Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I don't care if the plot is convoluted and/or melodramatic, or that the fan folowing is mainly crazy people, the games in this that include or play like the PS2 originals and don't rehash levels(so basically the two numbered entries, Birth By Sleep, and presumably the 3DS one) are damned fun. Dream Drop Distance is definitely a big reason for me to pick up a 3DS next year, unless something goes horribly wrong and it turns out lovely somehow.

I'd say that the original had the most charm to it (and more novelty since the experience was fresh back then), but KH2 and BBS both improved the battle system quite a bit. I'd actually say that BBS is the best in the series despite technically being a portable spinoff; the moves you can pull off in it are crazy and I like the interconnected story idea it had going on.

Rascyc posted:

How is the voice acting in these games? This is probably the only gaping hole in my RPG experience. Mixing Disney voices with JRPG characters always seemed like a possible recipe for disaster.

They get back the vast majority of the original Disney voices (Those that are still alive at least), but I find the voice acting for the original characters to be good as well. A lot of people seemed to have problems with the acting for the BBS leads, though.

Behonkiss fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

That aside, Billy Zane turned in a loving fantastic performance as the first game's villain. Too bad he dropped out of the cast in all other appearances.

The fact that Xehanort (I think Xemnas too) was voiced in subsequent games by the guy who voiced Batou in Ghost of the Shell (as well as motherfucking BOBOBO) made up for it. Leonard Nimoy was awesome in BBS, too.

Also, I haven't finished BBS yet (Still need to finish Ventus), but do they ever explain why the Unversed never appear in the games that take place later?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Ezzer posted:

gently caress, Leonard Nimoy was in BBS?

How much are PSPs going for these days?

Yup. Mark Hamill, too.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Birth By Sleep is seriously one of my favorite PSP games. If you liked the first two KH games at all and own a PSP, you should definitely check it out.

Campbell posted:

The PS2 games were family favorites, and one of the rare franchises that I actually stuck it out to beat rather that just burning out/getting bored. Since getting our PS3, we keep looking for a new Kingdom Hearts but it seems like the franchise has no plans to go to it which sucks. Oh well, the kids are getting 3DSs this year, so the upcoming game might be something to pick up!

I read somewhere that the main KH team has been in development hell on that Final Fantasy XIII Versus game, which has been the main roadblock in getting a proper KH3 off the ground. They need to hand that to a new developer a la Metal Gear or just can it, because I want that third game.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Man, as cool as it is to have a Hunchback/France level in Dream Drop Distance, the lack of Tony Jay is going to be really noticeable. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyS3weMlxLA

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

LemonLimeTime posted:

Hahah that explains the awful awful writing. Make it up as we go along!

To be fair (And I actually posted about this in the PSP thread a few months back), I liked the twist of just what Xehanort wanted Terra for at the end. As someone else said, I should have recognized that hairstyle sooner.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Billy Zane played Ansem/Xehanort's Heartless in KH1 and never again. Richard Epcot's decent, but he just can't fill Zane's shoes. Shame.

"Darkness conquers ALL WORLDS!"

Richard Epcar, not Epcot. You're letting that Disney vibe influence your recollection of actor's names.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

LemonLimeTime posted:

On the note of Epic Mickey...my old roommate and I picked it up as one of our first Wii games and like presentation aside, good god did that game have terrible rear end controls. We sold it the next day. It's practically unplayable. Makes me wonder how they're going to handle those problems with the second one.

I think the second one's not going to be Wii-exclusive this time around, so maybe they'll focus on giving the 360 and PS3 versions better control and camera schemes.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Sora, why did you dye your hair?

I've said the same thing about Kairi & Shiki forever, though her facial design in this game looks different enough for it to be less noticeable.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I've said this to people before, and I don't know the likelihood of it, but a genius idea for an Enchanted level would be starting out in Andalasia, then going into New York, and making everything and everyone much more photo-realistic, meaning you'd have a Sora that looks more like he'd belong in FF13 or something and a duck and a dog fighting alongside you. It would be hilarious, but I don't know how well Enchanted fared in Japan (Or if it even came out there - but if Tron & Pirates apparently did, I think it has a chance).

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

MARTY TURKEY posted:

Here's a little preview some guy wrote of KH3D

http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/24/kingdom-hearts-3d-preview/

It's ok. I'm still not sure what everyone's obsession with Kingdom Hearts 3 is. Birth By Sleep is as important to the series as a numbered title, and is an amazing game to boot. But for some reason because it didn't have a number in the title it's insignificant? He says this game is a "great place to jump back into the series," as though nothing good has happened since KHII.

