Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Updated Chrome on my laptop yesterday to Version 72.0.3626.81 and now any tab with video in it just flashes to black screen repeatedly then locks up the browser interaction. I can still hear the video playing but cant access the browser even after it stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I'll need an extension to change the search engine on the fly.
Bing for MS rewards, and Google for normal use.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I use magic actions for YouTube which has been buggy lately.
Get an error on page load and have to reload every video to get it to play.

I really only use magic actions for its ability to let me use my scroll wheel to adjust volume, though it has all kinds of extra crap I don't use.
Anyone know of a volume adjusting extension for YouTube that doesn't cause errors?
This is assuming that its Chrome/YT making adjustments again because they don't like extensions messing with YT.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

There was a Chrome update today and now the Youtube 3 dot menu next to the videos name/poster is missing.
This menu allowed you to click 'don't recommend this channel' or 'don't show this channel'.
I loved this feature because YT recommends a load of pure trash videos because they are slightly related to things you've watched.

i.e I like Minecraft so YT would recommend Pewdiepie.
Which no one really wants.

Any other options for this?

e: weird. that menu shows up if i go incognito mode and sign in under another gmail account.

Maybe I've hit my 'don't show me poo poo videos' limit.

e2: i dont have very many extensions and don't think any of them could be screwing with it.

e3: i've used ublock origin to block some ads that youtube had been slipping into the recommended videos, by right clicking on it and blocking element.
I'm guessing thy did some naming fuckery and somehow that menu is part of the ad now.
Since the menu shows up if I disable ublock.
Weird that it took days at least for that to take affect.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 18, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I also use Ublock Origin and i'm fine.
Maybe try forcing an update on it?
Or check its options and maybe export and wipe it, to see if it works ok on default.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Speaking of tabs

https://www.engadget.com/chrome-tab-groups-10-times-faster-160053379.html

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Not sure when they added the tab grouping finally, but drat is it handy.
Must have been last week sometime.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

So on any standard webpages that are not in English chrome generally auto-translates or at least asks me if I want it to.
This, for some reason, is blocked on YouTube.

Example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKAe6r8zzJs

Is there anyway to get it to work or at the very least is there a suggested extension to make it translate?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

If you right-click on the page does it allow you to translate using the 'Translate to English' menu icon?
I don't get the address bar icon automatically popping up, but I can manually initiate a successful translation of that page through the right-click.

I have never even seen that option before, generally the icon pops up in the search bar so I have never even looked for that option.
Thanks.

Still, wonder what the reasoning behind not doing it automatically.
I'm guessing i've seen it and glazed over it for some reason

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

3.0 Jesus Patch posted:

It translated the whole page perfectly fine for me when i right clicked and clicked the translate to English:>

Maybe try clearing cache via chrome://history

I sometimes get the translation issue and when i clear the cache and restart the browser and try the page again it usually fixes the problem. Also is your Chrome the latest version ?

Yes.
All seems to be good now thanks.

I'm guessing there is just certain code in some websites that prevents them from auto translating since Amazon doesnt do it without right clicking and telling it to translate either.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I've been having a problem with Youtube for quite awhile.
Mostly on its recommended page but sometimes on its video viewing page.
Where a video from last week would show a time of a few months or even years of how old it was.
Then names would start to be switched.
I could see from the logo and thumb who it was if it was a regular video I watch but the name/descrip would be vastly different.
Then eventually on the video view page, the first and seconf recommended on the right would start to have different names/descrips.
I tried searching repeatedly but found nothing to fix it.

FInally I tried a Chrome reset.
This somehow seems to have fixed it.
Not sure why Chrome settings should have anything to do with a singular website other than the fact thats its owned by google, but then why wouldnt it.
drat, now seeing that autocorrect isnt working anymore.
Gotta figure out where that is now, thought that would have been automatically on.
This is why I didnt try reset earlier.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

OgNar posted:

I've been having a problem with Youtube for quite awhile.
Mostly on its recommended page but sometimes on its video viewing page.
Where a video from last week would show a time of a few months or even years of how old it was.
Then names would start to be switched.
I could see from the logo and thumb who it was if it was a regular video I watch but the name/descrip would be vastly different.
Then eventually on the video view page, the first and second recommended on the right would start to have different names/descrips.
I tried searching repeatedly but found nothing to fix it.

FInally I tried a Chrome reset.
This somehow seems to have fixed it.

I did the Chrome reset and deleted browsing history/cookies etc and went through Chromes settings trying everything I can.
I am still getting wildly wrong times on youtube videos, ie the thumb may say :35 but it'll be 15m.
Or icons and titles will be correct but it'll have the wrong channel name.

