Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just got the 1.5HD remix and didn't realise that they basically remade Chain of Memories. It looks amazing.

I can't wait to replay the first game again though, i've never played the Final Mix version, are there many differences between that and the standard edition?

edit: Never Mind, found em. I guess the biggest change is the extra Boss (Xemnas) and the standard difficulty making you weaker or something?

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Cool, it's been years since i played it so it should be fun even if the changes are minimal.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I just got KH2.5 for Xmas but i still haven't played 1.5 yet (got it sitting there just waiting to be played). I've not played the KH games since they came out but is proud mode really that much harder? I was thinking about just diving in on that because I'm probably better at playing games now than when these originally came out. I'm a bit reluctant if it gets bullshitty though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I'm playing KH:3D(s) and just finished Traverse town, but i'm a bit confused.

Maybe i'm misremembering things, but wasn't Traverse Town all fine and saved in the first game? Did something happen to it in the second game that i'm forgetting?

Also, with TWEWY characters. I cant remember the ending to that game but am i to take it that they're all dead dead, like proper never returned to life from their "game" dead? That Joshua is still jesus/god (about the only thing i vaguely remember from the game) and brought the memories of the characters to Traverse town but didn't realise that it's a special place that makes memories a reality or something?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Final Fantasy X is almost 15 years old. To emphasize that it is now as old as Final Fantasy 1 was when Kingdom Hearts first came out.

I think 'classic' is more synonymous with old and good rather than just old :colbert:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Maybe I'm just being too forgiving, but doing what they've done so far to bring out what they have is so much more than I would have expected from any ps2 era games.

Like, I'm getting the entire KH series in one box (from multiple devices) for £35 with better looking visuals working to within, what, 90% of perfect?

I was never expecting a ground up remake and short of dusting off various old consoles, I was never going to be able to play these again.

So if it's a choice between great levels of convenience at a high level of quality vs nothing at all, I'm happy to take the former.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So am I right in thinking if I'm just going to play these games like a normal person I'm very unlikely to hit any crashes?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

You might crash randomly on a save.

Might, as in, not really confirmed by anyone that isn't doing some kind of speed run thing? Or might as in reported by a significant number of normal playing people?

Because so for I've seen nothing of the latter.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I don't know if it's age or having just finished Bloodborne recently but i'm finding that comapred to my hazy 15 year old memory of KH, that the battles are a lot easier. Mostly because i'm seeing enemy movement patterns a lot easier.

I still couldn't beat Riku at the beginning though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I just read a thing about basically becoming invincible in KH1 FM with the Tinkerbell summon, leaf bracer and second chance or some such?

I never really used any of those well back when i first played the game, but do remember getting quite frustrated with the extra bosses. How does the above method work and are you really invincible?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Where is the best spot for large games grinding in KH1 again?

I've just gone through the "plot twist it was Ansem all along" reveal and all the worlds are full of the Hollow Bastion heartless.

I'm level 50 bit plan on getting up to max (I should probably grab the exp up items too at some point).

There's also some sort super glide IIRC right?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

TopHatGenius posted:

The easiest way hands down for grinding gems is abusing the Bambi summon. I believe it's after 15 kills Bambi has a moderate chance of dropping gems depending on what world you summon him at.

Wonderland for Frost, Deep Jungle for Thunder, and Agrabah. Assuming you're playing 1.5, most of the other materials can be Bambi'd (except for stones. You need to fight specific enemies)

Superglide is given after you defeat Chernabog.

For exp grinding one easy way is to have Aeroa/Aeroga and find rare Truffles in places like Halloween Town. Cast it and stand under them while they're in a corner. If you do it right they'll be bounced into a wall and you can just stand there obtaining more bounces while occasionally recasting Aeroa/Aeroga. You'll get over 5k exp for 100 bounces plus some items. Just make sure to have Ethers and equip items that extend your maximum MP for longer duration Aeroa/Aerogas.

I'm giving up on the stones after trying to get them from those pink snipers in traverse town. I read up on the rest and they're equally as irritating.

I'm down to just needing to level up to 100, beat the hidden bosses and the final boss and to also to the Hades cup time trial.

What's the best way to do that TT? For the hercules cup you could exploit the timer glitch during the herc fight but is there anything like that in the Hades one?

I figure the order of things for me should be to beat the TT, then farm rock titan for exp until i'm at a high enough level to take on the secret bosses.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ventana posted:

The time trial is very straight forward if you use magic. If you're going to level 100 before hand, you shouldn't have much issue with anything.

Use Thundaga to kill everything that isn't immune. Use limits to kill bosses if you aren't confident in fighting them. I don't remember if you can use Gravity on the Behemoth there, but if it did that'd help too. Have lots of ethers on everyone. Tell Donald not to use magic, and have Goofy setup to use MP Gift. You'll still want to be a high enough level to where you don't have to worry about much, maybe something in the 70-80's if you aren't confident?

Really though, you should be using Ultima weapon, since it really is good for everything and helps a lot. If not, use Divine Rose for a physical keyblade and Diamond dust for a magic keyblade imo.

To me, it sounds like you should probably grind for EXP first before tackling the time trials or secret bosses, if you're going to go that route. There's no reason not to just do that first if you're already set on it.

Yeah, i just managed to clear it.

I don't think i'm going to be able to get the ultimat weapon due to the pain in the arse item synthesis requirements for the stones.

I've beaten Unknown and whatever the desert secret boss is called though. Sephiroth is still kicking my rear end even when i try to cheese him with strike raid and i had a good go at phantom before getting my poo poo pushed in time after time. I think i need to read up on how to beat that one again.

edit: Phantom beaten. Just Sephiroth left.

