Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I've set up a new work computer and have installed Chrome on it (Windows 10, running under Bootcamp on a MacBook Pro). For some reason Chrome will randomly fail to resolve requests. There seems to be nothing in common between the requests that it fails on. Sometimes it's the initial page load, sometimes it's a CSS, JS or some other requested file within the page, sometimes it's an AJAX call. It happens on any site, not just a particular domain or anything like that.

When I say "failed", I mean the requests take a long time and then eventually time out. I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome. I've removed all of the userdata from the machine and even removed some of the registry stuff that I saw suggested somewhere after Googling for the issue. But nothing seems to work. Has anyone ever seen this before?

By the way, IE and Firefox work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
If any of you use Better History, remove it. It's been redirecting my unused tabs to unanalytics, which Chrome has blocked as an unsafe site.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is it possible to make my bookmarks bar show only the icons? Googling suggests that I have to manually edit each bookmark and delete the title but there must be an option to just "show icons only" isn't there?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it possible to make my bookmarks bar show only the icons? Googling suggests that I have to manually edit each bookmark and delete the title but there must be an option to just "show icons only" isn't there?

Nope.

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018
Has anyone tried the 'Privacy Possum' extension that is supposed to be like "Privacy Badger on Steroids"?

I just saw it referenced vaguely on other websites and was wondering if it actually is any better. I generally prefer to use Privacy Badger instead of other ad blockers since it uses heuristics instead of a white/blacklist, and seems to catch more ads than ublock.

It's also neat that I can literally just install PB and not have to fiddle with any settings, except when I might have to disable it for a website or two.

SteelReserve fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 29, 2018

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

SteelReserve posted:

Has anyone tried the 'Privacy Possum' extension that is supposed to be like "Privacy Badger on Steroids"?

I just saw it referenced vaguely on other websites and was wondering if it actually is any better. I generally prefer to use Privacy Badger instead of other ad blockers since it uses heuristics instead of a white/blacklist, and seems to catch more ads than ublock.

It's also neat that I can literally just install PB and not have to fiddle with any settings, except when I might have to disable it for a website or two.

This sort of thing I would just follow with what the EFF is saying. They do the research for this type of stuff and generally have very good recommendations. https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Chrome updated to 67.0.3396.62 and my tabs stopped opening at the end of the row. I remember I had to change a setting to get this to work many years ago, but can't find the setting or instructions for tweaking something in the the flags. All I get when searching is people complaining about TabsPlus not working. (I never had it installed.)

Any idea what I changed and how to get it back?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Since Magic Actions has apparently started throwing rather dubious "YOUR BROWSER IS OUTDATED!!!" popups, is there anything else that does generally what that does? I've been using it for so long I forgot Youtube isn't actually dark themed.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Javid posted:

I've been using it for so long I forgot Youtube isn't actually dark themed.

It actually does have a dark theme now. It’s under your avatar at the top right

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It looks like the Flash Video Downloader extension has started sending outbound traffic to hanstrackr.com. I don't know if there's anything good to replace it with, but I'd remove it if you have it.

It kept making Malwarebytes go insane.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Which Flash Video Downloader? There are a whole bunch of them.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Which Flash Video Downloader? There are a whole bunch of them.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/flash-video-downloader/aiimdkdngfcipjohbjenkahhlhccpdbc?hl=en

Have yet to find a replacement. Everyone recommends Video Professional or whatever that is but it doesn't work.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/flash-video-downloader/aiimdkdngfcipjohbjenkahhlhccpdbc?hl=en

Have yet to find a replacement. Everyone recommends Video Professional or whatever that is but it doesn't work.

If you don't mind using a command line youtube-dl is the current best online video downloader/ripper. Despite its name it works with lots of other sites in addition to YouTube (e.g. Twitch, DailyMotion, Vimeo, SoundCloud, etc.).

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It's a separate app, not a browser plug-in, but I've been using jdownloader for YouTube and everything else for ages. It seems to be able to digest anything I feed it, from pulling all the media off a Tumblr, to random video sites I'd never heard of before, to whatever else. It just monitors the clipboard so any url you copy is automatically enqueued. Pretty handy.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Okay, that's the one I had sitting idly in my extensions so I got rid of it just in case. Thanks for the heads up.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

If you don't mind using a command line youtube-dl is the current best online video downloader/ripper. Despite its name it works with lots of other sites in addition to YouTube (e.g. Twitch, DailyMotion, Vimeo, SoundCloud, etc.).

I've tried it and it doesn't seem to work for most of the sites that the extension did, but it did for a few.

Javid posted:

It's a separate app, not a browser plug-in, but I've been using jdownloader for YouTube and everything else for ages. It seems to be able to digest anything I feed it, from pulling all the media off a Tumblr, to random video sites I'd never heard of before, to whatever else. It just monitors the clipboard so any url you copy is automatically enqueued. Pretty handy.

I tried to download the ZIP file for this from http://jdownloader.org/download/ and it got flagged as a virus.

Stare-Out posted:

Okay, that's the one I had sitting idly in my extensions so I got rid of it just in case. Thanks for the heads up.

No problem! :)

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard

Javid posted:

Since Magic Actions has apparently started throwing rather dubious "YOUR BROWSER IS OUTDATED!!!" popups, is there anything else that does generally what that does? I've been using it for so long I forgot Youtube isn't actually dark themed.
I think Iridium duplicates all Magic Actions functionality without being shady. You can enable dark theme in new Youtube layout.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I've set up a new work computer and have installed Chrome on it (Windows 10, running under Bootcamp on a MacBook Pro). For some reason Chrome will randomly fail to resolve requests. There seems to be nothing in common between the requests that it fails on. Sometimes it's the initial page load, sometimes it's a CSS, JS or some other requested file within the page, sometimes it's an AJAX call. It happens on any site, not just a particular domain or anything like that.

