monstro would work if you didn't bother clearing it till after either Neverland or Hollow Bastion since Riku plays a big role in it's story

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 5, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

IceBorg posted:

Can't wait until Disney one day resolves all the Tarzan copyright stuff just so that Nomura has to create a full game explaining why everyone forgot about that world.

To be fair Deep Jungle is probably the least important world in Kingdom Hearts 1 in terms of plot relevance, so it not coming up in anything after Chain of Memories isn't surprising even if we ignore the legal reasons that led to it not reappearing after that point

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well I've officially decided on giving up on finishing Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix HD for the time being, I had forgotten how bullcrap Ansem is as a boss, and I just do not have the patience for him these days, admittedly I had a bunch of other content in KH1 to finish as well(getting all the Dalmatians, doing the Hades Cup, fighting the various optional bosses), but while KH1 is still a really good game, it's also really tedious in parts, so I'm fine with not finishing it for now

So off to Re: Chain of Memories HD, which will be interesting since I never beat either the original version on the GBA or the PS2 version

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Man I'm already starting to think about giving up on Kingdom Hearts 2, both of the boss fights so far have been tedious bullcrap, especially since the Axel fight sends you back to before the Vivi struggle match if you lose

I'm amazed I had managed to forget about how tedious and annoying the Roxas Twilight Town section of the game was

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Never mind, beat Axel on the second try

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Man was that whole Seven Wonders part retarded

Also the voice they have for Ansem Seeker of Darkness in KH2 is nowhere near as good as his original VA was

Lastly the Chain of Memories cutscenes are so drat janky

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Well yeah, the original voice for Ansem was Billy fuckin' Zane, aka that rear end in a top hat rich guy in Titanic and John JUSTICE Wheeler in Twin Peaks.

Few mortals are better than him.

Wonder why he didn't return for 2?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

on the topic of Kingdom Hearts 3, I decided to compile a list of what Disney films(and a couple shorts) have been used as the basis for Worlds in the Kingdom Hearts franchise so far, as well as a list of what hasn't been used for a world yet;

Movies already in use by Kingdom Hearts as Worlds

Mickey Mouse Shorts/Three Musketeers/Runaway Brain/Fantasia*
Alice In Wonderland
Tarzan
Hercules
Aladdin/Return of Jafar*
Pinocchio
Little Mermaid
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Peter Pan*
Mulan*
Beauty & The Beast
Pirates of The Carribean*
Lion King*
Sleeping Beauty
Cinderella*
Snow White
Lilo & Stitch*
The Hunchback of Notre Dame*
Tron
Tron Legacy
Winnie The Pooh*

*Source Material has usable content left

Disney Animated Canon Movies that haven't been used as Worlds yet in Kingdom Hearts

Dumbo
Bambi
Saludos Amigos
The Three Caballeros
Make Mine Music
Fun and Fancy Free
Melody Time
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad
Lady and the Tramp
101 Dalmatians
The Sword In The Stone
The Jungle Book
The Aristocats
Robin Hood
The Rescuers/Rescuers Down Under
The Fox and The Hound
The Black Cauldron
The Great Mouse Detective
Oliver & Company
Pocahontas
Fantasia 2000
Dinosaur
The Emperor's New Groove
Atlantis The Lost Empire
Treasure Planet^
Brother Bear
Home On The Range
Chicken Little
Meet The Robinsons
Bolt
The Princess and The Frog
Tangled
Wreck-It Ralph/Ralph Breaks The Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2
Frozen
Big Hero 6#
Zootopia
Moana
Gigantic

^Almost made it into a previous Kingdom Hearts game
#Already confirmed to be appearing in Kingdom Hearts 3

then there's the fact that Kingdom Hearts has yet to touch anything from Pixar

Pixar Movies that haven't been used in Kingdom Hearts yet

Toy Story franchise
A Bug's Life
Monsters Inc/University
Finding Nemo/Dory
The Incredibles/2
Cars Franchise
Ratatouille
WALL-E
Up
Brave
Inside Out
The Good Dinosaur
Coco
Pixar Shorts

then there's various Disney animated movies and shorts outside of the Canon or Pixar that haven't been touched yet, only a couple of these would make for full worlds but most of them I could see contributing something to a future KH game if done right

Other Disney Animated Movies & Shorts that haven't been used in Kingdom Hearts yet