Other than that, he praises the graphics, talks a little bit about his experience. I guess if you are hungry for anything about the game, here you go.

Birth By Sleep was indeed awesome, and I think this game should be good as well, but one of the things that comes down to it is that we haven't had a KH game with a modern budget on an HD console yet. Say what you will about FF13, but that game looked stunning, and I would love to see the KH art style upgraded like that. Also, BBS and 3D have had about half the amount of different worlds compared to KH2, while the DS games didn't do anything new at all. And for those who still care about the plot, Nomura has been teasing that KH3, whenever it's made, will be the big wrapping up of the series' story arc.

Plus, I just really want some Tangled and Pixar worlds.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Speedball posted:

I know it's a pipe dream, but I still say KH would do well if they plundered the Disney Afternoon cartoons for characters/situations. You could do a whole Darkwing Duck level with Sora, Donald and Goofy as superheroes and Megavolt as a villain, you could introduce Goofy's son Max who'd be like a squire knight to Goofy's captain of the guard, and of course, Gargoyles!

I've honestly thought that Max would be a serviceable Goofy replacement for a while (Moreso the teen version from the movie). And as Disney TV cartoons go, Phineas and Ferb has been a monster hit for them and does air in Japan also, so I think that has a shot of appearing in the future.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Finally buckled down and completely wrapped up Birth By Sleep today in anticipation of Tuesday. Great game, interesting ending, and while I know coherency isn't the series' strong suit, is there any explanation out there for what the hell that light was that saved Aqua from the giant Heartless at the very end?

Honestly, the reviews that say KH3D is the best portable spinoff game in the series have me very excited after how much fun BBS surprisingly was. And if they take all these gameplay enhancements they've been adding (Command decks, Flowmotion) and add big-budget HD graphics and some really great worlds to KH3 after this...Oh boy.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

ImpAtom is right, basically it's FRIENDSHIP. But did you get the most important part about Sora and Ventus's hearts being linked? It's kind of a dick move, but the very first scene in the game is incredibly important. This also explains why Sora has the Keyblade.

Do you mean the scene with Xehanort dropping Ventus off on Destiny Islands? I still don't know what the significance of that was. According to the KH Wikia, which is a godsend for a series as crazy as this, the answer to my earlier question is that the light that saved Aqua was actually Terra and Ven's Keyblades together. Guess they had to go somewhere after being swallowed up.

I'm also shocked to find out that BBS's secret ending is apparently something of actual story significance, and not another pre-rendered proof-of-concept teaser. I'm never going to 100% the game on Normal, so it's off to YouTube.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Got DDD/KH3D/whatever and am up to The Grid and am loving it so far. One question: Do I have to go back to Traverse Town every time I want to play Flick Rush, or is there a more convenient way for it somewhere?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I have to say that I'm guessing quite a few people who play this who never played The World Ends With You will either burst out laughing or have a very confused look when Joshua sprouts angel wings out of nowhere and flies away.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Watched the secret ending cause I'm poor and can't afford all these systems and all these games.

That is a pretty big deal. But all I care about is if they are going to do a Tangled world in KH3 :v:

edit: also you got Mandy Moore once, you can do it again for Rapunzel SQUARE

This almost feels like a given. It and Princess and the Frog (Which I'm betting on appearing in some way as well) are the most "traditional" Disney films of the past decade, and I read it was their most successful animated film since The Lion King. They'd be nuts not to include it.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Don't listen to that guy, Treasure Planet is awesome.

It's cool stylistically, but just wasn't that memorable for me. I remember the villains in particular being really weak. What's funny is that it was the dream project for a long time for the famed Disney directing duo of John Musker and Ron Clements, but Disney was hesitant to make it until those two had proved they could put out some hits. Turns out Disney might have had the right idea.

That said, it WOULD make a cool world, but the only way it would ever make it into a KH game was if it pulled a Tron and went from being a flop to a cult hit somehow.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Does anyone know what to do if I can't access Link Portals, even when I'm right on top of them in the map? Apparently they're the only way to get certain ingredients, and I'm looking to grind a couple of them to make some rare Dream Eaters.

EDIT: Doing a little research on GameFAQs indicates that you have to have the map zoomed in to be able to tap them. Weird.

Behonkiss fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 5, 2012

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Ugh, gently caress Riku's last The World That Never Was boss (Ansem's second phase). They have some cheap attacks that I can't figure out how to avoid, and the main advice I'm getting from GameFAQs is to grind six more levels and play a lot of Flick Rush for certain moves. Anyone know how to avoid those masses of laser beams and giant orbs flying at you when he pushes you away?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Also I'd like to see a Roger Rabbit and Enchanted world :shobon:

I've been saying for a while now that an Enchanted world would be amazing if they started out in Giselle's world, popped into New York, and made all the characters super high-poly and realistic-looking like FF13 or something - including making Donald and Goofy look like regular animals, a la Pip in the movie.

It'll never happen because something like that is probably too crazy even for this series, but it's a fun pipe dream.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Confirmed for European and PAL regions too.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I might have asked this question a while ago, but today I decided to start a fresh playthrough of KH3D, hoping to beat it this time. The boss I remember hitting a brick wall with was in the last level with Riku, and was I want to say it was Xehanort's Heartless/KH1 Ansem, where he keeps retreating into the distance and throwing a ton of projectiles at you. I remember certain moves being recommended that I hadn't earned. Can anyone tell me what they are? Also, do the following fights, including both Sora's final bosses and anything that comes afterward, have any moves that are must-haves?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

miscellaneous14 posted:

I just finished it a few days ago, and goddamn there are so many annoying bosses at the end. For Young Xehanort I had to just spam Balloon and hope he didn't use that loving whip attack, or that he wouldn't just destroy me instantly anytime I got to the second phase.

It's like every final boss needs to be Sephiroth now. I really hope they don't pull that poo poo in KH3.

As much as I liked KH3D, I never beat it because I found one of Riku's last bosses (KH1 Ansem/Xehanort's Heartless/The Villain Formerly Voiced By Billy Zane} next to impossible with my current moveset. I've started a new file pretty recently though, and hope to beat the game before the remixes start coming out.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
http://youtu.be/npjBHFb0fZM
For those who missed it. God drat, it's amazing how so little can get me so pumped.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

Thankfully they'll let you skip cutscenes this time.

Right??

KH3D did, and I THINK Birth By Sleep did as well, so we should be safe in that regard.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Gaseous Snake posted:

So according to Siliconera KH3 is being developed by the Birth By Sleep team. This is good news!

Agreed. Not just because Birth By Sleep was the best in the series from a gameplay perspective, but also because it might mean that we don't have to keep waiting for the FFXV team to finish that first, so hopefully this development cycle won't be a FF13 repeat.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

miscellaneous14 posted:

That'll probably end up being their justification for bringing Heartless back in KH3, if the trailer is any indication.

Wait, were they eradicated in KH2? I don't remember that.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Squirtle Squadee posted:

I'm a little late on finding out about 1.5, but I just came to say how angry I am that Birth By Sleep wasn't included in the game. I really didn't want to read an LP because I wanted to enjoy it for myself, but it looks like I'm never going to get to play that game.

There's always the chance that they'll include it with the inevitable remastering of KH2.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I have to say that I'm not too happy with the difficulty spike KH1 and Re:COM seem to have gotten for this compilation. I know it's been a long time since I played the originals, but I don't recall having to grind for half an hour to have a shot against early bosses like Trickmaster and Cerberus.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
The PS3 cutscene compilation was my first exposure to Days (It's the only one I never bothered touching at all, though I didn't get far in Re: Coded before giving up on that as well), and by God is a lot of the main plot boring. I could only watch so many ice-cream-on-the-tower contemplative discussions at a time. It did get a little interesting at the end, though I do think it preemptively spoils one of the more interesting twists in KH2, that being Oh poo poo, KH1 Ansem is alive? Psyche, it's Riku.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
When exactly does synthesis become available in KH1 Final Mix? I'm halfway through Agrabah right now, and the store was still closed the last time I visited Twilight Town.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

I hope this comes from Disney no longer requiring the rule that all Disney movies must never interact ever.

It always kind of baffled me that they made that rule, yet made House of Mouse around the exact same time.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I think Christopher Lee as DiZ was actually stated to be a scheduling issue. Like they intended for him to voice DiZ several times, but due to the games being recorded while he's busy they have to keep casting him as Corey Burton. It's a really weird thing where they could get him for Days where he barely has spoken dialogue, yet Corey Burton voices him in RECom, BBS, and 3D.

The upside to this is that, unlike Billy Zane & Richard Epcar, Burton does a dead-on Lee impression, so it's not too big a loss.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Philosopher King posted:

So is it too late to put Frozen in the next Kingdom Hearts game?

Considering that KH3 is very far from finished and that Frozen just beat Toy Story 3 to become the highest-grossing animated film ever, I would be baffled if it wasn't included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Exactly what voice acting would they be recording for 2.5HD? Everything is already voice acted.

Did Re: Coded have an Agrabah level? I think they're re-recording the dialog for the HD version, like they did with Days.