While its not 'impairing' my surfing or anything its just drat irritating trying to guess which channels are which.
If anyone has any suggestions.
The only other thing I can think of is a complete uninstall and search through folders making sure it's been completely deleted.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

On the off chance, do you have HDR turned on?
I had weird problems with certain applications being washed out awhile back and couldnt figure it out until I was just randomly browsing my settings.
Turned it off and all was fine.
Slim chance, but maybe.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 26, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I also use this for places like Washington post which always seems to bypass the bypasser.
Just turning off javascript will usually block any images and stuff on the page but will also get rid if that window that greys everything out.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/quick-javascript-switcher/geddoclleiomckbhadiaipdggiiccfje?hl=en

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Nosre posted:

Just got my first ads on Youtube in however many years, so hello sad friends

What is this "we still have a few months" thing? Seems like it's now, outside of maybe short-term workarounds like that ^

Usually I give Chrome updates a few days so Ublock has time to update.
It always has worked out, just make sure to go to extensions and force an update and then reload YT.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Javid posted:

Can anyone suggest an extension or script that will let me turn this poo poo off on a per-domain basis?

There is the Quick Javascript Switcher which lets you disable javascript per site

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/quick-javascript-switcher/geddoclleiomckbhadiaipdggiiccfje

Also lets me bypass the 'you have already viewed 2 articles this month' bullshit on sites like Washington Post.
Although you also cant view images there because of it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I guess everyone is getting the "please don't use adblock" popup now when you go to youtube?

I was getting it with every video a day or so ago.
I had a chrome update waiting for a few days, did a Ublock update then relaunched chrome and its gone away for me.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I guess everyone is getting the "please don't use adblock" popup now when you go to youtube?

Ahh poo poo.
It came back, but now it has a timer before I can close it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

This seems to be blocking the Youtube timer popup.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-for-youtube-ad-bl/lagdcjmbchphhndlbpfajelapcodekll

Found in this reddit thread which has other extensions being listed.
https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/171yvrv/they_added_a_damn_timer_for_the_adblock_is_not/

I tried that first one though and it seems to be working fine for me, for now.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I think its happening randomly and people doing things like adding new extensions and thinking its working but it may not be.
I was getting the warning a lot and tried different addons, but stopped trying and have just been using Ublock origin.
My first warning was on the 5th and I got a lot of warnings for about a week, but the past week since I stopped messing with it and I have gotten like 2 maybe 3 warnings tops, and I use YT a ton.
But I havent heard of anyone outright being blocked from using YT at this point.
Just warnings with timers that you can X out of.

I'm sticking with Ublock and seeing what happens.
Adblock has trended on Twitter once or twice and the general consensus was that Youtube can just gently caress off.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Well dont I feel silly, here I am saying that i'm just going to ride it out until they actually start to block people and I just got fully blocked from watching any video.
Not a popup, embedded into the video with no amount of refreshing, or restarting browser to let me watch it.

Wait.
Opened Ublock dashboard, purged caches and updated it and back to normal.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

One of the last Chrome updates added padding to the menus/address.
For instance, my right click menu in Chrome now has to mouse scroll to see all options.
Is there a way to fix this?

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 20, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

The only possible lead I found was searching for Refresh 2023 in chrome://flags and disabling both of the results & restarting.
It only seems to happen when you have too many plugins putting their own lines in that menu.

That fixed it, thanks a ton.
I and someone else on discord were having this problem since one of the last updates and had been bothered with it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Saw this from Ublock Origin on Reddit.
Probably a good place to look for any future Youtube adblocking problems.

"Disclaimer: YouTube changes their detection scripts twice a day, which means that even if you got a filter update earlier today, another one might be required soon. There's no way around this if you want to remain logged in."

https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/17j6ygs/youtube_antiadblock_and_ads_october_29_2023_mega/

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

tangy yet delightful posted:

The padding on the right click menus sucks total rear end.

This worked for me

sauer kraut posted:

The only possible lead I found was searching for Refresh 2023 in chrome://flags and disabling both of the results & restarting.
It only seems to happen when you have too many plugins putting their own lines in that menu.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Doesnt Arc come with AI already in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

After this recent update, my right click menu was padded enough that it required scrolling to see all the options.
Quoting this because they did it again.
Found a reddit thread on it though.
https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/1bjd74f/new_chrome_design_comparison_and_the_flags_to/

And making sure these 2 were disabled fixed it for me.

chrome-refresh-2023
customize-chrome-side-panel

Specifically that second option was what did it for me, since I changed the first one last time.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 24, 2024