When I say "failed", I mean the requests take a long time and then eventually time out. I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome. I've removed all of the userdata from the machine and even removed some of the registry stuff that I saw suggested somewhere after Googling for the issue. But nothing seems to work. Has anyone ever seen this before?

By the way, IE and Firefox work fine.

Still haven't found a solution for this. No wonder people are starting to drop Chrome, what a mess.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Still haven't found a solution for this. No wonder people are starting to drop Chrome, what a mess.
That's some lazy-rear end trolling right there.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

"Work computer" suggests AV and other terrible software, that's where to look first. Usual culprits are HTTP/2 failing or broken IPv6 connectivity as the browser has to implement the "Happy Eyes" protocol to failover to IPv4. idk.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cugel the Clever posted:

That's some lazy-rear end trolling right there.

To be fair, since the "Quantum" update, Firefox has been way, way better than Chrome for me in just about every category. The only reason I occasionally use Chrome is because Firefox is so good at blocking advertisers from tracking me that it blocks my clicks from cashback sites.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a readability/'reading view' extension of choice these days? Only criteria I have is that it leaves the original URL in the header, without taking the page content to a chrome-extension:// page.

I used to use 'Readability Redux', but it's somehow uninstalled itself and refuses to re-install.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

For the last few months, when I launch certain games on steam (and I guess when my screen resolution changes for other reasons, but that's the most frequent cause) chrome decides it needs to stop being full screen.

Is there an option I'm missing that could tell it to stay full screen no matter what it thinks is happening?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Zero VGS posted:

To be fair, since the "Quantum" update, Firefox has been way, way better than Chrome for me in just about every category. The only reason I occasionally use Chrome is because Firefox is so good at blocking advertisers from tracking me that it blocks my clicks from cashback sites.

The only reason I don't use Firefox full time is because (the last time I checked) it doesn't have an equivalent to profile management like Chrome has where I can click an icon and easily switch between presets of bookmark/extensions/history etc.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I still stick to Chrome because it's easy to sync it across my phone and laptop, and because it has a lot more extensions for it than Firefox (although -- is this still true?). That being said, Chrome's speed isn't an issue for me, so.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The youtube extension dark mode has broken for me in the last 12 hours. It still works on the main thumbnail part but for an individual video all the comments section is completely white and unreadable (arguably not a bad thing). Any one else getting this?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Today Stylish isn't kicking in and I look and find this:

Web store link is dead, I can turn it back on but I'd really like to know what happened to get it pulled. Do they document this poo poo anywhere?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
So that extension uses stylish?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Stylish was spyware

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
“Stylish” extension with 2M downloads banned for tracking every site visit

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

EFB, but also there's an alternative option for now, but spyware in useful extensions is probably a risk as long as extensions exist.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 27, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

EFB, but also there's an alternative option for now, but spyware in useful extensions is probably a risk as long as extensions exist.

Excellent, thanks. It even accepts a backup file from Stylish so I didn't have to go reinstall 50 different styles.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Since I'm using Chrome and you guys are talking about it maybe someone in here can help me with this. Got no replies in the technical thread

101 posted:

This seems like potentially the best place to ask this question but if it isn't let me know and I'll snip it.

This is an issue I'm having with the userstyle 'Something Awfully Wronger?' which is basically a dark theme for the forums.

For some reason every fourth post I get this annoying little bit of whitespace poking through

I've tried poking around in the css with Stylus myself but I can't seem to figure out.

I know:
  • I only notice it on Macs so it might be a retina issue.
  • It only happens on unread posts. If half a page is read that part won't be affected and it will start four posts down from the first unread one.
  • It's unrelated to SALR or the font userstyle I user

Any help from someone who knows css would be really appreciated.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Is there a way to transfer bookmarks and saved usernames/passwords to a different google account, short of doing it manually? Consolidating all my accounts and subscriptions to a new Gmail account instead of one linked to a dormant domain name.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

Is there a way to transfer bookmarks and saved usernames/passwords to a different google account, short of doing it manually? Consolidating all my accounts and subscriptions to a new Gmail account instead of one linked to a dormant domain name.
Log into Chrome with your old account and go to "chrome://bookmarks/". From the Bookmark Manager you can export all of your bookmarks to an .html file. You can then import this file in the Bookmark Manager while logged in with your new account.
For passwords, again be logged in with your old account and go to "chrome://flags/". Enable "password export" & "password import". Restart Chrome and go to "chrome://settings/passwords". From where you can export all of your saved passwords as a plain text .csv file. And after logging in with your new account, you should be able to import that same file.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

Think you can just open chrome with all the bookmarks and passwords sync'd, and then log out and then into another google account and re-sync. I'm pretty sure that's how I did it last time.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The comments are still this colour any advice?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Jippa posted:

The comments are still this colour any advice?

Just in case you didn't know: YouTube has a native dark theme. Just click your user icon (top right) and enable Dark theme.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Chrome's new design is super ugly. Feels like I've accidentally opened up an old version of Firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm just glad they finally got rid of the dumb trapezoid tabs. The inability to customize that part of the interface is what kept me switching between Chrome and Firefox.