Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'm 100% convinced that it's going to turn out that Sora is the human incarnation of Kingdom Hearts or something stupid like that mark my words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

a) is that Rikku or Riku in the playable characters? Because the former makes no goddamn sense.

b) Kairi will never be a playable character, will she.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ventana posted:

That's kind of true, but one thing that always bugged me was that it felt like it concluded a nice ark for Riku in him dealing with his own darkness, only for him vs the darkness to continue being a thing in later games. It was most sad I think in DDD, when it seemed like they really wanted to push Riku forward to learn something and then become the keyblade master, but basically had to retread a little of the same points as what he did in CoM in fighting off his inner Ansem.

Did he though? He started from "I'm not scared of you anymore" to which Ansem responded "we can't use you anymore, you've overcome the darkness." That's the exact end of his CoM->KH2 arc.

Felt like a continuation to me but I am more fond of DDD than most in this thread it seems.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

It ruins the pacing and unless you're abusing the mechanics (at which point drops don't exist) it's most likely to run out mid boss battle or something.

I never had an issue with it, because I always manually dropped before the boss and started playing the other character until they reached their boss.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

I just want the final reveal to be that Sora is Xehanort.

I still have good money on Sora being the personification of Kingdom Hearts (the thing).

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

I like how DDD tries its best to tie together all the various games up to that point...except for re:Coded, which gets a three-minute scene of Maleficent and Pete trying to swipe a cartridge only for Minnie to be all "hey knock it off" and for them to be all "curses, foiled again" and then leave.

This, but serious.

(I'm weak to cartoony poo poo and the scene was meant to be cartoony and stupid.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

this is really all I want.

"Finally the war is over, we can just relax and eat this paopu fruit together..."

"Sora those are like our durians, this whole island loving stinks now you rear end in a top hat."

this is 100% fanwank but if KH3's big reveal was 'of course your destinies are bound, remember when Riku gave you that fruit' I'd not be shocked at all.

Doesn't the big ol keyblade that Riku and Sora share in the reality shift in The World That Never Was in DDD have a paopu keychain?

That said, my crackpot KHIII theory has been that Sora is Kingdom Hearts personified for a while now.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Calaveron posted:

I mean I had this image of Sora in my head from cultural osmosis having never played a KH game and poo poo thinking he was just this dull FF-esque protagonist and then I played 3D aND HOLY gently caress LIFE IS AWESOME DONALD DUCK IS MY BEST FRIEND AND GOOFY TOO I'M GONNA FLY AROUND AND BOOP THE SNOOTS WITH MY GIANT KEY WHOOOO
I don't know if that's the perception they intended us to have of him

It absolutely is considering Sora’s thing is power of friendship.

Still ib4 Kingdom Hearts is Sora, and that’s how he could do heart bullshit as a literal newborn.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I told myself I was finally going to go through and beat all the kh games I own instead of starting them and stopping like every video game I own.

A mistake. I’m already burnt out to the point that puppy hunting sounds like hell because ugh khi platforming. I guess no aeroga for me :(.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Shoehead posted:

Finding the puppies aren't worth it imo. Some (one?) of the optional bosses tie into the next games but honestly if you don't feel like fighting 'em and youtube their cutscenes I don't think anyone would blame you.

I already know who he is and am bad enough at video games I don’t really want to fight him. I’ll be doing when I play khii anyway.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ventana posted:

You don't need Aeroga to beat any of the optional bosses.And while getting puppies to do all the stuff in 100 acre wood might be worthwhile, you don't really need to do that anyways.

But I loved Pooh when I was a little girl and he was so sad when alone. :(

But yeah I’m mostly leaving optional stuff to being optional because I have four other rpgs to get through.

...unless COM is so poo poo that I just rewatch the cutscenes to refresh my memory. Then I have three.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I really loved DDD on the 3DS so maybe I’m just broken. And when I played it was even when I had a tiny original 3DS that gave me awful hand cramps.

I’m even excited to play it again.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My favorite comedy scene is still when Shiki flirts with Riku and he goes full “???”.

DDD is in general about Riku’s massive crush on Sora though.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

If it prevents Kairi from being a nothing character AGAIN, I don’t care how bullshit her keyblade is.

If they just do the same poo poo with her again, then it’s bullshit.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

What is Kairi's character exactly? Having just seen her in 1 and 2, I can't really come up with much of anything but 'nice girl'. Granted it has been a miiinuuutee since I played kh2, so I barely remember her being there at the end.

She likes teasing her friends at the beginning of KHI!

...that’s it!

All I want is a female character other then Aqua that’s somewhat developed, Nomura.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Roth posted:

It would be neat if you could choose between Donald, Goofy, Riku, and Kairi as your party members, plus the 1 or 2 world-specific party members.

I know it would bloat the game horribly, but I would almost want some Riku-Mickey and Kairi-Lea worlds. Not entire stories like in BBS or DDD, but like. Some time with Riku and Kairi as playable characters, because I really like Riku’s playstyle and really want Kairi to be playable for more than a tutorial.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Since when is Riku patient.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

There’s no way that Lea will be irrelevant. He’s too popular.

Kairi however? That’s likely.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I would argue that the only KH side games are coded and the mobile game.

