Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Is the new tab button perpetually broken (missing graphic)? I mean, it's not a make-or-break, but it does sort of stand out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Question Mark Mound posted:

I haven't done nay special theming or anything and I still have the + on my new tab button. Should I feel left out?
I probably should have clarified. I'm using the dev branch, not stable/release where the plus symbol still shows.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
I guess the new tab button really is going to be 'plus'-less.

Oh well, happy about everything else.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

I don't think so. It bugged me for a few days when it was introduced into the beta channel, but I don't notice it at all now.

Anyone else's fonts look a little weird and blurry on their extension notifications after the change to 18?

I think this has to do with the new Skia 2D rendering engine they're using.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Finally.

HTTPS everywhere is now available for Chrome. I know KBSSL Enforcer was available, but that was a hack and didn't prevent sidejacking attacks and the like.

Now with the new resource api, things are really starting to get rolling.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Lazyhound posted:

Is there a Chrome extension that duplicates the functionality of Permit Cookies, i.e. defaults the browser to denying cookies, with an icon to choose to allow for session or permanently?

^^ Speaking of NoScript, is there a decent replacement that at least implements JS whitelisting? NotScripts seems to be abandoned.
Chrome has the functionality built in. Go into preferences > under the hood > content settings > cookies.

Set cookies to be blocked. Now, when you visit a site, a little cookie icon appears in the address bar, clicking it will give you quick access to allow or continue to block. Unfortunately, in order to do session-only cookie allowances, you have to add that entry explicitly. It's not really that hard, but it's an extra step (which you can get to through that same cookie menu).

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

wanda posted:

Just switched back from Nightly to Chromium, now that the download bar can be switched off in about :flags. Maravilloso.

Now, how long until we can fully reconfigure the interface?
Is there a good version of Chromium to download? I'd like to stay near the stable versions of Chrome, as I'm not looking to be bleeding edge. I guess getting the FreeSMUG Build might be my best bet. Or I guess I could try my luck in Chromatic.

Choices...

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
What it *appears* to do is clear cookies after the fact (either on a timer, or on a trigger). Google's built-in cookie management will actually prevent a cookie from being set if the cookie is not whitelisted. This also doesn't block things like the LocalStorage API from being used as a supercookie.

Also, by virtue of being an extension, Vanilla stores it's own whitelist of cookies. Therefore it doesn't share anything with Chrome itself.

TL;DR: Vanilla handles it as sort of 'after the fact' deletion, whereas Chrome stops a cookie being set before it happens.

I recommend using the built-in Chrome tools.

Edit: Clarity.

unruly fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 23, 2012

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

MrHyde posted:

I'll second this. Chrome's cookie handling is pretty lovely. No option to whitelist certain sites and "allow for session" the rest. As far as I can tell anyway.
You can also do wildcards, ala:
code:
[*.]google.com
I have Google set for Session Only, but you can set it to 'Allow' and it'll keep your cookies.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

MrHyde posted:

I stand thoroughly corrected. I would swear that wasn't there when I started using chrome about a year ago... Thanks guys!
You might very well be right. I'm not really sure when cookie management like that landed, but I had been using Firefox for roughly the same reason before that. So...

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Eight Is Legend posted:

I run Chrome in full screen on OS X, but lately every small pop-up window (like when you have to permit a site to use your Facebook data) has opened in full screen as well, which is pretty annoying. Anyone know how to fix this?
This is the default, annoying, behavior of Safari, too. I think the idea is that if the window becomes 'buried' it's not immediately obvious to a new user how to find it again.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

ICA posted:

Any good extensions to stop forum tables breaking? Some forums I use, idiots post loving huge pictures which stretches the screen all over the place (I don't view in maximized mode).
Probably a userscript that adds
code:
img { max-width: 100% }
to the page, but none off the top of my head.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
I feel like the odd man out.

All I have installed is my 1Password extension :o

I don't mind ads, I don't like tracking cookies, so I have an exception list in the in-built tools. Basically Chrome does what I need almost completely out-of-the-box. Especially since I don't have to install the horrible waste of resources that is Firebug.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

FISHMANPET posted:

So, why in the gently caress does Chrome require admin to be made the default browser? I'm thinking of pushing it out at work, since they've made that so easy, but the one sticking point I have is setting it as the default browser.
Because the registry setting isn't in the user's local registry hive. You're setting a machine-wide setting, thus admin access is required. I think you can push that out via GPO, though.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

FISHMANPET posted:

What about a users default browser goes into the machine hive, and why can Firefox and IE do it without requiring admin? I don't want to force people to use Chrome, I want to give them the option to use chrome.
Perhaps they're just setting the local user browser to themselves?

Actually, This TechNet forums article touches on it briefly. I guess it's a Google mandated thing?

I've seen a couple of posts around on the Chromium bug list about this, but they're all pretty old or unanswered.

Short answer: I have no idea. Is Chrome being run from their profile or is it in Program Files?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

nexus6 posted:

Does anyone know a solution to this?

It's really irritating not being able to read the full video titles, or even change the layout to a list or something.
it's likely that the text is trimmed before it's sent to you. Normally when you design a site like this, you set title attributes so that when a user hovers over an element, a tooltip with the full title comes up. Does that happen here?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

nexus6 posted:

Yes, it wasn't doing it before though. I wonder if it has something to do with disabling the Photo Zoom extension on youtube.
Google, and therefore Youtube, are pretty fickle when it comes to changes. You may be in a UI experiment where they truncate titles. These sort of A/B tests go on all the time with their normal search interface.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Zedicus Mann posted:

Or maybe a button/option to always show the downloads bar at the bottom of the window if there is a download going on.
They could add a way to scroll through all your downloads on that bar too.
I always end up turning on the 'experimental download ui' because that turns off the annoying shelf. I really wish they'd just do something.

Edit: the new SA posting interface is pretty awesome.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Thermopyle posted:

Is there some extension or something that will make embedded Youtube videos HTML5 instead of Flash?

I got so tired of Flash being lovely I disabled it. It's been fine except for when people use the wrong type of embed code for YT and all it has the Flash video embedded...
I know there was a Safari plugin to do this, but I haven't seen anything in the Chrome plugin world that does the same.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Penguissimo posted:

Does it have to be a double click? You can already right click and do this from the resulting contextual menu.
This.

You could probably write a userscript that did this, but I'm not sure how much more useful it'd be.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Mak0rz posted:

Is there any way to directly/manually edit how Chrome handles certain file types? Why is such a seemingly fundamental feature so difficult to find? :psyduck:
Nope.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Stare-Out posted:

So new things I've noticed in Chrome 21 are... A new star icon for adding a page to your favorites and the default "globe" favicon is now a blank page. And that's it.

Oh well, at least hardware accelerated Flash seems to work somewhat now. Until it breaks again.
Native access to Web Cams, Microphones and Gamepads. As well as "Retina" (HiDPI) support for systems that have it.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

ILikeVoltron posted:

This right here blew my mind, I thought all favicons were broken and started researching it. This blank icon bothers me for some reason. I nuked my profile too in the hopes that was part of the issue. Ugh. I couldn't find any documentation on it either.
From what I understand, it the decision was made to move the FAVICON from the address bar to the tab because websites were changing their icon to be a padlock icon, giving users a false sense of security.

I don't much care for the white page icon, but I can understand their reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
If you're into the host your own stuff mentality: http://feedafever.com/ is really cool.