James & The Giant Peach
Frankenweenie
Planes Franchise
Strange Magic
Brave Little Toaster
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
The Prince and The Pauper
John Henry
Paul Bunyan
The Skeleton Dance
Flowers and Trees
The Mad Doctor
Three Little Pigs
The Tortoise and The Hare/Toby Tortoise Returns
Pluto's Judgement Day
Lonesome Ghosts
Brave Little Tailor
Ferdinand The Bull
Lambert the Sheepish Lion
Donald in Mathmagic Land

and then there's Disney's Live Action output, again few of these would work for standalone worlds, but I could see many of them contributing something to a Kingdom Hearts game if done right

Disney Live Action Movies that haven't been used in Kingdom Hearts

The Reluctant Dragon
Song of The South
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea
Davy Crockett, King of The Wild Frontier/Davy Crockett and the River Pirates
Old Yeller
Darby O'Gill and the Little People
Swiss Family Robinson
Mary Poppins
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
The Island at the Top of The World
Pete's Dragon
The Black Hole
Dragonslayer
Condorman
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Return To Oz
The Rocketeer
Hocus Pocus
Muppet Treasure Island
Flubber
The Haunted Mansion
Sky High
Oz: The Great and Powerful
The Lone Ranger
The BFG
Pete's Dragon(2016)
Splash

those last two lists are far from comprehensive, but are rather ones that seemed like possible sources of inspiration

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ventana posted:

fyi they confirmed Tangled for a KH3 world

Also I don't get the critera for "still has usable content left" since a lot of the things you didn't put on there have still sequels and poo poo to pull from. Not that I want to see a Little Mermaid 2 world

Where's the High School Musical world, tho? :getin:

Well I didn't say said usable content had to be any good, although I did have an idea for how to use Cinderella 3 in a Kingdom Hearts context(and yes it'd be completely insane)

Also having all ~626 Experiments from Lilo & Stitch be the collectibles for a game would be neat

J-Spot posted:

Old Yeller world would be pretty fun.

Some of the stuff I listed would be more along the lines of sticking an homage in somewhere, like how the only time Lady and The Tramp has shown up was as a fountain in Traverse Town in the first game, so for Old Yeller for example he'd probably just show up as a statue somewhere

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

bobjr posted:

Make Emperor's New Groove as a world where Kuzko is the boss and Kronk is your world specific teammate.

If we ever do get ENG as a world, they need to sneak in some Kingdom of The Sun stuff, like Yzma's cut song(in general Kingdom Hearts need to integrate songs from the movies it uses more often), as it would be a perfect fit

Also for Kingdom Hearts 3 hopefully Malificent will have recruited a new council of villains, it's still a shame that she didn't get the chance to in either KH2 or 3D

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

There's a sequel to Wreck It Ralph? Since when?

It's coming next year, there's at least three other movies on the list that haven't come out yet either(Incredibles 2, Gigantic, and Coco)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Still going through Kingdom Hearts 2, got to the point where Mickey explains about KH1 Ansem not being the real Ansem, and the way he explains it is pretty funny

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

sout posted:

I'm jealous of you for experiencing how dumb this series is fresh(I assume). I know KH3 will probably be very dumb but I'd be amazed if anything could surprise me any more.

Well it's not exactly fresh, but it has been about a decade since I last played KH2(and somewhere between 6 and 8 since I last played KH1), and my first time going through the Final Mix version

Currently I just finished up with the second visits for Port Royal(Undead Pirates are goddamn annoying to fight) and the Colosseum, as well as the portion of Atlantica where you "fight" Ursula(KH2 Atlantica has to be the single weirdest thing about this game, I guess they wanted to include it again but didn't want to deal with underwater combat again, probably why Neverland didn't return either as the same applies to flying combat)

Also whoever was responsible for the Xaldin fight, they are an rear end in a top hat(one thing both my first run ~10 years ago and this one have in common is that they were both the first time the King Mickey rescue was triggered, amazingly enough this time around it somehow activated THREE times, which is probably the only way I was able to win, well that and Master Form being ridiculously strong)

Amppelix posted:

I just remembered that scene and how it kinda sounds like they really didn't know what they were going for either when they recorded the scene because the way Mickey says it is some of the most unclear dialogue that will definitely leave you with a wrong impression. Which really wouldn't surprise me if that were actually the case. Nomura has admitted to writing by the seat of his pants all the time.

