Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to keep some preferences computer-specific? I want to Adblock forums avatars on my computer at work but not on my computer at home. This is for perfectly legitimate reasons, not relating to slacking off at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If it came with some kind of built-in replacement plan for that three years then it would be pretty attractive. If you accidentally run over it with your car then you just take it back to the google store, they hand you a new one, you log in and all your stuff is right where it was on the old broken one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Those motherfuckers. :mad:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The trick to manually managing memory usage is to never pay attention to memory usage unless your computer is actually having problems and is running out of memory, and even then it probably won't help.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am up-to-date on the beta channel and still have 8 items there. Maybe when you switched versions it reset whatever counter is used to populate that list so it is temporarily showing you less than eight?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Back in the thread about Google Reader shutting down where people were all like "what is rss? and why do it need it?" I was wondering how those people kept up with the websites that they were interested in. Based on those screenshots, I now see that they must do it by never closing a tab that they are interested in.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

z06ck posted:

Does chrome OS support Java or silverlight yet? Google tells me no.

Unnecessary frippery.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did something just change in the omnibar? When I start typing there all I get is regular google search suggestions now, it doesn't suggest pages from my history. Like I start typing "bookmark" and it doesn't suggest the forums bookmarked threads list any more. It says that I am on "28.0.1500.52 (Official Build 207119) beta" on OSX.

edit: Holy crap this is annoying. I didn't realize how much I relied on just typing whatever into the search bar and having it pull up what I really meant.

withak fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 25, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It autofills in domain names correctly, but nothing else from my history comes up. :-/ All I get is search suggestions.

If i start typing "forums" then it gives me the bookmarked threads list.

PS. bookmarkthreads.php is better than usercp.php

withak fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 25, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the buffering stopping is a bandwidth conservation measure so that if you decide to stop watching then it won't have downloaded the entire video unnecessarily.

This only works on a connection fast enough that you can always download faster than you can watch though; the right behavior would be for it to take your available bandwidth into account and let you buffer more if you need it. If your connection is slow enough then it should be able to tell that and let you buffer the entire thing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there an extension to show a progress bar somewhere while a page is loading? I am on a slow connection and it would be nice to have an idea whether an image-heavy page is going to take 10 more seconds to load or 100 more seconds to load.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Haeleus posted:

1. Is there anyway to fix a problem with youtube where setting the resolution to 720p or higher often results in the video completely stopping until I refresh (especially if I try to skip ahead)? This has been happening more and more frequently as of the last 2 months.

This also happens to me, but at lower resolutions because I'm on a slow connection. It buffers fine (but slowly) for some time, but then it just stops downloading somewhere in the middle of the video. When playback reaches that point the video just stops and nothing can make it start buffering and playing again except a page reload. It is like one chunk of the streamed data has flaked out and the buffering never retries from the broken spot.

I basically have to reload every video a handful of times to watch anything for longer than a minute or so.

It is pretty much impossible to google the problem because all you find are people whose complaints are obviously because their connection is too slow to stream at the resolution they want.

Google also apparently changed something over the last few months to optimize streaming by automatically stepping-down the resolution if the connection isn't fast enough, which also resulted in a bunch of buffering-related complaints. They also made it so buffering pauses once it gets far enough ahead of playback and restarts when playback starts to catch up.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 28, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bigger files take longer to download.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ultimateforce posted:

I tried to Control-F "Chrome" through the first couple pages of threads and didn't see it.

Is there a Chromebook thread some place?

Forums search says no.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It looks like tabs that make noise now get a little blinking speaker icon next to their title so when some rear end in a top hat website autoplays a loud video in a background tab then you can kill it ASAP.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
gently caress you HoverZoom.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Chrome just silently added some kind of notification icon to my OSX menu bar and I can't find an option anywhere to turn it off. The icon doesn't respond to Cmd+drag either.

Google :argh:

withak fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 25, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just got a warning that a suspicious extension had been automatically disabled.

The bad guy: Google Docs :raise:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

beejay posted:

Additionally, I got a new system tray icon which was apparently Google Notifications. I guess some people have had this for a while but it just came up from this latest Chrome update for me. No options to turn it off in Chrome settings, but if I disabled all the notifications it went away after browser restart. I am just not happy that Google is doing this stuff and not giving any options to configure it.

It won't stay gone FYI.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

dpbjinc posted:

Because minimalist designs are the hot new style in application development. If your application does more than the absolute minimum, it's worse than useless.

I am currently designing a browser that consists only of a minimal plugin framework. The user is required to use plugins if he wants to do extra stuff like access web pages, render html, view images, etc.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Delete the saved gmail l/p and relevant cookies from Chrome.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is this caused by Chrome or by some forums font-related thing?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Disabling SALR didn't help, I didn't try Adblock. The problem comes and goes, and right now it is gone so I can't experiment.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Something to do with being able to switch accounts I think. On my Mac at home that button has my username, but on my PC at work that button isn't there. IDK what is going on.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Move your mouse faster. Seriously.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Get a running start from below the text if you overshoot.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is a pretty dumb annoyance that I'm pretty sure is mostly due to html writers being dumb jerks and not paying attention to how stuff actually works as long as they get to keep their brand in your face, but is there anything I can do to fix it on my end?

http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/city-planning-kid-friendly-cities-families

This page (for example) has a title/menu overlay thingy that is stuck to the top of the browser window while content scrolls by behind it. If you read the article by whacking the space bar over and over, the first few lines after each page down are hidden by the stupid menu, so the only way to actually read the whole thing is to page down then scroll back up a few lines each time. Is there a way to make Chrome page down in a way that takes title bars like this into account? The Instapaper site is another example of a stuck title bar that covers up text after a page-down.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 14, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have 302 open tabs (no I don't).

edit: Luckily, mystery numbers on websites that I never look at don't bother me at all. I bet that number gets higher the longer I ignore it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

I have 302 open tabs (no I don't).

edit: Luckily, mystery numbers on websites that I never look at don't bother me at all. I bet that number gets higher the longer I ignore it.

Update: It says that I'm up to 311 open tabs today!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
FYI I am the final word on how much resources any particular program should be using.

Chrome uses an acceptable amount of resources.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did a Google Dictionary extension install itself for anyone else recently?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of switching back to Lunix just so I can have my H.R. Giger UI theme again.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It wouldn't be web browsers if the user didn't insist on an option to roll back to terrible outdated features.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Your poo poo was hosed up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is probably an extension or something. The download bar seems pretty unobtrusive to me tho.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there an extension like Hoverzoom+ or Imagus that works on images in embedded tweets?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
GIS "beautiful scenes"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am trying to figure out why embedded videos in tweets won't play. If I open a tweet in an incognito window then it works, so it is something in my setup. I have disabled all of my extensions (adblock, etc.) and it still doesn't work so it isn't something from an extension. I don't see anything in the settings that would affect embedded videos, what am I missing?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone pointed me towards this extension from google that puts google earth images on your new tab page if you are into that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:cry: my workflow! :cry: