Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone knows what the hold up is in creating a 64bit version for Windows? Searching for it, I land on a bunch of outdated wiki paged at their project site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I use the 64bit versions of Firefox. They appear to be faster, and they're currently a little more resilient, because any buffer overrun exploits and the like are not expecting 64bit mode.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Google just advertised a goddamn Chromebook on my home/bookmark screen. Is that a sign of things to come? If in future I'm already getting hammered with ads before even having surfed to a single URL, I'll gladly go back to Firefox.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How the hell to I stop Chrome from hijacking the mailto: URI handler? This is loving annoying and breaks a function in a Windows 8 app of mine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Are there any extensions that prevent sites from hijacking the middle click? I'm getting loving tired of this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Does anyone know by chance a Chrome extension, that'll highlight results from specific sites within the search results on Google? Pretty much the opposite of Personal Block List. It'd help when checking out results when following up on search terms showing up in Google Analytics.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Dev channel Chrome has a flag for DirectWrite now. Seems to work OK, don't see much of a difference, because you can't select any of the alternative antialiasing modes, including 2D ClearType.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Should you ever have issues with Chrome and bigger sites that use IPv6 and wide content distribution networks, say like Youtube frequently throwing video errors, this may be related to a technique called Happy Eyeballs, which tries to initiate connections to a server on both IPv4 and IPv6, so that it can fall back onto IPv4 should the server on IPv6 not react quickly enough (say you have a flaky IPv6 connection like a tunnel). This is a technique the IETF thought up to minimize end user pain during the transition the next decade or so.

The problem however is that sites like Youtube are interested in protecting their data, and if an IP address that hasn't been authorized tries to directly access the content server, it'll get blocked or returned a no-content error. Authorization to a specific content server comes by loading the video page first, which incidentally tells your browser what server to access. If it enables your IPv6 address to go ahead and Chrome suddenly decides it rather wants to use the initiated IPv4 connection, there's going to be a problem.

Sadly, the Chromium developers don't seem to be interested in letting end users disable Happy Eyeballs. Which is disappointing, considering that technique has been suspected for a variety of issues according to their bugtracker. Personally, it means I have to defer to Firefox, which lets you disable Happy Eyeballs (IE up to version 11 doesn't even do it), because I fully intend to use my IPv6 connection, given that it's native.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That I'm still seeing this day...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Youtube, Adblock and Ghostery work, so gently caress 32bit. :toot:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is Chrome doing some other sort of DNS lookups beyond the servers set in your network interfaces? IE and Firefox have no problems with the changed DNS settings of my domain. However in Chrome, after clearing the DNS cache, it works for a while and suddenly lookups appear to be returning old data again.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone else here using the dev branch, who's having issues with browsing incomplete websites? For a few days now, it seems like here and there the browser aborts in middle of the site load for no reason and renders the pages with broken CSS and no images.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone else having grief with the Adblock Plus extension, where it sometimes just locks up all IO with a message in the status bar saying "Waiting for Adblock Plus extension"? Disabling (and reenabling) makes it go away. I'm on 64bit beta-m.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, it does. I've installed it and it seems to do pretty much the same things as Adblock Plus.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So uh, when did backspace navigation get disabled?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Looks like it's worthwhile to completely kill Chrome every few hours. Because it appears after long runtime, it enters some weird state that'll keep the CPU running at a high clock, despite idling pages and generally low CPU usage. Made up to 20W difference on the Kill-a-watt leaving an old Chrome session idle vs. a fresh one with the same pages opened.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea, Firefox.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So I guess Google feels threatened by Chredge, otherwise I don't see why they started copying the new UI pages that Edge introduced. Since they're not that Material Design to begin with.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Raspberry Pi + Pi Hole.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised, if there's more sophisticated solutions that do deep packet inspection of HTTP requests and strip requests based on querystrings and poo poo.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Edge team did an AMA recently on Reddit, and they were wishy-washy about that topic.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If a really huge asteroid would smash into the Google HQ, as a return favour for Amp, that'd be great.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

effika posted:

