Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

You do realize he's a character right? If not that's awesome.

Ha, well I guess that's awesome then. :blush: Being honest, I didn't know who any of the people were from the last episodes of the show (I downloaded the brand episode seeing his name).

Honestly I'm not one of those "Oh *insert famous person* who are they *snark*". I just have huge blind spots for this stuff.

I consume loads of american culture in the music/journalism/games etc areas but not really in others.

A dumb example was that I was just playing GTA4 last night and heard Rick Shapiro on one of the radio stations and thought to myself "thats that guy from marc maron's podcast".

So I'm getting my cultural references in a weird backwards way if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The Kurt Braunohler episode is good.

And I wouldn't feel too bad about knowing who Tony Clifton is. Really the only way most people under 40 would know him is if they saw Man on the Moon.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Killer Beaz was a really interesting interview. Funeral Homes running ambulance services?!?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

spamman posted:

Killer Beaz was a really interesting interview. Funeral Homes running ambulance services?!?

Yeah that does sound like a pretty major conflict of interest. Maybe they drive up in a hearse.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Killer Beaz has been doing stand-up at Zanies in Nashville seemingly every month for my entire life and it's surreal for me to even think about him in another context.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
FYI: One is short for one love.

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde

temple posted:

FYI: One is short for one love.

I thought it was just something Donnell made up to mess with Marc.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
The latest episode with Jack White is, in my opinion, one of the two types of interviews that go really well on WTF, which are:

a) Interviews Marc does with people he's known for a long time where there is a ton of history and shared experiences. Louis CK, Patton Oswalt, etc.

b) Interviews Maron does with people where he has common interests but is either intimidated or impressed enough by the guests that he doesn't feel the need to interject his opinions in at a near-constant rate. This leads to a really interesting interview and gives the guest in question a chance to really expound on his/her ideas. Jack White, Stephen Toblowski, etc.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Your option B applies to the recent Regan interview, too. I've liked his comedy for fifteen years but didn't know much about him. Marc was so in awe that the interview had a really interesting tone. Recommend it.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Just met Marc the other day. Very friendly and eager to talk. He gave me a sticker :)

edit; I live in Nashville and I met him immediately after his Jack White interview. He seemed like he was still pretty excited.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 25, 2012

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Neal Brennan totally called Marc out on his poo poo on that live episode. He absolutely does talk down to some (Younger) comedians whether he realises he's doing it or not. It's great to hear someone do it but it's a shame it gets brushed to the side.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
It's been mentioned to him in the past. Mike Birbiglia and Ira Glass both said it, I believe. Both times Marc reacted pretty sheepishly about it.

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
Just listened to the Brian Regan episode and got reminded how hilarious that guy is. Went back and listened to one of his specials and the pop-tart bit is the hardest I have laughed in a very long time.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The JB Smooth interview was really good. He really made some good points in a classically comedic way. His little stories had a point and he worked his jokes back into the interview. I was impressed.

Tony Millionaire was pretty good until he discussed his parents and it became weird as hell. Funny/art people are hosed up.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

temple posted:

The JB Smooth interview was really good. He really made some good points in a classically comedic way. His little stories had a point and he worked his jokes back into the interview. I was impressed.

At first it seemed like that was going to be one of the worst episodes, the way he wouldn't stop doing his schtick even when Mark was trying to help him out of his bits. If anyone else was as disappointed as me from the start, it gets better.

I was super psyched to hear Tony Millionaire, good going Mark! His art is great, I bought an original from his site a while back.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Snowy posted:

At first it seemed like that was going to be one of the worst episodes, the way he wouldn't stop doing his schtick even when Mark was trying to help him out of his bits. If anyone else was as disappointed as me from the start, it gets better.

This happened to me. I stopped listening yesterday, but then came back to it today and finished it. There are some really sincere and heart warming stories. I felt really good for him regarding the Curbed story.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Could someone say when it gets better? I tapped out pretty hard about ten minutes into the interview (twenty into the episode), but would like to go back. Not to make it a "thing," but I've really enjoyed Marc's efforts to bring black comics on the show: Kevin Hart and Donnell Rawlings were two of the better interviews about comedy (versus biography) I heard recently.

Speaking of "biography" - Marc Maron vs. Fiona Apple. :munch:

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

The Modern Leper posted:

Speaking of "biography" - Marc Maron vs. Fiona Apple. :munch:
Jesus Christ, I thought you were kidding about that. Looking forward to listening to that, because it will be either great or a train wreck. I feel like her personality and his are going to clash.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

kuddles posted:

Jesus Christ, I thought you were kidding about that. Looking forward to listening to that, because it will be either great or a train wreck. I feel like her personality and his are going to clash.

It was good, not great but definitely humanized her a bit.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I don't know anything about Fiona Apple. What would the problem have been with her?

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
She's kind of very much way out there. I would love to know the behind the scenes on how this one came about because it is really random.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

She's kind of very much way out there. I would love to know the behind the scenes on how this one came about because it is really random.

