Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I recently came across the best extension I've ever used. Vimium

Basically, it lets you do all your browsing without touching the mouse and it's super fast and smooth. I hesitate to write this sentence because I don't want to scare people off, but it uses vim-style keyboard shortcuts for navigation. I spent a day making myself use it and now I'm pretty proficient with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t67Sn0RGK54

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, I get the same thing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

I mean I forgot it was a thing to worry about as I was so used to it until I was reading a thread where the tweet was just a link, so at least as it is currently implemented I don't think it's doing what you say on my end at least.

You've got something weird going on because just pasting the link works.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Det_no posted:

Well new Firefox finally broke the camel's back but is there any way to make Chrome's bookmarks more useful? Opening the list from my toolbar takes a good six seconds and then scrolls so impossibly slow it's practically unusable (I have some 6k bookmarks).

I've downloaded this extension in the meantime. It loads in an instant and you can actually scroll through it much faster so it kind of works but it's still kind of sluggish and I'm not quite sure why that has to be. Makes me think that chrome would be much happier if you only had like twenty bookmarks so maybe there's another way and my huge list of old websites I've gathered over the years is a faux pas these days.

I'm using regular old chrome, Version 62.0.3202.94 (Official Build) (64-bit).

What possible use can you get out of having 6000 bookmarks?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Det_no posted:

Keeping track of sites over the years? Why wouldn't I? Firefox could do it, Edge could do it. Surely processing and displaying a long text file is not an herculean task.

How is that keeping track?

Putting an url on a list that large isn't "keeping track". What purpose does it serve? How does it make your browsing better?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Det_no posted:

Why do you sound personally offended?

What? I'm trying to understand if there's some useful way of using 6000 bookmarks because I'd sure like to use it! I certainly have no reason to be offended at the arrangement of bits on your computer.

How does having an url somewhere in a pile of 6000 urls help you?

Will you ever have a need to reference url #123 and how would you know that is the url you need? How is your system better than just Google?

I find that usually people with a large bookmark collection are just doing it out of some compulsion and have never thought about it critically.

From everything I've seen over the years large link collections like that are actually better served with a full text capture into something like evernote or onenote because you can at least search and it takes care of the significant problem of link rot. However, I'd certainly like to hear about a good way of using a pile of urls because it'd be easier than clipping pages to onenote like I do now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

Any web devs encounter the LastPass extension loving with debugging in Dev Tools when dealing with form fields? Any quick fix other than disabling the extension?

I don't think there's a quick fix.

I'm of the opinion you should be developing in a clean (Incognito) version of Chrome anyway...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I hate all this stuff about extensions getting abused because I use a lot of very useful extensions and who knows WTF they're doing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

New Chrome design is super nice looking.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FWIW, mine still work.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Watch your task manager while it's doing it. Probably your virus scanner. I've always had that happen in Chrome and it's always been my virus scanner.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lambert posted:

It doesn't fit into the Windows 10 design language at all and looks like an old version of Firefox. All that rounded stuff simply clashes with other applications and especially UWP ones. They should be emulating Edge and not implement some bastardized and devolved version of Material design.

The more apps I can access via my browser the better.

MS should be trying to match my browser not the other way around. :colbert:

(for real though, I gave up caring about a unified experience across all my applications a decade ago. Web apps all look different, and very large percentage of native apps don't match any sort of standard...and you know what? I don't really care at all.)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Why these authors act like bastards all of a sudden is beyond me.

Money.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I think you can even have your windows user accounts have no passwords, and you just click whichever account when you sit down at your PC.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Javid posted:

it would've saved everyone involved a lot of stress

Yeah, I'm sure people were really stressed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Rexxed posted:

I don't think you can undo it, but you can just sort them by hand. You may want to make some folders if you really have a lot.

He said it was a long list of bookmarks and then he said it was so long his system was frozen while it was sorting them by name.

Something tells me sorting by hand is not a workable solution.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I actually gave up on bookmarks years ago. It's too much of a time sink to keep them organized and usable. Whatever shows up on the new tab page is good enough. For anything else, Google can find what I want to find, and if I'm worried about not being able to find it again the site goes into Evernote Onenote Notion.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

qsvui posted:

I think bookmarks are fine if you're using the omnibar or some sort of extension that lets you easily type in what you want, such as Vimium. I'm pretty sure I have over 100 bookmarks but I can easily find what I want by typing :shrug:.