Nomura reminds me of Akira Toriyama in that regard, it just comes off as more nonsensical cause Nomura tries to be "deep"

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 18, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Okay this second trip to Space Paranoids is the loving worst, the part on the Solar Sailer is loving impossible, no matter what I do I can't get rid of the enemies before the gauge fills up and I lose(there's a lot of grade A bullshit enemies in this game but I think those purple tanks are the most bullshit of them all), done it three times in a row and not a single strategy I've tried has worked

Really hope someone has a suggestion on how to cheese my way through this without having to leave and do a bunch of grinding, cause after my last loss I literally almost tore my controller apart in sheer frustration

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Augus posted:

Can't really say I had a lot of trouble with that spot in particular. But Space Paranoids revisit is entirely optional and just earns you access to Sephiroth, you can do just about anything else before it.

Isn't it needed for the Radiant Garden transition?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TopHatGenius posted:

Yup.

Like with all problematic areas, grind out some levels and return.

God dammit I loving hate grinding, especially in these games

Cuchulain posted:

Wisdom Form Magnet Thunder Spam or Magnet into Trinity Limit.

Actually, Bring a few Ethers along, Wisdom Form Magnet Thunder Spam until Form runs out, Magnet into Trinity Limit (use Goofy's drive portion first, hitting magnet trapped enemies gives crazy amounts of drive back), then repeat.

And the Purple tanks are the most bullshit enemy in the game, that's why the super secret final optional dungeon features Red versions that are even more brutal.

Tried doing that, for some reason I keep screwing up and casting cure immediately after going into Wisdom form, which screws up the whole strategy so I immediate give up and let the gauge fills out(also Wisdom Form probably isn't going to be all that helpful since it's only at level one, indeed Valor is the only one above 1 and it's only at two, I barely even use Drives or Summons since this drat game is an rear end about letting you refill the drive gauge)

This section is really draining out my desire to finish KH2(already decided I'm not doing any other parts of the story that I still need to do until I beat this), and if that happens I'll probably just give up on the rest of the franchise, which will be really annoying after buying 1.5+2.5 and going through a bunch of bullshit to rent a copy of 2.8

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 19, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

The purple tank guys are basically giant flags saying WHY ARENT YOU USING REFLECT ALL DAY ERRY DAY ITS SO GOOD NOW, they're probably the most satisfying enemy to tear apart with it aside from the mine made guys.

I tried using reflect and it continued to be as useless as it's been the whole time I've had it, cause while it does do a decent amount of damage to them it doesn't do it anywhere near fast enough for it to be even remotely practical, which has been the case for pretty much anything beyond basic melee combat for pretty much the entire game(Magic is incredibly ineffective for it's cost as are any limits involving allies, and both Drives and Summons are generally not worth using because they're too demanding of the drive gauge to be consistently used, heck Genie is the only Summon I've used more than once, and Limit Form I've only used by accident as it's just plain terrible)

I guess I'm stuck grinding out a bunch of levels, anyone know any good places to do so?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cuchulain posted:

https://youtu.be/BUDL_XnG7ho

Here's a guy beating it on Critical difficulty at level 1. Do what he does with the benefit of your levels and you'll be fine.

Thanks that actually worked really well(maybe I just wasn't using them in the past right, cause before many of the limits weren't doing all that much in the way of damage)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Okay how the hell are you supposed to beat Roxas when you fight him at The World That Never Was, cause it seems truly impossible in this situation, if for no other reason than him dealing too much damage in comparison to the limited healing resources you have when fighting solo

Honestly this might be the thing that gets me to give up, cause this just feels completely unfair

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Raxivace posted:

You use Guard or Reflega to block his attacks.

Unfortunately I am completely terrible at the timing needed for either of those unless it's a really slow and obvious attack

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Reflect is a good spell. Limit Form is also beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plA_rAxdQo8

p.s lol at this guy trinity'ing through the DM. I mean, you totally can do that but you can also just kinda glide around the arena.

Honestly I've found Limit Form pretty awful, especially since the things it's good at require MP and thus it becomes useless very fast(which is also an issue for Wisdom form), also for some reason I can't seem to get the timing right for any of the unique Limits that it has

Nina posted:

He's really the first boss that requires you to learn his patterns properly. Find something you can consistently block like say his long range dash after a combo and punish. Your block actually has really lenient active frames when you figure it out.

Well I'm probably screwed then because I suck at pattern recognition, at least for the kind of boss that Roxas is

They really should have had him be an optional boss

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

RC Cola posted:

Why does everyone hate chain of memories?