:10bux: says it's so they can stop people from playing YouTube in the background without a YouTube music subscription
So, uh, drop the relevant browser tab in its own window, and presto? Or are they going to do overlap checks?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Overlap checks is what the twitter thread and all the recent replies are about.
I guess I should have said partial overlap. Power users tend more likely to work with everything in windowed modes on large screens. Say if a Youtube window is overlapped only 75% would it stop playing or not. If so, that'd be pretty mean.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I looked this WebContents occlusion poo poo up some more. These assholes over at Google want to hook into all running processes in the session, just to figure out if a window moved? gently caress that poo poo. Edgium was so nice, I guess not.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I guess I'm missing something about why everyone is bent out of shape on this.
The biggest issue I have is that they want to put Chrome's fingers into other processes, so it can figure out whether another application's window has moved, to reduce the amount of occlusion checking. Absolutely don't agree with this sort of fuckery.

I suppose in the case of Edgium, I can just run it permanently inside WDAG to wall it off, but I guess eventually I'll just switch to Firefox, until they do something stupid, too.

--edit:
Here's a quote from the Windows SDK documentation, that's probably relevant besides the principle of not wanting Chrome to snoop around among all processes:

quote:

Hooks tend to slow down the system because they increase the amount of processing the system must perform for each message. You should install a hook only when necessary, and remove it as soon as possible.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 17, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have a bunch of lag issues with Chredge (and also Chrome), when video is playing and it resizes smoothly for whatever reason, e.g. the site doing an animation when switching viewport sizes, or there being user resizable elements. That lag caused weird issues internally, leading to an eventual GPU driver crash after some runtime.

I eventually noticed that it only happens on my primary display but not the secondary one, and finally tracked it down to multimonitor while using VRR/G-Sync. Disabling fullscreen-only G-Sync made things work flawlessly. Of course, that's not an option. Finally, I found that if you go into Edge/Chrome flags/experiments and force the ANGLE backend to D3D11on12, everything's smooth as butter, with two displays and G-Sync. So if you have weird issues, try that one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So regarding WebGPU and all this stuff, Chromium is having this Dawn stuff, which is their implementation. Is the Chromium renderer going to move onto Dawn eventually? Just wondering as to when we'd get a proper D3D12 renderer in Chrome.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Subtitles in PrimeVideo keep breaking in recent Chromium based browsers. loving awesome.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is there a way or extension in Chrome/Edge to tell webservers to gently caress off with their WEBP format? What's the most annoying is that it shows as a JPEG in the link and wanting to save it, it'll do as WEBP. Why even?

Also, why the gently caress does Photoshop still not support the WEBP format, anyway? (Since I'm wanting to reuse the stuff.)

--edit:
I've been messing with ModHeader to specifically exclude WEBP, turns out a bunch of web servers are being douchy and ignoring the formats Accept (and yea, I'm delisting */*).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 6, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Thanks.

Shouldn't need an external plugin nowadays on a current version, tho.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So this Manifest V3 bullshit that's coming and loving over adblocking extensions... any way to deal with this? I'm running Adguard Home as DNS relay here on my network, but that only blocks traffic to specific servers, and won't deal with inline stuff. Any other possibilities, should the doom and gloom prove correct? Like some HTTP(S) proxy type of solution?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eh, since it's a core part of Chromium and I don't expect other Chromium based browsers to keep a forever fork, they're all affected. Firefox meh. If it comes to that.

As far as HTTPS proxying, I was more thinking of self-hosted solutions.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is there any particular reason why Chromium based browsers refuse to resolve anything at all, as soon the Internet connection to the outside world is down, despite a local DNS server that keeps working just fine?

I have Adguard Home running, that rewrites a bunch of DNS entries (*.home stuff). Earlier my DSL line went down, figured to check my modem, which is at fritzbox.home and Edge claims a DNS error and it can't resolve the URL. I'm like what? Try Chrome instead, same poo poo. I try nslookup, it does it just fine. I fire up Firefox, it ain't bothered by it, either.

Why is Chromium being this obnoxious?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Adguard is the only DNS server Chromium knows about, per ipconfig and considering I have my DHCP server serve only its IP as DNS service. When I stop the Adguard container, resolves in the browser break as expected. What's uncool is that it also breaks when the upstream connection goes down. There's no reason for that, IMO. As said earlier, the system resolver (via nslookup) keeps resolving just fine. I mean I understand if it doesn't resolve say google.com, because it relies on upstream data (if the cache is cold, anyway), but the rewrites should keep working. I don't think DNSSEC should matter on a local .home TLD.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's disabled already.

