Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Just started using Chrome full time last week, after I realised they finally fixed the functionality of the tab key for omnibox suggestions.

Today I've unexpectedly found that the settings page shows up as blank...

The page is simply blank and white, except for the links to History, Extensions, Settings and help in the top left.

I've disabled all the about:flag experiments I had enabled, and disabled all my extensions, but this makes no difference, the settings page is still blank.

Any way to fix this, or should I just file a bug report?

Edit: I eventually installed the beta, which has resolved the issue.

wooger fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I have serious performance issues with Chrome on my work PC at the moment. With just maybe 10 tabs open, i get freezes, slow tab switching, white screens, and frequently see tabs refresh when I select them.

I've tried:
Disabling all plugins.
Disabling all plugins except flash, and then tried disabling either pepper flash or the normal one. I always have click to play on either way.
Disabling all extensions.
The only extensions I run anyway are AdBlock, Lastpass, Vimium & Stylish.

No difference.
This PC is Windows 7 32bit, Core 2 Duo, 32bit' 3 Gigs ram.

At home I run Ubuntu and experience none of these problems. I'm synced to the exact same Chrome profile, and I have zero problems in Chromium or Chrome. My home PC is an i5 Ivy Bridge, 16GB ram.

Am I expecting too much from an oldish PC, or is it something a re-install might fix? Firefox runs Ok on both PCs so I don't know WTF.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Gah, this new Chromebook is pointless at this price. If it had a beefed up ARM15 (Quad core with the best GPU) chip, the same ram, and otherwise identical specs, it'd be my ideal machine, for say $600, or $700 with a proper SSD.

I have the current ARM Chromebook, and it's been great performance wise, and totally replaced my iPad. I have put Ubuntu on it though.

I just want the same thing, with a better screen and nicer materials, which the pixel almost was.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Has anyone else been frustrated when trying to sign out of Chrome recently?

I'm no longer able to do this from any of the settings screens - I just get a link pointing to my google account dashboard. The 'sign out of Chrome' box is greyed out and a little yellow exclamation mark icon tells me this is 'enforced by your account administrator' when I hover over it.

When I went to the google account page, I got a summary of the Chrome sync data stored, but still no option to sign out. The only facility on that page is "Clear all".

As it turns out, the only way to finally sign my browser out was to delete the Chrome user entirely, destroying all the local data.

Is this in place for all users? I'm wondering if something different happens to me because I have a google apps account (which I administer) and I use 2 factor authentication on my account.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Anyone else using the http switchboard extension? It has a tons of features to filter, whitelist / blacklist page content, kind of similar to noscript.

But there's been a bunch of talk in the last week about how much more efficiently it can do the job of adblock / adblock plus.
https://github.com/gorhill/httpswitchboard/wiki/Adblock-Plus-memory-consumption

I've been using it for a few days now;
It takes only 3 clicks from install to set it up to behave exactly like adblock plus (blacklist only). In use it's been functionally identical, but clearly has much less overhead.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/http-switchboard/mghdpehejfekicfjcdbfofhcmnjhgaag?hl=en

I heartily recommend it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

withak posted:

Delete the saved gmail l/p and relevant cookies from Chrome.

There is an auto-login option in chrome://flags that should be checked too, that could cause a problem with this.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

As far as I can tell Chrome 64-bit doesn't work with 32-bit plug-ins. (Granted I don't exactly have a big sample size, just a PDF plugin (since Google's is kinda crap) and Unity Player, but still.)

Well that's one way to deal with NPAPI.

I know that on Linux they killed NPAPI support in v35 in any case.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is Adblock Plus not A Thing anymore? I don't understand.

Should I just switch to one of these two or something?

Adblock plus has never been the leading Adblocker extension on Chrome, and has long had performance problems compared to "Adblock". uBlock (or HTTP Switchboard) are both an order of magnitude better than that in my experience.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I've got a weird problem that just started with Chrome on my Windows 8 tablet. Sometimes, when I click, using the touchscreen, on some elements, it does this weird thing, and it won't let me click on some links.

But when I attach the keyboard and click using the trackpad, it works normally. I don't know if it's a Windows problem, or a Chrome problem, but it only happens in Chrome.

Ideas?

This is just the Chrome usability feature to make it easier to press the right link on sites designed for desktops. It's done that on Android for years. I doubt there's a way to disable it.

It will work if you just select the correct link from the zoomed version, right?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Pivit posted:

From here

You can disable this via chrome://flags

It's accessible by copy/pasting this URL it in the omnibox: chrome://flags/#enable-new-avatar-menu, disable it to remove the button.

This is actually amazing, as it makes it clear that profiles exist to the 99% of people that don't know. Also, if you enable the flag for it, you can finally lock your chrome profile now (requires Google password).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

flatluigi posted:

Trying to install Silverlight on my laptop so I can watch Amazon streaming but no matter how many times I reinstall it or chrome it just doesn't show up in chrome://plugins and it isn't detected on the site. I'm stumped, anyone know what I can do?

What OS? I believe on some OSs at least, Chrome stopped working with NPAPI plugins a few versions ago.

Try Firefox.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

supermikhail posted:

Er. What do you mean by "reset two-factor", and how do I do it?

Turn the thing off if you don't have a 2 factor authenticator app: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1064203?hl=en

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Chrome on android has a theme-color feature, that means sites can specify a color and change the theme of your browser to match them. This is confusing an annoying from my point of view is there any way to turn this feature off?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
[quote="“Thermopyle”" post="“477114985”"]
I recently came across the best extension I’ve ever used. Vimium

Basically, it lets you do all your browsing without touching the mouse and it’s super fast and smooth. I hesitate to write this sentence because I don’t want to scare people off, but it uses vim-style keyboard shortcuts for navigation. I spent a day making myself use it and now I’m pretty proficient with it.