Until the mobile game is revealed as crucial in KHIII that is.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Finally playing KHII after bingeing on CoM for like half a week to get through it and man is it refreshing to just. Be able to hit things without card breaks or reloading. Why the hell did Nomura think that thinking about cards went with fast paced action RPG.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

bizarre deformity posted:

Axel is the fandom's favorite, that's why he became a good guy.

Luxord, Larxene and Demyx are the only Org members whose somebodies haven't shown up yet.

I think he’s actually the developers’ favorite, which is the stated reason why he survived CoM and the tutorial of KHII.

The good guy stuff then came because the fandom loved him of course.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Didn't the developers say that he was straight up supposed to die after that Roxas fight, but he got so popular with the fans that he got new scenes and stuff added at the last minute?

I’ve heard that he was supposed to die in CoM too, but that’s probably as likely.

I know that of the CoM guys, Axel has my favorite design (even if I like Larxene more just because not another nicey nice female character). I wish Lea kept the eye tats.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

He’s not like. My favorite or anything, but I like him well enough and want to see what they do with him in KHIII.

(My favorite is Riku, because I’m a basic bitch.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Your mileage may vary, I love the poo poo out of DDD and BBS. Though yes, they are full sized games. The shortest is CoM at about 15 hour’s for both stories with minimal grinding, but ugh. CoM.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The GIG posted:

Having recently played KH1 and watched other people play KH1 too I feel I can safely say its probably the worst of the bunch and has aged very badly. Every animation has an awful wind up before it takes effect and the worlds often end up a chore to navigate on returns. Also it really relies on stats harder than the other games and just really leans into the worst parts of '00 game design. I'm glad the series jettisoned so much of the gameplay for 1 because I cant imagine recogmmending it any time after 2 came out and much less in 2018.

Honestly same.

The camera really, really doesn’t help. Final Mix may have mapped it back onto the right analog stick, but that doesn’t change the fact it gets stuck on geometry like all the time.

Also the clunky jumping and resulting clunky platforming. People who can beat Riku during the tutorial race and get all the chests are far more patient and willing to deal with awful game mechanics than me. If I hadn’t spent my childhood watching my siblings play it and then playing it myself, I would hate it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

fallin1 posted:

Some say Chiblade but the meaning is the same.

Well, the Chiblade is something else’s but by two top predictions for KHIII wtf-ness are

1) the Kingdom Key and the Kingdom Key D are two halves of the Chiblade

And

2) Sora is the personification of Kingdom Hearts (the confusing metaphysical concept, that is)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

bizarre deformity posted:

"That thing right there. It's called the Keyblade, isn't it? Yep, it seems like these days everybody's got one of those..." - A real thing a character says in a Kingdom Hearts game

He even sells his body to get one.

Should’ve just bugged Yen Sid until he gave him one like Lea did. :colbert:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I like Aqua but that mostly because I really want a female character in this series who’s allowed to do poo poo.

Next, maybe they can make a female character who can do poo poo and also have a personality and also isn’t a villain.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Just charging in almost always works for Sora and the two times it didn’t Riku was there to bail him out.

Plus, murder was good for Nobodies, so it’s ok.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Marly is totally going to end up betraying the new org.

I’d even put decent money on him being a post-Xehanort saga baddie with his being in Unchained X.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I would’ve been ok with the musical if it was just straight up the movie and the movie’s songs.

The 8 year old girl in me also loves the idea of becoming a mer-dolphin even if I can’t think of any way to make fully 3D motion not awkward as gently caress to control. :(

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

melodicwaffle posted:

The Something Awful Forums > General Bullshit > E/N > Ex-friend assaulted me over petty argument 20 yrs ago, wants back in my life, what should I do

“Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I’m going to forgive him and take in his comatose apprentice.”

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I wouldn’t call it the worst game ever made and getting though it wasn’t a struggle per se but it did feel like a chore. Maybe a slightly fun chore, like listening to music while doing dishes or something, but still a chore.

I’m not great at video games but I powered though it with Fatal Frame with Sora and extreme X mashing with Riku.

That said, I don’t real think it’s a great game because too many slights require doing mental math and gently caress that.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Roxas also has brown eyebrows while Ven has blond.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

effervescible posted:

For people who care about the bonkers-rear end story, the four month gap for DDD was painful. I can live with four days easily.

Same. Though my lack of a PS4 means I’ll probably just be waiting for the cutscene movie.

...I was hoping for a big Switch announcement if I’m honest.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Instant Grat posted:

I really wish people would realize that the Switch is a tablet and it's severely underpowered compared to the Xbone/PS4. It can't run games that are pressing up against the edges of modern graphics tech, it just ain't happening.

Oh I’m 100% aware it’s just that Switch or PC port is my dream so I can actually play this stupid game without buying a console I’ll barely use.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I know that Eraqus lives on in Terra’s heart, but he was human when that happened so it sort of counts.

Until KHIII reveals he was a heartless the whole time I guess.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

TheLoneStar posted:

Frankly Aqua being Norted is the most interesting aspect about her since her introduction, so I'm all for it.

I agree with this generally, but I am nervous about it maybe being yet another female character damseled in this series.

Please give Kairi things to do game. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

nice of them to announce a ps4 bundle for idiots like me who are only going to buy a ps4 for this game.