Klyith posted:

But I can't replicate your result: if the internet is down, my router "helpfully" redirects all http traffic to a router page telling me that the internet is down. Including local domain results! :ughh:
And that's consistent on both browsers.
I presume that behavior is somehow related to what's happening here.

Klyith posted:

Anyways my suggestion is just putting network appliances on static IPs and typing numbers.
I'm being pedantic about things for no good reason and attempting to stick to IPv6 only where possible because, so...

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 6, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The current Edge Beta release leaves a shitload of child processes running when you close it, which appear to be the plugin containers among other things, based on the error toasters that pop up closing some of them. This happens despite unchecking "Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed". And they do hog quite some memory after some runtime, thanks to being Chrome. Thanks Microsoft/Google/whoever hosed this up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There shouldn't be any PWAs on the system. At least none that I knowingly installed. Unless I hit the main container process, or whatever it is supposed to be, killing other msedge.exe instances restart immediately, followed by a toaster notification about whatever Chrome/Edge extension I just killed. I'm not sure what's going on here. Discord or Steam for instances, they spawn their own instances called msedgewebview2.exe, and they're unfazed when I kill the Edge leftovers. I'm not sure what's going on.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Klyith posted:

Ublock still works, and will continue to work until at least June 2023. Here is the timeline.
lolwat?

"Starting in June in Chrome 115, Chrome may run experiments to turn off support for Manifest V2 extensions in all channels, including stable channel."

Dear god, gently caress off with your A/B tests.

Klyith posted:

No, the new method still blocks before the request to download. The change is that you have a limited filter list*, and the extension only gets to operate on the page for 5 minutes after loading. So even if you have a filter that catches youtube ads, you'll see the midroll ad halfway through a 15 minute vid.

*and in particular an extremely limited list of dynamic filters. Dynamic filters are by far the most useful, and the majority of rules you get from the built-in block lists in ublock are dynamic.
A while ago I wondered, whether there's some kind of HTTPS proxying turnkey solution a la Pi Hole or whatever.

Over at work, that stupid Blackspider poo poo can apparently do HTTPS proxying without the browser blowing up in a sea of certificate notifications. So it seems kinda possible?

Hyper Inferno posted:

Well, going to chrome://flags/ and changing "Choose ANGLE graphics backend" to D3D9 fixed all of that.
They're loving around with the graphics backend again and releasing things in a broken state.

A long while ago, using VRR here made things a stutter fest on my primary display but not the secondary one. Took quite a while convincing them and sending smartphone cam recordings of that poo poo happening, together with tailored HTML files causing this, and it was still a sing and dance to get it fixed. At the end, I switched ANGLE to D3D11on12 to get my peace, until randomly resetting it and noticing it was "fixed" (hopefully).

--edit
Why I was browsing this thread to begin with... Microsoft adopted the round omnibox from Chrome. gently caress that poo poo. This looks terrible.

--edit:
Looking at this declarativeNetRequest poo poo, I guess the best approach is a Pi Hole to filter out the egregious poo poo at the DNS level, to keep it out of the browser list, making free space for more important rules within the browser. People got to get pretty creative with regular expressions to save on entries.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 7, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

In regard to Chromium browsers, I have a funny feeling that Google will make maintaining the webRequest API a pain in the butt going forward via obnoxious codebase changes or whatever. Otherwise, I'd have figured Microsoft to have announced by now that they'd keep the webRequest API afloat, in a bid to gain marketshare.

--edit:
Hmm, how far is Brave lagging Chromium engine development? Or is it fairly current?

--edit:
Brave Rewards this, Crypto Wallet that, Blockchain over here, sponsored backgrounds over there... Well, I guess not.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nah, Edge just regularly hijacks your rightclicks, when you selected something to then "Search the web for..." because of that annoying "Search with Bing" popover.

Also, this dumb browser caused me to buy a new mouse, because it made me think a microswitch was broken, but it actually sporadically opens a link twice in two tabs. I don't have Parkinsons. Yet.

And you need to set some flag to hide that loving Bing button that'll open a flyout toolbar whenever you accidentally graze it with your cursor.