For me at least after going through the first couple of rooms in Traverse Town in the tutorial I quickly realized that Re CoM was the kind of game I just don't have the patience to deal with anymore(this honestly applies to 99% of the RPG's I've tried to play within the last 5 years or so), hell I barely have any for the more normal KH games I've been playing so far, as seen with me giving up on KH1 after being reminded that Ansem Seeker of Darkness is a cheating rear end in a top hat(and not bothering with a bunch of the game's optional content), and with KH2 I often skip fights if I have the option to(I kinda just want to be done with KH2's story so I can move on to BBS, 3D, and Final Chapter Prologue)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Chev posted:

For starters work on not calling every new thing you encounter impossible or unfair.

I've only said that about three fights in KH2 so far, so that's uncalled for

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 19, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ventana posted:

This explains a lot

Serious question drrockso20: what difficulty have you been playing on for KH1/2 FM?

To be frank, everything you've posted so far seems to indicate that you are bad at the game. Like "missing fundamental mechanics" bad.

And that's okay! Nothing wrong with that. But if the game is giving you trouble cause you don't understand it, then there are other options other than giving up like you've been talking about.

Have you been playing on Proud/Critical? Bump it down to Standard. Playing on Standard? Try Beginner mode. Even speedrunners have died to some fights on beginner so don't feel bad.

If you're seriously contemplating quitting, I'd really suggest trying another run on the lower difficulties. Just skip the cutscenes (which are a LARGE bulk of the games) and be more experimental with the mechanics. FYI you can save drive form if you return to the world map while in drive (or if you go into the areas where your party members turn into NPCs), and your drive will refill when visiting new worlds.

I only say this cause you'll probably enjoy the game a lot more if you try to understand how it works. I know I sure did back when I sucked at it and originally didn't like the game.

Standard for both games, and I've only been having problems with a couple specific fights in each game(and with the pirates the problem wasn't to do with them being weak to magic, it's them becoming invincible when they aren't in moonlight so most fights involving them take twice as long as they should, they aren't hard just tedious)

Honestly I'll admit with 2 a lot of my issues probably stem from me trying to get it done as fast as possible(while watching all cutscenes so I can be refreshed on the plot) so I can move on to the stuff I hadn't played before, also because KH2 does a pretty bad job at explaining a lot of it's systems

Restarting isn't really an option though, I don't think I'd be willing to go through the Roxas prologue portion of the game again any time soon(or the first couple of worlds in KH1)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ventana posted:

You just....wait for the pirates to come into the light. Then you can freeze them and combo. This is also where Chicken Little helps (cause yes, summons are good).

Am I just crazy? This isn't complicated, right? I used to think pirates were dumb, but once I saw you could just do that it wasn't a problem. They aren't the best enemies in the game or anything but they were fun to play around with imo.

Well your allies often knock them back into the shadows, Donald is especially bad about that(made even worse by the special effects spells have on the pirates triggering even when in shadows)

Also thanks for the advice everyone, but I think I am going to just abandon 2 for now and move on to BBS, cause the momentum has been kinda ruined for me

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah Tinkerbell makes every fight she's an option in a ton easier, even if you do give up certain moves while she's out

Shame she's unavailable for the second time you fight Ansem though, cause he's even worse than the first fight

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

Actually

I found out

If you land on Ansem for long enough

You can summon her even without Donald and Goofy You just have to have your feet on Ansem, preferably his ship.

I meant the second time you fight "regular" Ansem, after that really easy rematch against Dark Side

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I was less confused and more annoyed that despite being called Organization XIII you only fought about half of them in 2(didn't know at the time that the others had died during CoM), definitely makes me glad that Final Mix added ways to fight the missing members

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Momomo posted:

If loving Agrabah is in this game then I'm never touching this series again.

But they still have the third movie to adapt

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Argue posted:

Zootopia only has mammals so Sora actually fits in better than Donald!

Donald becomes a Platypus

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

If I was going to buy one of the HD ports of 2, do I want the PS3 or PS4 version?

PS4 version probably, since it'll have almost everything else with it as well besides 3D

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh my god how does Terra remember to breathe he's so loving dumb

A modified Spongebob quote fits perfectly here;

"When you wake up, you will remember nothing but Keyblade Fighting, Keyblade Fighting and Breathing"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

There's a sweet spot where Days, KH1, and 0.2 are all happening at the same time.

Not to mention some of the flashbacks in KH2:FM as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Sora having actual parents he ditched is still one of the weirdest parts of the franchise. like seriously what happened to those poor guys? Do they think their son is dead? When he came back at the end of KH2 did he explain what he was doing?

I think that's why they introduced that weird amnesia subplot in 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Raxivace posted:

On a related note its loving weird to me that Ursula went to Destiny Islands.

When did this happen?