Kin fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 26, 2017

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Welp, that's Sephiroth down too. I think i just have a better grasp of playing KH now after years of playing the sequels compared to playing it fresh back on the PS2.

I didn't even end up cheesing thet fight with strike raid, just dodged a lot and made liberal use of second chance/curaga before wailing on him.

I'm still tempted to try building the ultimata keyblade but i know the grinding for it is going to be too tedious to bear. I've still not managed to successfully beat those sniper enemies for a single power gem, never mind anything else like the goos.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I just finished up KH and moved onto CoM. I've never played it before and it's quite... different.

I just beat the first boss of traverse town and I sort of get what the mechanics are but it feels liek so much has been left unexplained, like the map, etc. (i've got a room wiht a floating blue card on it and i'm assuming it means i've missed a card?)

The battles are also quite clunky though i expect this is because i'm at the beginning of the game.

Are there any general tips to make the combat a hell of a lot easier? I read on gfaqs that there's a trick to get infinite exp near the beginning by glitching the boss in 100 acre woods and there's a way of getting infinite moogle points (i've not even reached a moogle shop yet) without having to fight enemies.

Edit: my main problem at the minute is that my attacks keep getting deflected because they're not strong enough. I've just entered the second floor and set the world as Wonderland but I don't know if that makes things easier or harder.

Kin fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 27, 2017

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

It might look like an action game but you have to play it like a card game, do it right and the enemies literally can't attack you, wait until they play a card then break it with a sleight, higher number card or 0. 0 can break anything but should be saved for big boss attacks.
I struggled with it for a huge amount of time because I refused to engage with the card side of things and mostly left it up to luck because that'll get you through most random battles but the bosses will eat you alive.

Hmm, the more i think of all of this, the more it feels like it's going to be a chore to play.

I think i'll just go watch the cutscenes on youtube or something.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Bloody hell, the story of Chain of Memories is cool and all but the reuse of the same environmental assets just makes it 3 hours of :words:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Wow, the beginning of KH2 makes so much more sense after playing through CoM and 358/2 first.

Knowing about all the Xemnas stuff coming up in BBS seems to help with all the confusing & mysterous 'double talk' stuff too.

I'm beginning to wonder if its less made up as it goes along and instead theres the half written scribles of this crazy intricate plot that are just being released in a random order with each new game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

It also explains why Axel is Roxas' friend, where Roxas' virtual buddies come from and why their real counterparts don't know who he is (he never actually hung out with them).

There's too many questionable gaps at the beginning of KH2 for it not all have to have been planned out somewhere only to be massively disected and reconnected across multiple games.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

In KH2 is there a way to become totally overpowered like there was in KH1?

I've had a go at some of the lingering shadow bosses of whatever they're called and they just wipe the floor with me.

That could be because I'm only level 25 though.

The keyblade situation also feels really different to how I remember the original KH2. It seems like there's not really a sense of progressive upgrades.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Having just done it, I think the fastest form grind spots are

Valor: mushroom 13 in the treasure room at Agrebah due to its insane health regen.

Wisdom: timeless river mickeys house. Spam your fire spell to kill waves of weak enemies.

Limit: anywhere there's a save spot near enemies. Hit L1 and circle then spam triangle. You get 2 per mp bar, 3 near the end of the game.

Master: beasts Castle dungeon. Equip the skill that gives more drive orbs, then go to town on the statue enemies next door. Gives about 60 points in under 30 seconds.

Final: Yen sids tower staircase. Use your fire spell to instantly kill almost all the enemies.

Summons: Stitch at the final save point before castle oblivion. Go back to the tower and summon him then use the ukalayle limit. Eats up like 4 drive bars instantly. This only really works if you have it up to level 4 or so already though.

Anyone able to explain the cheese method for sephiroth? I hear it involves spamming the limit break.

edit: and if there's a way to cheese marluxia too, that would be great.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Welp, at level 99 both sephiroth and marluxia are chumps.

Those data battles are ridiculous though. I keep getting stunlocked to death.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

Check out a GDQ run of them and learn how to stunlock them instead!

After watching a speedrun video i'm glad i've given up on ever being that good at video games.

The timing and precision required for some of those is just insane.

It was a critical/lv1 speed run, but i don't imagine it being any easier at level 99 save for doing a little more damage.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Augus posted:

If you're not level 1, you get Second Chance/Once more, which helps a lot to learn how to deal with them because you can actually take hits and live. And apparently the game scales damage up exponentially; so you won't feel much of a damage difference on data org at level 70 but you'll be doing a lot more damage at 99. You can visibly see how much faster it is if you compare the GDQ run to this different speedrun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3kNBthZM8U

If i could actually tell what he was doing in that video i'd do it as well. From what i can see he's equipping the Atlantica keyblade and spamming firaga whilst in Final form?

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 9, 2017

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Can someone remind me how to get ridiculously overpowered in BBS?

I forgot about the weird action command "buy your moves" thing the game implemented.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Is there an easier way to level up past about level 50 in BBS. It just turns into a massive slog right about there, even with things like mickey's d-link.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Augus posted:

not really, around 50 is when you'll be hitting the damage caps everywhere that matters.

Well, i can get through the main game fine at about 50, it was just for any optional bosses i've not come across yet. Also a sense of completion as i've hit 99 with all the other games so far i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I just started dream drop distance. What's the method to get insanely overpowered?

This dream eater belly rub mechanic seems like a massive chore.