Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ciaphas posted:

That's actually what I used to do, then I learned that only one window (the "first" one) would be restored after chrome/the computer crashes entirely.

That was a sad day :(

Odd, I restored multiple windows after a crash just yesterday.

I do seem to have a vague memory of having that issue in the past... maybe they fixed it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

We had a bit of discussion earlier about tab management. I usually group tabs by window, and I just came across this extension called Spaces which lets you name windows, save all the tabs in a window, and switch between them via a hotkey.

Works pretty well in my testing this afternoon.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is this like FreshStart and OneTab which lets you control your tabs and save them for later?

Why don't you try it out and see?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

reagan posted:

Does anybody have any idea why Chrome is displaying some images like this? The color grading is all hosed up. Reinstalling Chrome did not work, so I thought it was my video card drivers, but that didn't fix it. Firefox and IE display the same pictures just fine.

That image looks hosed up on Chrome, Firefox, and IE for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

reagan posted:

Is this a joke, because I deliberately took a screenshot of what it looked like in Chrome so that people would understand what I meant.

Well you didn't say that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Just use uBlock.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mill Village posted:

I've had a lot of problems with adblockers freezing Chrome, so I went back to Firefox for now.

This...is not normal.

Michael Scott posted:

Sorry your computer is broken. Never happened to me. Use AdBlock.

No one uses AdBlock any more! (and by "no one" I mean nerds who follow this poo poo)

Use uBlock.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I had that when I upgraded to Win10 a few months ago. Nothing but wiping my Chrome profile and starting afresh fixed it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cabbit posted:

Here's one.

Edit: The ads that seem to be cropping up link to other videos on YouTube, from corporate accounts. This is the actual ad that rolled before that video.

Using this uBlock, I get no ads there.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Is there a way to go straight to the new tab page from a currently existing tab?

For example, I've got SomethingAwful open in a tab. Currently, if I'm done with SA, and want to go to new tab page, I close SA tab and open a new tab. It would be nice to have just one action to replace current tab with new tab page which has links to my most used sites right on it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Snow Fire posted:

If you don't have a home page you care about, you could set your home page to the new tab page so that pressing the home button just goes to the new tab page directly from your current tab.

Lol. I completely forgot there was such a thing as a Home button. I've had it disabled for years.

Anyway, that works perfectly, thanks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

flatluigi posted:

The Youtube Center script's development seems to be dead, what are some good alternatives?

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter Hasn't been updated since August.

That sucks. Easily the best youtube tool I've used.

I might fork that poo poo and continue development...

Ok, that's probably another of those things I say and then never follow through on.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

flatluigi posted:

The Youtube Center script's development seems to be dead, what are some good alternatives?

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter Hasn't been updated since August.

The original dev is making updates to this again.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Sorry, just to clarify - the PDFs don't open in Chrome, they open in Preview. In Outlook I click on the down arrow next to the file and click "Download" and it does download into my Downloads folder on the computer, but doesn't show up in the download bar at the bottom of the Chrome window and opens in Preview automatically. In Outlook you can't right click and Save As on attachments. On any other attachment, that "Download" option saves with the expected behavior.

I'd think it were an Outlook issue if it appeared in the downloads bar and didn't automatically open.

What is "Preview"?

Chrome has it's own built-in preview function, but you're talking like its something other than that maybe?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any extension that streamlines content to maximize readability?

Basically what "Reader" mode in Safari does.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/readability-redux/jggheggpdocamneaacmfoipeehedigia

Also, there's extensions for the various read-it-later sites that do the same thing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

I think it's a security thing...forcing you to be aware of what extensions you're running.

Yeah, even if this wasn't their intention, I think it's a good idea to surface this information in some way.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

If you use the better history extension, you better check your poo poo:

https://github.com/better-history/better-history/issues/330

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Why the gently caress is this so common, anyways? Why can't people just make a useful thing without adding malware to it?

Yeah, like Che Delilas says, the author sold it.

In an ideal world you'd vet the company who came along and offered you 50 grand for your hobby project, but...I mean it's 50 grand for something you built for fun.

I'm not really sure what the solution to this class of problems is.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

Extension developers need to be way more skeptical, and/or just accept the fact that their hobby will never win them the lottery.

Right, that's what I'm saying...that's the ideal world.

But, I have a hard time thinking most people are going to just go "no way!" when some company comes along that says the right words along with a check for 50 grand. In fact, I'm not even sure how some lone developer who made something for fun is even going to have the capability or wherewithal to ensure their project isn't misused by the new owner.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

mr.belowaverage posted:

Is that the likely reason, when I'd had the extension for years?

I don't know anything about your extension, but extensions get malware added to them all the time either by the developer or by whatever company the developer sells it to. It's a great strategy. Develop something useful, get it installed on lots of people's computers, then add some sort of malware and since extensions auto-update everyone automatically gets your malware.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Is this page an absolute CPU hog for anyone else? (warning: it's a walking dead s06e09 recap so spoilers if you read it)

http://www.vox.com/2016/2/15/10994670/the-walking-dead-episode-9-recap-premiere-no-way-out

It just sits there burning one of my CPU cores forever...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

Is anyone else noticing downloads sometime seem to bog down the browser to the point of making the UI lag for up to half a second? And the behavior goes away as soon as the download is completed? Its become frequent for me. I'm only running the extension ublock origin, modified tab order and no smooth scrolling and the only anti virus is win10's built-in one.