They mention that they were talking the night before and decided to do the interview on a whim. She seems to be big into the Largo scene and is very familiar with comedy podcasts. She mentions listening to Todd Glass's podcast specifically.

I find it funny that both she and Maron feel hated by Paul F Tompkins.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
she has been on comedy bang bang before iirc.

Edit: I might be thinking of an old loveline episode.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Listening to the Fiona Apple podcast made my head hurt. Marc lets his guest drive and she was driving all over the place. I don't think I laughed.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Don't think you were necessarily supposed to laugh. She's not a comedian.

You kinda have to buy into the whole Fiona "thing" to get into the interview, but I think it was pretty great to hear her talk in this long form format. The OCD discussion explains A LOT, though.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Remember how Tony Millionaire mentioned that his ex-girlfriend does something involving getting paid to hug and snuggle? Could this be who he was referring to?

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The John Oliver ep is pretty great

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

jyrka posted:

I don't know anything about Fiona Apple. What would the problem have been with her?
She's probably as messed up relationship-wise as Marc is (at least going by her lyrics) so they might have found common ground there.

But she also tends to be incredibly serious all the time so it might have turned out to be really boring. Also, she has a history of being extremely cold or confrontational if she feels someone isn't being genuine with her. If Marc had one of those interviews where he was incredibly fawning and asking inane questions or conversely tried to play armchair psychologist and hammer on about one moment in her life, I could see things go downhill really fast.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Does anybody know what Marc's baggage with Jon Stewart is, or have any idea of an interview where he goes into it?

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

-Atom- posted:

Does anybody know what Marc's baggage with Jon Stewart is, or have any idea of an interview where he goes into it?

From what I've gathered, Marc treated Jon pretty badly in the early days and Jon did not take it well, and basically threw it back in his face when Marc got hired for Short Attention Span Theatre on Comedy Central(a job Jon had left).

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Lost For Words posted:

The John Oliver ep is pretty great

This...Seriously if you rarely listen to WTF depending on the guest, listen to this one. The soccer stuff had me rolling.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

-Atom- posted:

I'm not sure if it's at all related, but I seem to recall Marc mentioning that Jon MCd the showcase where he auditioned for SNL. And he did mention his Jon issues in the same breath as his Lorne issues.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

kuddles posted:

She's probably as messed up relationship-wise as Marc is (at least going by her lyrics) so they might have found common ground there.

But she also tends to be incredibly serious all the time so it might have turned out to be really boring. Also, she has a history of being extremely cold or confrontational if she feels someone isn't being genuine with her. If Marc had one of those interviews where he was incredibly fawning and asking inane questions or conversely tried to play armchair psychologist and hammer on about one moment in her life, I could see things go downhill really fast.

Thread's moved on, but Marc and Fiona apparently knew each other before, so the conversation flowed pretty smoothly. Not surprisingly, Marc stumbled into a trigger (Fiona was sexually assaulted at 13), but he had enough sense not to press it.

I would compare it to the Joel McHale interview: pleasant and revealing if you like the celebrity, but nothing inherently fascinating if you're not already on board.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

Thread's moved on, but Marc and Fiona apparently knew each other before, so the conversation flowed pretty smoothly. Not surprisingly, Marc stumbled into a trigger (Fiona was sexually assaulted at 13), but he had enough sense not to press it.

I would compare it to the Joel McHale interview: pleasant and revealing if you like the celebrity, but nothing inherently fascinating if you're not already on board.

Marc and Fiona knew each other before because Fiona Apple is a fan of WTF and emailed him out of the blue and they text each other about bugs, which is probably the most mindboggling thing to come out of WTF in months.

ehonna_disco
Apr 26, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hadn't listened to the Rick Shapiro interview until today, and holy poo poo it's one of my all-time favorites.

-Atom- posted:

Jon Stewart is extremely successfully and almost universally respected.
That, alone, is reason enough for Marc Maron to resent him.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Marc opened today's interview with Ryan Stout with a story about his girlfriend begging him to have a baby, Marc yelling at her about how she can't even clean up after herself let alone a baby, girlfriend cleans the house and asks him if she had passed "the baby test"...

:stare:

Is this the same woman who stalked her way into a relationship with him?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Yes.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What is a 'street joke'? Racist/sexist?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Jippa posted:

What is a 'street joke'? Racist/sexist?

Basically the kinda joke you would hear on the street . . . the jokes your funny friend tells. It's used to denigrate "easy laugh" jokes that don't come from a particular voice or personality.

EDIT: Think Jackie Martling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rabbit Hill posted:

Marc opened today's interview with Ryan Stout with a story about his girlfriend begging him to have a baby, Marc yelling at her about how she can't even clean up after herself let alone a baby, girlfriend cleans the house and asks him if she had passed "the baby test"...

:stare:

Is this the same woman who stalked her way into a relationship with him?

He told that joke at his show last night, too.

• Locked thread