100 bookmarks is childs play!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Bookmarks are the modern equivalent of this:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lambert posted:

I assume they won't. Seems like Safari-style ineffective adblocking is the future.

Nah. Adblocking at the router or something like PiHole.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Do you have an especially low-spec system where Chrome is running up against resource constraints?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Resonance posted:

I'm still having this issue on my work desktop, my tabs are constantly discarded (and I only have ~5 open at a time) early in the day before I've even loaded much else, so there does seem to be some weird glitch on Windows. No problems at all with my crappy 2gb chromebook.

FWIW, I often have over 30 tabs open on my Windows machine (which has 32GB of ram) and do not see this issue.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've given Vivaldi a committed try over the past 3 weeks.

And...I've grown to love it! I wasn't sold on it at first, but I came around and I won't be switching back to Chrome.

Being based on Chromium, it's got the parts of Chrome that I most wanted to keep and added a lot of really nice stuff.

My favorite feature is moving my tabs to the side and turning of tab previews. I just have a nice stack of tabs all down the left side of the window with actual readable titles.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lambert posted:

With the latest update, after tab mute now the "close other tabs" option is gone as well. How do people survive without? "Close tabs to the right" seems much less useful, why did only that option survive.

I'd love to use Vivaldi, but last time I tried, it didn't have the "Create shortcut" option Chrome/Chredge have that allows me to open my emails in its own window.

Yeah, I use that option with Chrome for my gmail as well. Since Vivaldi doesn't seem to have it, I still just use the Gmail in its Chrome window.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

jiggerypokery posted:

Is there a way to lock down chrome extensions so they can't make network requests?

I want to use http://www.bumblebeesystems.com/wastenotime/#main but the permissions chrome extensions need are loving insane? It can 'read and change my data on all websites I visit'.

e: Do google do anything to stop people writing total honey trap extensions?

The problem is that the permissions system in Chrome isn't fine-grained enough.

The "read and change data on all websites I visit" permission is required for that extension because that's the only permission they can ask for that lets them see the websites you visit.

There is no "get url/name of websites I visit" permission.

But, Google does pay attention to bad actors, it's just that it's basically impossible to automate the detection of "bad" extensions.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lambert posted:

So, basically, it hides the parts relevant to plenty of people for no gain to anyone. Got it.

Ehh, I think plenty of normal people are confused by all the technical stuff in the address bar, so I wouldn't say "no gain to anyone".

I'm not making any comments about whether the tradeoff is worth it or not.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It's pretty useful for being able to throttle heavy CPU usage JS when the user isn't watching the fancy game/animation/spreadsheet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I guess I'm missing something about why everyone is bent out of shape on this.

It's been possible to detect if user has window focused or visible for many years, this just gives a better API for it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I mean they may or may not be wanting to do YT shenanigans, but prior to this API it was already possible

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

101 posted:

That's a fair point. I might give Vivaldi a try for a few days

It's good but still needs polish. I now use it for maybe 75% of my browsing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It's funny that I switched into my browser to take a break from developing a library for python that uses the exact same windows APIs that are talked about in that document. (I'm so tired of the limitations of AutoIT and AHK)

Hooking windows events is super common for many applications to do. It's not some shady weird thing. The APIs talked about in that document aren't peeking around into other processes. These are events that are broadcast to the whole system about the size and position of all the windows on the desktop.

Of course, it's true that if you do it wrong like hooking from EVENT_MIN to EVENT_MAX, not throttling/debouncing, and running CPU-intensive callbacks on events it can really impact your CPU load...but since it seems like the whole purpose of that document is to improve performance I would assume they won't do it wrong.

edit: I'm really struck by how much all of the thinking in that document are the same sort of things I've had to think about over the past many months working on this library of mine.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 17, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

If you want an alternative browser based on Chromium, you should look into Vivaldi.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Maybe try creating a new Chrome profile and seeing if it happens there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lambert posted:

The reason is Google introducing and now abandoning the Chrome Web Apps Store, which is why Remote Desktop made this strange transition.

Does is work well with dual screen setups now? I remember this not being the case a few years ago.

I use it with 3 screens occasionally. It's fine.