I've had that behavior happening on and off for years when download is finishing and up it's always been MSE/Defender/"win10's build-in one".

Keep task manager running and download something that exhibits this behavior and you'll probably see the anti virus churning when Chrome is lagging.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Megasabin posted:

Recently I've been noticing Chrome is taking up a shitload of memory. I usually have 15-20 tabs open, and it starts off at about 7-8gigs, and then over a couple of day will work it's way up to 10-11gigs. Is there anything I can do to reduce this other than have less tabs open?

What problem are you trying to solve? Why does it matter how much memory chrome is using?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

If he has less RAM than Chrome wants it might be an issue? Not all computers can upgrade their RAM.

Yes, I can think of many reasons to care about it. I'm wondering what his reasons are.

After all, it's very common for people to complain about something using all their RAM when there's not actually a problem to be solved.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I give about a 70% chance address-bar-mover guy would (a) end up with something that looks like poo poo and (b) is less usable even for him and (c) he would think its awesome.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

eSporks posted:

I have weird issue with chrome where middle clicking to open in a new tab does not always work.
I bought a new mouse thinking the mouse was faulty, but it still does it.
Middle click also works fine in video games, and it works in chrome when I hold it down for the drag scroll thing.

It's like chrome is just dropping the input.

Does it work in Incognito Mode? If so, then its an extension.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Butt Savage posted:

Anyone have a favorite tree style tab extension? I use one for Firefox but I prefer chrome and it's the only thing missing from the perfect chrome experience.

I use Tabs Outliner. Not the best thing ever, but its OK.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Even though I'm extremely used to using backspace to go back, I decided against using any of the workaround to re-enable it.

There's a decent chance that eventually, these extensions will become unsupported and then the only option is the Alt-Left shortcut. I'd rather just learn that now and get it done.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Your question doesn't make sense. Do you mean you want to maximize video to the window size? I think you need to write a Greasemonkey script or something similar to that...and that will only work for html5 videos.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

mike12345 posted:

You click the "maximize to full screen" button, but instead the video will maximize to fit the window.
Ok, but you said maximize the browser not the video. I got you now though.

mike12345 posted:

Sure that's always an option. But I was curious if there was an addon.

Right, there isn't because every site is going to have their own way of styling their HTML5 video players.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

wormil posted:

Crazy question, maybe, is there a way to search a webpage using variables? Something like, catvideo01??, to find all cat videos with a suffix in the 100's. That's just a wacky example to get my meaning across, it's not like I watch cat videos, pft. Anyway, is that possible

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-regex-search/bpelaihoicobbkgmhcbikncnpacdbknn

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

So here's a complaint.

Chrome/Chromecast thingy lets you cast a tab to Hangouts.

This idea is super awesome because you can share a webpage to someone over Hangouts and talk about the page or whatever.

The stupid thing is that you have to set up a Calendar event wherein you invite everyone who is going to participate in the casted hangout tab thingamabob.

What the gently caress? Why can't I just select the Cast button in Chrome and cast to one of my contacts?

Google...always making things weird and complicated.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there any way to do this? Preferably something 'cleaner' than sticking it in the default hive RunOnce or something?

I have no idea if this would work, but what about making a clean profile and then just copying its folder when needed?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Are anyone else's Google accounts flipping out? I had to re-sign in from scratch on my Chromebook and phone, GMelius is popping up every 10 minutes asking me to sign in, MightyText isn't working, and there's a Google Play Services notification asking me to sign in (I think it's being triggered my MightyText but I can't tell), but even after doing so successfully it doesn't go away. Apparently they just rolled out some new 2FA messages but something is not working correctly.

Yes its happening to a lot of people.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah, I think it looks much better.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

biznatchio posted:

Because if they don't have an ad blocker, users will install one, or switch to a different browser with one. By building in their own ad blocker, they get to control it and can pull an ABP and decide to let "acceptable ads" (read: Google's ads) through. Just block the annoying poo poo, which Google's never really served up anyway, and users will more than likely be content with it.

I'm actually OK with this as long as the acceptable ads stay in line with what I consider acceptable. I only block ads because they make the web such a poo poo experience...I don't actually enjoy depriving sites of revenue.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Google and others have made progress at perceptual ad recognition. In other words, instead of blacklisting domains or whatever like all the current ad blocking stuff, software is trained to recognize ads visually/textually. I wonder if that's what Google is looking at doing.

Here's a proof-of-concept experimental extension to go along with this paper.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Google talks about the ad blocking features that will be built in to Chrome in 2018:

https://blog.google/topics/journalism-news/building-better-web-everyone/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Software using lots of RAM is not a problem. Only worry about it if you're having actual problems with using your computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

thehoodie posted:

Is there some sort of Chrome app that would allow me to highlight things from an article/page, right click and have it save to a file or extension page, and sort based on page title?

For example:

It's not a Chrome app exactly, but OneNote has a Chrome extension that can do this I think. Evernote also.