Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ccubed posted:

Go into chrome://flags/ and disable anything with 2023.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Holy poo poo it's so ugly

The specific thing I disabled was "Chrome Refresh 2023". Guess I need to actually find a new Chromium-like browser to use for non-Firefox things soon

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ccubed posted:

This new UI is fugly. Go into chrome://flags/ and disable anything with 2023.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Holy poo poo it's so ugly

The specific thing I disabled was "Chrome Refresh 2023". Guess I need to actually find a new Chromium-like browser to use for non-Firefox things soon

Thanks for this both - the new UI was loving awful, especially displaying tabs. Some of them have a line to separate, some of them don't! Why? Who knows! Which tab do I have active? Who knows - there's nothing in the UI to indicate this!

:barf:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Google Chrome: Disable 2023 to go back to the good ol' days.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

This could help peeps who hate twitter/x like I do https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/nitter-redirect/mohaicophfnifehkkkdbcejkflmgfkof

Nitter really neatly sums up all the stuff you need.

Helluva fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 6, 2024

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Cya boys, just got my Arc For Windows invite!

Also, just got my Arc invite, ama!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

are you more productive

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
No, it seems like right now the windows build is just getting started, and is barely different than chrome. It doesn't even have a settings menu.

Seems like they update weekly though, so excited to see where it goes, but way to early to get excited at this point.

Here is a nice video I found showing it off, and showing where it's at at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvAabjAjmSo

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is there any reason my audio in chrome would be uncharacteristically quiet? It's hard to hear youtube and twitch, but the mixer appears fine:

That's as high as the chrome audio bar seems to peak. The windows system noises are loud, but anything in browser seems quiet.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I disable the touchpad gesture where scrolling left = clicking on the back button? In Firefox it's browser.gesture.swipe.left in about :config but I don't see anything similar in Chrome.

I found this:

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/5616407/how-do-you-turn-off-the-back-trackpad-gesture?hl=en

But I have no chrome://flags/#overscroll-history-navigation flag.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sometimes you're reading an article and halfway down they have a button to continue and reveal the rest of it. I'm sure this is some ad boosting trickery, but I'm wondering if someone can explain why/how this is

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Helluva posted:

This could help peeps who hate twitter/x like I do https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/nitter-redirect/mohaicophfnifehkkkdbcejkflmgfkof

Nitter really neatly sums up all the stuff you need.

Nitter’s days are numbered, unfortunately. The instance I use, nitter.poast.org, is still kicking, but when it dies, I just don’t think I’ll bother any more.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

codo27 posted:

Sometimes you're reading an article and halfway down they have a button to continue and reveal the rest of it. I'm sure this is some ad boosting trickery, but I'm wondering if someone can explain why/how this is

Probably makes it easier to throw up a paywall after a certain number of articles have been read instead of a button to show more of the article.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

codo27 posted:

Forcing an interaction with the page changes some rules about cookie expiration/blocking. Probably for paywall tracking and tracking in general.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Chrome just popped up something asking if I wanted to use AI for some dumb poo poo. I quickly dismissed it, but I'm wondering if there are any flags I need to set to makre sure...

Running Chrome 122.0.6261.129 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Kheldarn posted:

Chrome just popped up something asking if I wanted to use AI for some dumb poo poo. I quickly dismissed it, but I'm wondering if there are any flags I need to set to makre sure...

Running Chrome 122.0.6261.129 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Wondering about this too. What are people switching to now that Chrome continues to get worse?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Deviant posted:

Wondering about this too. What are people switching to now that Chrome continues to get worse?

Arc (can't speak for the Windows beta) and Firefox are the best two

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Firefox has been working well for me for about a year now

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Deviant posted:

I use brave, as I like native vertical tabs. might check out arc when its out of beta or whatever.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Doesnt Arc come with AI already in?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ccubed posted:

This new UI is fugly. Go into chrome://flags/ and disable anything with 2023.

Chrome has updated its UI for me, I've reset flags and redisabled the 2023 entries but nothing has changed. Anything new to try now?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just live with it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
We're approaching the point where the least invasive way to do that will be to locate and install an older version, and then break Google update.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

sauer kraut posted:

The only possible lead I found was searching for Refresh 2023 in chrome://flags and disabling both of the results & restarting.
It only seems to happen when you have too many plugins putting their own lines in that menu.

After this recent update, my right click menu was padded enough that it required scrolling to see all the options.
Quoting this because they did it again.
Found a reddit thread on it though.
https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/1bjd74f/new_chrome_design_comparison_and_the_flags_to/

And making sure these 2 were disabled fixed it for me.

chrome-refresh-2023
customize-chrome-side-panel

Specifically that second option was what did it for me, since I changed the first one last time.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 24, 2024

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Awesome, this fixed it for me. Thanks!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Is this where we go to gripe about Google in general? Because I got this fun email today:

quote:

We're letting you know about a forthcoming change to draft reviews on Google Maps.

Here's what you need to know:

•Review drafts will no longer be supported. Starting July 16th, existing drafts will be removed and you will be unable to save new drafts on Google Maps.

Actions to take by July 16th:

•Make sure to finish and publish any reviews in progress.
•If you wish to download existing draft reviews, please do so by July 16th. Here's how:
1.Go to Google Takeout
2.Select "Maps (your places)"
3.Follow the instructions to download your data

We appreciate your understanding and thank you for being a valuable member of the Google Maps community.

Now, this actually doesn't affect me in any way; I just find it hilarious that they're apparently so hard up for server space that they're Google Graveyarding random features nobody even uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like Google screwed something up with Version 124.0.6367.61 (Official Build) (64-bit), because icons on tabs are now aligned to the top of the tab:

According to Reddit, it's because they're removing the old UI, and will be forcing everyone to use the new UI with the scrolling menus that EVERYONE hates.