[video type=“youtube”]t67Sn0RGK54[/video]
[/quote]

I used various extensions to re-create vim shortcuts on both Chrome & Firefox.

The best by far was Vimperator on Firefox, but it's now dying due to extension API changes over there.

On Chrome, Vimium is... OK, but another extension called CVim is far better in my opinion:
- It lets you use a separate (vim style) configuration file, which you can then sync to other machines.
- It goes a bit further with shortcuts, making more possible.
- Everything is implemented better and closer to vim (and vimperator).

I'm a Firefox user mostly, and I'm presently reduced to using Vimium for Firefox right now, as it's the only thing working in the latest versions...

[quote="“Atomizer”" post="“477139483”"]
Vimium seems pretty cool, but I’m struggling to find a reason to try it out because I already use a lot of Chrome-native shortcuts. The only thing I really need a mouse pointer for is clicking links.
[/quote]

The big advantage of these extensions ( and vim style keyboard shortcuts in general) is that they only use one key at a time. This makes it easier to type them, and you can quickly chain commands together to do things more quickly.

Also for your mouse use case (clicking links) CVim and Vimium both have a "follow link" shortcut to do this for you;

You hit the f key, and every link on the page gets a code next to it. By default this will be one or two letters.
You just type them and the browser clicks the link for you. So you can "click" any link on a page with 3 key presses.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
The new version of chrome released today will turn on a built in ad blocker by default for sites which google has decided have “unacceptable ads”. There’s no public list of the sites that are affected, and I haven’t found a single one yet while playing with the beta.

If anyone spots a site where Chrome is blocking ads (with no extensions), I’d love to know as I need to test some things for work.

See here for an explanation of the new feature:
http://d.gu.com/QGRbT6

P.s. I know all of this is irrelevant for us as we have uBlock origin installed already.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Has anyone gotten video picture-in-picture to work with apple tv (tv.apple.com)? Either with the default options or an extension.

It works in every other video site, though for some of them I've had to install an extension to pop it out with alt-P, as the option doesn't show in right click.

Doesn't work in Firefox either FWIW, so I'm convinced they've done something evil to break it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Just pirate the show then do what you want.

All content has been ripped already by professionals, so the DRM stuff is really not relevant at the point you’re consuming it - just an annoyance for end users.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Cheese Thief posted:

Real question, why would anyone use Chrome when there is Chromium? Don't you get all the benefit of the Chrome exerience, minus the (selling your privacy) to Google? FOSS == ethical; Proprietary == non-ethical, or did I just drink the koolaid thinking this.

Chromium still has a bunch of the google tracking stuff, is missing some of the media license / DRM stuff, isn’t packaged into helpful release channels, and last I checked doesn’t have built in auto update.

This makes it a bit of a pain to use directly, the only benefit being that it’s actually open source.

Otherwise in usage it’s identical to Chrome, with all the same issues.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Natsuumi posted:

What will be the ad blocking options? Or is it basically gone? I don't really want to go to another browser but it sounds like I'll be forced to.

They are deliberately breaking adblocking because they’re an advertising company.

Leave or stare at ads.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Fame Douglas posted:

The terrible engine and lack of multi-language spell check makes Firefox uninteresting to me. I also like pinning web apps to the taskbar, another missing feature.

Have you not used FF for a few years? I use both regularly for work reasons and Firefox is just as snappy.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Fame Douglas posted:

Brave is good because it has background playback on Android. Which is why I use it.

Edge is great if you want a really buggy browser that shoves as many Bing links as possible in your face and hassles you to change your search engine to Microsoft's "recommended" settings.

Also, new pointless features integrating some "partner" every few versions (who doesn't want Pinterest in their browser?). They seem to think adding as much garbage as possible is their way of getting Chrome users to switch.

Yep, 100% of my iOS YouTube usage is via Brave, official app uninstalled. PiP for YouTube is transformative, amazing that they still specifically block it, even in the official app.

Brave on iOS also blocks YouTube ads perfectly by default, and has an integrated cross-site video playlist feature. Even paid YouTube premium lacks a basic playlist feature.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

101 posted:

I believe there's some iOS Safari extensions that can force PiP on all video sites since iOS 15. Seems like you're happy with Brave but just fyi

There’s a bookmarklet / shortcut thing for safari, but it needs re-triggering often and only workable desktop mode on YouTube.

In any case, Safari content blockers can’t touch YouTube video ads, so it’s a non starter, Brave is way better.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

codo27 posted:

Back in the early days of Gmail I'd quickly go to move away from that site after finishing reading or archiving any mail, but if I did it too fast I'd get a warning that changes wouldn't be saved if I proceeded with that action. I used to blame it on dialup, but that poo poo has remained to this day.

I was noticing a coworkers immaculate inbox earlier today and I'm wondering if this is because I dont use folders and my account is 19 years old this year. Or does this happen to others as well?

Folders on an email client is pointless busywork, labels auto-assigned via rules is the way. Archive everything once you’re not actively doing something with it if you want a clean inbox. I too have massive piles of poo poo in my inbox because I don’t care where it is,l; I get notifications for new things, search is perfect for finding stuff, frequently used things love under a label.

Also, why do you feel to need to immediately close your email tab once you’re finished with it? Also pointless busywork, like swiping to close all your apps on an iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SA Forums Poster posted:

Now youtube is blocking Brave browser, does Firefox + Ublock Orgin still work?

This isn’t a thing, I’m currently watching YouTube in Brave.

Yes Firefox + ublock origin still works, but so does Chrome.